(Topic ID: 324084)

Stern Jurassic Park - Are rules intuitive for casuals?

By Doc_VanNostrand

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

puke-sick.gif
    1006221759f (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ExSquid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doc_VanNostrand:

Hi all,
    This'll be my first post here as I generally use Pinside for browsing and checking Marketplace, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong or am in the wrong place. I'm someone who has played plenty of pinball on location, but I've only ever owned a virtual pinball machine in my home. I have young kids and VERY casual friends and family who occasionally like to play a few arcade games/virtual pinball in my basement. The games that get play are simple ones like Attack From Mars, World Cup Soccer '94, etc. Nobody has the attention span to learn deep rules or listen to me explain rules to them. And since there are hundreds of choices on the v-pin, there's never any need for me to do that. They'd rather just play NBA Fastbreak or something easy to follow.
    Anyway, I'm selling the virtual pinball to partly fund the purchase of a real machine, and I want a Jurassic Park premium. I've played the game plenty and love it.
    Does anyone here have experience sharing this game with casual friends and family? Have they been able to pick up on the rules easily? Is it a game that "beginners" or "casual" players should steer clear of? For what it's worth, it's either Jurassic Park Premium or the Cactus Canyon remake (which I know would be okay for casuals, but it's my second choice).
    I've played JP on location, I understand the rules, and I love it. But I'm having a hard time figuring out if this game is intuitive enough for casual players. Let me know if this makes sense.
    Edit: I plan on being a single pin owner (I know, almost impossible). But, I only have space for one machine. Even on the v-pin, I would pick one table and play it for 10 months straight without loading up anything else. I have no problem playing the same game over and over again and trying to master it. I'd also welcome suggestions for a "single pin home with casual players" outside of those two games.

I have a GOTG and Godzilla premium sitting next to Monster Bash, guess what gets played most? MB! That's because like you said "casuals" gravitate towards it when they come over because its very easy to understand and a lot of fun for them because they can actually " complete things" without having to ask me anything. Its pretty straight forward. Plus everyone loves the Universal Monsters!

#17 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doc_VanNostrand:

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I guess it's not such an easy task to find the "perfect" game when you only have room for one machine. On one hand, you want it to be deep enough that it doesn't get old quickly, but not complicated enough to deter others from playing. I'll have to add a few more games to my list before making a final decision. The problem with that is I research each game for weeks/months, including playing them on location, watching Youtube tutorials, reading threads, etc. This might take a while!
    Theme is important to me since I want this to be the centerpiece of my basement. Will take a deeper look at the following:
    -Stern TMNT (my favorite IP growing up, and my kids love it... but I've actually never played the game)
    -Ghostbusters (love the theme, but I found the game hard for some reason)
    -GOTG (game is excellent, but I cannot stand Marvel.... I know, throw tomatoes at me)
    -Stranger Things (haven't tried this one, but it looks awesome. my wife hates the show so might not work)
    -AFM/MM/MB/WCS94 (love all of these but not sure how long they last in a single game collection)
    -Fish Tales/Indy 500 (I have a nostalgic love for these two games that is hard to explain)
    -CFTBL (my favorite game of all time, but I feel like the hologram can be a PITA - never really considered buying this game)
    Back to the drawing board!

Nah, you're overthinking it man, Just get JP you'll love it and so will everyone else.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ExSquid.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-are-rules-intuitive-for-casuals?tu=ExSquid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.