tool.jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
B2D82035-78BF-4746-8F5F-5223D6260942 (resized).jpeg
animalhouse.gif
6ae21b392355c5408c7a3cf99ee9e05e4cd7cf72 (resized).jpg
b568692b1c01d9c3acb5c79d0717891ef9c06600 (resized).jpg
sh (resized).jpg
F5649177-EC41-4FBC-B8E1-B9CC8480FBED (resized).png
There are 310 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.
#1 4 years ago

As an owner of all 4 previous JJP pins, it was a slam dunk in my mind to get a WW once they make it over to the UK in late fall. However, have been struggling with reconciling the cost of even the standard WW pin given the seemingly punitive decision to make the artwork so basic and the mechs so limited. I have 4 kids, so Willy Wonka did seem like a kid friendly theme though and all my JJP's are built like tanks, so love the quality. Having now seen the new Stern Jurassic Park pin, I'm re-thinking my NIB purchase this year. Didn't buy IMDN because of the theme, but thought the layout and rules were superb. My boys love Jurassic Park and there is no lack of interest in dinosaurs or the theme despite it being a 90's film. The logo and merchandise still sell on T-Shirts and games, the film is still watched and holds up well. Is this Jurassic Park a better more relevant pin for the kids and still packed enough to be challenging. At the price of the paired down JJP standard I can get a premium Jurassic Park to sit next to my TSPP and B66. What do you think, WW or Jurasic Park?

#2 4 years ago

Impossible to know before seeing JP code in action. Will it be crappy Munsters code at launch or very good Iron Maiden level? I would 100% wait until we see the Premium in action and get some non-promotional hands-on impressions.

#3 4 years ago

Oh, why worrying. Just get both and sell one that's played the least in a year.
Problem solved

#4 4 years ago

How are we supposed to vote without a poll?

#5 4 years ago

One barely played pin vs. a pin not even released.

hmm..

#7 4 years ago

Wait to find out! The JP layout looks really cool based on the leaks, hopefully we get a full announcement soon.

#8 4 years ago

Who knows? but Pinball expo is 89 days away. Hopefully I get to try them both.

Also, I would like to see Wonka SE and LE side by side, as well as the JP, options pro vs. premium.

#9 4 years ago

Jurrasic Park looks like a winner but Willy Wonka too, personally i would never buy a new Stern NIB anymore because of build quality.

#10 4 years ago

I'm sure most kids will prefer a dinosaur theme.

Also, I think buying every pin a company makes just because is folly. They're not all worth buying. I say mix it up a little.

#11 4 years ago

Need to see and play JP first. This question is like do you like Sterns next game coming out in 2021. What is it? We don’t know.

#12 4 years ago

JP is absolutely a more relevant theme than Wonka. And Elwin has a great (but very short) track record designing games, so it will exciting to see what he does with this one. But why not wait a few months, play them both, and then buy the one you like best?

#13 4 years ago

Wonka is a great theme, amazing shooter, good art, and well coded already (with likely more coming)

JP2 is a great theme, and we dont know anymore besides that. We can assume code will be rough to start as that is Stern MO.

Honestly, go get Wonka now. If you bore of it then easy to sell later and buy JP2

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Wonka is a great theme, amazing shooter, good art, and well coded already (with likely more coming)
JP2 is a great theme, and we dont know anymore besides that. We can assume code will be rough to start as that is Stern MO.
Honestly, go get Wonka now. If you bore of it then easy to sell later and buy JP2

Great theme easy shots good art

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from melappels:

Jurrasic Park looks like a winner but Willy Wonka too, personally i would never buy a new Stern NIB anymore because of build quality.

At least stern stands by the product unlike JJP charging customers for a new playfield that’s unpopulated and making customers populate it themselves. POTC

#16 4 years ago

I think IMDN was coded pretty quick actually.

Sadly, I'd be avoiding all thing JJP right now with their issues.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

At least stern stands by the product unlike JJP charging customers for a new playfield that’s unpopulated and making customers populate it themselves. POTC

That’s just ridiculous. Hey I can see maybe an unpopulated field at least something. I really want a JJP but geez I don’t know anymore with the issues now. Look forward to JP though.

#18 4 years ago

Kid MB versus lots of Dinosaurs.

Tough choice folks!

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Sadly, I'd be avoiding all thing JJP right now with their issues.

What are the JJP issues ? I must‘ve missed that thread. I only seem to hear about node board failures on Sterns.

#20 4 years ago

Both, Wonka was an instant classic in our house and JP looks decent, going to have to wait for full reveal and gameplay videos.

#21 4 years ago

Poll added

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

What are the JJP issues ? I must‘ve missed that thread. I only seem to hear about node board failures on Sterns.

Stern has a bucket load as well. Don’t look into it to much. All companies have their issues to deal with.

#23 4 years ago
#24 4 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Short story, clear issues with Marco playfields.
Long story

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/potc-who-has-playfield-dimples-cracking-wear-around-star-posts-

Quoted from Skyemont:

Stern has a bucket load as well. Don’t look into it to much. All companies have their issues to deal with.

Stern had PF issues before and I would have advised him to avoid them then too.

#25 4 years ago

Where is the I'm a Baller "Both" option

#26 4 years ago

I could not decide until playing both. I met jersey Jack the other day and he was a great guy.

#27 4 years ago

Because I haven't seen much of Jurassic park yet: Willy Wonka. I think it's easy too early for a poll like this. Noone here has seen gameplay, let alone played jp yet, isn't it?
It looks interesting and to me the layout looks better than the last Sterns, but it's way too early to judge

#28 4 years ago

I cancelled my WW pre order after seeing hearing the sound and that awful callout voice actor.

I am ordering a JP2 Premium as soon as I can.

#29 4 years ago

To keep it simple based on your input.
JP

#30 4 years ago

Disappointed with the standard Wonka, the art and removal of the Wonka lock is ludicrous. I realize they need to push people to buy the LE but the mech removed can’t have been more than $100.

Remove the shaker, the invisible glass but leave the darn toys alone. I know that Stern does it but typically JJP doesn’t.

I think Wonka looks like a lot of fun but not sure $9500 fun for the full feature game. Perhaps they should have made a middle ground version.

I was leaning towards Wonka on principle because JJP are so much stuff but Wonka seems to be taking stuff off and JP seems to be adding stuff over a typical Stern. So they are convergence and after playing Iron Maiden I’m not betting against Keith.

F5649177-EC41-4FBC-B8E1-B9CC8480FBED (resized).pngF5649177-EC41-4FBC-B8E1-B9CC8480FBED (resized).png

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I cancelled my WW pre order after seeing hearing the sound and that awful callout voice actor.

WTF Why the rush

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I just got my Wonka last week. It's on location now, but I did get a few dozen plays on it. The voice isnt too annoying. It reminded me of roller coaster tycoon. I haven't played a rct in a long time, so I maybe off on that.

Wonka is a little repetitive at the start. Like any game, the more you learn the better it gets. I do love it when he starts singing the creepy boat song and the playfield goes dark.

As an operator, JP is an awesome theme. Family friendly and a loved theme. Game play wont matter. Just like GB and SW, it will make money.

#35 4 years ago

Depends. I think JP would be more of a draw for boys and Wonka might be a more girl friendly theme. The gameplay is what makes a game though and from what I've experienced Wonka isn't that great.

#36 4 years ago

I’ve yet to play either pin. I’ll wait until I play both to make a decision.

Which pin is best for kids? Depends on if they’re scared of dying in a chocolate factory or being killed by dinosaurs.....

#37 4 years ago

The most I've seen of JP is a fussy playfield photo, think it's a bit early to be saying x vs y. Seems there is more love for JP vs WW theming, but I'm just the opposite but that's just personal opinion on theme. Still, have my heart set on a WW, but I won't spend money until I get at least 100 games on it on location.

I think saying x vs y on a brand new game and a yet to be released game is shooting the dark at a thug while your family is in the house. Might hit the thug, but you may hit your family. Wait until you can see before taking the shot!

#38 4 years ago

This is the very definition of "first world problems." Lol

#39 4 years ago

pics are more blurry than Zapruder film and you're starting a this vs that thread?! Love the enthusiasm but keep your powder dry for a bit.

#40 4 years ago

As a parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old, I have shown my kids the first 4 Jurassic Parks and Willy Wonka. Out of all of these movies, my children cried 2 times. There was a scene in Willy Wonka that were too intense for them (why did they decapitate a chicken in that movie).

My middle child cried a grand total of 1 time during the Jurassic Park movies... when the Indominus Rex died because it was so sad.

My kids love(d) my old Data East Jurassic Park. They helped me pick out a few dinosaurs on line to throw in. Willy Wonka is a good movie, but my kids play with dinosaurs most days and ask me to make up Jurassic Park stories... they haven't said anything about Willy Wonka since the day I showed them the movie.

If we are going by which one kids were most likely to like and completely ignoring potential gameplay...

Jurassic Park by a mile.

As far as being appealing to small children, I'd put the top games at (in no particular order):

World Cup Soccer 94
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Jurassic Park (DE or Stern)
Super Mario Brothers

I wouldn't put Willy Wonka in the same level of kids appeal for young children.

#41 4 years ago

I think the correct answer is Maiden or DI or some title that is actually built and well coded. I’ve yet to play either title in this poll.

But looks for now go to Wonka (**I have yet to see an official JP photo and nothing of the display assets so it’s like pulling an opinion out of my ass).

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

As a parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old, I have shown my kids the first 4 Jurassic Parks and Willy Wonka. Out of all of these movies, my children cried 2 times. There was a scene in Willy Wonka that were too intense for them (why did they decapitate a chicken in that movie).
My middle child cried a grand total of 1 time during the Jurassic Park movies... when the Indominus Rex died because it was so sad.
My kids love(d) my old Data East Jurassic Park. They helped me pick out a few dinosaurs on line to throw in. Willy Wonka is a good movie, but my kids play with dinosaurs most days and ask me to make up Jurassic Park stories... they haven't said anything about Willy Wonka since the day I showed them the movie.
If we are going by which one kids were most likely to like and completely ignoring potential gameplay...
Jurassic Park by a mile.
As far as being appealing to small children, I'd put the top games at (in no particular order):
World Cup Soccer 94
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Jurassic Park (DE or Stern)
Super Mario Brothers
I wouldn't put Willy Wonka in the same level of kids appeal for young children.

Just saw Wonka and don’t think there was anything disturbing. Not sure if any kids died either (reading on the net seems like no kids die in the movie or the book but do in the live Broadway play).

The film is rated G

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think the correct answer is Maiden or DI or some title that is actually built and well coded. I’ve yet to play either title in this poll.
But looks for now go to Wonka (**I have yet to see an official JP photo and nothing of the display assets so it’s like pulling an opinion out of my ass).

This, plus if people were disappointed with the cabinet art on Wonka (me included to some extent), I dunno what to say about JP .....

It looks like they've gone for the semi comic book look ... a series that was widely hated for the art style, at the time. I guess the decision may have been out of their hands to an extent, but IMO the all black cabinet with JP logo looked far better on the original.

Under the glass, easily the most interesting Spike era Stern game.

#44 4 years ago

Edit.

Did just read that chickens were murdered during the trippy board ride so I’ll retract my statement that nothing disturbing.

https://www.etonline.com/movies/150829_7_moments_from_willy_wonka_the_chocolate_factory_that_traumatized_you_as_a_child

Here is the boat ride scene go to 3 minute mark. That said the pinball machine is based on elements and characters form the movie it’s not the same as the movie.

Also this is a work of fiction people die in SW, LotR, DI, Woz, heck even the pinball machine TNA is about Armageddon.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

IMO the all black cabinet with JP logo looked far better on the original.

I completely disagree. New JP already looks better all around to me.

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Edit.
Did just read that chickens were murdered during the trippy board ride so I’ll retract my statement that nothing disturbing.
https://www.etonline.com/movies/150829_7_moments_from_willy_wonka_the_chocolate_factory_that_traumatized_you_as_a_child
Here is the boat ride scene go to 3 minute mark. That said the pinball machine is based on elements and characters form the movie it’s not the same as the movie.
Also this is a work of fiction people die in SW, LotR, DI, Woz, heck even the pinball machine TNA is about Armageddon.

O yeah.

Willy Wonka is much less intense than Jurassic Park. The first movie has about 8 people killed by dinosaurs, including having the dinosaur eat the lawyer. However, my kids were scared by the trippy scene in the video above, they were fine with all the death and destruction in the Jurassic Park movies.

Your mileage may vary.

#47 4 years ago

O yeah.
Willy Wonka is much less intense than Jurassic Park. The first movie has about 8 people killed by dinosaurs, including having the dinosaur eat the lawyer. However, my kids were scared by the trippy scene in the video above, they were fine with all the death and destruction in the Jurassic Park movies.
Your mileage may vary.

They sound well adjusted

#48 4 years ago

We all grew up watching robocop and terminator and I think we turned out ok?????

O yeah.
Your mileage may vary.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

They sound well adjusted

They are... the only part after watching all of these movies that made any of them cry was when the Indominus Rex died in Jurassic World. It was sad he died because, "He was the baddest"... I love my kids!

#50 4 years ago

They are... the only part after watching all of these movies that made any of them cry was when the Indominus Rex died in Jurassic World. It was sad he died because, "He was the baddest"... I love my kids!

I think they are ok as long as they didn't do it while eating fava beans with a nice chianti.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 24.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 310 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-or-willy-wonka-?hl=pdx-mike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.