D3FF1994-B151-4969-BC89-FF02F08ED4ED.gif
FCDD9576-965B-4816-9805-00F11C7F05C0.gif
177C1B8F-F75D-4C5F-8A1F-FB3105AD3006 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
254587EE-B300-4F1F-8AC4-60D5654635B4 (resized).jpeg
568B1C96-9FE7-4CCA-AB3C-041E172964AC (resized).jpeg
80311210-1E14-4658-8A10-8C153E5E129A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 37.
#1501 3 years ago

If Stern would produce a higher quality product we wouldn't have to resort custom code... I get why they are doing this... And if they brick my machine I'll only purchase JJP and Spooky machines in the future.

#1502 3 years ago
Quoted from Jecco74:

If Stern would produce a higher quality product we wouldn't have to resort custom code... I get why they are doing this... And if they brick my machine I'll only purchase JJP and Spooky machines in the future.

Well...yes and no. On JP, the animations and graphics are some of the best in recent years. Whoever did those (the guy that wears the mask all the time) did a phenomenal job. The problem here is they didn't pony up for the rights to the movie assets.

#1503 3 years ago

So basically once your machine is online enabled it's game over. Seems like we'll see a similar situation like we did with video games where modders stayed offline and everyone else online otherwise get banned.

Interesting.

#1504 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Well to connect your machine to the internet you will probably have to buy a Stern Wifi Dongle for $249 and get into a monthly subscription of $15. They update your machine when you do not want that, they track your games played, time played, like the chinese government, all which you have to agree to by signing the agreement for the use of their software.......so I keep this machine off the grid and happy with the code as is.

Agreed!!!.....no need for anymore updates...It's perfect.

#1505 3 years ago

"In view of the rights held by third-party owners of Authorized Content (e.g. music and video clips) You will not stream your gameplay of your Stern Pinball Machine without Stern Pinball’s prior consent."

Unless Stern are able to provide their consent in an easy process, this will be an issue for all the streamers out there ... I understand why they are doing this but hope that it doesn't adversely impact our hobby. It also means that you'll never see custom audio/video packages being streamed.

As for online updates, I wonder whether Stern are heading to only supporting online updates in the future??

#1506 3 years ago

While you all have valid points, I kindly ask that you move your discussion to a thread more appropriate to the EULA topic at hand, such as this one: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-s-new-eula

Much appreciated,

-Tim

#1507 3 years ago

Nevermind...figured it out.

Image 12-25-20 at 3.25 PM (resized).jpegImage 12-25-20 at 3.25 PM (resized).jpeg
#1508 3 years ago

A quick thank you to timlah79 once again for his incredible work on this. My grandson was playing JP tonight and was mesmerized by the clips on screen because it's his favorite movie. His ball kept draining because he couldn't take his eyes off the screen, but it created a magical moment for us and made Christmas that much better this year. So THANK YOU for all your hard work...and for making our holiday a little bit more special.

#1509 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Correct. I've done my best to provide 2 examples of how to do this without messing anything up, one with pictures and "callouts" LOL: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/21#post-5918130

Hey Tim,

Amazing work.

fyi...I was able to get this to work from my Mac (version 10.15.7) using balenaEtcher (version 1.5.76).

I tried using the Terminal commands described in the link above and failed (with the following command).

SteveNaiMac1514:Downloads snaroff$ sudo dd if=jurassic_park_le-1_03_0_39TS_D31_ORIG_END.raw of=/dev/rdisk2; sync
Password:
dd: /dev/rdisk2: Device not configured
345677+0 records in
345676+0 records out
176986112 bytes transferred in 2355.966774 secs (75122 bytes/sec)

Is there any reason you aren't advising people use balenaEtcher? Why do you say it's a "gamble" in the link above? Worked great for me.

Thanks again for your efforts on this!

#1510 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hey Tim,
Amazing work.
fyi...I was able to get this to work from my Mac (version 10.15.7) using balenaEtcher (version 1.5.76).
I tried using the Terminal commands described in the link above and failed (with the following command).
SteveNaiMac1514:Downloads snaroff$ sudo dd if=jurassic_park_le-1_03_0_39TS_D31_ORIG_END.raw of=/dev/rdisk2; sync
Password:
345677+0 records in
345676+0 records out
Is there any reason you aren't advising people use balenaEtcher? Why do you say it's a "gamble" in the link above? Worked great for me.

It used to work fine with just custom audio however when Tim and Delt started replacing the video quite a few people start having issues where during gameplay the machine would reboot. The issue is believed to be with balena etcher (people doing custom code for other machines hit the same issue) however not everyone using it was affected (or they didn't hit the particular issue during gameplay), so to avoid anyone having issues it was simpler to say don't use it to burn the SD card.

If you are interested in reading the various posts, you can simply search this thread for balena

#1511 3 years ago
Quoted from Manny65:

It used to work fine with just custom audio however when Tim and Delt started replacing the video quite a few people start having issues where during gameplay the machine would reboot. The issue is believed to be with balena etcher (people doing custom code for other machines hit the same issue) however not everyone using it was affected (or they didn't hit the particular issue during gameplay), so to avoid anyone having issues it was simpler to say don't use it to burn the SD card.
If you are interested in reading the various posts, you can simply search this thread for balena

Will do. Thanks for some of the background. I've only played a few games, but so far the balena etcher approached worked great (and it's what Stern uses for it's own SD card installs). Don't know why the lower level approach didn't fly for me...I'm pretty certain I followed the instructions carefully (and I have a technical background on Macs).

#1512 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Hey Tim,
Amazing work.
Password:
345677+0 records in
345676+0 records out

Probably because the majority of PC based users like myself have found Balena to be totally flaky on the PC side vs Win32DiskImager. Seems some have found it similarly problematic on the Mac side. Personally, I've not tested it on either my wife's iMac or the 'Hackintosh' side of my PC for comparison as once it's done on the PC there's no need.

#1513 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Will do. Thanks for some of the background. I've only played a few games, but so far the balena etcher approached worked great (and it's what Stern uses for it's own SD card installs). Don't know why the lower level approach didn't fly for me...I'm pretty certain I followed the instructions carefully (and I have a technical background on Macs).

I'm surprised that balena worked for you but happy it did. I don't know about the terminal error your received. My only guess is rdisk2 is not the SD partition on your mac or that you had a syntax problem or that you didn't do the unmount step first.

As far as balena not working with PC specifically, the issue is not specific to my work or JP. Take a stock JP 1.03 code, import a single video, try to flash it with balena on PC. I can guarantee that the result will be a continuous restarting game loop when the machine boots up. If for some miraculous reason it does work with Mac/PC, you're also running the risk of a restart during gameplay.

Why Mac balena works "sometimes" is beyond me. The above is why I say don't use balena if you're trying to leverage code with video assets. If only audio assets have been imported there's usually no issues at all. I dunno...

For good measure, for other Mac users who stumble upon this, I have two example sets of Terminal instructions here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/21#post-5918130

#1514 3 years ago

Well, the local lawmakers are lifting in-person dining and bars this Friday. My JP Pro is at a local bar, I'll be going tomorrow to check it out again and play it with the nonstandard upgrade thanks to Tim.

Happy New Year all!

#1515 3 years ago

Thanks Tim. Great work!!!

#1516 3 years ago

A perspective on how good this is.

My grand daughter at 18 months, would watch the ball on the playfield and Rex.
After Tims update, she watches the backbox more!!

Its THAT good, even a toddler can tell!

#1517 3 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

A perspective on how good this is.
My grand daughter at 18 months, would watch the ball on the playfield and Rex.
After Tims update, she watches the backbox more!!
Its THAT good, even a toddler can tell!

Hell..... Even BEELZEBOOB can tell the difference!

#1518 3 years ago

LMFAO! Love ya Boob!

#1519 3 years ago

My JP2 prem has been getting a lot of use & no issues at all w/ the new code. Burned SD card w/ Win32DiskImager & made sure I wS using a proper card.

Thanks again

1 week later
#1520 3 years ago

I’m tempted to go into Tim’s amazing code, and adding back in Trex Multiball!! It’s the only callout I miss.. oh and my hands down favorite callout it...
We got to see the dinosaurs droppings..
I laugh every time

#1521 3 years ago

just picked up a pro today and absolutely want to update with Tim's custom code. I'm not super tech savvy but I'm dangerous enough to get it done I think ha. all I need is a separate SD card and the link to the code?

#1522 3 years ago
Quoted from rwalters21:

just picked up a pro today and absolutely want to update with Tim's custom code. I'm not super tech savvy but I'm dangerous enough to get it done I think ha. all I need is a separate SD card and the link to the code?

Don’t be scared it’s super Easy and Tim provides a great guide. Read through this thread as well. If you can follow directions you can do this. Congrats on your pro!

#1523 3 years ago
Quoted from dimthedaylights:

Don’t be scared it’s super Easy and Tim provides a great guide. Read through this thread as well. If you can follow directions you can do this. Congrats on your pro!

I'm watching my Chiefs and searching thru the thread as we speak ha. thanks!

#1524 3 years ago
Quoted from rwalters21:

The safety net is: you always keep the original SDcard that came with the machine. It can always be reinstalled if something goes wrong.

That said, it’s quite easy if you have a factory fresh SDcard and follow the instructions.

#1525 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

The safety net is: you always keep the original SDcard that came with the machine. It can always be reinstalled if something goes wrong.
That said, it’s quite easy if you have a factory fresh SDcard and follow the instructions.

was able to follow instructions and got the custom code flashed to a new card and successfully loaded to my machine! what a great experience dealing with Tim and this amazing community. gonna dive in and donate for Tim's efforts this week! -Ryan

#1526 3 years ago

Asking for some advice....

The Pro JP I have could benefit from a better sound game.

I'm expecting to have to add a sub, an amplifier and probably upgraded upper speakers.

I do not want to hear about 'add pinsound' as it's overkill imo. I don't want a plug and play solution. Solutions are typically just high-cost reasons for not doing it right.

Is there a comb filter/amplifier/sub that someone has done themselves?

Share if you would, and thank you in advance.

#1527 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I'm expecting to have to add a sub, an amplifier and probably upgraded upper speakers.
I do not want to hear about 'add pinsound' as it's overkill imo. I don't want a plug and play solution. Solutions are typically just high-cost reasons for not doing it right.

Wrong thread.

#1528 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I added Pinsound to my Premium, far from overkill. Sound can be dialed in perfectly now. But yeah wrong thread just ask in the owners thread if you haven't already.

Added over 3 years ago:

Misinterpreted OP's post, was thinking PinWoofer's GT Spike 2 kit which is what I did with my JP2. Pinsound is totally N/A for this purpose.....

#1529 3 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

I added Pinsound to my Premium, far from overkill. Sound can be dialed in perfectly now. But yeah wrong thread just ask in the owners thread if you haven't already.

Thought it might be ok because of all the added sounds but yeah probably no Pinstadium for me.

#1530 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Thought it might be ok because of all the added sounds but yeah probably no Pinstadium for me.

Ask in the main JP forum, this thread is for the custom software sound pack created for JP, not for hardware tweaks or mods.

#1531 3 years ago

Because you can get moderated for being off topic

08FC0DD1-F263-476D-B07A-BE29975666F6.gif08FC0DD1-F263-476D-B07A-BE29975666F6.gif
#1532 3 years ago
Quoted from Green-Machine:

[quoted image]

It's ridiculous. Just happened to me. The best part of Pinside is when a thread goes off the rails, then circles back to the main topic. (Check out all the fried chicken discussion in Gouveia's WOZ mod thread.) Makes the site a little less entertaining without that, IMO.

But hey!...how's about that JP custom code??? That thing is KILLER!!!

#1533 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

It's ridiculous. Just happened to me. The best part of Pinside is when a thread goes off the rails, then circles back to the main topic. (Check out all the fried chicken discussion in Gouveia's WOZ mod thread.) Makes the site a little less entertaining without that, IMO.
But hey!...how's about that JP custom code??? That thing is KILLER!!!

I was absolutely shocked to see it happen!

#1534 3 years ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Is pinsound possible on Spike 2?

#1535 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

The board=No. But the Pinsound speaker kit probably yes.

#1536 3 years ago

[quoted image]

I think the point is, you'd be more likely to get an answer in the main forum.

#1537 3 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

I think the point is, you'd be more likely to get an answer in the main forum.

I understand! I just wanted to give the warning to some who don’t know about the rule of staying on topic. If you ever get moderated for it I’m sure you would find it quite shocking

#1538 3 years ago

I understand! I just wanted to give the warning to some who don’t know about the rule of staying on topic. If you ever get moderated for it I’m sure you would find it quite shocking

SAVE BEELZEBOOB!

#1539 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

SAVE BEELZEBOOB!

The boob version of the devil?!
I’m assuming that it what his name means lol

#1540 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

SAVE BEELZEBOOB!

The boob version of the devil?!
I’m assuming that it what his name means lol

These posts are off topic. Moderators?

#1541 3 years ago

......well I’m looking forward to getting better at playing this pin so I get an opportunity to see all the fantastic things added with this audio/video improvement

#1542 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

The board=No. But the Pinsound speaker kit probably yes.

Ok, luckily, it would have cost me money again. I used the flipper fidelity 10” in the cabinet. The LE has ok speakers in the backbox.

#1543 3 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

Ok, luckily, it would have cost me money again. I used the flipper fidelity 10” in the cabinet. The LE has ok speakers in the backbox.

I used to update speakers as well... Until I went to a fellow collectors house and heard what machines sound like when hooked up to an external sub. words can't describe it. Really...

Save your money. Get the Pinnovator external sub kits and their 4-way splitter/isolator. I have 6 games plugged into 2 X 12"external subs (go big on those).

Wow.. It's all I can come up with to explain it lol.

My dr who still has all original speakers but with the Pinsound board and an external sub I just can't see why I'd ever consider spending on speakers. Yes it makes that big of a difference. It's not just the thumping base. It just rounds everything out nicely.

MMr is crazy especially when starting castle multiball.. The base in that music/jingle is super intense.

The wildest difference is on my P2K machines, especially RFM. Blow your mind wild.

Ok to be on topic here the alternate audio is awesome with an external sub.

#1544 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

I used to update speakers as well... Until I went to a fellow collectors house and heard what machines sound like when hooked up to an external sub. words can't describe it. Really...
Save your money. Get the Pinnovator external sub kits and their 4-way splitter/isolator. I have 6 games plugged into 2 X 12"external subs (go big on those).
Wow.. It's all I can come up with to explain it lol.
My dr who still has all original speakers but with the Pinsound board and an external sub I just can't see why I'd ever consider spending on speakers. Yes it makes that big of a difference. It's not just the thumping base. It just rounds everything out nicely.
MMr is crazy especially when starting castle multiball.. The base in that music/jingle is super intense.
The wildest difference is on my P2K machines, especially RFM. Blow your mind wild.
Ok to be on topic here the alternate audio is awesome with an external sub.

As a fellow Canuck, which sub would you recommend?

#1545 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I got a Klipsch R-120SW when it was on sale at half price. My other sub was just leftover from my home theatre setup.

#1546 3 years ago
Quoted from Soulstoner:

I would say the most popular sub over the years by far has been the Polk Audio PSW10.

I got 5 of them when Amazon had them for $79ea.

I've got half a mind to hook my pins up to my dual drive VTF-15H MK2's just to see what my Metallica or Iron Maiden sounds like on them.

#1547 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Quoted from PeterG:

Misinterpretation on my part. PinWoofer is what I meant to say originally and perhaps what the OP was more thinking as Pinsound is 100% redundant on current Sterns. The PinWoofer kit works a treat with the Custom Audio.

#1548 3 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

I would say the most popular sub over the years by far has been the Polk Audio PSW10.
I got 5 of them when Amazon had them for $79ea.
I've got half a mind to hook my pins up to my dual drive VTF-15H MK2's just to see what my Metallica or Iron Maiden sounds like on them.

Correct. I have 5 of them myself. I was watching Amazon to get another one for my LZ...then saw the Klipsch price at Costco. For $40 more you go from 10" to 12" and a pretty good jump in quality as well. I would have stuck to the Polk if it had gone on sale, but at $130, the extra $40 for the Klipsch was a no brainer IMO.

#1549 3 years ago

I have a question about the sound mod - when starting the Nublar Challenge mode, I believe the sounds "whump whump whump" as the lights on the playfield travel through the destinations...

Seems to me that those sounds are meant to be 'dino steps', but instead of them coming from the subwoofer, they seem to be coming from the midrange speakers.

Is there a way to change that on my end? The 'dino steps' sound distorted as if they're playing through the wrong speaker, they're low cycle sounds and I would expect that the would be coming from the sub.

#1550 3 years ago
Quoted from Freakyguy666:

Get ready for Stern to release 1.04 tomorrow with a brand new Mode just to mess with Tim!

Please check your messages on the other forum that starts with the letter "a," I am in a rush to reach you because I am up against the clock to make a decision very quickly. I tried to PM you here but it won't let me. Just read the most recent one from username that starts with "Te" because the prior are mostly more outdated repeats of the same info.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place
Pinball Machine
$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 17.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 199.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Playfields
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 37.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.