tool.jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
B2D82035-78BF-4746-8F5F-5223D6260942 (resized).jpeg
animalhouse.gif
6ae21b392355c5408c7a3cf99ee9e05e4cd7cf72 (resized).jpg
b568692b1c01d9c3acb5c79d0717891ef9c06600 (resized).jpg
sh (resized).jpg
F5649177-EC41-4FBC-B8E1-B9CC8480FBED (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phoenixpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#249 4 years ago

I was making this same choice and chose Jurassic Park. I spent hours on each game at this point. I also own a POTC and love JJP in general. My reasoning is based on:
1. My strong preference for the JP code. I wanted a mode based journey pin and/or a rule set that invests me in the theme somehow. Jurassic Park offers 3 separate pathways of modes (control room, TREX, and paddocks) + the rule set is thoughtful as to the theme (different dinosaurs have different behavior, as one small example) so it wins on that. Moreover, I like that each of those pathways has an associated mini-wizard mode so there is something to achieve at the end of it. It allows the depth of a journey while still allowing the breadth of many choices. Willy Wonka's code design falls flat for me as it feels like a lot is going on at the same time yet is not generally speaking a mode-based game nor do I feel invested in the theme as I play (the one exception would be the mini-wizard modes). Although Wonka does have all those mini-wizard modes, several of them are achieved through multiball success and I just don't care as much about that. It is just my preference, but I don't feel invested in that.
2. I would rather have the new story that JP tells than the mixed use of limited resources in a jumbled way that is presented in Wonka.
3. I hate the sounds on Wonka more than I dislike some sounds on JP (which are more likely to be replaced by someone in the community anyway).
4. I'm shocked to be saying this, but I prefer the mechs on JP Premium than Wonka LE. Never thought I'd pick a Stern over JJP in that regard but there you have it.

Other points:
-They both shoot great.
-love JP de Win, but I actually prefer animations on Jurassic Park over Wonka.
-Art is above average on both but neither sways me strongly compared to say Deadpool
-Wonka does have better lighting BUT there are way too many lights on at once such that they fight each other in my opinion.

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I own both (Wonka SE and jp pro) and I prefer Wonka, but both are fun games that I'm glad I own.
People hit Wonka for theme integration, but other than the words on translight that say Jurassic Park, I don't know how you can really call this a Jurassic Park themed game. It's more like a dinosaur cartoon themed game. No clips, no callouts (except for nedry chuckle) from the movie, really odd.
Both games are great shooters, JP feels a lot more linear. I haven't quite figured out all the rules for both games yet. My high score on jp is a little over 600mil, Wonka 4 mil, factory settings. Both games have been trouble free with only minor adjustments needed.
Theme integration: Wonka
Sound: Wonka
Variability: Wonka
Artwork: JP (Wonka is cut and paste art
Fun factor: tie, maybe slight edge to Wonka.
Lighting: Wonka
Depth: Wonka, but jp code still evolving
Innovation/toys: Wonka (JP has none really)
Screen animations: Wonka.
Flow: tie

I wonder if your opinions will change with JP Premium? Particularly fun and toys.

#288 4 years ago

First of all, I agree with you. The game is better and more creative for having gone their own direction with it.

For argument’s sake though, one might offer up Batman 66 as the ideal example of using media clips for the betterment of the game. It does make that game better. BUT, it is not the case that it would ALWAYS make any game better.

I think it depends on:
- how beloved the property is (for example I own a POTC and prefer that there are no actors scenes)
- the nature of the property. For example, I think for comedies like Big Lebowski or Batman 66 you’d especially want the clips. For big action movies like Transformers I don’t need (and likely don’t want) movie clips.
- how clever the ruleset is to involve you in the game when you don’t have assets. In this case, Elwin had such an awesome clever approach to a journey based pin with multiple mode pathways, video game/board game collect the dinosaurs vibe, and overall depth that makes me really happy with the package and wary that had movie clips been available, the ruleset would have gone a much more boring way (like GOTG, which is still a better than average pin but, in my opinion, still not an all time great).

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:Here's my very strong argument FOR the use of movie clips in a movie-themed pinball game....my remastered version of Jurassic Park.

I love what Stern was able to do with Jurassic Park but freely admit your work here is really cool! I found the sound + clips tied to the shots was immersive and impressive.

#295 4 years ago

I’m honestly not in agreement that Wonka has a deeper ruleset, but maybe we differ on the meaning of deep. I agree it is deeper than many games out there, but it’s no WOZ or POTC and I’d actually say JP is deeper than Wonka.

My reasoning:
1/3 of the central inserts are related to playfield multipliers, there are only 4 main modes, bonus is related to a single thing (Wonka bars), and all mini wizard modes are linearly achieved mainly through either the first freebie golden ticket (basically awarded for generally ‘playing well’) or by scoring enough shots on various multiballs.

I still like Wonka but not seeing how it wins out on depth.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Appleton, WI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
9,600 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phoenixpin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-or-willy-wonka-?tu=phoenixpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.