Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 247 posts
  • 103 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Bmad21
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

do-you-even-know-how-you-dont-put-it-paper-20178654 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20221220-203939 (resized).png
    7BAE0E0A-BA05-44BB-B34B-52F8238F2AC3 (resized).jpeg
    A1A66F6D-5AD2-40C2-9D87-2035C6321431 (resized).jpeg
    Keep those scissor blades open, FFS! (resized).png
    Blue pen on the right, damnit!!! (resized).jpg
    BCCC8EBC-F0A4-4EED-B2CC-4CFF7B5A56F6 (resized).png
    34723583-6FBB-4FEF-9011-D6E7755D3693 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#26 1 year ago

Wow, interesting news. My dad knows Nick Parfitt from when he worked at Fortune Brands, I think I even met him once. They are MASSIVE, and you do not stick around if you don’t a) know your shit cold, and b) have the Great White Shark winner-takes-all attitude. My dad made it 3 years as President of one of their brands and gave up let’s just say a LOT of money to end his contract 2 years early.

Not sure how to take this, but I guarantee it will involve price increases. 6 Sigma is legit, IN a manufacturing scenario. When the company started to grow, They expanded it to general corporate situations where it makes no sense, total waste.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I see some Stern+™ code DLC in your future. Because when I read this:

what that says to me 'games as service'. It's the defacto model for gaming across multiple industries, won't shock me to see it come to pinball. We're already seeing the inroads like the Mandalorian topper bringing new modes with it.
    I'm not even sure it's a bad thing necessarily, but I don't expect it to be a popular idea with a lot of people. Who are also probably feeling priced out of buying new games, so maybe nobody cares what they think.

If you’re right, Multimorphic is going to end up looking like geniuses

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Bingo. From my introduction to it around a decade ago, I believe it originated at Toyota. Some things in the MFG environment (shadow walls for tools so they're always in the same place, reduction of movement/waiting/processes...etc.) all make total sense.
    It's when they optimize the production floor but after that's all done still need to justify their position/paycheck so they spill into the office space and tell you your desk phone needs a taped square around it labelling that space as "phone". That's when the eyes start to roll and lifelong enemies are made.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Ok, that is not only insulting but just completely insane.

#44 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich: But if we enter a future of DLC will it travel with the pin? Stern could tie things to your Insider account and if you don't log in the new software doesn't boot, so you couldn't sell it with the game, in theory.

Yeah, it's gonna be an uphill climb with a lot of people. Who knows, just speculating. But the pieces are all in place to make that kind of play. Get games connected to wifi, with accounts, and you can do a lot of software as service kinds of moves.

Similarly - There is still a used video game market clinging to life, but it's in the death throes. Online marketplaces (PS Plus, Xbox Online, etc) have pretty much taken over all that revenue. And since there are far fewer physical copies floating around, Sony, Microsoft, etc are claiming all that revenue Gamestop used to collect. You can also get banned, and your game disabled. I can't imagine why Stern would want to do this, but it's technically possible.

#113 1 year ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

I'm not so sure, the newbies in the hobby with all the cash mostly suck at pinball and won't need the new modes or don't keep up on that stuff and simply walk by their machines. The folks who really want and enjoy the extra content are being, and are priced out, no more new sterns for me, unless it involves a trade IM OUT. I'm sure others feel the same way. I'll just buy an older game if I get the itch or start buying American.

Interesting thing you made me think of: perhaps the DLC isn’t going to strictly be new modes, but just ways of unlocking stuff that’s technically in the game but you have to be a sharpshooter to play. I’ve definitely owned games I never saw half the modes - typically they were gone before I put in the time to get better on them. Might be an additional source of revenue - mode unlocks for crappy players like me.

Edit: yeah, what that guy said ^^

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

open the app and see if the DELOREAN WILL START AGAIN! (you have 5 days to start the mission!)

I really don’t like the subscription idea in general, but that idea actually sounds pretty good. I sometimes need a kick to go down and play my games, and this type of thing would be good motivation

#134 1 year ago

It never fails to astonish me how Pinside can turn ANYTHING into a wokeness debate. Might be time for some of us to find a new hobby

#169 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Just wait, shift to pachinko machines coming in..3...2....

Ha! I just started watching that show on AppleTV; now I want one!

#174 1 year ago

Took a moment to read Seth Davis’ resume, and a couple of takeaways:

1) has already been President for 1 year, since Oct 21. Just is taking on CEO as well

2) was in charge of the Disney Infinity brand (the amiibo/sky landers physical toy-to-video-game thing that was going on in the 2010s)

3) managed strategy for Disney+ in its initial rollout

Those 2 Disney things were major brand expanding concepts, and required massive capital - and were both (initial, expected) losses for the company, even though they have been successful

I take this as potentially a good sign there’s a good understanding of R&D investment along with typical cost cutting … so we’ll see

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-leadership-changes?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.