New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 236584)

Stern launches Insider Program

By westofrome

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 364 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by Graysonsdad
  • Topic is favorited by 16 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 35 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0617 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F96BD969-0592-4385-AA3B-DB96846368AF (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).png
    Hey Oh (resized).jpg
    62137817_10157445719774244_5121993223421558784_o (resized).jpg
    59873570_10157381109639244_7154546187985485824_o (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    6E4B1DA4-EAA3-4C6F-A1DC-EFCD450BB6CB (resized).jpeg
    C466E29E-D562-45B4-B9FC-52232F0C7B8C (resized).jpeg
    085B7AAF-3936-4306-BD92-9F1068C96FF6 (resized).jpeg
    29DB83DA-2C23-48A5-A2E4-B27BE5A77CE1.gif
    IMG_0537 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0536 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0535 (resized).jpeg
    MUN (resized).png

There are 364 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.
    #351 57 days ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Are people really still doing this?

Some people, besides those on Pinside. Enjoy it and get something out of it.

LTG : )

#352 57 days ago

The best manufacturer's insider programs are bi-directional and members feel priviledged to be asked to be part of this exclusive 'by invitation only' group. Those manufacturers usually put an NDA in place and can then share ideas with their insiders way up front. They ask their insiders for opinions on priorities, values, saleability, etc. Sending promo literature early and a hat is NOT an insider program. It's a mailing list.

Imagine if Stern came to the trusted insiders community sometime in 2020 and said, "We are now planning our 2022 product introduction roadmap. We will likely get 2 titles introduced in 2022. Internally, we have narrowed the possible titles down to these five....<fillin1,2,3,4,5>.. please rank these in the order you think most interesting and tell us why you think so."

Now that is an example of a true Insider's value. Target demographic enthusiasts that play 100 games a year, buy 1 or 2 games a year, and have an opinion that is more informed than simply asking Ruth from Rochester.

#353 57 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Liar lol
    That shirt was horrible joke to anyone and there is almost no content put out by Stern that isnt as simple as a Google search the next day. Not that they even put any content out really.
    I wish it WAS a better program but its crap to anyone that pissed away that money, not just pinsiders.

#354 57 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

It's a lazy attempt at a cash grab. They make more with less effort from their $700 toppers. Stick to that Stern.

#355 57 days ago
    Quoted from Graysonsdad:

That shirt was horrible joke to anyone and there is almost no content put out by Stern that isnt as simple as a Google search the next day.

I can't comment on the shirt. I haven't seen one.

As far as a Google search. Everyday 20 or 30 new people join Pinside. Many of them, and Pinside members already. Don't know how to search. Care to search. Or are lazy.

How many times do you see the same person making multiple posts looking for a simple response. Or asking again and ignoring previous posts answering it. Or asking a question that has been answered a few posts above their question. Too many people want to be spoon fed these days.

Some people like it simply emailed to them. Or get info a day early. Must be a market for it or it wouldn't exist. Or they are committed Stern supporters.

#356 57 days ago
    Quoted from pipes:

Are people really still doing this? Why not just buy a shirt or hat if you want one and not deal with sifting through all the rest of the garbage they send you throughout the year. Are they still doing that podcast that nobody cares about?

I do care, because I enjoy the inside baseball of the industry. The interviews with creative team members, some various design photos and whitewood stage photos, and some other random tidbits.

I was dissatisfied with the amount of content produced though. 7 pods, 3 whatever videos, and barely any photos over this past year. Hell, they couldn't even send the Insiders the teaser and announcement trailers since Black Knight. I know this stuff shows up on pinside almost immediately, but it's the gesture of putting some sort of good faith effort to make this more than a cash grab. Instead, all I really get is a bunch of emails telling me about code updates for games I don't even own

#357 57 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

I can't comment on the shirt. I haven't seen one.
    As far as a Google search. Everyday 20 or 30 new people join Pinside. Many of them, and Pinside members already. Don't know how to search. Care to search. Or are lazy.
    How many times do you see the same person making multiple posts looking for a simple response. Or asking again and ignoring previous posts answering it. Or asking a question that has been answered a few posts above their question. Too many people want to be spoon fed these days.
    Some people like it simply emailed to them. Or get info a day early. Must be a market for it or it wouldn't exist. Or they are committed Stern supporters.

So the program should be shit with little to no effort put in just because there are too many people that also wont put in the effort to just read or search out something of interest to them? Im not privy to any inside info. Im not a pinball veteran. I found pinside no problem and i get answers to my questions no problem. The insider program is just a cash grab. Dirty pool Stern.

Also, the shirt became a work shirt immediately. Picture the kind of shirt youd find in a dollar store then put a Stern logo on in. It loke they had all this promo stock in a warehouse that they couldnt even give away so Gary told them to chuck them in the insider swag bag. Swag is nice but its the lack of any "inside" info or special treatment that makes it so insulting.

#358 56 days ago

They put up a pod this morning with the team discussing Avengers

Great listen.

#359 56 days ago

Again, what Stern has created in my opinion is not an 'insider' program. It is an newsletter-style mailing list. They are not putting members 'inside' anything. Real INSIDER programs provide their members with details and discussions that the general public doesn't get. Or sooner than the public gets it. That is where the name comes from: Being INSIDE some of the company's various team circles. Being INSIDE some of the internal discussions. INSIDE!

For Avengers, the incarnation of a REAL insider program would have started ~2 years ago (maybe summer of 2018), perhaps helping Stern product management folks narrowing their short list of titles to one. Then Stern would be able to start sharing their selection of Avengers as the title for Fall2020 introduction with these INSIDERS. They could have hosted two-way focus group discussions about the various aspects of the Avenger franchise being considered by the artists, looking for commentary on the various theme elements, features, toys, rules, etc. All along the way, INSIDERS could have be asked to validate or just get sneek peeks on what the prototypes looked like, and as they got closer, perhaps a few select insiders would be offered to play prototype machines at Stern HQ or a proto unit shpped a west-coast location (or both).

If the above program existed, then Stern could derive more value of the INSIDERS as they could have participated in announcement details, provided testimonial of what they think about the new title to be used in announcment materials, joined the Stern folks at Trade shows standing IN the booth, not just walking by and waving as general show attendees, etc.

#360 56 days ago

Well, I feel like I know a lot more about Avengers than most people on pinside after that pod. I'm going to enjoy my brief insider knowledge of Keith saying what his proudest achievement at Stern has been, some of the general scoring features and wizard mode features (interesting limited flip mode that is different than any other implementation I've heard of), and how they came up with some of the designs.

I still think Insider is expensive for what you get, but this pod being ready for reveal day was great considering how relatively little is known now and Dead Flip isn't streaming it for another week.

#361 56 days ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

Well, I feel like I know a lot more about Avengers than most people on pinside after that pod. I'm going to enjoy my brief insider knowledge of Keith saying what his proudest achievement at Stern has been, some of the general scoring features and wizard mode features (interesting limited flip mode that is different than any other implementation I've heard of), and how they came up with some of the designs.
    I still think Insider is expensive for what you get, but this pod being ready for reveal day was great considering how relatively little is known now and Dead Flip isn't streaming it for another week.

Sounds like the PODcast was good, but it was released to the public today as well. I got the same summary of Avenger details from distributors today. No insider program needed. My point is INSIDER programs should have made that type of information available to actual INSIDERS months before today. Those INSIDERS would have been covered by some form of confidentiality agreement to maintain the 'secret' nature of it.

All this being said, I think Stern COULD re-imagine an insider's program with bi-directional value and realize it could be a tremendous source of help. Separating a new program from their existing INSIDER mailing list, they would invest in developing relationships with handfuls of people (less than 50), with various backgrounds and expertise, to help them. Bi-directional, confidential, frank open discussions. This is a great opportunity for Stern to incorporate more 'advisors' into their own processes. Maybe call it an ADVISORY BOARD or something else. Stern would have no obligation to listen to these advisors, but its in their best interest to consider their views... As the pinball marketplace heats up again and becomes more competitive, this could be a new source of points of view, expertise, both from the consumer and designer standpoints. ADVISORY BOARDS make sense...

#362 56 days ago

Well fuck-a-doodle-do if I didn't have to pay for that pod

Anyhow, Stern does have the sort of insiders you're talking about. They're just few and it's mostly beta testers. Stern can get all the free opinions about what they're doing wrong and what people want that they can handle on Pinside.

And even if there was a NDA, there would still be leaks. The bigger you make a secretive group, the more likely it is to fail.

#363 56 days ago
    Quoted from Markharris2000:

Again, what Stern has created in my opinion is not an 'insider' program. It is an newsletter-style mailing list. They are not putting members 'inside' anything. Real INSIDER programs provide their members with details and discussions that the general public doesn't get. Or sooner than the public gets it. That is where the name comes from: Being INSIDE some of the company's various team circles. Being INSIDE some of the internal discussions. INSIDE!

Its 'exclusive early access' - does that make you feel any better?

If you think any such program is ever going to get you confidential info sitting at the design tables months ahead.. you're just setting up strawmen.

#364 56 days ago
    Quoted from TreyBo69:

I listened to the whole thing earlier today and im not an insider anymore. Welcome to the internet. Nothing special here

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    £ 50.00
    Cabinet Parts
    PinballToys
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 214.99
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 41.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 1.95
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 52.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 25.00
    Magazines/books
    Just Pinball
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    $ 26.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 6.00
    Rubber/Silicone
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 20.00
    Various Novelties
    GC Pinball
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 66.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 68.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Judge Dredd plastic Out of stock
    Pinball Haus
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 5.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 42.00
    There are 364 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 8.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside