(Topic ID: 324084)

Stern Jurassic Park - Are rules intuitive for casuals?

By Doc_VanNostrand

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 months ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

puke-sick.gif
    1006221759f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 1 year ago

OP is definitely in a tough spot. My thoughts:

I walked up to a Rush Pro on location about a month ago. I had no idea what shots to shoot to start multiball. I just shot flashing shots and read the LCD. That being said, I still really didn't purposefully START MB; it kind of "just happened" on its own. When that happens in a game - when I start MB without really even trying - I lose interest pretty quickly. I like a game that I have to REALLY earn that MB. Maybe I just made shots and got lucky - I dunno. Just seemed like every 4 shots or so, another MB!!!!!!

AFM, to me, is that perfect balance of fun:

You have the "bash toy in middle" that makes new players feel accomplished.

The MBs require some work: main one requires the 4 shots in the inner left orbital, Martian MB requires you to nail all 4 bobbing martians, Strobe requires you to progress through SOL to get it selected, and Total Annihilation requires all 4 main shots to be completed at least 3 times each. Some more simple than others.

The wizard mode is not impossible but not a gimmie either. If you're dialed into your shots and know the 6 objectives, it IS doable.

There's enough gimmicks on the PF to keep people interested and entertained.

The Monty Python/Mars Attacks humor and vibe blend very well with some excellent call outs.

These reasons and others I'm sure I missed are why it remains in the top 5 games here while other new "oooo shiney" games come and go. Only IMDN, JP and Godzilla are new games that have threatened it. Oh look, 3 out of 3 of those games are from Keith Elwin. Wonder why? Because his games challenge those wanting to go deeper. His games go outside the box of traditional pinball playing.

JP is a great example: no "skill shot" inlanes up top or traditional inlane multiplers. Critical shots go through TIGHT areas like the left ramp through the pop bumpers on IMDN or the Smart Missle target on JP, and that the Jeep HAS to face left for you to get the Smart Missile, so that shot is ALWAYS going to be an insanely tight shot, but oh, SO rewarding when you hit it. All MBs require SOME effort with T-Rex being the easiest one by a mile to achieve. Outside of T-Rex, you have EARNED that MB. Getting to Dinosaurs Rule the Earth means you have truly conquered the game with Control Room needing to be complete, part of which requires you to hit the Tower...what...15 times? These are some pretty tall orders, and don't even get me started on AIQ. I feel like that is the pinball version of War and Peace when I walk up to it.

Lots of me blowing hot air here, so what am I saying? If you want a fun game everyone can enjoy, get MB, AFM, or MM. There's a reason WHY CGC chose to remake "the big 3" first guaranteed profit as the demand was insane and STILL is - having driven up the cost of originals and even the remakes go for more now. Cactus Canyon seems "up in the air" still. The first 3 were a slam dunk, guaranteed revenue churner. CC, jury is still out for me on that one.

I'd honestly say a Keith Elwin game isn't going to have the staying "family fun" power. His games are absolutely geared towards the intermediate to advanced players. You'll be playing "coach" to help the rest of the family get into it, which can be fun in and of itself. Just be ready to be playing alone or with other more experienced pinball players if you go with a KME game.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doc_VanNostrand:

Thank you. Very well written and makes total sense. I suppose I just wrote off the first 3 CGC remakes because of the price tags. With the CC remake, I told myself at least I'd be getting a new game. Of the 4 CGC games, I've played the original #AFM and #MM by far the most. #MB is beloved, but a tier below those two games in my opinion. I have no memory of ever seeing Cactus Canyon in person and have only ever played the virtual version. I don't think of pinball as an investment, but I definitely don't want to spend 12k on an AFM remake (and more for a MM remake) unless I am fairly certain it will at least maintain most its value over time. I haven't been following the market long enough to form an opinion on that... maybe 3 years or so. I suppose that is a topic for another thread...

*a bit over-the-top response coming in...having fun but also serious here. Easily butthurt folks, need not read*

When CGC remade MM, the originals were creeping up to $12K-$15K, and everyone here was freaked out they'll never have a MM to play cause the price was just too insane. Thankfully now - with a lot of help from the now infamous Banning Auction and everyone from ages 18 to 99 needing a pinball machine - the remakes are going for $12K-$19K - so thankfully, the remakes helped bring prices up : ). An original MM now goes for about $11K to $16K per the archive market listings here.

Same with AFM. I bought mine in 2016 for $8250, with a fuck-load of upgrades (ColorDMD, red ramps, Pinbits strobe light kit, maritan eyes, runway lights, miniature saucer LEDs, etc.) - one year before the remakes came out. Remakes were around $6200 to $8500 depending on tier. Now, the classic remake goes for somewhere in the $9000 range with the LE going for about $12K-$14K. Really glad they re-made the game and brought those prices back down! Originals go for about $8K - $10K now.

I didn't track MBR vs original prices, but you can see the trend. You aren't going to lose money. Hell, I bought a Shadow for $4250 and sold it for $7000 almost 1.5 years later. Bought a CFTBL for $5300 in 2017 and sold it for $8000 this year. Am I bragging - yes and no - I'm telling you, you aren't going to lose your shirt buying a game and selling it years later - especially the B/W class of 92 to 98. Look at Addams Family...$10K PLUS for one now? I bought that in 2016 for $5500.

Buy the game you want and don't worry - unless a global depression hits - you will be A-ok with your purchase. If a global depression hits, you got lots more to worry about than a pinball machine's value.

#31 1 year ago

Regarding the above, I can probably fit 50 pins in my basement if I get rid of the home theatre, putting green, pool table, bar, gym, arcade games, and play space for the kids. But, those are all things that my whole family enjoys. I like to keep everything in its own little section, so the pinball machine is going at the end of the row of arcade games.

More and more, I hear Michael Douglas' rant about "listening to his mother" and "being a cosmetic surgeon making $500K a year, up to his neck in T&A" during the jungle chase scene in Romancing the Stone. A fucking putting green in a basement while my pins are in my living room. I can't help but laugh and whimper at the same time.

Poking fun with you, OP, and at myself. Nothing personal ; ).

#49 1 year ago

Yes, I actually put myself on a list a couple of months ago! Not sure if I have the patience to wait though. That feels like a 2024 release at this point....

If that is the case, buy one off the used market from a trusted Pinsider. By the time you wait until 2024, the price then will match the price you'll pay now. Get your game now and avoid a 1+ year wait for the same price.

World Cup Soccer would be my choice there. We're a big soccer family. I love the game and would love to have one. For now I'm limiting myself to one pin just due to the layout of my basement!!

Re-reading the thread, you obviously love JP, so here's your 2-pin collection (it'll happen, trust me, nearly no one goes 1-pin):

1. To satisfy the JP itch and intermediate to advanced players: JP
    2. For family fun players/button mashers: AFM or WCS

That's it in a nutshell : ) !

6 months later
    #56 12 months ago
    Quoted from Jbond007:

For me it’s two choices.
    SW (prem), everyone loves stars wars and an awesome game. Newbies will flock, deep rules for you and I.
    JP (prem), who doesn’t loves dinosaurs? Newbies will flock, deep rules for you and I.

For me it's one: JP.

SW.... ugh....outside of the original 3 from the 70s-80s, my initial reaction is below

puke-sick.gifpuke-sick.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider npo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-are-rules-intuitive-for-casuals?tu=npo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.