(Topic ID: 324084)

Stern Jurassic Park - Are rules intuitive for casuals?

By Doc_VanNostrand

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 56 posts
  • 22 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

puke-sick.gif
    1006221759f (resized).jpg
    There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 1 year ago

Hi all,

This'll be my first post here as I generally use Pinside for browsing and checking Marketplace, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong or am in the wrong place. I'm someone who has played plenty of pinball on location, but I've only ever owned a virtual pinball machine in my home. I have young kids and VERY casual friends and family who occasionally like to play a few arcade games/virtual pinball in my basement. The games that get play are simple ones like Attack From Mars, World Cup Soccer '94, etc. Nobody has the attention span to learn deep rules or listen to me explain rules to them. And since there are hundreds of choices on the v-pin, there's never any need for me to do that. They'd rather just play NBA Fastbreak or something easy to follow.

Anyway, I'm selling the virtual pinball to partly fund the purchase of a real machine, and I want a Jurassic Park premium. I've played the game plenty and love it.
    Does anyone here have experience sharing this game with casual friends and family? Have they been able to pick up on the rules easily? Is it a game that "beginners" or "casual" players should steer clear of? For what it's worth, it's either Jurassic Park Premium or the Cactus Canyon remake (which I know would be okay for casuals, but it's my second choice).

I've played JP on location, I understand the rules, and I love it. But I'm having a hard time figuring out if this game is intuitive enough for casual players. Let me know if this makes sense.

Edit: I plan on being a single pin owner (I know, almost impossible). But, I only have space for one machine. Even on the v-pin, I would pick one table and play it for 10 months straight without loading up anything else. I have no problem playing the same game over and over again and trying to master it. I'd also welcome suggestions for a "single pin home with casual players" outside of those two games.

#2 1 year ago

Save people, set traps, capture dino. Repeat.

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Save people, set traps, capture dino. Repeat.

^^exactly^^ the theme and these simplified goals should work for a casual player. My concern would be the fact the JP can just be a drain monster for a casual player

BTW, great decision on your first pin, hope you get it.

#4 1 year ago

Thank you. It's definitely the game that I want. 95% of the time, I am playing by myself. However, the 5% of time spent playing with friends and family means way more to me. I've been collecting arcade games for years. The ones that stay are the ones that other people love. I know everyone will love the theme and the shots. I think I am going to close my eyes and do it.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from tilt-master:

JP can just be a drain monster for a casual player

yeah, this. new players are gonna want to shoot that ramp to try to hit the dinosaur and end up draining a lot

#6 1 year ago

We don't mind quick games. Actually prefer them. My "circle" tends to gravitate towards a game with a central target (bash toy, soccer goal, etc). But Jurassic Park is just a gorgeous game (I mean playfield, don't love the side art/back glass) in my opinion. I feel like I want to buy it to play it but also just stare at it, take care of it, clean it, etc. Haven't ever felt that way about any other game. Jurassic Park is my favorite movie of all time, so maybe that's it.

#7 1 year ago

JP is not the game for you. get the CC. It's far more accessible and the shots are way easier. JP is built and coded to be deep, difficult and rewarding. some shots are super-tight, and some are just downright mean (smart missile). when casual players come over here, they play Beatles, ST and Simpsons primarily.
    I guess the TRex scares them!
    you are smart to ask around.
    good luck with your decision, both are great games.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doc_VanNostrand:

Hi all,
    This'll be my first post here as I generally use Pinside for browsing and checking Marketplace, so I'm sorry if I'm doing this wrong or am in the wrong place. I'm someone who has played plenty of pinball on location, but I've only ever owned a virtual pinball machine in my home. I have young kids and VERY casual friends and family who occasionally like to play a few arcade games/virtual pinball in my basement. The games that get play are simple ones like Attack From Mars, World Cup Soccer '94, etc. Nobody has the attention span to learn deep rules or listen to me explain rules to them. And since there are hundreds of choices on the v-pin, there's never any need for me to do that. They'd rather just play NBA Fastbreak or something easy to follow.
    Anyway, I'm selling the virtual pinball to partly fund the purchase of a real machine, and I want a Jurassic Park premium. I've played the game plenty and love it.
    Does anyone here have experience sharing this game with casual friends and family? Have they been able to pick up on the rules easily? Is it a game that "beginners" or "casual" players should steer clear of? For what it's worth, it's either Jurassic Park Premium or the Cactus Canyon remake (which I know would be okay for casuals, but it's my second choice).
    I've played JP on location, I understand the rules, and I love it. But I'm having a hard time figuring out if this game is intuitive enough for casual players. Let me know if this makes sense.
    Edit: I plan on being a single pin owner (I know, almost impossible). But, I only have space for one machine. Even on the v-pin, I would pick one table and play it for 10 months straight without loading up anything else. I have no problem playing the same game over and over again and trying to master it. I'd also welcome suggestions for a "single pin home with casual players" outside of those two games.

I have a GOTG and Godzilla premium sitting next to Monster Bash, guess what gets played most? MB! That's because like you said "casuals" gravitate towards it when they come over because its very easy to understand and a lot of fun for them because they can actually " complete things" without having to ask me anything. Its pretty straight forward. Plus everyone loves the Universal Monsters!

#9 1 year ago

The only solution is to get >1 machine!

#10 1 year ago

everything's fairly intuitive except for knowing how to qualify the control room modes.

#11 1 year ago

Thanks for everyone’s input. I find the comments about what games your guests play to be extremely helpful. In all honesty, keeping the v-pin would probably keep everyone happy, but I am not as enamored with it as others are. To me, it’s fun, but it is not comparable to the real thing.

I’d ask what others have done in this situation, but I feel like there are just about zero people on this website who have only one game.

I suppose I could always trade/sell a game if it wasn’t working out, so maybe I should stop stressing out about this.

#12 1 year ago

I have JP Premium and whenever someone new plays it, I try to explain the rules while they're playing but it's overwhelming and I just end up saying "just shoot the blinking lights."

#13 1 year ago

I have a JP and love it, but I don’t think the rules are intuitive to casual players. Not having a central bash toy that starts multiball everytime or a straightforward way to start modes the same way each time makes it harder for casual people to comprehend. Try telling them how to get to Chaos multiball or start a control room mode and they are going to have trouble. Plus I think Kieths multiball rules are harder than a lot of other games where pretty much every shot is lit for a jackpot. I like the intricacies of it but others not so much.
    I recently added Guardians to our game room and I’ve had several people over since and they all hands down think Guardians is more fun. It’s super easy to understand how to start a mode (you start off the plunge in one) and everyone instantly gets how to start Groot or Orb multiball. The start of Groot multiball with his mouth moving to the speech and the balls flying out really entertains them. The orb magnet is also a great surprise for them that they like.

#14 1 year ago

The rules are pretty intuitive, but the action and shots will MORE than keep casual players coming back.

#15 1 year ago

I have JP prem also. Dino is cool for newbs but the shots are hard. Would be awesome as a 1 quiver pin to work on your skills though. No doubt about it.

Deadpool is pretty fun for everyone but if you want simple rules and an awesome bash toy… Stranger Things is your answer.

#16 1 year ago

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I guess it's not such an easy task to find the "perfect" game when you only have room for one machine. On one hand, you want it to be deep enough that it doesn't get old quickly, but not complicated enough to deter others from playing. I'll have to add a few more games to my list before making a final decision. The problem with that is I research each game for weeks/months, including playing them on location, watching Youtube tutorials, reading threads, etc. This might take a while!

Theme is important to me since I want this to be the centerpiece of my basement. Will take a deeper look at the following:

-Stern TMNT (my favorite IP growing up, and my kids love it... but I've actually never played the game)
    -Ghostbusters (love the theme, but I found the game hard for some reason)
    -GOTG (game is excellent, but I cannot stand Marvel.... I know, throw tomatoes at me)
    -Stranger Things (haven't tried this one, but it looks awesome. my wife hates the show so might not work)
    -AFM/MM/MB/WCS94 (love all of these but not sure how long they last in a single game collection)
    -Fish Tales/Indy 500 (I have a nostalgic love for these two games that is hard to explain)
    -#CFTBL (my favorite game of all time, but I feel like the hologram can be a PITA - never really considered buying this game)

Back to the drawing board!

#17 1 year ago

Thanks again to everyone for the feedback. I guess it's not such an easy task to find the "perfect" game when you only have room for one machine. On one hand, you want it to be deep enough that it doesn't get old quickly, but not complicated enough to deter others from playing. I'll have to add a few more games to my list before making a final decision. The problem with that is I research each game for weeks/months, including playing them on location, watching Youtube tutorials, reading threads, etc. This might take a while!
    Theme is important to me since I want this to be the centerpiece of my basement. Will take a deeper look at the following:
    -Stern TMNT (my favorite IP growing up, and my kids love it... but I've actually never played the game)
    -GOTG (game is excellent, but I cannot stand Marvel.... I know, throw tomatoes at me)
    -Stranger Things (haven't tried this one, but it looks awesome. my wife hates the show so might not work)
    -AFM/MM/MB/WCS94 (love all of these but not sure how long they last in a single game collection)
    -Fish Tales/Indy 500 (I have a nostalgic love for these two games that is hard to explain)
    -CFTBL (my favorite game of all time, but I feel like the hologram can be a PITA - never really considered buying this game)

Nah, you're overthinking it man, Just get JP you'll love it and so will everyone else.

#18 1 year ago

-CFTBL (my favorite game of all time, but I feel like the hologram can be a PITA - never really considered buying this game)

You are in a tough spot because any pin that is intuitive for newbies will be a game that does get old quickly. The modern day rulesets are very confusing for any casual player. It is great for us Pinheads but walk up and shoot the game people in an arcade favor the older, more simple game. I had JP premium as my first game and I would say it is not straight forward to understand how to start modes or what to do. Most of the time people that come over just simply shoot the jeep. They think that is cool in itself. Plus, they have no chance at hitting really any of the shots and make the game last more than 20 seconds.

Here are my thoughts for newbs and players:

Deadpool- Good choice here for both to me. It is pretty straight forward, does well in an arcade setting so casuals do like it. You can put rubbers on the posts and move in to help some. Pretty easy to start a battle.

Cactus Canyon- We have this game and it also is fun for casuals. Not the best game for depth for a good player so problem of one pin household may have the same problem.

Monster Bash- Good game for both for me. It is really fun for casuals but it also has challenge for good players to bring in all monsters to Frank, etc.......

Stern Star Trek- Great shooter and shoot the blinking lights code from Lonnie. Would be a great game for both set of players. Select and mode and shoot shots.

I would stay far away from stern TMNT, it will eat your lunch. GOTG is a great game and I love it but for casual players it is another tough shooter.

#19 1 year ago

Thanks again everyone. I've spent more time researching pinball machines than I did picking out a house! Priorities...

#20 1 year ago

-#CFTBL (my favorite game of all time, but I feel like the hologram can be a PITA - never really considered buying this game)

My two cents...

We used to live in a 1800 s.f. split level. There was room for six pins in that house, and so that's how many we put in there. I have a hard time imagining any house in the US that can literally fit only a single pin.

I will admit, one of the easiest ways to fend off the specter of boredom is to have more pins. But if you really truly can only have one, I still don't think you need to worry nearly as much as people are trying to tell you that you should.

We bought our Medieval Madness in the late 90's. We still have it, and I still love playing it. Now that we live in a house with more room, I have been recently reintroduced to the world of pinball after many years of being distracted by other aspects of life, by purchasing a new Stern Rush. It is a completely different experience between MM and Rush, but they are both great.

I 100% disagree with the idea that games with simpler rule sets will inevitably become boring. Maybe for some people that's true, but it's not for me at all. My first pin I bought was High Speed, the simplest of all our pins and I still love playing it. It was my only pin for at least a year or two, and even then I didn't get bored playing it all the time.

I guess if a person gets good enough that they make every single shot 99% of the time, the only challenge left is to strategize the order of shots. But for me, I still struggle to make shots consistently, and a huge part of the fun of pinball is improving my skill. I've reached a bit of a plateau at the moment, with my skills still well below most hardcore pinball fans, one that will probably take some creative work to get past, but I still enjoy the effort. More to the point, the complexity of the rules is having absolutely nothing to do with how much fun I'm having.

You'll need to decide for yourself what makes playing pinball fun for you, but it is certainly far from a foregone conclusion that you must listen to people telling you that you're going to get bored just because the rules are "too simple". I would start by getting a machine you know you'll enjoy. Play it. Share it with friends. See how it goes. You can always sell/trade for a different one later, and by then you'll have more first-hand experience to be able to judge for yourself what the right approach to collecting pins is, even if you do have a collection of just one.

#21 1 year ago

I have mixed feelings about buying pins for others vs. myself. I buy pins that are only super kid friendly in theme.

I've had a Beatles and loved it, if I had a bigger collection (5-ish pins, I might pick one up again). That is a simple ruleset for people to follow.

OP, have you thought about an Iron Man? Bash toy, ramps, fun game.

I had a JP LE at my house for about 4 months, it got old how difficult it was. I realized I was not a good enough player at the time to really make progress in the game. I would have it again someday, but for me, I was ready to let it go. (It was a loaner I was shopping out for a friend)

One of the reasons we have multiple games is because some are easy, some are difficult. We aren't all the same skill level and all have different moods. I don't think there is one perfect game for everyone.

Rush Prem is the newest game in my home and I love the flow. The kiddos like it too. BM 66 is one that people gravitate towards with the moving crane. It is also a killer game.

With that being said, if you have spent time on JP and love it, get it. There is enough at the beginning of the game that a casual will have fun with and enough in it to keep you busy for years to come.

Let us know what you decide.

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

My two cents...
    We used to live in a 1800 s.f. split level. There was room for six pins in that house, and so that's how many we put in there. I have a hard time imagining any house in the US that can literally fit only a single pin.
    I will admit, one of the easiest ways to fend off the specter of boredom is to have more pins. But if you really truly can only have one, I still don't think you need to worry nearly as much as people are trying to tell you that you should.
    We bought our Medieval Madness in the late 90's. We still have it, and I still love playing it. Now that we live in a house with more room, I have been recently reintroduced to the world of pinball after many years of being distracted by other aspects of life, by purchasing a new Stern Rush. It is a completely different experience between MM and Rush, but they are both great.
    I 100% disagree with the idea that games with simpler rule sets will inevitably become boring. Maybe for some people that's true, but it's not for me at all. My first pin I bought was High Speed, the simplest of all our pins and I still love playing it. It was my only pin for at least a year or two, and even then I didn't get bored playing it all the time.
    I guess if a person gets good enough that they make every single shot 99% of the time, the only challenge left is to strategize the order of shots. But for me, I still struggle to make shots consistently, and a huge part of the fun of pinball is improving my skill. I've reached a bit of a plateau at the moment, with my skills still well below most hardcore pinball fans, one that will probably take some creative work to get past, but I still enjoy the effort. More to the point, the complexity of the rules is having absolutely nothing to do with how much fun I'm having.
    You'll need to decide for yourself what makes playing pinball fun for you, but it is certainly far from a foregone conclusion that you must listen to people telling you that you're going to get bored just because the rules are "too simple". I would start by getting a machine you know you'll enjoy. Play it. Share it with friends. See how it goes. You can always sell/trade for a different one later, and by then you'll have more first-hand experience to be able to judge for yourself what the right approach to collecting pins is, even if you do have a collection of just one.

Thanks for your input. I can relate to this. Here's a question... when you walk up to your games, which one do you find yourself starting up more often? Medieval Madness or Rush?

This got me thinking.... I have 7 arcade machines down in my basement. I find the ones that are actually played the most (by me and by guests) are the ones that are quick games (Out Run, Paperboy) vs. games that last longer (Track & Field, Big Buck Hunter).

Maybe I'm just a simpleton surrounded by simpletons, and I should just pick up a #WCS and be done with it!

#23 1 year ago
    Quoted from JustJared:

There is enough at the beginning of the game that a casual will have fun with and enough in it to keep you busy for years to come.

This particular line really stood out to me, and I think it's a great point. Nobody in my circle is making it to the Visitor's Center anyway, so focusing on the early game is more important. I have not checked out Iron Man, but I will take a look. Thanks!

#24 1 year ago

Thanks for your input. I can relate to this. Here's a question... when you walk up to your games, which one do you find yourself starting up more often? Medieval Madness or Rush?
    This got me thinking.... I have 7 arcade machines down in my basement. I find the ones that are actually played the most (by me and by guests) are the ones that are quick games (Out Run, Paperboy) vs. games that last longer (Track & Field, Big Buck Hunter).
    Maybe I'm just a simpleton surrounded by simpletons, and I should just pick up a #WCS and be done with it!

Right now, Rush for sure. It's a fabulous game, super fun to play, and I've only had it a couple of months so far. Still in the newlywed stage.

But I also play MM, and the others. They are far from being neglected (well, except maybe the Star Wars: Episode 1 ...it depresses me because I can't figure out how to get the green channel on the video to come back). MM is so much fun; it's funnier than Rush (and that's saying something...they did a great job with the callouts on Rush), the trolls are really fun toys, and it doesn't make my brain hurt as much.

I would guess Rush is going to get the lion's share of attention at least for the next several months. But even now the others aren't ignored, and I'm sure I will eventually get back to a more balanced arrangement. Well, until the next machine shows up.

#25 1 year ago

OP is definitely in a tough spot. My thoughts:

I walked up to a Rush Pro on location about a month ago. I had no idea what shots to shoot to start multiball. I just shot flashing shots and read the LCD. That being said, I still really didn't purposefully START MB; it kind of "just happened" on its own. When that happens in a game - when I start MB without really even trying - I lose interest pretty quickly. I like a game that I have to REALLY earn that MB. Maybe I just made shots and got lucky - I dunno. Just seemed like every 4 shots or so, another MB!!!!!!

AFM, to me, is that perfect balance of fun:

You have the "bash toy in middle" that makes new players feel accomplished.

The MBs require some work: main one requires the 4 shots in the inner left orbital, Martian MB requires you to nail all 4 bobbing martians, Strobe requires you to progress through SOL to get it selected, and Total Annihilation requires all 4 main shots to be completed at least 3 times each. Some more simple than others.

The wizard mode is not impossible but not a gimmie either. If you're dialed into your shots and know the 6 objectives, it IS doable.

There's enough gimmicks on the PF to keep people interested and entertained.

The Monty Python/Mars Attacks humor and vibe blend very well with some excellent call outs.

These reasons and others I'm sure I missed are why it remains in the top 5 games here while other new "oooo shiney" games come and go. Only IMDN, JP and Godzilla are new games that have threatened it. Oh look, 3 out of 3 of those games are from Keith Elwin. Wonder why? Because his games challenge those wanting to go deeper. His games go outside the box of traditional pinball playing.

JP is a great example: no "skill shot" inlanes up top or traditional inlane multiplers. Critical shots go through TIGHT areas like the left ramp through the pop bumpers on IMDN or the Smart Missle target on JP, and that the Jeep HAS to face left for you to get the Smart Missile, so that shot is ALWAYS going to be an insanely tight shot, but oh, SO rewarding when you hit it. All MBs require SOME effort with T-Rex being the easiest one by a mile to achieve. Outside of T-Rex, you have EARNED that MB. Getting to Dinosaurs Rule the Earth means you have truly conquered the game with Control Room needing to be complete, part of which requires you to hit the Tower...what...15 times? These are some pretty tall orders, and don't even get me started on AIQ. I feel like that is the pinball version of War and Peace when I walk up to it.

Lots of me blowing hot air here, so what am I saying? If you want a fun game everyone can enjoy, get MB, AFM, or MM. There's a reason WHY CGC chose to remake "the big 3" first guaranteed profit as the demand was insane and STILL is - having driven up the cost of originals and even the remakes go for more now. Cactus Canyon seems "up in the air" still. The first 3 were a slam dunk, guaranteed revenue churner. CC, jury is still out for me on that one.

I'd honestly say a Keith Elwin game isn't going to have the staying "family fun" power. His games are absolutely geared towards the intermediate to advanced players. You'll be playing "coach" to help the rest of the family get into it, which can be fun in and of itself. Just be ready to be playing alone or with other more experienced pinball players if you go with a KME game.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I walked up to a Rush Pro on location about a month ago. I had no idea what shots to shoot to start multiball. I just shot flashing shots and read the LCD. That being said, I still really didn't purposefully START MB; it kind of "just happened" on its own. When that happens in a game - when I start MB without really even trying - I loose interest pretty quickly. I like a game that I have to REALLY earn that MB. Maybe I just made shots and got lucky - I dunno. Just seemed like every 4 shots or so, another MB!!!!!!
    AFM, to me, is that perfect balance of fun:
    You have the "bash toy in middle" that makes new players feel accomplished.
    The MBs require some work: main one requires the 4 shots in the inner left orbital, Martian MB requires you to nail all 4 bobbing martians, Strobe requires you to progress through SOL to get it selected, and Total Annihilation requires all 4 main shots to be completed at least 3 times each. Some more simple than others.
    The wizard mode is not impossible but not a gimmie either. If you're dialed into your shots and know the 6 objectives, it IS doable.
    There's enough gimmicks on the PF to keep people interested and entertained.
    The Monty Python/Mars Attacks humor and vibe blend very well with some excellent call outs.
    These reasons and others I'm sure I missed are why it remains in the top 5 games here while other new "oooo shiney" games come and go. Only IMDN, JP and Godzilla are new games that have threatened it. Oh look, 3 out of 3 of those games are from Keith Elwin. Wonder why? Because his games challenge those wanting to go deeper. His games go outside the box of traditional pinball playing.
    JP is a great example: no "skill shot" inlanes up top or traditional inlane multiplers. Critical shots go through TIGHT areas like the left ramp through the pop bumpers on IMDN or the Smart Missle target on JP, and that the Jeep HAS to face left for you to get the Smart Missile, so that shot is ALWAYS going to be an insanely tight shot, but oh, SO rewarding when you hit it. All MBs require SOME effort with T-Rex being the easiest one by a mile to achieve. Outside of T-Rex, you have EARNED that MB. Getting to Dinosaurs Rule the Earth means you have truly conquered the game with Control Room needing to be complete, part of which requires you to hit the Tower...what...15 times? These are some pretty tall orders, and don't even get me started on AIQ. I feel like that is the pinball version of War and Peace when I walk up to it.
    Lots of me blowing hot air here, so what am I saying? If you want a fun game everyone can enjoy, get MB, AFM, or MM. There's a reason WHY CGC chose to remake "the big 3" first guaranteed profit as the demand was insane and STILL is - having driven up the cost of originals and even the remakes go for more now. Cactus Canyon seems "up in the air" still. The first 3 were a slam dunk, guaranteed revenue churner. CC, jury is still out for me on that one.
    I'd honestly say a Keith Elwin game isn't going to have the staying "family fun" power. His games are absolutely geared towards the intermediate to advanced players. You'll be playing "coach" to help the rest of the family get into it, which can be fun in and of itself. Just be ready to be playing alone or with other more experienced pinball players if you go with a KME game.

Thank you. Very well written and makes total sense. I suppose I just wrote off the first 3 CGC remakes because of the price tags. With the CC remake, I told myself at least I'd be getting a new game. Of the 4 CGC games, I've played the original #AFM and #MM by far the most. #MB is beloved, but a tier below those two games in my opinion. I have no memory of ever seeing Cactus Canyon in person and have only ever played the virtual version. I don't think of pinball as an investment, but I definitely don't want to spend 12k on an AFM remake (and more for a MM remake) unless I am fairly certain it will at least maintain most its value over time. I haven't been following the market long enough to form an opinion on that... maybe 3 years or so. I suppose that is a topic for another thread...

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from pete_d:

My two cents...

This is what I was thinking. Even in a small apartment I can’t imagine there really only being room for 1 pin, if there is room for 1 there is room for a second unless it’s going in a literal closet.
    What I would worry about only having 1 isn’t so much the boredom, you could always trade every 6 months to a year for a different one, but real pins break, New or old, something will break. When you only have 1 pin and it breaks and you are waiting for parts or diagnosing the issues now you don’t have anything to play. You could get lucky and it’s an easy fix and you are back to playing in a day or a week, or it could be a node board failure that’s out of stock and now you have 6 months with a broken pin just sitting there.
    I wouldn’t worry about what game to get, if you get a game and it’s awesome and you love it, keep it. If you aren’t sure or you don’t like it as much as you thought, put it up for a trade and someone will trade with you. I’ve traded twice with people on this forum and have had a great experience each time.

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I walked up to a Rush Pro on location about a month ago. I had no idea what shots to shoot to start multiball. I just shot flashing shots and read the LCD. That being said, I still really didn't purposefully START MB; it kind of "just happened" on its own. When that happens in a game - when I start MB without really even trying - I loose interest pretty quickly. I like a game that I have to REALLY earn that MB. Maybe I just made shots and got lucky - I dunno. Just seemed like every 4 shots or so, another MB!!!!!! ...

FWIW, Rush is a hybrid. Three of the multiball modes, you get just from bashing the center target (Time Machine). Even with those, once you're in the mode, there are mode-specific goals.

The other three multiball modes require effort. The easiest to get to is Far Cry, which still requires lighting two different scoops (each one requiring three different shots), and then hitting one or the other scoop. The other two are even harder: Freewill requires getting all of the "instruments", which requires hitting all three drop targets at least three times (more if you don't get the right order the first time around) and then making another shot behind the drops; Headlong Flight is "easy" in that it's just about hitting the pop bumpers enough. But it does take a lot of hits.

There is no way to literally start a new MB mode every four shots. The first mode can be started with four shots to the Time Machine, but even those MB modes take more hits after the first one (unless you are doing really well and have lower the number of shots required again by advancing the Time Machine), though I can see how one might get that impression anyway.

Does that mean you should like Rush? No...that's your own opinion and you can like or not according to whatever. I just wanted to clarify what's actually going on there.

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

This is what I was thinking. Even in a small apartment I can’t imagine there really only being room for 1 pin, if there is room for 1 there is room for a second unless it’s going in a literal closet.

Really good point regarding parts breaking. I am actually fairly mechanically inclined and love learning how to fix things. I find it rewarding. I understand waiting for parts may be a concern though...

Regarding the above, I can probably fit 50 pins in my basement if I get rid of the home theatre, putting green, pool table, bar, gym, arcade games, and play space for the kids. But, those are all things that my whole family enjoys. I like to keep everything in its own little section, so the pinball machine is going at the end of the row of arcade games. Because of the shape of the space, one is totally fine... two or more would just make the space much tighter than I prefer. The arcade section is a small "nook" (I hate that word but don't know how else to describe it) in the back of the space. Even if I removed an arcade game or two and replaced then with pins, it would just be an awkward layout. Hard to explain. So, this "one machine" thing is sort of a self imposed limitation. And yes, I will stick to it. My OCD about spacing and layout is insane.

#30 1 year ago

Thank you. Very well written and makes total sense. I suppose I just wrote off the first 3 CGC remakes because of the price tags. With the CC remake, I told myself at least I'd be getting a new game. Of the 4 CGC games, I've played the original #AFM and #MM by far the most. #MB is beloved, but a tier below those two games in my opinion. I have no memory of ever seeing Cactus Canyon in person and have only ever played the virtual version. I don't think of pinball as an investment, but I definitely don't want to spend 12k on an AFM remake (and more for a MM remake) unless I am fairly certain it will at least maintain most its value over time. I haven't been following the market long enough to form an opinion on that... maybe 3 years or so. I suppose that is a topic for another thread...

*a bit over-the-top response coming in...having fun but also serious here. Easily butthurt folks, need not read*

When CGC remade MM, the originals were creeping up to $12K-$15K, and everyone here was freaked out they'll never have a MM to play cause the price was just too insane. Thankfully now - with a lot of help from the now infamous Banning Auction and everyone from ages 18 to 99 needing a pinball machine - the remakes are going for $12K-$19K - so thankfully, the remakes helped bring prices up : ). An original MM now goes for about $11K to $16K per the archive market listings here.

Same with AFM. I bought mine in 2016 for $8250, with a fuck-load of upgrades (ColorDMD, red ramps, Pinbits strobe light kit, maritan eyes, runway lights, miniature saucer LEDs, etc.) - one year before the remakes came out. Remakes were around $6200 to $8500 depending on tier. Now, the classic remake goes for somewhere in the $9000 range with the LE going for about $12K-$14K. Really glad they re-made the game and brought those prices back down! Originals go for about $8K - $10K now.

I didn't track MBR vs original prices, but you can see the trend. You aren't going to lose money. Hell, I bought a Shadow for $4250 and sold it for $7000 almost 1.5 years later. Bought a CFTBL for $5300 in 2017 and sold it for $8000 this year. Am I bragging - yes and no - I'm telling you, you aren't going to lose your shirt buying a game and selling it years later - especially the B/W class of 92 to 98. Look at Addams Family...$10K PLUS for one now? I bought that in 2016 for $5500.

Buy the game you want and don't worry - unless a global depression hits - you will be A-ok with your purchase. If a global depression hits, you got lots more to worry about than a pinball machine's value.

#31 1 year ago

Regarding the above, I can probably fit 50 pins in my basement if I get rid of the home theatre, putting green, pool table, bar, gym, arcade games, and play space for the kids. But, those are all things that my whole family enjoys. I like to keep everything in its own little section, so the pinball machine is going at the end of the row of arcade games.

More and more, I hear Michael Douglas' rant about "listening to his mother" and "being a cosmetic surgeon making $500K a year, up to his neck in T&A" during the jungle chase scene in Romancing the Stone. A fucking putting green in a basement while my pins are in my living room. I can't help but laugh and whimper at the same time.

Poking fun with you, OP, and at myself. Nothing personal ; ).

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

More and more, I hear Michael Douglas' rant about "listening to his mother" and "being a cosmetic surgeon making $500K a year, up to his neck in T&A" during the jungle chase scene in Romancing the Stone. A fucking putting green in a basement while my pins are in my living room. I can't help but laugh and whimper at the same time.
    Poking fun with you, OP, and at myself. Nothing personal ; ).

I didn’t want to write all that, but just wanted to address the comments about only having room for one game.

#33 1 year ago

Really good point regarding parts breaking. I am actually fairly mechanically inclined and love learning how to fix things. I find it rewarding. I understand waiting for parts may be a concern though...
    Regarding the above, I can probably fit 50 pins in my basement if I get rid of the home theatre, putting green, pool table, bar, gym, arcade games, and play space for the kids. But, those are all things that my whole family enjoys. I like to keep everything in its own little section, so the pinball machine is going at the end of the row of arcade games. Because of the shape of the space, one is totally fine... two or more would just make the space much tighter than I prefer. The arcade section is a small "nook" (I hate that word but don't know how else to describe it) in the back of the space. Even if I removed an arcade game or two and replaced then with pins, it would just be an awkward layout. Hard to explain. So, this "one machine" thing is sort of a self imposed limitation. And yes, I will stick to it. My OCD about spacing and layout is insane.

Yeah not much you can do if they don’t have the parts or it takes awhile. My opto board on my JP pro went bad a few months after getting the game NIB and I just had to wait for Stern to ship me a new one.
    I completely understand and respect not having the room because you have other things you enjoy more. Some guys on here are only happy with gamerooms that are wall to wall with pinball machines. They will tell you to get rid of the TV or a couch just to fit in more.
    I’m “out of room” at 7, but if I got rid of my skee ball beverage cooler and TV I’d have room for 9, if I got rid of my couch stools and pub table I’d have room for 12, if I got rid of my air hockey, pop a shot and multicade I’d have room for 20, if I got rid of my kids play diner area room for 22, get rid of the gym storage and work area and now I could have 30.
    As is I’m happy with 7 at home and playing the rest on locations, in time I might end up with more or less who knows.
    It sounds like you have a great entertainment area, enjoy it, don’t stress too much over which pin to get and have fun!
    Oh, and share some pictures of your setup! I’d love to see the putting green, I’d like to get my dad one for his basement.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

Yeah not much you can do if they don’t have the parts or it takes awhile. My opto board on my JP pro went bad a few months after getting the game NIB and I just had to wait for Stern to ship me a new one.
    I completely understand and respect not having the room because you have other things you enjoy more. Some guys on here are only happy with gamerooms that are wall to wall with pinball machines. They will tell you to get rid of the TV or a couch just to fit in more.
    I’m “out of room” at 7, but if I got rid of my skee ball beverage cooler and TV I’d have room for 9, if I got rid of my couch stools and pub table I’d have room for 12, if I got rid of my air hockey, pop a shot and multicade I’d have room for 20, if I got rid of my kids play diner area room for 22, get rid of the gym storage and work area and now I could have 30.
    As is I’m happy with 7 at home and playing the rest on locations, in time I might end up with more or less who knows.
    It sounds like you have a great entertainment area, enjoy it, don’t stress too much over which pin to get and have fun!
    Oh, and share some pictures of your setup! I’d love to see the putting green, I’d like to get my dad one for his basement.

This is probably a bad idea, but I am traveling and actually don’t have many pics of the basement. Here’s a dumb video I made right before the basement was finished. You can see the putting green at 45 seconds. It’s from Big Moss Golf and is amazing. Much better quality than a couple of other brands I have seen.

My buddy and I were sending videos of each other scoring goals, dunking basketballs on our wives, etc while we were bored during the pandemic. Finally I decided to make a montage.

The Pop-a-Shot is now at my neighbor’s house. The arcade games and v-pin are in that space now. They were in storage at the time the video was made.

Anyway, pinball, am I right?

#35 1 year ago

That’s hilarious, thanks for sharing!
    Me and my daughter who was 7 at the time made trick shot videos on her toy hoop in our backyard as well during the pandemic, pretty sure we used the same hoop. The best one was me going down her kids rollercoaster and making the shot, she was filming and accidentally filmed in slow motion.
    I will take a look at Big Moss thanks.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from Parkshow30:

That’s hilarious, thanks for sharing!
    Me and my daughter who was 7 at the time made trick shot videos on her toy hoop in our backyard as well during the pandemic, pretty sure we used the same hoop. The best one was me going down her kids rollercoaster and making the shot, she was filming and accidentally filmed in slow motion.
    I will take a look at Big Moss thanks.

Love it. The one I have is called the Commander. It’s actually made for indoor and outdoor use. Very durable and you can actually hit little chip shots and spin the ball on it.

Sounds like you have an awesome pin collection. Do you find that family and friends who otherwise would not be into pinball have become interested? As I said in one of my first posts, I occasionally have friends and family on the virtual pin, but nobody has gotten “hooked”. I would love it if the real machine gave more people the pinball bug….

#37 1 year ago

Love it. The one I have is called the Commander. It’s actually made for indoor and outdoor use. Very durable and you can actually hit little chip shots and spin the ball on it.
    Sounds like you have an awesome pin collection. Do you find that family and friends who otherwise would not be into pinball have become interested? As I said in one of my first posts, I occasionally have friends and family on the virtual pin, but nobody has gotten “hooked”. I would love it if the real machine gave more people the pinball bug….

No one has gotten into it to the point they buy their own, but most enjoy playing when they come here. Several would like to but The price of a new pin and the maintenance of an older pin scares them off.
    My wife plays a few times a week but won’t play the same game as me because I take too long.
    My younger daughter at 5 almost 6 rarely plays but has enjoyed Guardians more than the others.
    My older daughter at 9 plays more than my wife but less than me and was interested in playing in a kids tournament right before Covid.

#38 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone who gave their input on this issue. Every single comment above was helpful to me in some way. I'm going to take some more time to think about this. Some days I'm ready to jump on JP, other days I feel differently. Thanks again!

#39 1 year ago

Theme is important to me since I want this to be a centerpiece in my basement. Will take a deeper look at the following:

#40 1 year ago

Thanks to everyone who gave their input on this issue. Every single comment above was helpful to me in some way. I'm going to take some more time to think about this. Some days I'm ready to jump on JP, other days I feel differently. Thanks again!

One thing to keep in mind is you are going to be married to the game. If you pick a game and it doesnt gel, just sell it and move on to another. These days you wont even lose much. Dont over think this. Jump right in and start enjoying a game at home.

#41 1 year ago
    Quoted from Only_Pinball:

One thing to keep in mind is you are going to be married to the game. If you pick a game and it doesnt gel, just sell it and move on to another. These days you wont even lose much. Dont over think this. Jump right in and start enjoying a game at home.

Unless your wife who doesn't even play that much pinball falls in love with it and says you can't get rid of it

#42 1 year ago

Another set of opinions if you want:

How casual are we talking? Do you think you can teach your casual players the basics, to try to catch the ball or hold the flipper to roll it up the inlane and aim for a shot? Or are these the completely hopeless type that can only ever button-mash in panic every time the ball comes near?

The button-masher type gets nowhere with anything other than AFM or MM with a big bash thing up the middle. They won't get anything from Jurassic; the only things they'll hit by flailing are the truck and spinner, and neither does much. They'll blunder into making Feed the T-rex maybe one game in five. Forget aiming for any rescue shots, it won't happen. Honestly, pinball really just isn't the thing for button-mashers; they belong on an arcade beat-em-up like TMNT or Simpsons or some such.

If you can get casuals interested in learning the basics of competent play, then Jurassic Park is okay-ish. They might be able to start a paddock and make a couple rescues. But they're not going to get to any of the depth like navigating the truck or the control room or any of the real multiballs. They might capture one dino if you show them how, but the game doesn't really call that out as much of a big victory and doesn't really drive much desire to do it more or again. Up to you if you think that might be enough to commit to the game.

I know you said you didn't like Marvel, but a good Stern game for mildly-familiar casuals is Avengers Infinity Quest. It has a great concrete goal of winning gems from Thanos; everybody gets that instantly, particularly when they see the portal open (on the premium) and then the flashing shots are easy to follow. Casuals can try out different gem quests across different games, and will luck into a portal lock or Thor multiball every now and then, and might even come close to winning one gem, and if they do the game calls it out well and they immediately want to do more. I'd nominate AIQ as the single-game collection that would hold both casual and experienced interest the longest.

Covering a bunch of other ones mentioned:

I wouldn't throw Rush at casuals; the time machine isn't at all like the AFM/MM bash toys, it's a much narrower shot and it's a brickfest if you can't aim correctly. And playing the songs is kinda abstract and not intuitive like AIQ's gems. (This goes for all the dad-rock band pins - playing songs isn't interesting at all if you don't know/care about the music.)

TMNT has a brutal reputation, but casuals can play it kinda okay, they can often flail at the van enough to start an episode or multiball, and the different turtles let you start close to different features.

Ghostbusters is terrible - it has an extra-wide flipper gap that infuriates everybody.

GOTG is pretty decent for casuals - Groot is a great bash toy for starting multiball, and also modes continue if you drain, which is nicely forgiving. But of course you'd only want it if you like Marvel.

Stranger Things is okay at first but gets old quick, casuals will bash the demogorgon but that's all they'll do, they won't have the control to start missions or get anywhere in them.

Monster Bash isn't all that great for casuals, they'll start one monster at most, and won't hit Frank enough or the ramp to start multiball. Killer sound package though.

Cactus Canyon is fairly solid; if casuals can learn at least the basics of aiming, shooting down the bad guys is easy and fun, and they might hit the gold mine enough for multiball.

WCS94 is pretty good, everybody gets aiming at the goal.

Fish Tales is okay-ish but doesn't stand out.

I don't know Indy 500.

CFTBL is terrible for casuals; multiball is way too intricate to start and then it lasts three seconds with no ball saver.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

Another set of opinions if you want:
    How casual are we talking? Do you think you can teach your casual players the basics, to try to catch the ball or hold the flipper to roll it up the inlane and aim for a shot? Or are these the completely hopeless type that can only ever button-mash in panic every time the ball comes near?
    The button-masher type gets nowhere with anything other than AFM or MM with a big bash thing up the middle. They won't get anything from Jurassic; the only things they'll hit by flailing are the truck and spinner, and neither does much. They'll blunder into making Feed the T-rex maybe one game in five. Forget aiming for any rescue shots, it won't happen. Honestly, pinball really just isn't the thing for button-mashers; they belong on an arcade beat-em-up like TMNT or Simpsons or some such.
    If you can get casuals interested in learning the basics of competent play, then Jurassic Park is okay-ish. They might be able to start a paddock and make a couple rescues. But they're not going to get to any of the depth like navigating the truck or the control room or any of the real multiballs. They might capture one dino if you show them how, but the game doesn't really call that out as much of a big victory and doesn't really drive much desire to do it more or again. Up to you if you think that might be enough to commit to the game.
    I know you said you didn't like Marvel, but a good Stern game for mildly-familiar casuals is Avengers Infinity Quest. It has a great concrete goal of winning gems from Thanos; everybody gets that instantly, particularly when they see the portal open (on the premium) and then the flashing shots are easy to follow. Casuals can try out different gem quests across different games, and will luck into a portal lock or Thor multiball every now and then, and might even come close to winning one gem, and if they do the game calls it out well and they immediately want to do more. I'd nominate AIQ as the single-game collection that would hold both casual and experienced interest the longest.
    Covering a bunch of other ones mentioned:
    I wouldn't throw Rush at casuals; the time machine isn't at all like the AFM/MM bash toys, it's a much narrower shot and it's a brickfest if you can't aim correctly. And playing the songs is kinda abstract and not intuitive like AIQ's gems. (This goes for all the dad-rock band pins - playing songs isn't interesting at all if you don't know/care about the music.)
    TMNT has a brutal reputation, but casuals can play it kinda okay, they can often flail at the van enough to start an episode or multiball, and the different turtles let you start close to different features.
    Ghostbusters is terrible - it has an extra-wide flipper gap that infuriates everybody.
    GOTG is pretty decent for casuals - Groot is a great bash toy for starting multiball, and also modes continue if you drain, which is nicely forgiving. But of course you'd only want it if you like Marvel.
    Stranger Things is okay at first but gets old quick, casuals will bash the demogorgon but that's all they'll do, they won't have the control to start missions or get anywhere in them.
    Monster Bash isn't all that great for casuals, they'll start one monster at most, and won't hit Frank enough or the ramp to start multiball. Killer sound package though.
    Cactus Canyon is fairly solid; if casuals can learn at least the basics of aiming, shooting down the bad guys is easy and fun, and they might hit the gold mine enough for multiball.
    WCS94 is pretty good, everybody gets aiming at the goal.
    Fish Tales is okay-ish but doesn't stand out.
    I don't know Indy 500.
    CFTBL is terrible for casuals; multiball is way too intricate to start and then it lasts three seconds with no ball saver.

Really, really helpful. This casual group of mine ranges from flipper mashing to somewhat competent. I am trying to cater to the somewhat competent group here as we have the most fun playing together. They know to keep the ball under control, know how to post transfer, aim for shots, etc. But, low attention span and patience when it comes to rules. They can put up good scores on Attack From Mars, but when I try to get them to play Creature, they have no idea what's going on.

The flipper mashers are happy getting drunk, playing darts, and gambling on Golden Tee. They hit the v-pin every now and then, but I can't please everyone.

On paper, the virtual pinball actually seems like a perfectly fine solution, but I still want to buy a real game. I'm taking my time

#44 1 year ago

I recently brought home a Mando and it has one huge thing going for it for casual players and kids, and that is multiball is very easy to start. Getting a "moment" like that for beginners really gets them excited and motivated to play more. At the same time, there is some decent depth and challenge for experienced players through the modes, playfield multipliers, and Foundry item strategy. As a bonus, Mando's are readily available on the new and used markets.

1006221759f (resized).jpg1006221759f (resized).jpg

#45 1 year ago
    Quoted from Flyfalcons:

I recently brought home a Mando and it has one huge thing going for it for casual players and kids, and that is multiball is very easy to start. Getting a "moment" like that for beginners really gets them excited and motivated to play more. At the same time, there is some decent depth and challenge for experienced players through the modes, playfield multipliers, and Foundry item strategy. As a bonus, Mando's are readily available on the new and used markets.
    [quoted image]

Love this!!! I have two young girls and potentially a third on the way so this pic makes me smile. Thanks for the recommendation!!

#46 1 year ago

I have 3 girls with a 4th on the way. I can talk family friends pins all day long.
    One things to note. You will want a second pin eventually. One, something simpler, and rhe 2nd, most likely Rush or an Elwin game (biased opinion)
    Think of this as a decision for your initial pin. If you accept that, your decision becomes easier. I believe the rumor is that CGC eventually plans to rerun MM. If so, plan on getting one. I do.
    Thoughts on that suggestion?
    My kids like rush, BM 66 is a bit deep but easy to start the crane (penguin) mode and fairly easy to start a Shame 2 ball multiball.
    When we had JP LE at the house they liked the Dino, but overall the game was too difficult. I'm picking up a Mando for a couple months and can let you know what they think of it.

#47 1 year ago

My .02 that isn’t worth much. 1- A second pin is inevitable, lol. 2- Why not pick up a less expensive street level pin for the mashers? A black hole, spirit, embryon, black knight or the like. Or an old EM?

#48 1 year ago
    Quoted from JustJared:

I believe the rumor is that CGC eventually plans to rerun MM. If so, plan on getting one. I do.
    Thoughts on that suggestion?

Yes, I actually put myself on a list a couple of months ago! Not sure if I have the patience to wait though. That feels like a 2024 release at this point....

Quoted from Ballderdash:

My .02 that isn’t worth much. 1- A second pin is inevitable, lol. 2- Why not pick up a less expensive street level pin for the mashers? A black hole, spirit, embryon, black knight or the like. Or an old EM?

World Cup Soccer would be my choice there. We're a big soccer family. I love the game and would love to have one. For now I'm limiting myself to one pin just due to the layout of my basement!!

#49 1 year ago

Yes, I actually put myself on a list a couple of months ago! Not sure if I have the patience to wait though. That feels like a 2024 release at this point....

If that is the case, buy one off the used market from a trusted Pinsider. By the time you wait until 2024, the price then will match the price you'll pay now. Get your game now and avoid a 1+ year wait for the same price.

World Cup Soccer would be my choice there. We're a big soccer family. I love the game and would love to have one. For now I'm limiting myself to one pin just due to the layout of my basement!!

Re-reading the thread, you obviously love JP, so here's your 2-pin collection (it'll happen, trust me, nearly no one goes 1-pin):

1. To satisfy the JP itch and intermediate to advanced players: JP
    2. For family fun players/button mashers: AFM or WCS

That's it in a nutshell : ) !

#50 1 year ago
    Quoted from NPO:

(it'll happen, trust me, nearly no one goes 1-pin):

Believe me, this is on my mind constantly. The reason I went with a virtual pin is because I was planning on only having one machine. If I had room for multiple games, I never would have gotten this to begin with. I like it, but don't love it....

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-are-rules-intuitive-for-casuals?hl=justjared and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.