You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

547CB4AD-F00F-4B96-93B7-E66D48C721A6 (resized).jpeg
896B7ED6-3B98-4552-8260-6CE7D2B46986 (resized).jpeg
22592903-391C-4046-A017-6238C92350A2 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

Hi All! Has anybody else had problems with the opto board for the jeep? I just got a new opto board in for my jeep (part number 520-8102-00). I put it in and the game started working correctly, but only lasted about 5 games and now it seems this board is dead also. I am at wit's end. I ordered two, so I have a new one standing by, but I don't want to put it in and wreck that one also if it is a power problem or something of the sorts. This is now the third opto board I have gone through, and to say this is frustrating would be an understatement. How would I go about trouble shooting something like this? Any help would be awesome!!

#2 2 years ago

Measure voltage to it. See if it's too high, see if that is blowing them up.

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Measure voltage to it. See if it's too high, see if that is blowing them up.
LTG : )

I am getting 4.5 VDC into the opto board, but I can't find out what that voltage is supposed to be. I can't find that value in the manual.

Could I have just gotten a bad board and I should try my last good one?

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from catchlight:

I am getting 4.5 VDC into the opto board, but I can't find out what that voltage is supposed to be. I can't find that value in the manual.
Could I have just gotten a bad board and I should try my last good one?

Looks like you’re good there

22592903-391C-4046-A017-6238C92350A2 (resized).jpeg22592903-391C-4046-A017-6238C92350A2 (resized).jpeg
#5 2 years ago

Tell us what specific symptom you are seeing and what else you have done to troubleshoot. Applying power and testing on the board seems to be done. 4.5v is a little low, but probably within limits. Surely not OVER the amount expected so you are not 'blowing out' the board. Are you saying with the board installed, you are no longer getting the state change while in settings/test when you rotate the interrupter by hand?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Tell us what specific symptom you are seeing and what else you have done to troubleshoot. Applying power and testing on the board seems to be done. 4.5v is a little low, but probably within limits. Surely not OVER the amount expected so you are not 'blowing out' the board. Are you saying with the board installed, you are no longer getting the state change while in settings/test when you rotate the interrupter by hand?

Yes, that is correct. I installed the new one yesterday and performed the switch test and it work perfectly. It took me 6 weeks to get one, so I ordered two. I cleaned the playfield, closed her up and played about 5 games and I noticed it was not working anymore. I ran the switch test again, and I does not "make" the switch on either side. That is about all I have done for trouble shooting. Thanks guys for the help! Any suggestions?

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Looks like you’re good there
[quoted image]

Thanks for that! I couldnt find that in my manual. I must have missed it.

#8 2 years ago

OK, like an idiot, I put that last good opto board in and I watched it closely this time. It worked through the first T-Rex mode, then quit working again. I think that might be a clue to the issues I am having. I must be getting too much power (over volting or over amping) when its in T-Rex mode or when it goes in to T-Rex mode if that makes any sense. It's past my warranty period and I don't think anyone around here (Southern Minnesota) can trouble shoot this. Will stern tech support help with this if it is out of warranty. My distributer is in California so I don't think I will get much help there.

#9 2 years ago

Have you tried reseating the cable where it plugs into the opto and reseating it where it plugs into node board 9? That was my problem. I have had it stop working maybe 5 or 6 times and I keep having to reseat at node board 9, must be a loose connection there in mine. Seems to happen about once every other month.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Have you tried reseating the cable where it plugs into the opto and reseating it where it plugs into node board 9? That was my problem. I have had it stop working maybe 5 or 6 times and I keep having to reseat at node board 9, must be a loose connection there in mine. Seems to happen about once every other month.

I am going to try that now, Is the node 9 board under the playfield or behind back glass? Thanks!

#11 2 years ago

It should be under the playfield towards the back, or bottom when the playfield is up in the service position. I think it’s the board labeled number 1 in this image.

896B7ED6-3B98-4552-8260-6CE7D2B46986 (resized).jpeg896B7ED6-3B98-4552-8260-6CE7D2B46986 (resized).jpeg
#12 2 years ago
Quoted from catchlight:

I am going to try that now, Is the node 9 board under the playfield or behind back glass? Thanks!

PinNerd is correct

547CB4AD-F00F-4B96-93B7-E66D48C721A6 (resized).jpeg547CB4AD-F00F-4B96-93B7-E66D48C721A6 (resized).jpeg
#13 2 years ago

I found Node 9. I unseated the cable (CN9) and reseated. Nothing. I also wiggled both ends of the cable as I moved the jeep from side to side to activate opto. Nothing. I also ran a continuity test on the cable itself and it checked out. I.am.without.hope. LOL I wished I knew how to check and see if the opto board was indeed "blown". I have, what I think, is 3 bad ones now. I have no tech alerts and the node check turns up nothing in the menu.

#14 2 years ago

I’m not really familiar with this game, but you said that it seems to fail when in T rex mode. Have you metered out the voltage to the board you keep replacing after triggering that mode to see if it spikes from the 4.5 you measured?

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

I’m not really familiar with this game, but you said that it seems to fail when in T rex mode. Have you metered out the voltage to the board you keep replacing after triggering that mode to see if it spikes from the 4.5 you measured?

No, I have not. I dont have a good opto board now, so I don't even think I can get into T Rex mode without a good one to test that unfortunately. Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Keep them coming please

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from catchlight:

No, I have not. I dont have a good opto board now, so I don't even think I can get into T Rex mode without a good one to test that unfortunately. Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Keep them coming please

I am curious what makes you think the boards are 'blown'. What test or observation have you done that leads you to that conclusion?

Try this first test if you are able: With payfield raised, test power is being applied to the board with a 5V supply. Pins 1 & 4 as shown in Post 4 above. Then while game is still powered and using a multi-meter set on 20Volts DC, test between GROUND and Opt1 pin and repeat the test for OPT2 pin. For each opto test, as you block the slot, you'll see the voltage swings from low to high.

Second test, remove the connector from the opto board and attach your multimeter to pin 1&4 of the connector. Do so so that you can see the meter through the open coindoor during game play and confirm that the voltage stays at 4.5-5.0 volts. Make the Trex sequence you suspect happen and watch the voltage while it is happening. If you ever see a spike of near 24VDC, then you are indeed blowing out the board and will find the problem in a wiring problem, likely being crushed or pierced insulation somewhere.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

I am curious what makes you think the boards are 'blown'. What test or observation have you done that leads you to that conclusion?
Try this first test if you are able: With payfield raised, test power is being applied to the board with a 5V supply. Pins 1 & 4 as shown in Post 4 above. Then while game is still powered and using a multi-meter set on 20Volts DC, test between GROUND and Opt1 pin and repeat the test for OPT2 pin. For each opto test, as you block the slot, you'll see the voltage swings from low to high.
Second test, remove the connector from the opto board and attach your multimeter to pin 1&4 of the connector. Do so so that you can see the meter through the open coindoor during game play and confirm that the voltage stays at 4.5-5.0 volts. Make the Trex sequence you suspect happen and watch the voltage while it is happening. If you ever see a spike of near 24VDC, then you are indeed blowing out the board and will find the problem in a wiring problem, likely being crushed or pierced insulation somewhere.

Thank you, I will try this soon. I appreciate you taking the time for such a detailed troubleshoot. I dont think I can replicate a trex mode without a working board however but I will get on this soon. Thanks Mark!

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from catchlight:

Thank you, I will try this soon. I appreciate you taking the time for such a detailed troubleshoot. I dont think I can replicate a trex mode without a working board however but I will get on this soon. Thanks Mark!

Use the TESTS in Settings to create TREX motion and movement.

7 months later
#19 2 years ago

Good morning, Just looking at posts concerning problems with the Truck Opto.... My problem is the left opto is registering but the right is not when I spin the truck .... any findings or fixes from this posting?

2 years later
#20 11 days ago

I’ve been having issues with mine as well.. it doesn’t activate when hit (sometimes it does actually) but then goes off randomly and it’ll give you a t-Rex letter. About to buy a new opto and switch it out to see if I get different results.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 51.45
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 16.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richmond, VA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-jeep-newton-ball-help-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.