(Topic ID: 283824)

Stern Led Zeppelin Art - What Do You Think?

By Tranquilize

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which art package do you prefer and why? ”

• Pro 48 votes
    9%
  • Premium 98 votes
    19%
  • LE 63 votes
    12%
  • None - they all suck 302 votes
    59%

(511 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CB98CA21-F6AF-42B1-993A-5EB007ED7F61 (resized).jpeg
waving-flag-of-usd-sign-stock-illustration_csp9292746 (resized).jpg
inqwerdex (resized).jpg
e67b79be080287cd4c2ab3104e69ad4055919769 (resized).jpg
0631e567630f448fd42d53e43b6b4682c0ccf68a (resized).jpg
ce1e9a47f14ea28c1a35e25f8490920046ff4d9e (resized).jpg
4CCE7D74-BB59-4C4C-BAB4-1046D3E9B49C.gif
67437408-AD80-4645-A5CD-A9DBE2304BC8 (resized).jpeg
2D2D11A7-735F-4E0E-A61D-25AFC34F54AE (resized).jpeg
85BEACF4-B9CF-42BC-B26A-E8B6F459E6DF (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201216-212522_Chrome (resized).jpg
zzzzzLZ voteing (resized).png
41g0QpkQAFL._AC_ (resized).jpg
51u2XSTYKmL._AC_SX425_ (resized).jpg
unn;lkj;lamed (resized).jpg
led-zeppelin-ceramic-ashtray-d-music_1_4876990564cb19f00ae345fcbd43d244 (resized).jpg
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 3 years ago

What do you guys think?

zeps (resized).jpgzeps (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Pro for me. Side art is probably hr best, although I don;t really care since I never see the side of my machines. Plus I don;t really care if the sides match the PF; which I think is weird to care aboot.
LE is historically the worst package for me

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Pro for me. Side art is probably hr best, although I don;t really care since I never see the side of my machines. Plus I don;t really care if the sides match the PF; which I think is weird to care aboot.
LE is historically the worst to me

Interesting. I think I prefer the LE by far, but the powder coat would have to get swapped.

#4 3 years ago

None. This game is forgettable to me already.

#5 3 years ago

I personally don't like any of them but dislike the Pro art the least; what a disappointment.

EDIT: they should have went with Houses of the Holy or hired Dirty Donny to create an artwork package for at least the LE.

#6 3 years ago

Don't really care for any of them.

#7 3 years ago

I'm not really a fan of any of them. They are all sadly uninspired IMO.

#8 3 years ago

I find the Hindenburg is the best of the worst and it is incredible lazy. People are going to throw money at Stern then more at Aurich to do full cabinet decals. I wonder if Stern would let you buy it with a blank cabinet, save the time to strip it off.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Interesting. I think I prefer the LE by far, but the powder coat would have to get swapped.

For me it all powder coating looks like shit. So that horrible blue is what every LE looks like for me

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

People are going to throw money at Stern then more at Aurich to do full cabinet decals.

Tell you what, anyone getting too close to this license can definitely expect a C&D. Don't expect a thriving market for things like alternate translites on Pinside.

And replacing cabinet decals is way too much of a pain the ass, it's not a market I'd want to be in. I'd have to feel comfortable doing it myself before I'd want to sell such a thing, and I definitely don't want to do it.

I think if you buy this game you should just be at peace with how it looks.

#11 3 years ago

Sucks! Pro sucks more to me

#12 3 years ago

The need to get a focus group or something. Barf.

#13 3 years ago

You waited five decades for this???

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Great to see you back!

We have missed you!

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Yep. it's a kick in the nuts. The problem is people will still gobble it up which is why Stern can market crap like this.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#17 3 years ago
Screenshot_14 (resized).pngScreenshot_14 (resized).png
#18 3 years ago

pro is ok.

premium needs a non-redundant translight.

LE needs a different color powder coat.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Yep. it's a kick in the nuts. The problem is people will still gobble it up which is why Stern can market crap like this.

100%.

#20 3 years ago

I was curious, so was looking back through not only old album covers, but concert posters, and anything else I could find that was 'official' in any way.

Gotta say, Led Zeppelin might be a classic band, but unlike a lot of great bands, they've never had much in the way of cool art. I really didn't see much that I thought "oh man, if only they could have used this". Some people might say Mothership, but not only is that the opposite of classic, I dunno that Shepard Fairey really screams "Led Zeppelin" to me.

Clearly the license didn't allow for original art. Stern hasn't been shy about paying artists to do cool hand drawn packages of late. But that's the only way I could see this living up to what people had hoped for. Blame the band, or better yet, their management, for not letting Stern take that route. Don't call Stern lazy, I doubt this is what they wanted.

#21 3 years ago

Feck.....I think the blue looks utterly fantastic. Coming at it from a color-combo perspective. blue + red/yellow/orange

#22 3 years ago

It is difficult to imagine these designs are what their market research said was best.
Will the game play compensate? Will a $1000 topper make it better?
is-this-an-out-of-season-april-fools-joke (resized).jpgis-this-an-out-of-season-april-fools-joke (resized).jpg

#23 3 years ago

If I had the option to lose the blue, I would take the LE. The premium is the same picture everywhere. As a kid my friends and I always that the Led Zeppelin III was horrible art work for an album.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I have been moderated for saying how stupid it is to pay the prices that people pay you don't like that people buy Stern games in the end neither matters

8aaf73fca4c040424627220f58e7f0b3bd51c358 (resized).jpg8aaf73fca4c040424627220f58e7f0b3bd51c358 (resized).jpg
#25 3 years ago

the wonderbread one the best

edf3e00b-f8f8-4576-8666-03d8e3df4df0_1.341a6779ff0213ad1e6c2ae5561d6bab (resized).jpegedf3e00b-f8f8-4576-8666-03d8e3df4df0_1.341a6779ff0213ad1e6c2ae5561d6bab (resized).jpeg
#26 3 years ago

No one has mentioned re-using the WWE gold armor instead?

#27 3 years ago

The LE is the best of the three , but I would change the armor color. Pro would be second best .

#28 3 years ago

I predict a reverse GNR...

people will dislike the art but love the gameplay not vice versa.

#29 3 years ago

I have reflected on this all day. At first, I thought the art was a little less than OK. Then, I reflected on growing up in the 70's and what that felt like. The game really brought me back. The music, the clothes, skateboarding, TV and the art of that decade. I thought about Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, Basquiat and Peter Max. I honestly feel that the LE really captures the early to mid 1970's feel. This is the way they would have made the game back then. It's not what most would prefer today, but they would have loved it in 1973. So, I actually prefer the LE art almost to the point of loving it. My 2 cents.

#30 3 years ago

PinballPro has the LE listed at $99,995.95 USD. For that price:

1) Yes Sir! I will take three please! Merry Christmas to all!!

2) Jimmy Page better leave a signed vintage Les Paul under the playfield.

3) Let me know when the correct price is posted

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

None. This game is forgettable to me already.

This is the least exciting game of all the past few releases. So we went from a Tie fighter on a spring to an angel on a stick.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from freeplay3:

If I had the option to lose the blue, I would take the LE. The premium is the same picture everywhere. As a kid my friends and I always that the Led Zeppelin III was horrible art work for an album.

The artwork fits the LP's gimmick. The original album cover had a "wheel" embedded in the front you could spin, revealing different things in various holes in the cover. A band member would appear in one cutout and the others might show things related to him.

Agree that a collage would have been better. I'm thinking the licensing was just too expensive to get much of anything. If you can't afford the best albums or most popular songs, maybe just not do the license in the first place?

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#33 3 years ago

Maybe I can get these from mitoska. Could replace tha blue on the LE

d9652bf365989d52aa016e9fe434d33ae756e737 (resized).jpegd9652bf365989d52aa016e9fe434d33ae756e737 (resized).jpeg
#34 3 years ago

That stuff for BTTF?

#35 3 years ago

I think I could live with the cab art on all of them, but all three need something different for a translite instead of just repeating the cab art

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

That stuff for BTTF?

That was done for a TMNT...

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Billy16:

I think I could live with the cab art on all of them, but all three need something different for a translite instead of just repeating the cab art

That is probably what bothers me the most, shame because the mirroring looks good in the high res photos.
Wouldn’t have been hard for them to do something different there.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

That was done for a TMNT...

Ahh makes sense.. the one narrow DMD game I couldn't remember! Checkpoint, hook, batman, BTTF... and yea TMNT

#39 3 years ago

Pro by a mile, it’s fantastic imo

#40 3 years ago

I love the LE artwork, I just took a look around at my pins and said to myself, I have absolutely nothing that looks remotely close to those colors. Maybe as a single game, no, but once in a collection think it will stick out like a sore thumb in a good way, probably be the conversation piece by far, like a throwback. I mean, look at how when we first took a look at AIQ and thought, yellow? ordinary comic art? plasticky looking gauntlet? Now it's really the #1 game on the top 100 list. Giving it a chance.

#41 3 years ago

Led Zeppelin is way before my time and I couldn't tell you anything about them. But god Damn this game deserved better

#42 3 years ago

Unbelievable how ugly all models are. I've shown these pics to family and some non-pinball people. Nobody can believe they are real. They think it's a joke. So glad I am not a Zeppelin fan.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

...Clearly the license didn't allow for original art. Stern hasn't been shy about paying artists to do cool hand drawn packages of late. But that's the only way I could see this living up to what people had hoped for. Blame the band, or better yet, their management, for not letting Stern take that route. Don't call Stern lazy, I doubt this is what they wanted.

Other option is for Stern to say 'Thanks, but no thanks.' if they don't get adequate material with the license. Stern has has put out some really stellar licensed pins (IMDN, BM66, TWD, Star Trek, GB - all of which I own) and they should really know when it's just not worth it and step away.

#44 3 years ago

If you take a quick glance at Pro Zep side cab, then take a quick glance at side cab of bugs bunny birthday from the same far distance ....

That blue trim is such a clash on the le.

I would go pro.

#45 3 years ago

white cab art looks Bugs Bunny Birthday bash.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

Unbelievable how ugly all models are. I've shown these pics to family and some non-pinball people. Nobody can believe they are real. They think it's a joke. So glad I am not a Zeppelin fan.

I think the post above which mentioned that they are supposed to look like the 70s is spot on.. the 70s was a LOT of ugly!

#47 3 years ago

Hey, maybe that RAZA isn't so bad after all.

#48 3 years ago

I wish they could indeed have been inspired by the Album III for the pro, but at least threw a little something innovative in the art as an addition. Like a black&white vs colorful addition; As pasted the cab art just does not match with the seventies highly colourful playfield.

On the Premium cab they could have at least written 'LedZeppelin' with the Led Zep font, that would have added some theme integration right away.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I was curious, so was looking back through not only old album covers, but concert posters, and anything else I could find that was 'official' in any way.
Gotta say, Led Zeppelin might be a classic band, but unlike a lot of great bands, they've never had much in the way of cool art. I really didn't see much that I thought "oh man, if only they could have used this". Some people might say Mothership, but not only is that the opposite of classic, I dunno that Shepard Fairey really screams "Led Zeppelin" to me.
Clearly the license didn't allow for original art. Stern hasn't been shy about paying artists to do cool hand drawn packages of late. But that's the only way I could see this living up to what people had hoped for. Blame the band, or better yet, their management, for not letting Stern take that route. Don't call Stern lazy, I doubt this is what they wanted.

This is exactly how I felt. I had been wondering what they were going to do for art as the album covers are hardly noteworthy and there isn’t a lot of zeppelin memorabilia. It’s very different than metallics, maiden, Aerosmith, even acdc. I’m not a fan of any of the artwork, but if I had to pick I’d pick the premium, mainly for nostalgic reasons. That blue on the LE has to go.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from ellips6:

On the Premium cab they could have at least written 'LedZeppelin' with the Led Zep font, that would have added some theme integration right away.

The font is correct; that is exactly what the original album looked like. The "Zeppelin" font didn't come til HotH

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Far Hills, NJ
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 6,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 65.99
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-art-what-do-you-think-?hl=freeplay3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.