Topic poll

“Which pin is better if you have kids?”

• Willy Wonka JJP 129 votes
    29%
  • Jurassic Park Stern 318 votes
    71%

(447 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

08522EC3-85A2-4DAE-9C56-FBAB3586AC3D (resized).jpeg
Stern JP.png
DataEastJP.png
Capture (resized).JPG
tool.jpg
s-l300 (resized).jpg
B2D82035-78BF-4746-8F5F-5223D6260942 (resized).jpeg
animalhouse.gif
6ae21b392355c5408c7a3cf99ee9e05e4cd7cf72 (resized).jpg
b568692b1c01d9c3acb5c79d0717891ef9c06600 (resized).jpg
sh (resized).jpg
F5649177-EC41-4FBC-B8E1-B9CC8480FBED (resized).png

There are 305 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 86 days ago
Quoted from sataneatscheese:

They are... the only part after watching all of these movies that made any of them cry was when the Indominus Rex died in Jurassic World. It was sad he died because, "He was the baddest"... I love my kids!

I was sad when King Kong dies.

#52 86 days ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

JP is absolutely a more relevant theme than Wonka. And Elwin has a great (but very short) track record designing games, so it will exciting to see what he does with this one. But why not wait a few months, play them both, and the. buy the one you like best?

Jp is a more relevant theme. The problem is the jp pin doesnt come with the theme.
The theme competition is between wonka and cartoon drawn dinosaurs with a cool music score.

#53 86 days ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

The theme competition is between wonka and cartoon drawn dinosaurs with a cool music score.

And somehow JP is still better....and I love Willy Wonka movie.

#54 86 days ago

I’ve played Willy Wonka a number of times on location and it’s not my thing. It just doesn’t pull me in. Maybe it’s the pace, which I feel is slow. I play a game of Willy Wonka and then turn around and play a BKSoR Premium almost every time. I’d take a BKSOR over a Wonka so I think I’d take a Jurassic Park over Wonka as well even without ever having played it.

#55 86 days ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve yet to play either pin. I’ll wait until I play both to make a decision.
Which pin is best for kids? Depends on if they’re scared of dying in a chocolate factory or being killed by dinosaurs.....

I don’t know. Did you see “Rudy” in new TS4 toy lineup. That will spook kids out real quick.

#56 86 days ago

Why would someone ask this question when one of the two games isn't even released? This is a jump the gun type of moment. The question is silly until you actually play both!

With that being said we know one thing for a fact based on history... JJP games will always retain more resale value than a Stern. So if you're looking at it from that point of view the Wonka game long term. But no one makes money off of pinball games right when you buy them new. JJP Pirates is one exception, some other super rare games, but I'm pretty sure in both cases JP or WK both will lose value the day you buy them and take them out of the box.

Long term I think JJP has proven they hold more value. As for which theme is better, I think Wonka is better because its very family friendly, classic film, its simply iconic. Wonka also has the movie clips, and probably more magic in terms of taking your picture, putting you on the screen just bells and whistles than all stern games.

If you're asking which game is going to be more fun to play very well could be JP, no one knows because no one has played the game in public. I think its a clear cut wait and see after people can get their hands on it.

#57 86 days ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

I don’t know. Did you see “Rudy” in new TS4 toy lineup. That will spook kids out real quick.

The first post was meant to be a joke- and yes, the dolls in toy story were creepy like Rudy. I also have to really watch what my son with autism watches- he re-enacts everything, good and bad. He has a hard time differentiating movies/tv from real life.

#58 85 days ago
Quoted from DarthSinex:

As an owner of all 4 previous JJP pins, it was a slam dunk in my mind to get a WW once they make it over to the UK in late fall. However, have been struggling with reconciling the cost of even the standard WW pin given the seemingly punitive decision to make the artwork so basic and the mechs so limited. I have 4 kids, so Willy Wonka did seem like a kid friendly theme though and all my JJP's are built like tanks, so love the quality. Having now seen the new Stern Jurassic Park pin, I'm re-thinking my NIB purchase this year. Didn't buy IMDN because of the theme, but thought the layout and rules were superb. My boys love Jurassic Park and there is no lack of interest in dinosaurs or the theme despite it being a 90's film. The logo and merchandise still sell on T-Shirts and games, the film is still watched and holds up well. Is this Jurassic Park a better more relevant pin for the kids and still packed enough to be challenging. At the price of the paired down JJP standard I can get a premium Jurassic Park to sit next to my TSPP and B66. What do you think, WW or Jurasic Park?

If they do it right then JPark all day long!

#59 85 days ago

All the JP hype will calm down. It’s always like this with a new pin. It will fade just like BLack Night Sword of Rage.

Quoted from Cyrus:

If they do it right then JPark all day long!

#60 85 days ago

JPLE ordered. It will be fun.

#61 85 days ago

JP is winning because it’s still in pink cloud stage.We have yet to start chopping it to pieces.

#62 85 days ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Why would someone ask this question when one of the two games isn't even released?

You must be fucking kidding people have been calling Wonka the goat since before shipping

#63 85 days ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

All the JP hype will calm down. It’s always like this with a new pin. It will fade just like BLack Night Sword of Rage.

LOL Stern hype dies because they are always moving on to the next game JJP hype dies because of the small but crazed customer base

#64 85 days ago

Sherlock Holmes

sh (resized).jpg
#65 85 days ago

From my personal experience, I'd buy the game that YOU want, not the kids. The novelty will run out soon with kids and then it's basically your game anyway. Both are great for kids I'm sure. I'd vote JP will be more popular, but not necessarily a better game for YOU. Play both then decide.

#66 85 days ago

A guy that I co-operate locations with is getting a Wonka LE (which will be next to my TAF) & I'm getting a JP Pro to be next to my Deadpool Pro.

#67 85 days ago
Quoted from JY64:

LOL Stern hype dies because they are always moving on to the next game JJP hype dies because of the small but crazed customer base

No...
JJP hype dies because of lagging shipment after revel and because waiting for your game that you've paid for isn't fun or infectious of a feeling.

#68 85 days ago

Stern's 3rd pin of 2023 or JJP # 6?
HELP ME DECIDE AARGHHH

#69 85 days ago
Quoted from JY64:

You must be fucking kidding people have been calling Wonka the goat since before shipping

People call EVERY game that before shipping.

#70 85 days ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

No...
JJP hype dies because of lagging shipment after revel and because waiting for your game that you've paid for isn't fun or infectious of a feeling.

True,but hopefully a thing of the past.Wonka has started a new way of doing business for JJP!

#71 85 days ago
Quoted from JY64:

I like a smaller family. We are a tighter group.

#72 85 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I was sad when King Kong dies.

Funniest story about that. We were in line to see one of the remakes when my son was in school. I want to say 4th grade or so. We ran into one of his classmates in the line and were having general conversation and in passing one of us mentioned kong dying at the end. His friend looked crushed and stammered, "he DIES?" - completely rocked his world, pre-movie.

No one (including me) realized that someone wouldn't know what happened to kong since the movie had been around long before the remakes and was in the popular culture forever. Someone in our family will still randomly say "he DIES?" the same way he said it sometimes when an unexpected thing happens, and that was like 15 years ago...

#73 85 days ago

What is wrong with you? I don’t care what goofs say or you for that matter? Every single person is entitled to their opinion and if someone wants to call a game the goat before it shipped that is their opinion. You don’t have the right to decided what other people think you’re aren’t Stallin and this isn’t Russia. Furthermore my comments are in line with what you said just without the cursing words... I said clearly no one should say one game is better than the other without playing both. I can’t be more clear... I know you have a hard time reading whole paragraphs but either way hoping you can slow down and read what i said all the way thru.

NO ONE SHOULD compare two games that haven’t played, even with that being said people will and I’m not going to flip out about like you. Again this is America people are entitled to their own opinion despite your ridiculous wrath.

#74 85 days ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

What is wrong with you? I don’t care what goofs say or you for that matter? Every single person is entitled to their opinion and if someone wants to call a game the goat before it shipped that is their opinion. You don’t have the right to decided what other people think you’re aren’t Stallin and this isn’t Russia. Furthermore my comments are in line with what you said just without the cursing words... I said clearly no one should say one game is better than the other without playing both. I can’t be more clear... I know you have a hard time reading whole paragraphs but either way hoping you can slow down and read what i said all the way thru.
NO ONE SHOULD compare two games that haven’t played, even with that being said people will and I’m not going to flip out about like you. Again this is America people are entitled to their own opinion despite your ridiculous wrath.

But what happens when you know for sure that one has the worst sound/music and narrator package that you've seen in some time and a theme integration that looks like it's been put into a blender and spit out?

I guess JP could do the same exact thing since I haven't played it.

That would suck though.... well today is the day so let's see.

#75 85 days ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Why would someone ask this question when one of the two games isn't even released? This is a jump the gun type of moment.

Quoted from drfrightner:

What is wrong with you? I don’t care what goofs say or you for that matter? Every single person is entitled to their opinion and if someone wants to call a game the goat before it shipped

#76 85 days ago
Quoted from Coz:

The first post was meant to be a joke- and yes, the dolls in toy story were creepy like Rudy. I also have to really watch what my son with autism watches- he re-enacts everything, good and bad. He has a hard time differentiating movies/tv from real life.

No worries. I hear ya on whats out there in the movies/tv. Its hard these days. Just thought with the possible Toy Story
pin if it materializes something simple as Toy Story could have elements that scare kids. My son when he was young
was real uncomfortable when I had my Funhouse in the house.

#77 85 days ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

No worries. I hear ya on whats out there in the movies/tv. Its hard these days. Just thought with the possible Toy Story
pin if it materializes something simple as Toy Story could have elements that scare kids. My son when he was young
was real uncomfortable when I had my Funhouse in the house.

I was uncomfortable when the nuns put me in the (what we kids called the Frankenstein room overnight)
Kids are a lot tougher then we give them credit for.

#78 83 days ago

OP: did you ever come to a conclusion??

#79 83 days ago

These are 2 very desirable themes IMO
I’ll say Wonka, as it’s a timeless children’s book and beloved film
Having said that, I’ve bought both as LE’s
Now I have to work out how to fund the JPLE!

#80 82 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I was uncomfortable when the nuns put me in the (what we kids called the Frankenstein room overnight)
Kids are a lot tougher then we give them credit for.

Our nuns used to put us in the “dark room” until they thought we’d behave. It’s a wonder we can sleep with the lights off!

#81 82 days ago

Jurassic Park. I wish JJP luck but they have a history of quality issues at a huge price premium. Wouldn't mind having a Wonka because I like the theme but I am confident it will be a pain to keep running. Stern's are always plug and play.

#82 82 days ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Jurassic Park. I wish JJP luck but they have a history of quality issues at a huge price premium. Wouldn't mind having a Wonka because I like the theme but I am confident it will be a pain to keep running. Stern's are always plug and play.

Not sure if you know this but Stern has major quality issues.

#83 82 days ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

LOL!

#84 82 days ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

This is not true. Stern can have quality issues and I have 2 JJP pins that have no issues whatsoever.

Also huge price difference on LE is what $8700 vs $9500 that’s 10% premium.

#85 82 days ago
Quoted from rai:

This is not true. Stern can have quality issues and I have 2 JJP pins that have no issues whatsoever.

Totally agree with this my earlier comment was referring to fatdirk bullshit statement.

#86 82 days ago

I played a lot of Wonka last week. WANTED to be impressed so badly. But it's just not amazing. It's solid, but like Dialed In, there just isn't much excitement in the voices. It feels EXACTLY the same as DI. Layout differs, but I might as well be playing DI.

JJP POTC was right next to it and it's superior in every (gameplay) way. If they fixed some issues and started making it again I'd consider it.

Stern JP looks pretty damn good. Like Iron Maiden fun but with toys. Can't wait to try it.

#87 82 days ago

I put 10 games on Wonka today, I also left bored and unimpressed. Not a fan of the code and the video clip / sync issue bothers me. Definitely a drain monster. I feel Dialed in shoots better but I prefer the Wonka theme. Just like Dialed In the the light show is awesome!

#88 82 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

Just trolling it’s always the usual suspects.For some reason Stern fans feel the need to slam JJP every time they have an opportunity. What a waste!

I Don’t understand this because Stern had issues like ghosting and cabinet splitting, let’s not forget decals that don’t you know actually stick to the cabinet.

I love all pinball have one Spooky, one CGC, Stern and JJP they’re all great.

#89 82 days ago
Quoted from rai:

I Don’t understand this because Stern had issues like ghosting and cabinet splitting, let’s not forget decals that don’t you know actually stick to the cabinet.
I love all pinball have one Spooky, one CGC, Stern and JJP they’re all great.

My comment was directed to fatdirk who regularly trolls JJP threads,along with JY64

#90 82 days ago

Have to go Wonka. Was alot of fun and definitely is a bit challenging. The theme/flow/depth are great.

#91 82 days ago

Unfortunately I haven’t played them so I can’t recommend either of them.

#92 82 days ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Not sure if you know this but Stern has major quality issues.

I disagree. I've had only very minor issues which have always been resolved quickly. Had a woz I was afraid to route due to shitty light boards also had a dialed in that had a host of issues out of the box. I've also seen all the threads here on the major QC issues for POTC.
The guy was asking for a recommendation and Jurassic Park will be the most fun at the best value.

5700 vs 7900 shipped is a huge price difference.

#93 82 days ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I disagree. I've had only very minor issues which have always been resolved quickly. Had a woz I was afraid to route due to shitty light boards also had a dialed in that had a host of issues out of the box. I've also seen all the threads here on the major QC issues for POTC.
The guy was asking for a recommendation and Jurassic Park will be the most fun at the best value.
5700 vs 7900 shipped is a huge price difference.

Well you got lucky then. I know a few guys that wanted a full refund based on issues. One got the refund and the other waited 6 months to get resolved. I have had many Sterns so I’m not just blowing smoke here. I’m not saying Stern is the only company with issues. I’m saying no one can exclude them from being perfect. That’s funny as shit.

#94 82 days ago

I just can't wait to plop quarters in, both.

#95 82 days ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

Seems like every comment you make about JJP is negative. The WOZ light board issue occured 6 years ago...it was JJP's first game. The issue was resolved 5+ years ago. A local operator here bought one of the first WOZ's. JJP replaced all boards free of charge and the boards never had another issue. Time to move on.

Of course there's less likelihood of stuff breaking on a Stern pro when barely anything moves! At some point though ya have to ask yourself what you are paying $6k for...Great for operators I suppose but a lot of home buyers demand more. Also, Wonka SE has been designed for on location play. It seems like a very reliable pin. If you are going to compare Wonka SE to JP then compare it to the premium version. There's not much price difference there. Also, it doesn't cost $400 to ship a JJP pin. I've paid $100 shipping a couple times.

Remember all of those Stern cabinets splitting? How about decals falling off? What about the orbit issue on GOT that Stern never addressed? How about Ghostbusters LE playfield issues? Slimer mechs breaking on early GB pro's? Broken welds on DP scoops? Broken bobble heads on DP? Stern has had their fair share of quality issues as well.

#96 82 days ago
Quoted from rai:

LE is what $8700 vs $9500 that’s 10% premium.

Stern LE games are 600 or 700 units JJP LE 5000 units

#97 82 days ago

See what I said,these 2 guys don’t give up.I could respect this if Stern was paying them!

#98 82 days ago
Quoted from rai:

You say you have 2 JJP pins no issues but fattdirk may have had 2 Stern pins no issues 1 JJP with issues so do not fully dismiss his comment your experience and his may differ

#99 82 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

See what I said,these 2 guys don’t give up.I could respect this if Stern was paying them!

LOL pot calling the kettle black

#100 82 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I can’t see what one of them is saying since I put them on ignore. So it looks kinda like you’re talking to yourself

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 305 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside