73%
  • Stern LEs (Tron, ACDC BIBLE, MET LE MOP) 39 votes
    27%

(146 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern_trifecta.JPG
image.jpg
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Are we seeing the changing of the guard right before ours eyes concerning the "big three" pinball machines to have? Just 2-3 years ago, if you asked anyone which machines would be in their wishlist, you would have the following three titles

MM
MB
AFM / TZ (since AFM is comparable to MM, some argue to throw TZ in there)

But more and more, the recent Stern LE titles are popping up more and more in wishlists

TronLE
ACDC BIBLE
MET LE MOP

So the throwdown.. Which set of machines would you pick as the top3 machines to have? The Stern LE set, or the classic B/Ws upgraded to colorDMDs?

#2 10 years ago

Stern LE's probably offer more variety. Tough call

#3 10 years ago

Williams

#4 10 years ago

Williams all the way.

#5 10 years ago

The Stern LE pins are more rare and that should help with resale for those who look upon pin buying as investments that are fun to play, rather than art on the wall. At this point in time the Stern big 3 offers more upside than the 10 plus year old WMS pins as more people have played them since they were more of them made and were in more public locations. Once more people find these newer Stern pins I think price will still go up more.

#6 10 years ago

Of that list I'd go B/W but if for Stern you threw in SM or LOTR it would be a tighter race.

#7 10 years ago

I'd go with a mix--MM, MB, and BIBLE.

#8 10 years ago

I'd give the B/W games a slight edge here due to superior art packages.

IMHO Stern makes some great games and you've listed some of their best. But Stern's playfield art can't top the classic B/W tables. If Mettalica's use of hand drawn art is the new normal for Stern then this ranking might look different in a couple years.

#9 10 years ago

B/W gets my vote, but you do make a great point. If the price for all of these machines was in the same price range, think you would have a lot more people getting the B/W's.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from VegasAlleycat:

I'd go with a mix--MM, MB, and BIBLE.

I agree, a mix of them. I'd pick different games, but the idea would be the same.

#11 10 years ago

Still Williams but... it is pretty awesome that we can even have this conversation. As someone already mentioned...hand draw art and customs dots put the Williams games over the hump. Another BIG plus for the Williams stuff isn humor...Stern need to improve in this area. If Stern keeps going in the direction they are going in we could see a changing of the guard real soon

#12 10 years ago

Hand drawn art and overall build quality put the Williams ahead IMO. But with Some of Stern's newer releases, I have to agree that they may finally be catching up!!! I mean, haven't they only had like 18 years to come up with better ideas??

#14 10 years ago

2 years ago, I would've laughed at the thought that Stern could make anything close to the "Williams 3".
Now, even though I still favor the Williams machines, the recent Stern machines makes me really excited for the future of Stern that they've closed the gap a bunch...

#15 10 years ago

Pains me to say this as I thought it would never be true. I'd have to go with the Stern games listed here.

Only Williams in that list I would want back is AFM.

In fact I think you could take either AFM/MM and swap those games with either AC/DC or Met. Either way, it would be a two Stern games to 1 Williams.

#16 10 years ago

Of the six you listed, I don't care for TRON, AC/DC or AFM. I voted Williams because I would have 2 Williams' and 1 Stern (MM, MB, METLE). Maybe I'm biased though as I have two of those three (MB & METLE)

#17 10 years ago

If you had put SM ( I know, not really an LE. It was an "only", though) in place of TRON I would vote Stern.

#18 10 years ago

According to IPDB which has a ton of votes, the Williams big three are TZ, STTNG and TOM.

Just sayin.

#19 10 years ago

I could sell my whole collection & keep just these 3. The real trifecta!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#20 10 years ago

I think that many will take exception to what you are calling Stern's "big 3". Metallica just simply does not belong there. Tron probably doesn't either since SM and LOTR exist. The truly amazing thing is that these 15-20 year old B/W games can stand toe-to-toe and in my opinion defeat any Stern "Big 3" that you could come up with.

I don't dislike Stern games by any means. I've owned three of them. The nice thing about the newer machines is the relative trouble-free nature of them. And I like to play pinball much more than I enjoy fixing the machines.

#21 10 years ago

I played MM and MB last week. If AC/DC or Metallica were there, I wouldn't have touched either one of the older games.

Quoted from Breadfan:

I could sell my whole collection & keep just these 3. The real trifecta!

I completely agree with this! STTNG has been my favorite pin since it came out, but all 3 of these may challenge that once I finally get them all.

#22 10 years ago

I voted B/W but only cause you have MET in sterns list. Replace that with LoTR or FGY; and I'll take stern everyday, any day.

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Of that list I'd go B/W but if for Stern you threw in SM or LOTR it would be a tighter race.

I agree. Not sure why MET would be thrown in there at this early stage.

Either way, I'd probably still vote for the B/W Trinity, but it's getting really close.

I'm so glad and lucky that I don't have to make this decision in reality (I own AFM, MB, MM, Tron LE, AC/DC Premium and LOTR).

(I consider those the Trifecta from B/W and Stern)

#24 10 years ago

the B/W games are not my top 3, so i'm in for stern with this contest.

#25 10 years ago

Neither of those 2 sets would be my first choices.

If it were a matter of having to pic out of those to choices, I'd pick Williams.

I don't get particularly excited about any of the 6 machines in the list actually. And yes, I have played them.

Chris

#26 10 years ago

Still have to go with the B/W pins, even though Stern has definitely closed the gap. There is something about the classic B/W pins that just seems so timeless. Art, themes, humor. Those are the three areas where they beat Stern.

Stern's are generally deeper pins though, and more challenging overall (generalization)

B/W is leading this poll by more than a 2 to 1 margin.

#27 10 years ago

I suspect that's because of MOPLE. Still too new to know if they will do something special with it. If it had been one of the more established Sterns (IM, LOTR, SM) I think the margin would be closer.

Post edited by Erik : Oops I guess there's no IM LE .. should be tho

#28 10 years ago

My B/W tri-fecta is a little different than yours-

Judge Dredd, No Fear, and HS2

#29 10 years ago

I think B/W still has it over Stern for overall design, rules and polish.

I haven't played Metallica yet. The other two are good but just don't get to the level of the best B/W. I'd probably consider MB the weakest of the B/W listed and would put IJ in my top three with MM and TZ.

But Stern gets points because they are still making games (need to step up on the software though).

#30 10 years ago

I'm so glad and lucky that I don't have to make this decision in reality (I own AFM, MB, MM, TRON LE, AC/DC Premium and LOTR).

(I consider those the Trifecta from B/W and Stern)

I wholeheartedly agree with your top three Sterns ...

Stern_trifecta.JPGStern_trifecta.JPG

#31 10 years ago

SM, LOTR and Tron would allow me to vote for Stern.

Based upon your selections, B/W is the easy winner.

#32 10 years ago

With the selection posted I had to go B/W. But the selection should have been.

Stern:
LOTR
AC/DC
SM (to be replaced with ST later this year)

B/W:
STTNG
MM
TZ

For me I would still take the B/W three but, once ST hits, I may tip to the Stern side.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Stern LE's probably offer more variety. Tough call

Given the selections, not a whole lotta variety in the shot layout of either set. (OK, maybe Tron if you don't own a Funhouse.) Besides, LE aside, the Stern trifecta is really SM, LOTR and WPT. WPT is twice the game as Tron is--better flow, more variety, and hands-down far better/deeper/cooler rules.

Quoted from bigdaddy07:

With the selection posted I had to go B/W. But the selection should have been.
Stern:
LOTR
AC/DC
SM (to be replaced with ST later this year)
B/W:
STTNG
MM
TZ
For me I would still take the B/W three but, once ST hits, I may tip to the Stern side.

eeek. No TZ or STTNG on my WMS/BLY fave list. Ever. And do you really think ST will come out this year? I could make good bank on the other side of that action......

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

eeek. No TZ or STTNG on my WMS/BLY fave list. Ever. And do you really think ST will come out this year? I could make good bank on the other side of that action......

Sounds like we have polar opposite tastes in pins, those are my 2 all-time favorite pins without question.

I'm hoping for a late fall/early winter ST but, who knows. I'd like them to get it out before they weigh in that Internet sales tax BS and drive the price up another 7-800 per game.

#35 10 years ago

X-men LE and SM black would have been better choices than acdc le and met le.

#36 10 years ago
Quoted from doughslingers:

The Stern LE pins are more rare and that should help with resale for those who look upon pin buying as investments that are fun to play, rather than art on the wall. At this point in time the Stern big 3 offers more upside than the 10 plus year old WMS pins as more people have played them since they were more of them made and were in more public locations. Once more people find these newer Stern pins I think price will still go up more.

Great point about being more rare! Never really thought of it that way. And they are brighter and more modern in the way of music, modes and Attitude, In my opinion.

#37 10 years ago

Nastalgia VS Now.... Which are you???

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from Snowdale:

Nastalgia VS Now.... Which are you???

Nostalgia plays almost no role in my decisions regarding which pins I like and buy.

I played pinball in the early to mid 80's. I missed out on the pinball resurgence in the 90's. So me loving pins like MM, MB, AFM, CV, SS, etc. have zero to do with nostalgia. I only discovered these pins when I got into the hobby a few years ago.

Pins like Space Shuttle and Black Hole, on the other hand, are nostalgic to me, but I still haven't owned any pin older than from the 90's.

#39 10 years ago

I like the question, though it invariably opens up the taste-based nit-picking regarding who likes what. What's interesting to me is say I was asked this question pre-TRON I would've just laughed at how dumb a question it was; this thread topic makes me realize that Stern has some damn solid contenders lately! I remember when the only Stern I liked was Ripleys, ha.

Still I'm in camp Williams, just not as firmly as I would've guessed.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nostalgia plays almost no role in my decisions regarding which pins I like and buy.
I played pinball in the early to mid 80's. I missed out on the pinball resurgence in the 90's. So me loving pins like MM, MB, AFM, CV, SS, etc. have zero to do with nostalgia. I only discovered these pins when I got into the hobby a few years ago.
Pins like Space Shuttle and Black Hole, on the other hand, are nostalgic to me, but I still haven't owned any pin older than from the 90's.

Nastalgia or not, the games from B/W era are now dated. The music, the style! But I was born in 81' so maybe it's a different viewpoint?

#41 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMolly:

I like it when you visit "camp o-din".

#42 10 years ago

Sterns for sure

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from Wamprat:

X-men LE and SM black would have been better choices than acdc le and met le.

IMO......Since ACDC is rated higher then both of those it would seem its fine where it is.

#44 10 years ago

I'd go ACDC, Metallica and AFM. MB is a fun game, I'm sitting 4 feet from a pristine example, but it doesn't match any of these three.

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballMolly:

I'm in camp "gimme great gameplay design". It's not necessarily occupied by just one manufacturer or era...and it might even contain a game that is neither made by Stern OR B/W...

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I think that many will take exception to what you are calling Stern's "big 3". Metallica just simply does not belong there. Tron probably doesn't either since SM and LOTR exist. The truly amazing thing is that these 15-20 year old B/W games can stand toe-to-toe and in my opinion defeat any Stern "Big 3" that you could come up with.
I don't dislike Stern games by any means. I've owned three of them. The nice thing about the newer machines is the relative trouble-free nature of them. And I like to play pinball much more than I enjoy fixing the machines.

+1

#47 10 years ago

None of the above except AC/DC and MB....throw Lotr LE and SM and you've got something!

#48 10 years ago

BW still edging in this poll to me but it is getting closer than it was 5 years ago. IMHO.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

Given the selections, not a whole lotta variety in the shot layout of either set. (OK, maybe Tron if you don't own a Funhouse.) Besides, LE aside, the Stern trifecta is really SM, LOTR and WPT. WPT is twice the game as Tron is--better flow, more variety, and hands-down far better/deeper/cooler rules.

Bingo..........all day long!..........if people are being honest And the "ratings" are biased, outdated and really not relevant because of the agenda raters.....

#50 10 years ago

Tough call, the machines these days are built with unrivalled technology, faster, smarter and maybe tougher.........the gap has definitely closed.

I would go the best of both worlds on this........its awesome to have that choice as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Machine - For Sale
Hermosa Beach, CA
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 12.95
There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-le-trifecta-vs-bw-big-three and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.