(Topic ID: 33539)

Stern Knocker Mod -- Anyone install it yet?

By Xerico

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by mikebetz42
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

large.jpg
    Knocker.jpg
    Knocker.jpg
    photo.JPG
    #1 11 years ago

I have a Stern Knocker Mod that I purchased for my Tron LE.

Has anyone installed this mod yet?

Is it worth the trouble?

Marcus

#2 11 years ago

I have a few of my SAM system games with it.

If you like a real knocker, well worth the expense and trouble. Of which there is little trouble. A few screws, plug it in, change adjustment setting. BANG. You are go to go.

LTG : )

#3 11 years ago

I'll say it....
    What is a knocker?

#4 11 years ago

Thanks Lloyd!

And I haven't forgotten about hooking you up for the TPF.

If you want to come, I'll arrange it

Marcus

#5 11 years ago

How much is it to add those things anyways? Heard that it could be done, but never motivated enough to buy a kit. I should put one in Tron..I had to disable the software one.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from billycrna:

I'll say it....
    What is a knocker?

A Knocker is the device that makes the loud "KNOCK" sound when you accomplish a goal, like earning a free game, setting the high score, etc.

New Sterns replaced the physical coil that made the "KNOCK" on older games with an electronic "KNOCK" generated by a computer board.

Some of us prefer the sound of a physical "KNOCK" over the screech that tries to mimic a "KNOCK". So there is a Knocker Mod we can add to newer Stern's that replace the electronic Knocker with a physical, old school knocker.

Hope I didn't confuse you even more!

Marcus

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

How much is it to add those things anyways? Heard that it could be done, but never motivated enough to buy a kit. I should put one in Tron..I had to disable the software one.

I bought mine for $49.95 from Pinball Life.

Looking at the invoice, it appears I bought it on January 1, 2012. LOL.

I'm such the procrastinator!

Marcus

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

I have a Stern Knocker Mod that I purchased for my TRON LE.
    Has anyone installed this mod yet?
    Is it worth the trouble?
    Marcus

I put one in my Black Spider-Man (and would put one in my X-Men if they were made available again). It was easy to instal and works nice. It's not as loud as a Williams knocker (because of where it is located), but it sounds just like any other Data East / Sega knocker did before Stern went to the fake knocker sound.

#9 11 years ago

I hate that screech

Post edited by luch

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Xerico:

Thanks Lloyd!

And I haven't forgotten about hooking you up for the TPF.

If you want to come, I'll arrange it

Marcus

Since things were already rolling for TPF I thought I was out.

Please include me if you can arrange it.

And thank you !

#11 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

And thank you !

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

LTG said:

And thank you !

When Marcus was at my business some time back. He asked if I had interest in doing a seminar at TPF. I would like to do other shows, buck lack the funds to do something.

So Marcus is trying to get me to TPF so I can meet all the nice Texas pinheads. ( just visit, no seminar ).

#13 11 years ago

THAT'S WHAT THAT LOUD HORRID SOUND IS!!!!!!! Thank you!!!

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from billycrna:

THAT'S WHAT THAT LOUD HORRID SOUND IS!!!!!!! Thank you!!!

Which one? The screech or the knocker?

#15 11 years ago

They are awesome. Mount it to hit the side of the cabinet instead of the brace in the middle, then it is equivalent to the sound of a WMS/Bally knocker. In order to do this in the stock location you have to use a block of wood to raise it about 1/4" to clear the triangular brace along the cabinet bottom.

#16 11 years ago

Is there any way to do this on my TSPP? Cannot stand the screech on this and my RFM, would much rather have a true knocker.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from stangbat:

They are awesome. Mount it to hit the side of the cabinet instead of the brace in the middle, then it is equivalent to the sound of a WMS/Bally knocker. In order to do this in the stock location you have to use a block of wood to raise it about 1/4" to clear the triangular brace along the cabinet bottom.

I read about mounting it to hit the side after I had mine installed. I wish I could find a side mount bracket like the one in the Addams Family cabinet. How did you mount your wood block? Screw it in or run a bolt all the way through the bottom of the cabinet?

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If you like a real knocker, well worth the expense

I love me some real knockers

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from DugFreez:

How did you mount your wood block? Screw it in or run a bolt all the way through the bottom of the cabinet?

I actually mounted mine up front on the right next to the coin box. There isn't a brace piece up there so you can just mount the knocker bracket on the cabinet base. The wires are long enough if you are careful how you route them, but there isn't a lot of extra slack when you put down the backbox. That's why I mentioned using a block of wood, you won't have to worry about wire length if you do that. You'll have to look at your situation to see what will work best.

#20 11 years ago

I just took a look at Pinball Life, but only saw a DE coil assembly. Is a kit for Stern available? Can someone point me in the right direction?

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

I just took a look at Pinball Life, but only saw a DE coil assembly. Is a kit for Stern available? Can someone point me in the right direction?

Email Terry to see if he might have more knocker kits available in the future.

3 weeks later
    #22 11 years ago

So, I received my knocker today. A couple of questions....the knocker plate is supposed to go right where I have a grounding cord. I'm pretty sure I just need to move the grounding wire over. Is this right? Or, can I just screw the plate right over it? Anyone?

photo.JPGphoto.JPG

#23 11 years ago

Funky angle on the photo...sorry.. The speaker/woofer is in the upper right of the photo if that offers some perspective.

#24 11 years ago

Quite a jump in price for these from the last one I bought. $79.95. I may try to mount this one to hit the side to get a better knock.

#25 11 years ago

I would not put it there Billy. Won't be as loud.
    I would move that bundle of wire just to the left and have the knocker hit the side of the cabinet.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I would not put it there Billy. Won't be as loud.
    I would move that bundle of wire just to the left and have the knocker hit the side of the cabinet.

I slid the plate under the grounding wire and installed everything. It's loud....but would probably have been louder if it struck the side SealClubber.....where were you 3 days ago?! Overall, I'm very pleased. Live and learn.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from billycrna:

I slid the plate under the grounding wire and installed everything. It's loud....but would probably have been louder if it struck the side SealClubber.....where were you 3 days ago?! Overall, I'm very pleased. Live and learn.

The knocker would be louder in the head or hitting the side of the cabinet, but I feel like if Stern still put real knockers in they would mount just where these kits describe (since that is where Data East and Sega knockers were mounted). It's not as loud there, but I can rationalize that it is in it's proper location, even thought Stern's don't have a proper location.

#28 11 years ago

Quite a jump in price for these from the last one I bought. $79.95.

This just seems like about $65 too high. I have spare parts laying around, enough to piece together some kind of knocker. I'm thinking I can do this circuit and make my own. Does this look like it would work?

Knocker.jpgKnocker.jpg

#29 11 years ago

The kit includes the coil, plunger, mounting bracket, strike plate, etc. so your $15 is quite a bit too low, but you could put it together for a good bit less than $80. Building the transistor circuit from scratch when a PCB is available for $14 seemed like CARGPB territory to me.

This thread describes how I installed it in the head, and it is LOUD up there. It's probably a bit higher in pitch than a Bally/Williams knocker, but none of my B/W games are as loud as this one.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/are-there-any-stern-real-knocker-kits-available/page/2#post-598042

This page written by PT describes the installation.

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm

#30 11 years ago
    Quoted from herg:

Building the transistor circuit from scratch when a PCB is available for $14 seemed like CARGPB territory to me.

But my way is more fun...

I like the way you hooked into the connector in the head.

#31 11 years ago

If you find that fun, then sure, it would be even cheaper. At a quick glance, your circuit looks like it would work.

#32 11 years ago

Does this look like it would work?

In case anyone is going to try this circuit, I think it is wrong. I looked at the schematics last night, and it looks like Stern switches the GND on to fire the coils (not the other way), so I'd need a PNP instead. So here is an updated circuit -- THIS IS UNTESTED!!!

Knocker.jpgKnocker.jpg

#33 11 years ago

How about this:

DO-IT-YOURSELF KNOCKER FOR STERN SAM PINBALL MACHINES
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/knocker.htm

-Mike

#34 11 years ago

DRIVER BOARD, STEP UP $12.95
    #520-5254-00
    50 volt step up mini driver board.
    Reference:
    520-5254-00
    Weight: 0.29 oz

large.jpglarge.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-knocker-mod-anyone-install-it-yet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.