Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 63 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

There's been a lot of talk recently about games being vaulted. We all know there are production delays, but things will return to normal and Stern will re-release titles again.

Tron was the hot contender. This week, the talk shifted (The Pinball Show Ep 116) that Stern could be working on an old title in a new wrapper with LCD screen...that isn't Lord of the Rings or Tron.

Post here your speculation and rumours. I'll start with a list of games that I think are possible (based on theme).

Metallica
    Ghostbusters
    Iron Man
    The Walking Dead
    Transformers
    KISS
    AC/DC
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Indiana Jones
    Spider-Man
    Star Trek
    Tron
    Lord of the Rings
    Game of Thrones

Edit: I'm adding Tron to this list for future speculation because I do think we will see an LCD version of Tron by 2025.

Edit 2: Added Lord of the Rings because a lot of people have asked for this again and again. Also adding Game of Thrones despite it being a long-shot.

#2 1 year ago

Really depends on their current licenses

Would be cool though for GB

#3 1 year ago

I might be down for an updated Simpsons or Ghostbusters

#4 1 year ago

I would 100% buy a Simpsons

#5 1 year ago

Could be Avatar with the new movies arriving soon.

#6 1 year ago

Game of thrones

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

There's been a lot of talk recently about games being vaulted. We all know there are production delays, but things will return to normal and Stern will re-release titles again.
    Tron was the hot contender. This week, the talk shifted (The Pinball Show Ep 116) that Stern could be working on an old title in a new wrapper with LCD screen...that isn't Lord of the Rings or Tron.
    Post here your speculation and rumours. I'll start with a list of games that I think are possible (based on theme).
    Ghostbusters
    KISS
    Iron Man
    Transformers
    AC/DC
    The Walking Dead
    Metallica
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Indiana Jones

I'm not sure how many times I have to say it: GHOSTBUSTERS WILL NEVER BE REMADE. It isn't happening. The licensing entanglements and the connection to John Trudeau make it impossible. I have it on good authority.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

I'm not sure how many times I have to say it: GHOSTBUSTERS WILL NEVER BE REMADE. It isn't happening. The licensing entanglements and the connection to John Trudeau make it impossible. I have it on good authority.

Exactly what he said “Trudeau=never will be remade PERIOD. Also on the show they stated it would be a SAM machine so that rules out TSPP.

#9 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

Exactly what he said “Trudeau=never will be remade PERIOD. Also on the show they stated it would be a SAM machine so that rules out TSPP.

I can't imagine what TSPP would cost now..much like TZ.

#10 1 year ago

Metallica or Simpsons would be the only ones of interest for me..already have an AC/DC..I would buy both Tron and Lord of the Rings if they were vaulted

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from zaki:

Game of thrones

I didn't add Game of Thrones due to the sour taste the last season of the show put in people's mouths. Would it be a viable game to vault based on its popularity and House of the Dragon?

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It's a speculation thread and it's a popular theme. Regardless of whether Stern re-make Trudeau's design (I don't know anyone that got rid of a Trudeau game out of their collection) or do the Gomez special on it, Ghostbusters is a hot title and more money for Stern.

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yesh23:

They mentioned Lord of the Rings, so I mentioned the Simpsons. This is a speculation thread for vault titles that will continue on, just like the "next Stern pin" thread. So post your strong leads and talk about the title you'd like to see. I listed popular titles that I think would sell well.

South Park is a maybe, but only if they changed the playfield design.

Tron has its own thread (many threads), but it would be at the top of my list.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

I didn't add Game of Thrones due to the sour taste the last season of the show put in people's mouths. Would it be a viable game to vault based on its popularity and House of the Dragon?

House of Dragon is already cancelled...so...who knows.

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

House of Dragon is already cancelled...so...who knows.

Er, no it isn't. Season two just won't be out until 2024. I guess it was actually a huge hit for hbo. Not sure how that will affect the pin though . . .

#16 1 year ago

My guess is avatar or the walking dead

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

My guess is avatar or the walking dead

Both would be great and very tempting at vault prices. Simpson too.

#18 1 year ago

Avatar seems likely with the movies coming out. Metallica seems like a no-brainer given it's popularity, and I'd imagine the license is much easier to work with. I'd think just in general music licenses are easier to work with than movies, as there is generally only one major party involved.

#19 1 year ago

My money is on Metallica. Putting concert footage in wouldn't be a huge lift and the game is popular.

#20 1 year ago

I would hope for Metallica, but rumors have it at Tron or LOTR.

#21 1 year ago

MET or TWD and I am in on either. Would not mind GOT.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

It's a speculation thread and it's a popular theme. Regardless of whether Stern re-make Trudeau's design (I don't know anyone that got rid of a Trudeau game out of their collection) or do the Gomez special on it, Ghostbusters is a hot title and more money for Stern.

If theres no chance of something then theres no point in speculation. A Gomez (or other designer) original ghostbusters game is possible I'm sure, but that wouldn't be a vault. Plus I imagine a game like that would be based on the actual movie about as much as Jurassic Park is, IE- new adventure in that universe.

This seems more like a "I wish this crazy thing that would never happen, would actually happen" thread and not a speculation thread. Speculation is usually based on some sort of evidence or rumor

#23 1 year ago

I’d enjoy anyone of those titles except Tron. I do not get the fascination with that game. Love the soundtrack for sure, but I’d take a twd or met any day over it.

#24 1 year ago

Tspp would be great, and a fixed flipper gap GB should be on the table.
    And yes, lotr would be a huge hit remake

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

I’d enjoy anyone of those titles except Tron. I do not get the fascination with that game. Love the soundtrack for sure, but I’d take a twd or met any day over it.

agree. Tron is a snoozer

#26 1 year ago

Interesting how many licensing experts are on this site. Pinside should start a pinball licensing consulting firm since there's so much knowledge on the subject on this site. It's amazing.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

I gave it a go but didn't see the attraction either.

An ass for every seat as an old salesman once stated, this isn't an insult. There are a number of games I WANT to like but come across to me as not fun and there are games I have little interest in that were great shooters.

No interest in Rush the band but Rush the pinball was a riot to play at Pintastic.

#28 1 year ago

My guess (Wish) is Ghostbuster or Walking Dead Comic Edition. Now that they're re-releasing the TWD comic in color that could look much better than a black and white game.

#29 1 year ago

Why isn't Star Trek on the list?

#30 1 year ago

My best guess is that if they did do it, it would be a theme based on a movie or tv show. Something they can pull video and other assets from, so they aren't stuck making a lot of custom animations for the LCD.

#31 1 year ago

Hope you guys get what you want. All these games upgraded with new LCDs are so much better. I started this craze back in 2011 when I added an LCD to Stern's Ironman.

Still using monochrome DMD tech in 2011 was just ridiculously outdated, so I upgraded every game I worked on - Transformers, Avatar, T2, LOTR, STTNG... you name it, I upgraded them all with LCDs (for the virtual pinball world).

Today, every Tom, Dick and Harry is doing it.

Best of the bunch though is Tron Legacy. An LCD upgrade on that game brings it to life. BUT (and this is a BIG BUT), you need a world-class coder to integrate the action on the playfield with the action on the LCD, to make an incredible immersive experience. Just playing movie clips isn't good enough.

#32 1 year ago

I'd welcome the opportunity to buy a NIB Metallica!

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

I'd welcome the opportunity to buy a NIB Metallica!

And stern will gladly sell you a premium for 10k if it happens

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

And stern will gladly sell you a premium for 10k if it happens

At that price it would still be significantly less than any MET Premiums currently for sale on Pinside.

#35 1 year ago

Vaults happen when a particular title is going for stupid cash on Pinside. So what’s the most stupidly-priced older Stern right now?

#36 1 year ago

They've been "speculating" on DMD > LCD conversions ever since the first Stern LCD game was released 6 years ago.

It's almost like in between rare game releases, pinball podcasters/youtubers have nothing to discuss so they just revisit the same bullshit topics they always revert to.

#37 1 year ago

Heavy Metal

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

They've been "speculating" on DMD > LCD conversions ever since the first Stern LCD game was released 6 years ago.
    It's almost like in between rare game releases, pinball podcasters/youtubers have nothing to discuss so they just revisit the same bullshit topics they always revert to.

Why would Stern invest in this?

The man has made it clear in interviews, the company always moves forward and rarely if ever "looks back"

His attitude seems to be "been there and done that so why dwell on it further" when there is so much that can be done.

#39 1 year ago

South Park. It’s what killed williams and follows the recent trend.

But a vault of a Sam game seems doubtful but a V2 like they’ve been doing seems obviously possible.

#40 1 year ago

A vaulted LCD LOTR would easily outsell James Bond

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from doublestack:

Yeah, definitely overrated. I bought an LE day one based on theme, music, and the timing of being able to afford a NIB pin for the first time in my life. Initially I love/hated (mostly loved) its ass-kicky nature and Daft Punk vibe, but over time it un-grew on me. Shallow code, woodchop scoring, Borg-by-numbers playfield layout, photoshop art.

If they're gonna license OG Tron '82, may as well design a new Spike game from the ground up. If SAM Tron was released today it would get slaughtered in the forums.

#42 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I started this craze back in 2011 when I added an LCD to Stern's Ironman.

#44 1 year ago

I’d much rather Stern continue making new games than revisit old ones.

Stern made plenty of all the games listed in this thread, there isn’t a shortage of them to go around, they’re just stupidly priced.

#45 1 year ago

The Simpsons Tree House of Horror Edition. Day 1 buyer for sure

#46 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Never ends does it?

In his defense, he has made some of the most epic virtual pinball tables around with the most realistic physics. They make virtual pinball marginally fun. Translation of his Tron legacy table into a real game would be incredible.

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from Haymaker:

If theres no chance of something then theres no point in speculation. A Gomez (or other designer) original ghostbusters game is possible I'm sure, but that wouldn't be a vault. Plus I imagine a game like that would be based on the actual movie about as much as Jurassic Park is, IE- new adventure in that universe.
    This seems more like a "I wish this crazy thing that would never happen, would actually happen" thread and not a speculation thread. Speculation is usually based on some sort of evidence or rumor

Speculation - "the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence."

The Ghostbuster pinball vault/re-do has been floating around on Pinside a while now, so I put it in the list.

Just imagine the title of the thread is "Stern LCD Vault Speculation I Heard a Rumor Day Dream What If Maybe Thread".

And as I always say, Gary Stern himself said that a new KISS pinball machine would NEVER HAPPEN....and it did.

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from Yoko2una:

Why isn't Star Trek on the list?

I thought about it and wasn't sure if it's that much in demand...secondhand pricing seems to be fairly low on that game. But like Transformers, they could release it in a new art package and assets to sell it again?

#49 1 year ago
    Quoted from ahdelarge:

I thought about it and wasn't sure if it's that much in demand...secondhand pricing seems to be fairly low on that game. But like Transformers, they could release it in a new art package and assets to sell it again?

Possible, demand is still fairly high but less than Ghostbusters.

For what GB is selling for, it would be run before ST in my opinion if Stern wanted to latch onto that demand.

#50 1 year ago

It’s Metallica and it’s a redesign as well.

There are 108 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-lcd-vault-speculation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.