(Topic ID: 278170)

Stern LED display in a Whitestar gives extra horizontal line

By Rensh

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

For a Stern GrandPrix (Whitestar system) I had a malfunctioning gasdisplay but have some Stern LED 5 VDC display lying around.

So hooked it up in the GP and to my surprise the animations had an extra horizontal line which was also visible in the DOT display test (vertical was fine)

Tried another Whitestar pinball (RCT), same issue. Tried several displays which all worked fine in a SAM system, same issue in a Whitestar.

Tried even a Stern Leddisplay in a Monster Bash, all fine except in a Whitestar pinball. Looks like Whitestar only accepts the plasmadisplay but thats weird. I have put PIN2DMD befor in a Whitestar (TSPP), no issues. So it only happens with a Stern LEDdisplay

Anyone has ever come across this and if yes, did you find a solution?

#2 3 years ago

Nobody ??

2 years later
    #3 1 year ago

Hate to dredge up old threads but...I just ran into this as well. Picked up a Stern 5v LED DMD display as I thought it would be good for a basic test bench without having to have the high voltages for a plasma DMD display. Testing the Stern 5v LED display connected via DE interface board to a WhiteStar modified CPU board produced the extra horizontal line that Rensh mentions above. I need to test this CPU board in a game with a plasma DMD display to see if the issue is there or not. Checked this setup with both ID4 and Sporanos ROMs.

2 weeks later
    #4 1 year ago

I confirmed the 5volt DMD was the issue. The boardset had no issues driving a high voltage plasma DMD.

#5 1 year ago

good to know, the 5v dmd only seems to work ok in the game it came in (stern st, gb etc) OR WPC games. For some reason in DE games it also produces an extra line, but in WPC games of the same era, it seems to be just fine.

#6 1 year ago

I’m know with certainty that driving a Stern 5V LED display from a DE MPU via a Stern/Sega/DE display controller causes the bottom line of the display to turn on pixels if any pixel in the column is turned on.

I’ve never figured out why.
    The same happens when I use a DumbAss LED display.

The Stern/Dumbass display works perfectly in all other game installations.

Odd.

Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    Http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
    http://www.PinWiki.com/ - The new place for pinball repair info

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.