(Topic ID: 324084)

Stern Jurassic Park - Are rules intuitive for casuals?

By Doc_VanNostrand

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

puke-sick.gif
    1006221759f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider parkshow30.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 1 year ago

I have a JP and love it, but I don’t think the rules are intuitive to casual players. Not having a central bash toy that starts multiball everytime or a straightforward way to start modes the same way each time makes it harder for casual people to comprehend. Try telling them how to get to Chaos multiball or start a control room mode and they are going to have trouble. Plus I think Kieths multiball rules are harder than a lot of other games where pretty much every shot is lit for a jackpot. I like the intricacies of it but others not so much.
    I recently added Guardians to our game room and I’ve had several people over since and they all hands down think Guardians is more fun. It’s super easy to understand how to start a mode (you start off the plunge in one) and everyone instantly gets how to start Groot or Orb multiball. The start of Groot multiball with his mouth moving to the speech and the balls flying out really entertains them. The orb magnet is also a great surprise for them that they like.

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

My two cents...
    We used to live in a 1800 s.f. split level. There was room for six pins in that house, and so that's how many we put in there. I have a hard time imagining any house in the US that can literally fit only a single pin.
    I will admit, one of the easiest ways to fend off the specter of boredom is to have more pins. But if you really truly can only have one, I still don't think you need to worry nearly as much as people are trying to tell you that you should.

This is what I was thinking. Even in a small apartment I can’t imagine there really only being room for 1 pin, if there is room for 1 there is room for a second unless it’s going in a literal closet.
    What I would worry about only having 1 isn’t so much the boredom, you could always trade every 6 months to a year for a different one, but real pins break, New or old, something will break. When you only have 1 pin and it breaks and you are waiting for parts or diagnosing the issues now you don’t have anything to play. You could get lucky and it’s an easy fix and you are back to playing in a day or a week, or it could be a node board failure that’s out of stock and now you have 6 months with a broken pin just sitting there.
    I wouldn’t worry about what game to get, if you get a game and it’s awesome and you love it, keep it. If you aren’t sure or you don’t like it as much as you thought, put it up for a trade and someone will trade with you. I’ve traded twice with people on this forum and have had a great experience each time.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doc_VanNostrand:

Really good point regarding parts breaking. I am actually fairly mechanically inclined and love learning how to fix things. I find it rewarding. I understand waiting for parts may be a concern though...
    Regarding the above, I can probably fit 50 pins in my basement if I get rid of the home theatre, putting green, pool table, bar, gym, arcade games, and play space for the kids. But, those are all things that my whole family enjoys. I like to keep everything in its own little section, so the pinball machine is going at the end of the row of arcade games. Because of the shape of the space, one is totally fine... two or more would just make the space much tighter than I prefer. The arcade section is a small "nook" (I hate that word but don't know how else to describe it) in the back of the space. Even if I removed an arcade game or two and replaced then with pins, it would just be an awkward layout. Hard to explain. So, this "one machine" thing is sort of a self imposed limitation. And yes, I will stick to it. My OCD about spacing and layout is insane.

Yeah not much you can do if they don’t have the parts or it takes awhile. My opto board on my JP pro went bad a few months after getting the game NIB and I just had to wait for Stern to ship me a new one.
    I completely understand and respect not having the room because you have other things you enjoy more. Some guys on here are only happy with gamerooms that are wall to wall with pinball machines. They will tell you to get rid of the TV or a couch just to fit in more.
    I’m “out of room” at 7, but if I got rid of my skee ball beverage cooler and TV I’d have room for 9, if I got rid of my couch stools and pub table I’d have room for 12, if I got rid of my air hockey, pop a shot and multicade I’d have room for 20, if I got rid of my kids play diner area room for 22, get rid of the gym storage and work area and now I could have 30.
    As is I’m happy with 7 at home and playing the rest on locations, in time I might end up with more or less who knows.
    It sounds like you have a great entertainment area, enjoy it, don’t stress too much over which pin to get and have fun!
    Oh, and share some pictures of your setup! I’d love to see the putting green, I’d like to get my dad one for his basement.

#35 1 year ago

That’s hilarious, thanks for sharing!
    Me and my daughter who was 7 at the time made trick shot videos on her toy hoop in our backyard as well during the pandemic, pretty sure we used the same hoop. The best one was me going down her kids rollercoaster and making the shot, she was filming and accidentally filmed in slow motion.
    I will take a look at Big Moss thanks.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doc_VanNostrand:

Love it. The one I have is called the Commander. It’s actually made for indoor and outdoor use. Very durable and you can actually hit little chip shots and spin the ball on it.
    Sounds like you have an awesome pin collection. Do you find that family and friends who otherwise would not be into pinball have become interested? As I said in one of my first posts, I occasionally have friends and family on the virtual pin, but nobody has gotten “hooked”. I would love it if the real machine gave more people the pinball bug….

No one has gotten into it to the point they buy their own, but most enjoy playing when they come here. Several would like to but The price of a new pin and the maintenance of an older pin scares them off.
    My wife plays a few times a week but won’t play the same game as me because I take too long.
    My younger daughter at 5 almost 6 rarely plays but has enjoyed Guardians more than the others.
    My older daughter at 9 plays more than my wife but less than me and was interested in playing in a kids tournament right before Covid.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider parkshow30.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-are-rules-intuitive-for-casuals?tu=parkshow30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.