177C1B8F-F75D-4C5F-8A1F-FB3105AD3006 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
254587EE-B300-4F1F-8AC4-60D5654635B4 (resized).jpeg
568B1C96-9FE7-4CCA-AB3C-041E172964AC (resized).jpeg
80311210-1E14-4658-8A10-8C153E5E129A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #955 04: DO NOT SHARE YOUR PRIVATE LINKS WITH OTHERS Posted by timlah79 (3 years ago)

Post #1145 06: Stats on the customization work from audio to video (as of 38TS) Posted by timlah79 (3 years ago)

Post #1773 01: PSA - PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR A 1.06 VERSION Posted by timlah79 (1 year ago)

Post #1784 00: PLEASE READ: Do not request custom code Posted by timlah79 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider imagamejunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Great question. I bet someone on here knows. I'm going to assume that once the next stern firmware is updated on the machine it will overwrite any custom sounds imported the customized before version. However when you update you do get an option for quick or full. Maybe quick only applies the difference between the two firmware versions?

Yes, each new code update from Stern will revert the audio back to stock. Quick or Full won't make a difference. Then another audio mod will need to be made. So users have to decide to leave the older modded code in place or update from Stern and live with the stock audio until a new audio mix is released.

I'll use TWD as an example. Most TWD owners run custom audio from Cleland, it's fantastic. Whenever Stern releases a code update then Cleland has to make a new version of his modded code and re-release it. Some changes are more difficult than others. If Stern changes the bookmarks then that creates more work.

Junky

5 months later
#176 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

What I don't know is if you install 1.01 if it keeps you from installing previous versions (hopefully not, I'm not gonna risk it).

Has anyone tried this?
I'm running 1.01 and I really like the new feature setting that allows the trex modes to be started if the ball breaks the ramp opto, instead of only when the ball goes into the trex mouth. My trex rejects A LOT of shots. This would be the only loss in reverting back to 1.0 IMO. But I would really like to try your amazing new 1.0 with the custom audio.
I keep all of the old code updates on a PC. I could try to install 1.0 and see if it takes it.

Junky

1 month later
#206 3 years ago

Coindoor power interlock not pulled out?

#211 3 years ago

I WISH pinball browser still worked with current code. I would love to have this awesome audio mix. Kudos to you guys for all of your hard work. Great job!
For me personally I prefer 1.01 over 1.0.
The biggest change is-
"added 'T-REX EVENT STARTS ON RAMP ENTER' - YES - allows the mode to start if the Ramp Enter switch is hit, NO - T-Rex must register a catch to start the mode, Defaults to NO"
This helps the game progress better IMO because there are SO MANY Trex catch rejects on my machine.
There are also a ton of Trex adjustments in 1.01.
I'm hopeful that someone will be able to crack the issue with PB browser. This is a bummer.

1 week later
#246 3 years ago
Quoted from Eagle14:

I had 1.01 installed on my LE and then installed the custom rom and it worked fine, so in theory you could install 1.01 and then the custom rom and be fine.

This

#251 3 years ago

I just loaded up Tim's code and HOLY CRAP it's awesome!
Great job!!

I can verify that going from 1.01 to Tim's 1.0 was super smooth. No issues. I used "quick and no verify". Not only was it smooth but ALL of my settings AND high scores were saved. I didn't expect the scores to save. Bonus!

Curious, what music and speech attenuation settings do you recommend Tim?

#255 3 years ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

I just loaded up Tim's code and HOLY CRAP it's awesome!
Great job!!
I can verify that going from 1.01 to Tim's 1.0 was super smooth. No issues. I used "quick and no verify". Not only was it smooth but ALL of my settings AND high scores were saved. I didn't expect the scores to save. Bonus!
Curious, what music and speech attenuation settings do you recommend Tim?

UPDATE
Yesterday I updated from Stern 1.01 to Tim's 1.0 with his custom ending audio. The settings and scores were saved.
Today I updated again. This time to Tim's 1.0 with the standard ending audio. This time the settings and scores were NOT saved.

So, if you want to save your settings and scores, I suggest you save your settings to a usb drive (in the utilities menu) before you update. And then of course restore these settings in the same way after you've updated.

#257 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

My attenuation settings are speech is -15, and music is 0. It definitely makes the callouts more pronounced over the music and I'm digging it.

I had it at speech +3 before. Now with Tim's mod I'm trying default (0 and 0) and the speech call-outs are already quite loud.

#272 3 years ago

Have any of you guys tried the Stern topper with the 1.0 code?

#278 3 years ago

Royale-W-Cheese says that his Stern topper works perfectly with Tim’s 1.0 code!

#281 3 years ago
Quoted from Mutt:

still haven't installed the custom audio yet. I'm really anxious but we're still getting used to the stock audio so we can really appreciate the changes

No need to be anxious. Follow these steps...

If you don’t already own these,
Buy a 16gb class 10 SD card and 2 usb thumb drives (I use 16gb for these also)

You’ll need an external SD card reader for your pc if it doesn’t have a built in card reader.

Follow Stern’s instructions exactly! Download and flash the appropriate 1.01 JP card image to your new SD card.
Go here https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

If you haven’t already, download and install Tim’s .spk code. Copy his .spk file onto blank usb thumb drive A.

Turn on your JP and insert blank usb thumb drive B into the head.
Open utilities, save settings, press select to save settings
Remove usb thumb drive B, put aside, remember which one this is.

Turn off JP, remove stock SD card, put aside

Insert new SD card that you flashed.
Turn on JP
After it boots up insert usb thumb drive B
Open utilities, restore settings, select to restore settings
Verify that all of your settings are restored
Turn off JP, remove usb thumb drive B

Insert usb thumb drive A, turn on JP
Install Tim’s code
Turn off JP remove usb thumb drive A
Turn on JP

Your original settings should now be on your JP with Tim’s code. Settings and high scores are saved to the SD card.

You can easily swap SD cards back and forth (with your game off of course) so you can compare stock vs Tim’s.
You have a copy of your settings and scores saved for future on usb drive B

Junky

#313 3 years ago

Guys. Let me help here.
Stern writes code for a game. Complete code. All audio, video, IFTT (if this then that) programming, led colors, etc etc etc.
When they release an update (like .spk 1.01) they make some changes to the previous code. Sometimes changes are HUGE. Sometimes they are not. When you run the .spk you are changing parts of the previous code or adding completely new parts, not replacing the whole thing.
Ok..
Stern released 1.0. Then Tim made his version. His version IS Sterns 1.0 in every way but he swapped out hundreds of audio tracks. Everything else is 1.0.

Now, if you want Sterns 1.01 .spk update with the extra Trex goodies then you will be running Sterns stock audio along with it.

Stern created a blockade that stops pinball browser from working with 1.01. Its possible that eventually pinball browser will bypass Sterns blockade and then guys like Tim (and Cleland, me, and others) will be able to continue changing audio tracks in each of Sterns updates. But until that happens you will have to choose. Stay with Tim's 1.0 or update to Stern 1.0-whatever.
Hope that makes it clear as mud..

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from lowbeau67:

You Will help sell more pro nibs for sure.

THIS

Stern needs to hire Tim

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from kactussjack:

Couldn't find an answer to this by searching. I am getting ready to load Tim's pro version over 1.01. I'm a little paranoid about losing the settings and scores. Stupid question, but does saving the settings on a USB stick also save the scores?

Yes, usb save utility saves both.
The pin should save both automatically when you install from your current 1.01 to Tim's 1.0, but to be on the safe side I recommend using the usb save utility beforehand. Just in case.

And "quick" is just fine. No need to do a "full".

#364 3 years ago

Oga83 released the new PB browser update which fixed the blockade with Stern's latest firmware versions. That's fantastic news. It will work with 1.01 now.
However he is banning users from sharing ANY firmware. This is confusing. I posted some questions on that thread.
Hopefully I'm misunderstanding him.

#412 3 years ago
Quoted from hollyw00d:

Ok so who is going to try and install Tim's version over the new 1.02 to see if it works? I'm close to buying a new Premium but all of the distributers are waiting on Stern to ship them a new batch, which I'm sure will come with the new software. I'm not going to buy one unless I know it will work with 1.02.

Commenting to try to help Tim out here.
Installing Tim’s 1.0 after already running Stern’s 1.01 or 1.02 shouldn’t cause you any problems.

This is what has been confusing some people. You won’t be installing 1.0 “over” 1.01/1.02 and retaining 1.01/1.02. You will be replacing 1.01/1.02 with 1.0.
Hope this helps

2 weeks later
#438 3 years ago

Tim's almost right.
I highly recommend backing up your settings and scores on a blank usb drive from the utility menu before swapping SD cards or changing code.
When you update/downgrade code via the usb method your settings/scores should save automatically, however there have been occasions when this did not happen.

Swapping SD cards will NOT automatically save anything. Those settings/scores are saved on the card

1 week later
#466 3 years ago

Couple of clarifications for you guys.
You ONLY need to power off/on your machines when swapping out SD cards, or when booting up with a .spk update via usb drive.

You do not need to power off/on your game when saving/restoring settings via usb drive from the utilities menu.

You do not need a blank usb drive for saving settings. You can keep multiple save files from the same game (and multiple other games) on the same usb drive. When you save settings the pin will name the file with the game initials (like JRP) and the date of the save. Later on when restoring your settings you can choose which file to load with the volume +/- buttons. Just be sure to pick the correct save file before pressing select. Having a .spk file on the drive won’t matter because the game’s restore utility is looking for only the save files.

I personally have used saved settings files from 1.0 code while running 1.01 and then again back to 1.0. Same again from 1.01 to 1.02. As of now these save files are backwards and forwards compatible. That could of course change.

Nick

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 19.50
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider imagamejunky.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project?tu=imagamejunky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.