Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by GabeKnuth
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I have a new Star Trek LE game. When the game calls for the knocker, I get a loud, very distorted sound. It's the same no matter what volume the knocker is set to (unless it's off). Is this a known issue? Is there any fix or something that I should check?

Thanks in advance!

#2 10 years ago

I'm afraid it's probably working as intended.

#3 10 years ago

That is the Stern "knocker", in all of its gloriousness.

#4 10 years ago

Been that way for 15 plus years. Turn the knocker "off" before playing your first game on any modern Stern you get.

#5 10 years ago

I think I'm the only one that is okay with the Stern knocker. I think it's great you can control the knocker volume and I don't mind the sound

#6 10 years ago

You must be the only one Toasterdog. The first times I heard it I was certain that the audio file was corrupted.

Yes, turn it off. And for goodness sake, hope someone makes a real knocker kit one day.

#7 10 years ago

Thanks for all the quick responses! I'm glad I don't have a corrupt audio board. I'll just disable it and be thankful!

2 weeks later
#8 10 years ago

I don't have time to add a real knocker to the game yet, but I was going to patch in a more legit knocker sound along with updating to the latest release. Does anyone happen to know where the sound lives in Pinball Browser? I can step through them, but that takes a LONG time! Here's the file I was going to use if anyone else wants it. [attachment=1473317,null]

[attachment=1473317,]

*EDIT - Apparently I don't know how to post an attachment? If anyone wants it, PM me.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from GabeKnuth:

I was going to patch in a more legit knocker sound along with updating to the latest release.

That would be a service to humanity. It is a mystery why Stern put that thing in there in the first place, and an even greater mystery why it has lasted all these years.

#10 10 years ago

I have gotten used to it and don't cringe like I used to. Only thing that upsets me is when I hear my real knocker in TAF and it sounds so damn awesome. My wife jumped the first time she heard the TAF do it.

If you are reading this Stern, would be nice if you used a real one or improved your fake sound one.

#11 10 years ago

The first time I heard the knocker on a modern Stern(Tron) I thought it was broken :0)

#13 10 years ago

Olivia Wilde and Olivia Munn have excellent knockers...

#14 10 years ago

Someone used to make a knocker kit for the newer Sterns, can't remember who. Maybe it was Terry at Pinball Life... I remember because I was one of the last to get one for my ACDC. I don't have to put up with that screetch until I ever get a new Stern but hopefully he or someone will make them again.

#15 10 years ago

I *think* the sound for the knocker is at 0x15 for those keeping score at home. I'll update the game later and report back if it works.

#16 10 years ago

I think Stern stole the knocker noise from Pinball 2000. That is one of the few things I DON'T like about the Pinball 2000 platform. Or Stern's LOTR and Monopoly.

Chris

#17 10 years ago

I havent turned it off on the Sterns but might as well. On a funny note-had a friend over recently and when he matched on TOTAN he just about sh!t his pants. Lets face it...great knockers rule!!

#18 10 years ago

I have put an actual knocker sound on both my Sterns. It sounds much better, but since the original sound is only 108ms, and the actual knocker sound is 340 ms, it cuts it off. It is located at 0x15.

#19 10 years ago

I managed to mix together the front half and back half of the knocker sound to get around that 108ms. It's a quick fade, but at least you get the reverb a bit at the end. I did nothing to the gain, but when I installed it it was REALLY loud. I'll tweak, and when I've got it right I'll post it here.

#20 10 years ago

I remember playing an Iron Man that had a real knocker attached to it. It wasn't too loud thankfully...

But then you have the really loud ones. I once had a terrible game on T2, then entered the match sequence and heard the loudest knock ever - it rumbled the arcade I was playing in. Still, that sound gives me nightmares... I desperately avoid getting to the replay score just to avoid that sound.

#21 10 years ago

Ok, I've hit on something that's at least better than the "squashed dog" sound that currently plays. It's exactly .108 seconds, and while it's not even close to an actual knocker, it will get me by for now.

One caution - you have to set the knocker volume to low. I don't know what happens, but having it on high makes it sound awful. Hell, the one that's in there by default might be so bad on low.

Edit: Ok, for some reason I can't figure out how to attach files. Drag file into box under post, click Insert, right? Anyway, you can just download it from here. https://www.dropbox.com/l/Bf7j7VCBVrZ9MhUEwTfQza

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
10,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boerne, TX
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com
Sound/Speakers
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boynton Beach, FL
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-knocker-distortion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.