(Topic ID: 283824)

Stern Led Zeppelin Art - What Do You Think?

By Tranquilize

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 244 posts
  • 131 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by beelzeboob
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which art package do you prefer and why? ”

• Pro 48 votes
    9%
  • Premium 98 votes
    19%
  • LE 63 votes
    12%
  • None - they all suck 302 votes
    59%

(511 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

CB98CA21-F6AF-42B1-993A-5EB007ED7F61 (resized).jpeg
waving-flag-of-usd-sign-stock-illustration_csp9292746 (resized).jpg
inqwerdex (resized).jpg
e67b79be080287cd4c2ab3104e69ad4055919769 (resized).jpg
0631e567630f448fd42d53e43b6b4682c0ccf68a (resized).jpg
ce1e9a47f14ea28c1a35e25f8490920046ff4d9e (resized).jpg
4CCE7D74-BB59-4C4C-BAB4-1046D3E9B49C.gif
67437408-AD80-4645-A5CD-A9DBE2304BC8 (resized).jpeg
2D2D11A7-735F-4E0E-A61D-25AFC34F54AE (resized).jpeg
85BEACF4-B9CF-42BC-B26A-E8B6F459E6DF (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20201216-212522_Chrome (resized).jpg
zzzzzLZ voteing (resized).png
41g0QpkQAFL._AC_ (resized).jpg
51u2XSTYKmL._AC_SX425_ (resized).jpg
unn;lkj;lamed (resized).jpg
led-zeppelin-ceramic-ashtray-d-music_1_4876990564cb19f00ae345fcbd43d244 (resized).jpg
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 3 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

I’m into the LE art package. I could totally see it rocking a in 1970s Hollywood hills home where there is sex and drugs going wild! This machine sings like Plant! But it’s screaming PARTY!

Nice and in your face true to the LZ style

#152 3 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I agree with Beelzeboob. Heck, I always agree with him. As ugly as the LE is it's starting to grow on me.

Smart man.

Quoted from Colsond3:

I think that's how Janice felt in the beginning of your relationship. But she eventually came around too. Well, until she met me.

Idiot.

#153 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Someone predicted by day 2 you will get the "oh it's growing on me" crowd. I don't think this will ever grow on me, so if you want to save 9200 just put a GnR pic, both cabinet and playfield, right beside LZ ....... your welcome.

Well...it IS growing on me, and I'm not bailing out on my order because it looks like it will be a really fun game. I don't just buy games because they're packed with toys and full of lights, and I'm not hanging the damn thing on my wall. I like fun, fast games with themes that I connect to. Yes...the blue initially made me puke. But after wiping off my chin and downing a few Oreos, I stepped back and looked at it cohesively (like Rarehero said), and I understand why they chose it. It does tie the whole LE package together.

#154 3 years ago

I was excited about some toys coming out that were licensed by one of my favorite bands. When I saw them I didn’t care for any of them. They were all sadly uninspired. I can’t believe I waited five decades for this. I’m not impressed with the art or the features of the cars. I can’t believe they used the old album covers and not concert posters. What kind of market research did they do? Will these cars even roll? The art is hideous and the images look flat. Damn these toys deserved better. This has got to be the worst art package for three cars from HotWheels I’ve ever seen. The GNR themed toys are much better. I wish these could have been more like those. If Matchbox had gotten this license it would have been soo much better, like take my money now better. Steve Ritchie should be ashamed to have his name associated with these cars. I’m a HotWheels fan but this is a new low. My kids looked at this and said “There [sic] trash” and I 100% agree. Super disappointed in this. I can’t hate these cars enough. They didn’t even try. I canceled my order. My friend made his own Zepplin car that was 10x better than any of these three.

The first one sucks more to me. Barf. As a kind my friends and I always thought that Led Zeppelin III was horrible art work for an album. It looks like Wonderbread. They should have added more color instead of just copying the album art. It would have looked better if they inverted the colors. I can’t believe they made it into a toy. This is a step backward from the hand drawn art on previous cars. It would be so much better if they made the art like they did on the Beatles car.

The Hindenberg was the best of the worst and it was incredibly lazy. The other two are horrid! They could have used a better font. Still, I can’t believe people would throw away their money on this. I’m going to get Aurich to do a full repaint of it. The image on the van was redundant with the image on the card.

The blue color looks like shit. It is that horrible blue. It looks like puke to me and I’d rather swallow my own vomit than look at it. Powder blue barf…what were they thinking. If it didn’t have to be blue I would buy this one. It would have been better in WWE gold. The blue is such a clash. It looks like it could be a Bugs Bunny theme. It would be better as bright green so it looks like it was in black light. It would have looked a lot better if they covered it with a bunch of concert posters. They should have made this white like in the youtube video.
HotWheels series (resized).jpgHotWheels series (resized).jpg

#155 3 years ago

All versions look absolutely ugly.

#156 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I just wish they would have incorporated Icarus somehow into the playfield and artwork.
Led Zeppelin was a little before my time, so I'm not really a fan. As a neutral observer, I get that the pins have art based on album covers. I think that if you were a fan of the band during the time, then you'll relate to the art and appreciate it. If your probably 50 or younger, then it's just not going to be your thing. As others have stated, a little variety would have been nice instead of using the same imagery on all surfaces of the cabinet/backglass, and personally I think a gold would have looked really nice on the LE instead of electric blue.
[quoted image]

That powder just blends in so much better with that cab art than that blue imo.

#157 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Could people please keep posting pics of the LE? I used to hate it, but every time I see it, it gets better. Thanks in advance.

That's what Stern wants.

#158 3 years ago

Meh! No naked baby EM wedgies.
Not interested.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#159 3 years ago
#160 3 years ago

First I love Zeppelin,I used a quarter everyday at the new Pizza Hut across from my high school to play Dyer Maker and The Joker.We smoked red bud and listened to Physical Graffiti like it was a religion.
Anyway I said from the beginning that this band doesn’t lend itself well to pinball neither for their look or their songs minus a few.If the managers of their properties had allowed them to do a more cool dark mystical style art that might have worked.These pinball manufacturers should not do IP’s that don’t cough up some leeway!

#161 3 years ago

I like premium and le art. Not pro.

#162 3 years ago

Color aside, why did they put regular old lollipop rails on the LE, when in the accessories video they show super-cool "Led Zeppelin Symbols Side Armor"??? That screams LE to me.

#163 3 years ago
Quoted from dmieczko:

Color aside, why did they put regular old lollipop rails on the LE, when in the accessories video they show super-cool "Led Zeppelin Symbols Side Armor"??? That screams LE to me.

So Stern can grab few hundred notes from you on the side if you want that look.

#164 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Someone predicted by day 2 you will get the "oh it's growing on me" crowd. I don't think this will ever grow on me, so if you want to save 9200 just put a GnR pic, both cabinet and playfield, right beside LZ ....... your welcome.

I liked the pro and premium art but not the le. Day 2 and the le is growing on me a bit but would have to see in person. Day 2 and I like the pro and premium even more. Premium is clean and in a line up you don’t see sides anyways.

Gnr is one of my all time fave bands and I like the art on all 3 of them and will be adding an le next year unless someone backs out of ce.

#165 3 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I liked the pro and premium art but not the le. Day 2 and the le is growing on me a bit but would have to see in person. Day 2 and I like the pro and premium even more. Premium is clean and in a line up you don’t see sides anyways.
Gnr is one of my all time fave bands and I like the art on all 3 of them and will be adding an le next year unless someone backs out of ce.

That won't be me backing out of the CE ! The premium is no slouch anyway, and with the mods, looks just as nice as the CE! Can't loose!

#166 3 years ago

I love the LE art, will have one in my own game room for sure!

#167 3 years ago

Hmm...

FB_IMG_1608155456265 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1608155456265 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1608155461174 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1608155461174 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1608155472777 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1608155472777 (resized).jpg
#168 3 years ago

Looks like Stern piggybacked off the Hot Wheels license? Same asset sets...

#169 3 years ago

I don't care for any of it, at all - but it does seem to reflect the band's own art.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you're a big fan of the band you're probably fine with it.

...for me, I just learned that LZ had pretty terrible album covers.

#170 3 years ago

Huge fan of Zepp, but the only two that are "good" would be the Premium and LE. I've never been a fan of LZ 3's album art. Too busy.

What are you guys talking about? They're almost all album covers....that's where they got the art from.

#171 3 years ago

Zep will put their name on any piece of garbage.
s-l640 (resized).jpgs-l640 (resized).jpg

#172 3 years ago

Any of you guys want a LZ tongue ring?

imasdfgdfgges (resized).jpgimasdfgdfgges (resized).jpg
#173 3 years ago

How about a LZ cigarette ashtray?

led-zeppelin-ceramic-ashtray-d-music_1_4876990564cb19f00ae345fcbd43d244 (resized).jpgled-zeppelin-ceramic-ashtray-d-music_1_4876990564cb19f00ae345fcbd43d244 (resized).jpg
#174 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Any of you guys want a LZ tongue ring?[quoted image]

That’s not a ring it’s a stud.

#175 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Zep will put their name on any piece of garbage.
[quoted image]

I don't blame them. Why not just sit back and rake in the money from things past?
I'm biased though because they're my favorite classic rock band of all time. I have an old mp3 CD I burned 12 years ago with 50 of their songs and I like them all. Still pop it in every now and then.

#176 3 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

That’s not a ring it’s a stud.

I hear ya, but the manufacturer says it's an: "Officially Licensed LED ZEPPELIN Barbell Tongue Ring" $9.99

https://www.bodycandy.com/products/officially-licensed-led-zeppelin-barbell-tonge-ring?variant=29660917382

#177 3 years ago

My favourite band combined with my favourite hobby - I was very excited.

I'm so disappointed with this cab and backglass art and think it is bland and lazy. Playfield art is a pass mark only for me, it's ok. Plastics are disappointing.

When I think of the Tolkien and Nordic imagery that are invoked in many Zeppelin songs there were so many options for amazing art on this machine. They've just slapped album covers on. They must have been hamstrung by the licensee. Honestly, if that was the case they should have walked away from it and done Queen or Rush instead.

I'm sure they will still sell as this is a great band. They deserved a great pin. Gutted.

#178 3 years ago
Quoted from jpc211245:

I’m into the LE art package. I could totally see it rocking a in 1970s Hollywood hills home where there is sex and drugs going wild! This machine sings like Plant! But it’s screaming PARTY!

You can't party with Led Zep without a mudshark.

unn;lkj;lamed (resized).jpgunn;lkj;lamed (resized).jpg
#179 3 years ago

The art is so bad, I really dont like it.
Still in for an LE, but considered bailing on it entirely. #FOMO

#180 3 years ago
Quoted from NashtyFunk:

The art is so bad, I really dont like it.
Still in for an LE, but considered bailing on it entirely. #FOMO

Go ahead and sell it to this guy....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-hype-thread/page/31#post-6017944

#181 3 years ago

I know it’s cover art, but the premium looks like someone made a pin game themed around the Hindenburg disaster.

#182 3 years ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

Hmm...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

But....those are all "premium"

#183 3 years ago

The greatest music pin of all time hasn't been made yet.....forget old fart bands, give me a compelling story, epic music and animated tripod toys!

51u2XSTYKmL._AC_SX425_ (resized).jpg51u2XSTYKmL._AC_SX425_ (resized).jpg
#184 3 years ago

BIG fan of the Premium/LE playfield artwork with the Expression artblades! GREAT, vibrant color palette and lots of glow and pizazz. Look at the lightening bolts that define the shot paths. They're ablaze with energy, thanks to the deft use of fades! Look at the swaths of rich color that fade into each other, each complementing the next. Those colors were selected by an artist, not a hack, to make the whole thing pop - and it does! Greg Freres did similarly fabulous, colorful work on the PF for EHOH, my favorite from Stern. No, I don't love his illustration, but there is none on LZ, just his art direction, and he is really showing his chops! The colors/tones of the LEDs in the Expression artblades complement the PF nicely, too. The whole palette is skillfully done and every bit as vibrant as those of Zombie Yeti this year. Check the Swansong pop caps! They are sharp! And the Art-Nouveau font choices are spot-on and sleek. Cabinet art for all models is completely forgettable, but no matter! The PF is dreamy! It goes to show that you don't need Franchi-grade illustration to kill it with PF art! A+ for Greg!

#185 3 years ago

Nothing says "Rock N Roll Party" more than a bunch of old guys playing poker.

41g0QpkQAFL._AC_ (resized).jpg41g0QpkQAFL._AC_ (resized).jpg
#186 3 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

BIG fan of the Premium/LE playfield artwork with the Expression artblades! GREAT, vibrant color palette and lots of glow and pizazz. Look at the lightening bolts that define the shot paths. They're ablaze with energy, thanks to the deft use of fades! Look at the swaths of rich color that fade into each other, each complementing the next. Those colors were selected by an artist, not a hack, to make the whole thing pop - and it does! Greg Freres did similarly fabulous, colorful work on the PF for EHOH, my favorite from Stern. No, I don't love his illustration, but there is none on LZ, just his art direction, and he is really showing his chops! The colors/tones of the LEDs in the Expression artblades complement the PF nicely, too. The whole palette is skillfully done and every bit as vibrant as those of Zombie Yeti this year. Check the Swansong pop caps! They are sharp! And the Art-Nouveau font choices are spot-on and sleek. Cabinet art for all models is completely forgettable, but no matter! The PF is dreamy! It goes to show that you don't need Franchi-grade illustration to kill it with PF art! A+ for Greg!

I must admit I'm not sure if your kidding or not?

#187 3 years ago

Looks like the Premium is in 2nd place.

zzzzzLZ voteing (resized).pngzzzzzLZ voteing (resized).png
#188 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr68:

Looks like the Premium is in 2nd place.
[quoted image]

"They all suck" has the win by a mile!

#189 3 years ago

Apparently, I'm not allowed my opinion , wtf is this banner flag BS ? Screenshot_20201216-212522_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20201216-212522_Chrome (resized).jpg

#190 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

Apparently, I'm not allowed my opinion , wtf is this banner flag BS ? [quoted image]

I've seen this before. I think it's a browser thing. I can't remember what I did to fix it....something that involved signing out and back in or clearing out cookies.

Your opinion is still allowed.

#191 3 years ago

I think a lot of LE opinions would change if Stern ships it in through their out door correctly.
2D2D11A7-735F-4E0E-A61D-25AFC34F54AE (resized).jpeg2D2D11A7-735F-4E0E-A61D-25AFC34F54AE (resized).jpeg85BEACF4-B9CF-42BC-B26A-E8B6F459E6DF (resized).jpeg85BEACF4-B9CF-42BC-B26A-E8B6F459E6DF (resized).jpeg

#192 3 years ago

All i can say is
I look at these 3, then i look at my IMDN. Wow, is the art on IMDN the bomb>>>>>>>

#193 3 years ago
Quoted from Bohdi:

All i can say is
I look at these 3, then i look at my IMDN. Wow, is the art on IMDN the bomb>>>>>>>

Iron Maiden and Metallica are to me the best examples of how fun a band pin can be. I know Maiden was based on some comic nobody has read, it's original enough to me. Both those games just feel like they're more wide-open adventures with a vibe and a soundtrack to back it all up. The "band pin as concert" approach is fine, GNR certainly nailed it, but I would have thought Led Zeppelin would have been 100x more interesting as some kind of Norse/Tolkien vibe adventure with cool art and the music to bring it all home.

Clearly the license gave zero f—s about letting Stern do that, and it is what it is. And maybe the super fans prefer it that way and think my idea sounds lame. But that's what I personally hope for on any band pin, a mix of the band's personality with an almost unlicensed/original theme to mix with it. Hand drawn art, imagination, the kind of worlds you might see in your head kicking back (with or without the substance of your choice) with a nice pair of headphones and your eyes closed.

#194 3 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Iron Maiden and Metallica are to me the best examples of how fun a band pin can be. I know Maiden was based on some comic nobody has read, it's original enough to me. Both those games just feel like they're more wide-open adventures with a vibe and a soundtrack to back it all up. The "band pin as concert" approach is fine, GNR certainly nailed it, but I would have thought Led Zeppelin would have been 100x more interesting as some kind of Norse/Tolkien vibe adventure with cool art and the music to bring it all home.
Clearly the license gave zero f—s about letting Stern do that, and it is what it is. And maybe the super fans prefer it that way and think my idea sounds lame. But that's what I personally hope for on any band pin, a mix of the band's personality with an almost unlicensed/original theme to mix with it. Hand drawn art, imagination, the kind of worlds you might see in your head kicking back (with or without the substance of your choice) with a nice pair of headphones and your eyes closed.

Norse/Tolkien vibe is straight up the way to go with this!

#195 3 years ago

I'll give a differing opinion. I bet if you took all of the pins manufactured between 1983 and 2012, LZ's artwork would rank in the top 10% of all the games. It's not that bad. I think we've just been spoiled lately by having guys like Zombie Yeti, Franchi, and Dirty Donny in the fold who are putting out some of the best pinball art of all time. If this game came out in 2009, I bet everyone would be raving about how "good" the art looked compared to other games that were coming out at that time.

#196 3 years ago

Lazy, sad, bad, mad..... I was dreaming of this pin to be the Mona Lisa in my collection..... if I would still buy it it will the Ronald McDonald..... Stern, how can you F$¥% this one up like this. A unique Led Zeppelin pinball will remain a dream. Btw, game layout look like 1970’s.

67437408-AD80-4645-A5CD-A9DBE2304BC8 (resized).jpeg67437408-AD80-4645-A5CD-A9DBE2304BC8 (resized).jpeg
#197 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I'll give a differing opinion. I bet if you took all of the pins manufactured between 1983 and 2012, LZ's artwork would rank in the top 10% of all the games. It's not that bad. I think we've just been spoiled lately by having guys like Zombie Yeti, Franchi, and Dirty Donny in the fold who are putting out some of the best pinball art of all time. If this game came out in 2009, I bet everyone would be raving about how "good" the art looked compared to other games that were coming out at that time

Mmmmm... no. I can't count even a half-dozen WMS titles that look worse than Zeppelin. Millionaire, maybe DH or Road Kings... dunno, can't think of any others less inspired than LZ. I mean, there might be games that have art that's hard to like (Transporter) but you gotta admit the art is well done and is integrated well with the game! Even if ALL the other manufacturers games were ugly, you're still not close to 10%.

#198 3 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How about a LZ cigarette ashtray?[quoted image]

Only if it is powdercoated in baby blue

#199 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Mmmmm... no. I can't count even a half-dozen WMS titles that look worse than Zeppelin. Millionaire, maybe DH or Road Kings... dunno, can't think of any others less inspired than LZ. I mean, there might be games that have art that's hard to like (Transporter) but you gotta admit the art is well done and is integrated well with the game! Even if ALL the other manufacturers games were ugly, you're still not close to 10%.

I think its better than most of the Gottlieb, Data East, Sega, and Modern Stern (through 2012) and a lot of the licensed titles like DM, NBAFB, WCS, BBBB, etc. I have a Bally EBC in my basement which is pretty damn ugly. It might not be quite top 10% but I don't think that's too far off.

#200 3 years ago

Pinball is an art form unto itself. Great art is about handing over your “brand” to the creatives that understand the medium and trusting they will reinterpret your music into the medium they love.

I’m sure Aerosmith had no clue Dirty Donnie would draw skulls, and rats, and snakes wrapped around bass guitars. But when he did I know the band though it kicked ass cause they have then pins lined up to play for the vips at their Vegas concert.

Led Zeppelin is a soul less corporation caching in in the “brand” from hot wheels cars to Stern pinball machines.

Anyone who cares about art should tell the owners of the LZ “brand” to f**k off out of pinball as they’ve shown us no respect.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 40.00
Playfield - Plastics
Inscribed Solutions

$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.99
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Space Coast Pinball

4,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
9,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Mission, BC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 9,499.99
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 39.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Gameroom Goodies Arizona

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 105.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 124.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 244 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-led-zeppelin-art-what-do-you-think-/page/4?hl=jason_jehosaphat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.