D3FF1994-B151-4969-BC89-FF02F08ED4ED.gif
FCDD9576-965B-4816-9805-00F11C7F05C0.gif
177C1B8F-F75D-4C5F-8A1F-FB3105AD3006 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
254587EE-B300-4F1F-8AC4-60D5654635B4 (resized).jpeg
568B1C96-9FE7-4CCA-AB3C-041E172964AC (resized).jpeg
80311210-1E14-4658-8A10-8C153E5E129A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

16 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 36.
#1751 80 days ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

It doesn't really matter if you are connected to the internet or not. If you swap SD cards that contain non-IC modified code and newer IC enabled code you shouldn't need to worry at all imo. There would need to be a mechanism in the hardware by which the IC enabled code could identify that a non-IC enabled modified SD card was used previously. And if they could do that, the IC enabled code could brick your machine, network or no network.

If they really want to stop modified code it would be easier for them to encrypt the SD card image and make it so the hardware would only run the encrypted images once you boot up with a newer version, if their current platform even supports that. I can't think of any reason they would go through the trouble because there's no financial incentive. Maybe if the licensors are giving them grief about it?

DirecTV could brick/loop hacked cards, and as the article mentions only went after the cards not the hardware itself. I'm told people would swap between hacked and non-hacked cards without detection, since nothing was flagged on the boxes. I'm guessing their estimates for the number of cards they took out with their big attack was based on the number of new subscribers right after that since they had no way of knowing otherwise.

I was going to quote and comment on each of these, but I just ended up at...I totally agree with you

#1752 80 days ago

Anything is possible, but if I were in the enforcement game, I would have a startup process that checks the data block locally.

Quoted from KSP1138:

It doesn't really matter if you are connected to the internet or not. If you swap SD cards that contain non-IC modified code and newer IC enabled code you shouldn't need to worry at all imo. There would need to be a mechanism in the hardware by which the IC enabled code could identify that a non-IC enabled modified SD card was used previously. And if they could do that, the IC enabled code could brick your machine, network or no network.
If they really want to stop modified code it would be easier for them to encrypt the SD card image and make it so the hardware would only run the encrypted images once you boot up with a newer version, if their current platform even supports that. I can't think of any reason they would go through the trouble because there's no financial incentive. Maybe if the licensors are giving them grief about it?
DirecTV could brick/loop hacked cards, and as the article mentions only went after the cards not the hardware itself. I'm told people would swap between hacked and non-hacked cards without detection, since nothing was flagged on the boxes. I'm guessing their estimates for the number of cards they took out with their big attack was based on the number of new subscribers right after that since they had no way of knowing otherwise.

I think the most tangible response to code modification to date has simply been advisory about the licensing. That satisfies the early stages of infringement, but would need more teeth if the issue gets out of hand. The IP holder could demand more enforcement or pull the license, but those are extreme next steps...

#1753 80 days ago

I'll be getting a newly built premium soon with IC pre-installed and probably 1.05. Will swapping SD cards between the 1.03/1.05 versions update the node boards to the proper firmware each time automatically? And I'm assuming that 1.03 has no issues with the IC node board being installed and just ignores it?

#1754 80 days ago
Quoted from KSP1138:

I'll be getting a newly built premium soon with IC pre-installed and probably 1.05. Will swapping SD cards between the 1.03/1.05 versions update the node boards to the proper firmware each time automatically? And I'm assuming that 1.03 has no issues with the IC node board being installed and just ignores it?

Yup, I swap between code versions on all my games and it will update the node boards as needed. No big deal.

1 month later
#1755 23 days ago

Dumb question, What size card will I need for the custom code guys? I Need to pick one up. All new to me, Thanks!

#1756 23 days ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Dumb question, What size card will I need for the custom code guys? I Need to pick one up. All new to me, Thanks!

This is the card that I use for all my Stern's that I am running with custom code. I have 4 and have never had any issues.

amazon.com link »

#1757 23 days ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

Needs to be at least 8GB (this is what Stern use and the custom code is the same size) and Class 10 or better

#1758 20 days ago

IMAC user.

Downloaded
Click on the file but, it will not UNZIP for anything. so I can use belenaetcher 1.5.76 to flash

Anyone know how to get this unzipped on a mac. I have looked back and using terminal kinda scares me. lol When he says "Brick your mac" lol

#1759 19 days ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

IMAC user.
Downloaded
Click on the file but, it will not UNZIP for anything. so I can use belenaetcher 1.5.76 to flash
Anyone know how to get this unzipped on a mac. I have looked back and using terminal kinda scares me. lol When he says "Brick your mac" lol

Infinitely easier if you can just access a PC somewhere somehow for it. Win32DiskImager works so much better than either Mac or PC version of BalenaEtcher, which is so flakey. Terminal isn't all that bad in a cut and paste way. I've had to do a lot of bits and pieces on my PC 'Hackintoshs' in Terminal over the years.

#1760 16 days ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

IMAC user.
Downloaded

Have to use terminal for it to work unfortunately. And it will take A LONG time for the whole process..

#1761 16 days ago

Most people overlook just using Pinball Browser itself to write the image to the SD card. Won’t help for Macs, but if you use Windows, keep it simple. Unlicensed PB allows writing images and it always works.

#1762 15 days ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

IMAC user.
Downloaded

The biggest red flag to where you're better off using a PC instead is when your Mac won't even unzip the file via the UI. Yes there are aforementioned ways to do so via the Terminal but then you get more issues down the line just trying to get to the final step of flashing via the known working, older belena etcher 1.5.76 version. Mac has some stupid permissions things that get in your way in tandem. At this point, I suggest just getting a hold of a Windows PC temporarily + snag a USB SD card writer and flash it there. Win32DiskImager or PBrowser's functions to flash (which are basically the same thing) are both flawless on a PC.

#1763 14 days ago

All good and installed guys! Thanks for the help. Windows was easy not one issue at all even my first attempt.
What a game!!! This code!!!!!! So much better!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Suamico, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 99.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com
Sale Pending! Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe, MI
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
There are 1,763 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 36.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!