D3FF1994-B151-4969-BC89-FF02F08ED4ED.gif
FCDD9576-965B-4816-9805-00F11C7F05C0.gif
177C1B8F-F75D-4C5F-8A1F-FB3105AD3006 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
254587EE-B300-4F1F-8AC4-60D5654635B4 (resized).jpeg
568B1C96-9FE7-4CCA-AB3C-041E172964AC (resized).jpeg
80311210-1E14-4658-8A10-8C153E5E129A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 37.
#1751 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

It doesn't really matter if you are connected to the internet or not. If you swap SD cards that contain non-IC modified code and newer IC enabled code you shouldn't need to worry at all imo. There would need to be a mechanism in the hardware by which the IC enabled code could identify that a non-IC enabled modified SD card was used previously. And if they could do that, the IC enabled code could brick your machine, network or no network.

If they really want to stop modified code it would be easier for them to encrypt the SD card image and make it so the hardware would only run the encrypted images once you boot up with a newer version, if their current platform even supports that. I can't think of any reason they would go through the trouble because there's no financial incentive. Maybe if the licensors are giving them grief about it?

DirecTV could brick/loop hacked cards, and as the article mentions only went after the cards not the hardware itself. I'm told people would swap between hacked and non-hacked cards without detection, since nothing was flagged on the boxes. I'm guessing their estimates for the number of cards they took out with their big attack was based on the number of new subscribers right after that since they had no way of knowing otherwise.

I was going to quote and comment on each of these, but I just ended up at...I totally agree with you

#1752 2 years ago

Anything is possible, but if I were in the enforcement game, I would have a startup process that checks the data block locally.

Quoted from KSP1138:

It doesn't really matter if you are connected to the internet or not. If you swap SD cards that contain non-IC modified code and newer IC enabled code you shouldn't need to worry at all imo. There would need to be a mechanism in the hardware by which the IC enabled code could identify that a non-IC enabled modified SD card was used previously. And if they could do that, the IC enabled code could brick your machine, network or no network.
If they really want to stop modified code it would be easier for them to encrypt the SD card image and make it so the hardware would only run the encrypted images once you boot up with a newer version, if their current platform even supports that. I can't think of any reason they would go through the trouble because there's no financial incentive. Maybe if the licensors are giving them grief about it?
DirecTV could brick/loop hacked cards, and as the article mentions only went after the cards not the hardware itself. I'm told people would swap between hacked and non-hacked cards without detection, since nothing was flagged on the boxes. I'm guessing their estimates for the number of cards they took out with their big attack was based on the number of new subscribers right after that since they had no way of knowing otherwise.

I think the most tangible response to code modification to date has simply been advisory about the licensing. That satisfies the early stages of infringement, but would need more teeth if the issue gets out of hand. The IP holder could demand more enforcement or pull the license, but those are extreme next steps...

#1753 2 years ago

I'll be getting a newly built premium soon with IC pre-installed and probably 1.05. Will swapping SD cards between the 1.03/1.05 versions update the node boards to the proper firmware each time automatically? And I'm assuming that 1.03 has no issues with the IC node board being installed and just ignores it?

#1754 2 years ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

I'll be getting a newly built premium soon with IC pre-installed and probably 1.05. Will swapping SD cards between the 1.03/1.05 versions update the node boards to the proper firmware each time automatically? And I'm assuming that 1.03 has no issues with the IC node board being installed and just ignores it?

Yup, I swap between code versions on all my games and it will update the node boards as needed. No big deal.

1 month later
#1755 1 year ago

Dumb question, What size card will I need for the custom code guys? I Need to pick one up. All new to me, Thanks!

#1756 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Dumb question, What size card will I need for the custom code guys? I Need to pick one up. All new to me, Thanks!

This is the card that I use for all my Stern's that I am running with custom code. I have 4 and have never had any issues.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YFG7T8F

#1757 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Needs to be at least 8GB (this is what Stern use and the custom code is the same size) and Class 10 or better

#1758 1 year ago

IMAC user.

Downloaded
Click on the file but, it will not UNZIP for anything. so I can use belenaetcher 1.5.76 to flash

Anyone know how to get this unzipped on a mac. I have looked back and using terminal kinda scares me. lol When he says "Brick your mac" lol

#1759 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

IMAC user.
Downloaded
Click on the file but, it will not UNZIP for anything. so I can use belenaetcher 1.5.76 to flash
Anyone know how to get this unzipped on a mac. I have looked back and using terminal kinda scares me. lol When he says "Brick your mac" lol

Infinitely easier if you can just access a PC somewhere somehow for it. Win32DiskImager works so much better than either Mac or PC version of BalenaEtcher, which is so flakey. Terminal isn't all that bad in a cut and paste way. I've had to do a lot of bits and pieces on my PC 'Hackintoshs' in Terminal over the years.

#1760 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

IMAC user.
Downloaded

Have to use terminal for it to work unfortunately. And it will take A LONG time for the whole process..

#1761 1 year ago

Most people overlook just using Pinball Browser itself to write the image to the SD card. Won’t help for Macs, but if you use Windows, keep it simple. Unlicensed PB allows writing images and it always works.

#1762 1 year ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

IMAC user.
Downloaded

The biggest red flag to where you're better off using a PC instead is when your Mac won't even unzip the file via the UI. Yes there are aforementioned ways to do so via the Terminal but then you get more issues down the line just trying to get to the final step of flashing via the known working, older belena etcher 1.5.76 version. Mac has some stupid permissions things that get in your way in tandem. At this point, I suggest just getting a hold of a Windows PC temporarily + snag a USB SD card writer and flash it there. Win32DiskImager or PBrowser's functions to flash (which are basically the same thing) are both flawless on a PC.

#1763 1 year ago

All good and installed guys! Thanks for the help. Windows was easy not one issue at all even my first attempt.
What a game!!! This code!!!!!! So much better!

2 weeks later
#1764 1 year ago

Guys,
This is seriously awesome, thank you so much for the hard work that went into this, To think all the underlying code is the same too. Superb!

#1765 1 year ago

Update to this, FWIW. I removed my shaker and issue went away. I didn’t have the official Stern one.

Quoted from ToddSonOfOdin:

Odd issue. My Trex roar sound cuts out, same spot, 2 times whenever it plays. Short of reburning image - any ideas?

3 weeks later
#1766 1 year ago

Just got the custom code up and running on our JP Pro last night on a separate SD card and it works great. I did notice however that everytime we switch from the Custom Code 1.03 back to the Original Code (IC) 1.05 that the Node boards perform an update. It all works fine but I'm wondering if there will be an issue updating the boards so frequently. I have young kids at home so I'd like to keep them on the OOTB code and then potentially switch in the evenings when my Wife and I want to play. Any thoughts on that?

#1767 1 year ago
Quoted from tokyo0709:

Just got the custom code up and running on our JP Pro last night on a separate SD card and it works great. I did notice however that everytime we switch from the Custom Code 1.03 back to the Original Code (IC) 1.05 that the Node boards perform an update. It all works fine but I'm wondering if there will be an issue updating the boards so frequently. I have young kids at home so I'd like to keep them on the OOTB code and then potentially switch in the evenings when my Wife and I want to play. Any thoughts on that?

Depending on the NVRAM or flash chips used, they can easily flash 10,000 to 400,000 times these days. I think you are safe...

#1768 1 year ago
Quoted from tokyo0709:

Totally fine. The node boards will be "updated" every time you switch SD cards/code.

Check out this project, I'm "playing" Stranger Things Premium/LE code on an Aerosmith Pro. All good. The node boards get flashed with whatever software is on the SD card.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stranger-things-cleland-sound-mod/page/13#post-7046325

1 week later
#1769 1 year ago

Son of a bitch, my machine set to auto update grabbed today's code and I installed it without thinking of the consequences. Stock audio/video again for me

The IC home team feature is great though!

#1771 1 year ago

Can't wait to see this updated for the new code release!

#1772 1 year ago

timlah79 got your ears on good buddy? LOL!!!

#1773 1 year ago

PSA: Please don't PM me asking for a 1.06 based version. An update is not only impossible at the moment but highly unlikely, that's all I can say. Thanks in advance for understanding.

2 weeks later
#1774 1 year ago

I asked my son what would you rather have custom code or IC. He said CUSTOM CODE, Smart kid. I am thinking of getting a second SD card because of home team and not needing the reader on every game. Sad to here it's not looking good for a update.

#1775 1 year ago
Quoted from sushko:

I asked my son what would you rather have custom code or IC. He said CUSTOM CODE, Smart kid. I am thinking of getting a second SD card because of home team and not needing the reader on every game. Sad to here it's not looking good for a update.

Good news! You can have both. You just wont be able to have the latest version that supports the new home team feature.

#1776 1 year ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Good news! You can have both. You just wont be able to have the latest version that supports the new home team feature.

What is the latest version with the movie sounds & video? I think I may have an old(er) version...

#1777 1 year ago
Quoted from scootss:

What is the latest version with the movie sounds & video? I think I may have an old(er) version...

1.05 and it supports IC.

#1778 1 year ago

I got a JP Pro on Friday, it had a usb and memory card in the coinbox. I put the memory card in yesterday which installed the movie code. Today I used the usb which updated the game to 1.05 but it has reset to original code.

How do I go back to movie code? timlah79 can you help?

#1779 1 year ago
Quoted from ELTANK01982:

I got a JP Pro on Friday, it had a usb and memory card in the coinbox. I put the memory card in yesterday which installed the movie code. Today I used the usb which updated the game to 1.05 but it has reset to original code.
How do I go back to movie code? timlah79 can you help?

You can’t “go back”. You need to get the movie code from Tim and write a new SD card.

Never ever update when you have custom code installed.

#1780 1 year ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

You can’t “go back”. You need to get the movie code from Tim and write a new SD card.
Never ever update when you have custom code installed.

Yeah I figured the error of my ways. I'll wait for Tim and rewrite the SD card when I have the code.

#1781 1 year ago

Tim was kind enough to set me up with code and I have a new sd card en-route from Amazon. In Tim's correspondence he states to use win32diskimager AND SD card writing software. Could someone clarify the process, as I assumed I could simply flash the card with win32.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: just flashed the image with win32diskimager and worked fine.

#1782 1 year ago

Just got my Pro set up yesterday, other than pinging Tim to gain access to the code and finding an SD card to put it on is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to find a way to downgrade the machine from 1.06 beforehand? Sorry for the beginner questions

#1783 1 year ago
Quoted from Megarush:

Just got my Pro set up yesterday, other than pinging Tim to gain access to the code and finding an SD card to put it on is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to find a way to downgrade the machine from 1.06 beforehand? Sorry for the beginner questions

The machine retains NONE of the operating software between power-cycles. When you swap the card and re-power, the entire machine reloads based on the card that is installed in the slot. If you swap the card again, it reloads entirely again. What that means is the machine is running 1.06 entirely because it has a 1.06 card installed. The machine can be powered off at any time, swap in the 1.05 card, and the machine reloads to 1.05, and then do the same to go back to 1.06.

#1784 1 year ago

PSA: With the release of JP 1.06 (and likely other IC supported version updates coming after), supporting custom A/V (Audio / Visual) for JP seems to have sadly reached its end. Please don't PM me asking for an update nor send me a new request. I won't respond. If you already have a modded version I worked on, please enjoy it. If your JP has IC hardware, you can experience all the cool IC stuff Stern is doing but you'll have to run stock code to have those benefits.

In the wise words of Ian Malcolm (from the original JP movie): 'You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you wanna sell it.'

If that's not a completely relevant, ironic Jurassic Park movie quote to the lack of original licensing for the JP pin, I dunno what is. I had to call that out, sorry. Please don't take me quoting that as if I know anything about what it takes to produce a pinball machine. It's simply sad to me that HUO owners are now unable to tweak their games to their liking and I do personally feel that JP licensing was "rushed out the door" if that makes sense. I also get it that times have changed. In general though, I think we all need to understand that licensing and licensors do have a huge bearing on what machines are able to be made. That bearing allows pin manufacturers to create new themed machines for us crazy pin folk to hold dear and enjoy. While I feel like Stern dropped the ball on JP movie content, I'm confident that will not be an issue in future games. I think Stern has been doing a great job since JP. Thankfully, the JP gameplay itself is frickin' amazing thanks to Elwin. Which is why I'll be keeping my JP for a while.

I'm glad the A/V work I've done on JP has made the game more enjoyable for you and your families. Thank you all for your kind words and sharing with me your sentiments and family stories. I've read and taken all to heart each and every message in more ways than you may know. Thank you for allowing me to get to know each and every one of you. It's messages you've sent, expressing joy and thankfulness, feedback, and everything in between which has made this almost 3 year saga worth pushing forward to improve and support version after version.

I guess this is basically a goodbye for now. Keep flipping my friends.

#1785 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

PSA: With the release of JP 1.06 (and likely other IC supported version updates coming after), supporting custom A/V (Audio / Visual) for JP seems to have sadly reached its end. Please don't PM me asking for an update nor send me a new request. I won't respond. If you already have a modded version I worked on, please enjoy it. If your JP has IC hardware, you can experience all the cool IC stuff Stern is doing but you'll have to run stock code to have those benefits.
In the wise words of Ian Malcolm (from the original JP movie): 'You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now you wanna sell it.'
If that's not a completely relevant, ironic Jurassic Park movie quote to the lack of original licensing for the JP pin, I dunno what is. I had to call that out, sorry. Please don't take me quoting that as if I know anything about what it takes to produce a pinball machine. It's simply sad to me that HUO owners are now unable to tweak their games to their liking and I do personally feel that JP licensing was "rushed out the door" if that makes sense. I also get it that times have changed. In general though, I think we all need to understand that licensing and licensors do have a huge bearing on what machines are able to be made. That bearing allows pin manufacturers to create new machines in the manner they should. While I feel like Stern dropped the ball on JP movie content, I'm confident that will not be an issue in future games. I think Stern has been doing a great job since JP. Thankfully, the JP gameplay itself is frickin' amazing thanks to Elwin. Which is why I'll be keeping my JP for a while.
I'm glad the A/V work I've done on JP has made the game more enjoyable for you and your families. Thank you all for your kind words and sharing with me your sentiments and family stories. I read and listen to them all. It's messages you've sent, describing happiness which has made this whole almost 3 year saga worth pushing forward to improve and support version after version.

I really enjoy the custom code. Thank you for the hard work you put in creating it!

#1786 1 year ago

Thanks for all your hard work Tim! I consider myself lucky enough to have gotten this code and I think about how much better it is every single time I play.

#1787 1 year ago
Quoted from timlah79:

If that's not a completely relevant, ironic Jurassic Park movie quote to the lack of original licensing for the JP pin, I dunno what is. I had to call that out, sorry. Please don't take me quoting that as if I know anything about what it takes to produce a pinball machine. It's simply sad to me that HUO owners are now unable to tweak their games to their liking and I do personally feel that JP licensing was "rushed out the door" if that makes sense. I also get it that times have changed. In general though, I think we all need to understand that licensing and licensors do have a huge bearing on what machines are able to be made. That bearing allows pin manufacturers to create new themed machines for us crazy pin folk to hold dear and enjoy. While I feel like Stern dropped the ball on JP movie content, I'm confident that will not be an issue in future games. I think Stern has been doing a great job since JP. Thankfully, the JP gameplay itself is frickin' amazing thanks to Elwin. Which is why I'll be keeping my JP for a while.
I'm glad the A/V work I've done on JP has made the game more enjoyable for you and your families. Thank you all for your kind words and sharing with me your sentiments and family stories. I've read and taken all to heart each and every message in more ways than you may know. Thank you for allowing me to get to know each and every one of you. It's messages you've sent, expressing joy and thankfulness, feedback, and everything in between which has made this almost 3 year saga worth pushing forward to improve and support version after version.

Hey Tim. Thank you so much for all the effort you've gone to, over the many different code versions we had on JP and having to deal with all the changes they made under the covers that made your work even more challenging. I've truly enjoyed them all from the original custom audio releases to the later A/V customisations - definitely a master piece that I'll continue to use and enjoy!

All the best mate

#1788 1 year ago

1.05 4 life!

Quoted from timlah79:

#1789 1 year ago

Thanks so much! No IC for my JP
That should be a t-shirt!
I wouldn’t give up this tweak masterpiece for anything.

#1790 1 year ago

Can anyone pm me a link to download please? Tim replied day Ng he won't send any links anymore.

#1791 1 year ago

This poses an excellent question, which I dont think Tim addressed in his post. If he is not supporting it any longer, does that mean people can distribute the code themselves to others (which before he forbid), or does he still want people who already have it to keep it to themselves?

Quoted from Eagle14:

Can anyone pm me a link to download please? Tim replied day Ng he won't send any links anymore.

#1792 1 year ago
Quoted from jedi42:

This poses an excellent question, which I dont think Tim addressed in his post. If he is not supporting it any longer, does that mean people can distribute the code themselves to others (which before he forbid), or does he still want people who already have it to keep it to themselves?

Once you have it, it’s yours to do with what you please.

#1793 1 year ago

I am still using tims 2.03 code if anybody has a link to tims 2.05 premium code that would be great

#1794 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

That's not what people agreed to before they were given the code.

#1795 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Coming from someone who disliked the code as well.

#1796 1 year ago
Quoted from finman2000:

That's not what people agreed to before they were given the code.

It was included when I bought my game from someone. It’s also advertised as a mod in everyone’s for sale ad.

Anyone can do whatever they want.

I have the latest version if anyone wants it and cannot get it.

#1797 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

It was included when I bought my game from someone. It’s also advertised as a mod in everyone’s for sale ad.

It's this kind of attitude that is a deterrent to the content creators of these type of projects.

#1798 1 year ago
Quoted from finman2000:

It's this kind of attitude that is a deterrent to the content creators of these type of projects.

Doesn't deter me. I have freely provided all my custom updates for many games.

When I give someone the link, file or mail an SD card to them, ummm...yeah it's theirs. Imposing restrictions or trying to enforce pirating of a pirated product (custom code using copywrited material) is a joke.

#1799 1 year ago
Quoted from finman2000:

This has to be the most ironic of ironies. Folks don't want their creation stolen, copied, and shared. Yet their "creations" are made with stolen, copied, and shared intellectual property.

Give us a freakin break with the self righteousness here.

#1800 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Quoted from PoMC:

Quoted from PoMC:

Doesn't deter me. I have freely provided all my custom updates for many games.
When I give someone the link, file or mail an SD card to them, ummm...yeah it's theirs. Imposing restrictions or trying to enforce pirating of a pirated product (custom code using copywrited material) is a joke.

If you had read the agreement provided by the developer, you would know he has a reasonable and legal answer to the issue of use of copywrited material. It most certainly was NOT "pirated". But, you wouldn't know this as you acquired this in a means against the explicit instructions from the developer. You also wouldn't know that the developer strictly and explicitly prohibits further distribution of his work, precisely because he's working within the legal framework of personal use of copywritten material. Finally, you wouldn't know that the user certifies they legally own this copywritten material as a condition of their obtaining his work for their own, personal use.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10,899.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Manalapan, FL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 37.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/36?hl=jmcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.