177C1B8F-F75D-4C5F-8A1F-FB3105AD3006 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
254587EE-B300-4F1F-8AC4-60D5654635B4 (resized).jpeg
568B1C96-9FE7-4CCA-AB3C-041E172964AC (resized).jpeg
80311210-1E14-4658-8A10-8C153E5E129A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #955 04: DO NOT SHARE YOUR PRIVATE LINKS WITH OTHERS Posted by timlah79 (3 years ago)

Post #1145 06: Stats on the customization work from audio to video (as of 38TS) Posted by timlah79 (3 years ago)

Post #1773 01: PSA - PLEASE DO NOT ASK FOR A 1.06 VERSION Posted by timlah79 (1 year ago)

Post #1784 00: PLEASE READ: Do not request custom code Posted by timlah79 (1 year ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawkmoon77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

#1 4 years ago

Here's a place to stay organized and updated about working on custom audio for Stern's JP2.

Whose working on it:
hawkmoon77
timlah79

What's been done:
Sound clips are being extracted from the movie and cleaned up. I'm at the 10 minute mark and already have 30 clips.

Audio in the code is being indexed and labeled (I've done around 600)

Got a process to get clean dialogue from the movie using spectral analysis. It currently takes about sn hour a clip though

#2 4 years ago

So one of the neat things in going through the code is how many music and FX files I haven't heard before, in nearly 250 games. Perhaps they are there for future modes? Based on some of the background music, they seem like they will be exciting.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Thanks for whipping up this topic hawkmoon77 !

You brought up a good point. I am ripping these from a streaming version of a stereo high def version. But now you make me wonder if I could somehow extract surround channels from a remastered DVD, if say the speech is more separated to the center channel or something, but I kind of doubt it b/c the original was not recorded in surround AFAIK. So any surround version would be faking it unless they started from the original recording track outs. With the stereo files, in some cases the speech is panned closer to one side than the music, which makes it easier to separate but it's hit and miss. The sounds will have background music/environmental noise no matter what, but my engineer and I are working with some pretty good plug ins. In the end as long as there's a layer of sound going on in the gameplay, the unwanted b/g is far less noticeable. I'll look into the DVD option but that may be difficult to extract due to security measures.

I suggest starting from the most recent version of the movie... I think it is the remastered bluray. They would have already done a ton of work cleaning the audio for the center channel, but for the older stuff like JP, they might have rerun clean back tracks for the stereo channels with left the center mixed. What I do is preserve the channels during the cutting of the clips. Then, you can usually subtract the left and right tracks from the center and you'll be left with really clean audio.

Sometimes, you only need to subtract one side or the other. Or you may need to mix the left and right, and then subtract from the center. It's worth checking the rear channels too.

Also, you need to use the most uncompressed format, or the subtraction won't work right.

Once that's all done, you can usually just normalize the volume of what's left and be good to go.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Hey hawkmoon77 I see you've updated a ton! I just added a few myself using your same naming convention. One concern though. When you try to search/use the text box to filter to one of your custom bookmark values, it doesn't find it. I can only find it from the original Request #. Hopefully I'm just doing something wrong?

Hmm.. search is working for me. It may be a glitch.

By the way, did you see Request 710? One of my favorites.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Thanks for whipping up this topic hawkmoon77 !

I'll look into the DVD option but that may be difficult to extract due to security measures.

I just checked and apparently it was one of the first movies to be done in DTS. The audio might be clean in the mix.

I think this is worth a shot considering the time it takes to remaster this stuff. Without even messing with removing the security features, you could play the DVD in a software player that let's you select only the center channel. You can use just about any audio recording software and "record" the audio while it's playing by selecting the recording device as your output. It'll make a clean digital recording. I've done this a lot without a problem.

If it doesn't work, it may be worth buying a legit "digital copy" file and then extracting the audio from the MPEG.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Gotcha, hmm. I don't own the DVD or Blue ray, just the '93 VHS! And of course soundtrack CD and vinyl (but we're not replacing music). You seem to be somewhat audio savvy on the video audio extract front. Do you own any of these/could dump files out the entire audio channels for me to cut up and mix? If not I'll just buy it. I'm guessing my engineer has a tool. Let me share what I have so far and let me know if you foresee problems. I'm importing some sounds now and doing a new firmware build. Will report back. BTW one thing that is lame with importing these edited firmware files vs. Stern's official is that it wipes everything score-wise, setting-wise etc. Unsure if there's a way around that?

My neighbor has the bluray. I'll borrow it from him this weekend. I think I'll simply pop it in and lower the volume of all of the speakers to zero, except for the center, and see what we got to work with.

#11 4 years ago

By the way, you may want to download the closed captioning file so you can search for phrases in the movie that might work.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

"Holy crap, rewriting a brand new game? That's bold AF", I thought.
Then I read the first post, and it's just pinball-browsering the audio. Cool. Noble. Will be loved by many.
Not 'custom code' though.

Oh... Sorry to have not been clear with that.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Fair and good points guys. Yes right now we are just looking at audio, specially script customization. hawkmoon77 go ahead and clarify the title. Let's stick to the effort at hand though moving forward!

Fixed.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

i started this too ... how do you share bookmarks ? i can see hawkmoons when i hit sync
also , please share which programs can isolate center channel .. i have been using audacity for everything (walking dead work)
thx
EDIT : i found the vocal isolator (way at the bottom of effects) .. cant believe i didnt know it was there.[quoted image]

Vocal isolator with center channel gets you like 95 percent there. Some clips do better with audio subtraction though.

#25 4 years ago

I'm working on getting a clean dts audio file to work with. I think it would help to keyword search the script for the 2nd and 3rd movies. Some of the actors were in them and had some useful lines.

#35 4 years ago

As I go through the existing audio, there are some pretty good alterative arrangements of the theme songs already in the code. I'm not sure when/if they get used.

#36 4 years ago

Holy cow did that take a looong time. I processed both the 5.1 original DVD and the 7.1 surround bluray. Both versions have a mixed center channel (dialogue mixed with music), but only music on the stereo and rear channels.

Not great at all. But I couldn't even just subtract the stereo from the center. They did some pretty strange processing on it that was messing me up. I finally worked out a way to undue most of it, and use it as a reference to isolate the vocal.

I now have about as clean as a version of "Welcome to Jurassic Park" as I think is possible. I can't explain the subtlety of how much better this method is than my earlier attempts. Virtually zero music intrusion, and a preservation of the vocal that captures the gritty-ness and breathy-ness of the original. You barely notice how much better it is unless you compare it side-by-side to the processed, mechanized, and clipped junk that were my first attempts.

What's the best way to get this file out there? I'm actually pretty eager to hear your thoughts on how it came out.

#37 4 years ago

Here's the link to the dialogue I isolated. (It's in a crappy youtube format, the version I have is a bit cleaner).

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

awesome! Google drive or
https://www.filedropper.com/
up to 5gb

I uploaded it to youtube for now in the above post. I'll look into using a google drive. I'm not sure how google treats ripped audio files though, so I may just set up an ftp server.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

sounds about as good as it can be .. great work

Thanks. Now that I have a good procedure, I'm trying to set up a macro so future ones won't take an entire weekend!

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Following this thread -- have a premium on the way, but those callouts...

Feel free to participate. If you find good candidates for replacement, let us know.

#44 4 years ago

It took me awhile to figure out what in the world request 630 was supposed to be. I finally realized it was Nedry saying, "one."

There is so much background music that you can barely hear it. They must have just grabbed it from the movie. Wow is it bad...

#45 4 years ago

I have about 40% of the sound requests labeled.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

you're killing it!
Where are you planning to host the audio clips?

I'm going to turn on my ftp server. I just need to configure the dyndns address.

#48 4 years ago

By the way, I'm going through the FX clips because some of them are generic sounds played during certain win and loss events. It might be good to layer appropriate movie dialogue over it.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

FWIW, that really doesn't sound right to me.
Looking forward to hearing the fruits of your labour though. Don't have a machine, but the movie mix for DE JP is awesome.

Could you elaborate on that? It was taken from the scene where they see their first dinosaur. Dr. Grant just finished asking about the T-rex, and then gets light headed. Dr. Sattler tells him to catch his breath. Then Hammond says that iconic phrase as they roll up to the dinosaur. It's about 21 minutes in.

If it helps, I can put the two clips side by side.

#51 4 years ago

Can someone clean up the references for the music files? They are requests 38 to 75. I'm not sure when (or even if) they are all used. I only recognized a handful.

The first 12 music clips are all variants on the main theme. But the original soundtrack had much more variety. The original music would call back the main theme in most of the tracks, but it look like stern pulled that portion from each of them. Which makes them sound pretty similar. (Not complaining, just observing).

Then there are an additional 26 music files with what appears to be custom creations. They all sound pretty good to me. Pretty exciting since I barely recognized any of them from existing modes (maybe 3 or 4). Perhaps these are to come? Anyway, some may be good candidates for going back to the original soundtrack though.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Maybe it's just heavy Youtube compression, but it doesn't sound so 'boxed in' on other youtube clips.

Here's a comparison based on the DVD DTS audio. I am far from an audio expert, so I'm happy for any techniques that would result in better quality audio:

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

First sounds way better. Background noise is immaterial as you'll presumably be playing this over the theme. No background noise is at the expense of a ton of fidelity in the second clip ... it sounds cack.

Noted. Like I said, I'm no audio expert. I'll leave it to the more capable then.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Don't mind his complaints. The welcome clip is perfectly fine

There a bunch of music end notes... not sure what to call them. But they sort of abruptly end the music in a seamless way. I think they are used to transition from music playing to a sound effect when the ball is drained -- instead of just doing a hard cut. It might be good to overlay some call-outs on those as well.

Also, there are a lot of variants of the same call outs. I think they were done to keep the phrases fresh. I didn't notice it before, but I bet I would have noticed the redundancy if they hadn't done that.

Also, is there a way to view, import of export the video in pinbrowser? I see the individual references for them, but I have no way of playing them. If I could at least export them, it would help identify what's going on.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Don't mind his complaints. The welcome clip is perfectly fine

PM me an email address so I can give you access to the google drive with the files in it.

#59 4 years ago

Shared drive is set up with a subtitle file in text form (to search the dialogue and find the timestamp). Also is a complete 6 channel DVD audio rip in original format.

Since the game steps outside of the movie, it seems like there may be clips of some of the cast outside the JP movie saying pinball-related things. If anyone can identify any, feel free to contribute.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Wouldn"t it just be easier to use an old dvd ripper and work it thru virtual dub for sound comment that might be suitable for the game?
Like golblumes must go faster in the jeep scene and such?

If I'm understanding you correctly, I think that's pretty much what I did. The audio is ripped in the best format available and we have a text searchable script taken from the subtitles with time stamps.

#62 4 years ago

Now that everyone who is working on it has access to the shared folder, just dump any preferred clips into the "Audio clips for cleanup" folder and I'll work on isolating the dialogue. I'll then put the cleaned up clips in the "clean audio clips folder"

#63 4 years ago

For anyone wondering, the game uses 3,636 different sound clips.

I've labeled 643 of them. Only 3,000 to go.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

For anyone wondering, the game uses 3,636 different sound clips.

I've labeled 643. Only about 3,000 to go.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon77:

I've labeled 643. Only about 3,000 to go.

Yeah. There are three of them in the script section. 0xDA1, 0xDA2, and 0xDA3.

The one used in the game is request number 583.

#73 4 years ago

Great work!

#76 4 years ago

Delt31, when I get around to cleaning up the audio, I'll normalize the volume on everything to keep the levels consistent.

#78 4 years ago

Tim and Delt, Check the clean folder on the share drive. I have some before and after clips. Background hum, clicks, and minor misc sound effects were removed. I have original and clean versions for direct comparison. Tell me what you think and if it's worth it.

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from C_Presley:

In addition to “Ian freeze” I would be down for the “I think we’re back in business” how it is on the current game just with the original movie line/actor.

I just got "I think we're back in business." Holy cow was that hard. The music isn't so bad, but the sound effect removal is a killer (Like the crashes and stuff that happens right on a key word." Only took an hour but I got a great sample.

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

What I'm finding challenging is locating all the samples in the game code that are played when raptor escapes as shoot her! Is best and it's in there by me but I didn't get them all replaced

Send me the list of clips you"re currently using. I'll get them processed while yout search or identify new clips. It'll give me a chance to catch up. It's taking me about an hour or so per clip.

2 weeks later
#91 4 years ago
Quoted from mskoenen:

Just unboxed my Premium on Friday and this clip immediately convinced me that I need to jump in on this. Does anyone have a link to a good thread on how to use Pinball Browser, or a tutorial on how to incorporate all of this fine work?
Also, is there anything I can do to help? If nothing else, I can start listening to sound clips in the game code and listing what they are...

We are working very diligently on this. Using a lot of high end resources to get shoe really great and clean clips. It's a tremendously neutral task. Each clip is averaging over an hour. But we are making a ton of progress. I think people will be happy with the results.

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from Stags6969:

Will the resources be available for someone to do a Pro version?

I would like to do a pro version. We are pretty focused on getting something out right now. The hard part, as you can imagine, is getting the audio clips. I feel like I have an added part time job on top of my full time job. Literally hours using spectral analysis to clean up the audio files as best as they can be. It's very manual.

In comparison to isolating and cleaning the clips, moving them to a pro version of the code seems simple.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

How easily is your hard work transferred to newer firmware as it’s released?

Shouldn't be an issue. Will take some time if the references change, but it wouldn't require a complete redo.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 39.00
$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hawkmoon77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project?tu=hawkmoon77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.