New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 254211)

Stern Jurassic Park 2 Custom Audio Project

By hawkmoon77

12 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1,038 posts
  • 182 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by AndHart120
  • Topic is favorited by 185 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

things are looking up (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
3DF643C1-C861-4C51-A4F2-F0CB1462748E (resized).jpeg
20200824_222632 (resized).jpg
18C94494-4CFC-4DB4-8608-4E31C8D8C1B7 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1602379954278 (resized).jpg
Weekly Re-cap for Tim Stiles (resized).png
20201008_223056 (resized).jpg
jpmemeememememe (resized).png
jp-pro-new-code (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
stock vs. import details.PNG
E69F5DB1-23FB-46C6-BA39-0DFAC6B4C3A4 (resized).jpeg
33F367E2-96A5-4C11-9A6A-4C7206848E0C (resized).jpeg
D8A16F6B-8345-4FAD-ABF8-8D34D689F64C (resized).jpeg
41ZOOE4m9VL._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

13 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1038 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 21.
#1001 2 days ago
Quoted from gorditas:

I'm pretty sure that I've been able to release the ball prior to the video ending by holding both flippers.

I've fixed the duration and a PRO owner confirmed that all is well again. New version released: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/20#post-5914972

#1002 2 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Any last consideration of replacement of the two short clips used at the end of each ball, when rolling up achievements, the DNA Collected and Amber sequences are awkwardly cartoons. Surely a better video must exist?

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Have you watched the movie lately...? I think it's a great use of clips from the movie.
That being said, other options for amber would be when Hammond is holding up his cane and it zooms in on the mosquito, or when the miner finds the chunk and they all shine their headlamps on it and there are some PC screens when they are touring the lab I belive that may have something usable for DNA sequences.
The only feedback I have on the EOB screen is on the very last cut when it goes to zoom in on the JP name on the gate for a brief moment. I would rather lose that cut and just have it end with the gate closing after the explorer passes through with the wider shot of the gate. I think the last cut is not needed and is a little too abrupt.

"Real" amber movie scenes are already included in one place or another throughout amber targets, bonus, etc. The cartoon animations in the end sequence are from the Mr. DNA movie in well, the movie. Using those was me being creative and I personally like them. I did make some slight timing adjustments to the end sequence in this new version so at least Mr. DNA's head pops out of the dino egg in sync with the SFX drum: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/20#post-5914972

Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

The only feedback I have on the EOB screen is on the very last cut when it goes to zoom in on the JP name on the gate for a brief moment. I would rather lose that cut and just have it end with the gate closing after the explorer passes through with the wider shot of the gate. I think the last cut is not needed and is a little too abrupt.

This isn't a single video, it's actually 3 videos I have to meticulously piece together in time with the SFX. If you watch the stock you'll see the "same" thing in the attempted animation. Zoom out and in if you will. I chose that last "zoom in" from the movie b/c it's the only time in the movie that the JP gate's sign is "zoomed into." I agree with you but I'm not planning to change it.

#1003 2 days ago
Quoted from Huggers:

Wondering whether this awesome code has 'they're lethal at 8 months and I do mean lethal' or 'they remember'. Basically any Bob Peck and you can't go wrong imo.

I wish I could add 'they're lethal at 8 months and I do mean lethal'. Unfortunately it's about 4 seconds long and there are no existing callouts in the game that are nearly long enough to fit that instead. Most callouts are b/t 1.5-2.5 secs at best. 'They remember' is in there, it's a variation when you trigger Raptor triball.

#1004 2 days ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Amazing; I figured this may be "done"! In my testing so far the only thing I saw that *might* be a bug is not being able to skip the raptor ball lock animation? Not sure if that was skippable before, I am a new JP owner I admit!
Really impressed so far, my daughter is giving it a try.

FIXED! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/20#post-5914972

#1005 2 days ago
Quoted from Spaghetti73:

Good morning everyone I wanted to ask if who has the stern topper he could have some kind of problem maybe in the additional mode. thank you

The custom code is 1.02 based and IIRC the topper has been supported by 1.01 and 1.02. You should have no issues with the topper after installing this custom code.

#1006 2 days ago

Hey Tim - Really appreciate all of the hard work you put into this.. Quick question. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer the version before the video changes were added, but really love all the sound edits. Any chance you're keeping that branch of updates current with the sound changes you're making? Or should we expect any future support for this to always include the video updates? Thanks!

#1007 1 day ago

Thanks so much for your work on this, timlah79! This has taken an already great game to a new level.

#1008 1 day ago

Wish I woulda known to order a six pack of sd cards! New one coming on Tuesday!

#1009 1 day ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Hey Tim - Really appreciate all of the hard work you put into this.. Quick question. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I actually prefer the version before the video changes were added, but really love all the sound edits. Any chance you're keeping that branch of updates current with the sound changes you're making? Or should we expect any future support for this to always include the video updates? Thanks!

All future versions are planned to have video updates but your request makes sense. I'll make a latest audio assets only version and PM you.

#1010 1 day ago
Quoted from timlah79:

All future versions are planned to have video updates but your request makes sense. I'll make a latest audio assets only version and PM you.

Aw man - thank you! Donation incoming. Really appreciate the support!

#1011 1 day ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Aw man - thank you! Donation incoming. Really appreciate the support!

I just created both PRO and PREM/LE audio assets only versions. Just PM'd you. If anyone else is interested in this as well, please let me know.

#1012 1 day ago

Thank you again for doing this; I am just starting to test the newest "sound and video" version; really awesome work!

No issues so far.

#1014 1 day ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I just created both PRO and PREM/LE audio assets only versions. Just PM'd you. If anyone else is interested in this as well, please let me know.

Hey Tim - I'll grab the updated version of the audio only package as well. Will flick you a PM

#1015 1 day ago
Quoted from cait001:

oh I had no idea this wasn't available for the Pro

Just found your post about this. It is available for PRO now. PM me.

#1016 1 day ago

HELL YES, thank you timlah79 for your outstanding work !

#1017 1 day ago

I would like to thanks Timlah and other contributors too, it's just AWESOOOOME ! I've played my "new" customised JP Pro all this sunday !!
Many many thanks ! What an incredible work !

Can we propose here some ideas / suggestions ?

Thanks,
Best regards

#1018 1 day ago
Quoted from NeedaVirus:

Can we propose here some ideas / suggestions ?
Thanks,
Best regards

The guy said he's done for a while. He's already spent months on this. How about we enjoy what he's made and updated more than once and leave the man alone. Go back and read the 1017 posts and hopefully you will come to the same realization.

#1019 1 day ago

Where can I have the link ? Sorry but I dont find it. =(

#1020 1 day ago
Quoted from Ekymooz:

Where can I have the link ? Sorry but I dont find it. =(

There is no link.
send a PM to timlah79

#1021 1 day ago

I must fait 48hours ... I m new here =(

#1022 1 day ago
Quoted from Ekymooz:

I must fait 48hours ... I m new here =(

Small price to pay. It's worth the wait and 10x what you have paid for it.

#1023 21 hours ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Any chance you could elaborate on why you don't prefer this last version that just came out?

#1024 20 hours ago
Quoted from HectorCM:

Any chance you could elaborate on why you don't prefer this last version that just came out?

Of course! Honestly, it's just a personal preference. I can definitely appreciate the folks who like the videos added, but for my preferences, I just feel like they cross the line of too much customization. I find them more distracting than additive and I feel that the Stern animations are pretty good. Also, it's fairly noticeable that the video quality of the movie has not aged that well. I think the only ones that are excellent replacements are the opening scene when the helicopter is coming to the island, and the T-Rex event ones.

Edit: Oh, and the video at the beginning of the Control Room event. That one is one of my favorite transitions - nice job Tim & Delt.

#1025 14 hours ago

Since Balena Etcher is a NO GO for PC and a gamble for Mac I felt the need to post specific instructions for Mac users for flashing the custom code properly to their SD card using Mac's built in Terminal app. (Instructions gleaned from: https://osxdaily.com/2018/04/18/write-image-file-sd-card-dd-command-line/)

I have tested this method successfully but I take no responsibility if you brick your Mac.

1. Extract the .raw file from the .zip folder and note which folder it's been extracted to.

2. Plug the new SD card into your reader/writer

3. Open up the Terminal app

4. Navigate to the folder where you have the .raw file (i.e. type: cd Downloads)

5. type: diskutil list

Now you should see the disk # of your SD drive 2, 3, 4, etc.

This example assumes you are flashing jurassic_park_le-1_02_37TS_D31_ORIG_END.raw and your SD card came up as disk # 4 If not, replace that 4 with whatever number your SD card is and replace the filename accordingly.

6. Unmount the SD by typing: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4

7. Write to the SD by typing: sudo dd if=jurassic_park_le-1_02_37TS_D31_ORIG_END.raw of=/dev/rdisk4; sync

8. Hit enter and wait
There won't be any progress bar. Just wait 15-30 min. Once it's finished, the terminal app will show the blank prompt again. That's when you know it's done.

9. Pull the SD out and load it into your JP, keeping the coin door closed at start up.

NOTES:

• In between those steps you'll likely get prompted by your Mac to allow changes to permissions. I assume you know how to do this. It will want you to pull up some preferences and you'll need to click the unlock/padlock icon to unlock and allow for the permissions it needs.
  • You will likely get asked to enter your Mac's password. Enter it to continue.
  • Again, there won't be any progress bar at step 8. Just wait 15-30 min. Once it's finished, the terminal app will show the blank prompt again. That's when you know it's done.
#1026 13 hours ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Since Balena Etcher is a NO GO for PC and a gamble for Mac I felt the need to post specific instructions for Mac users for flashing the custom code properly to their SD card using Mac's built in Terminal app. (Instructions gleaned from: https://osxdaily.com/2018/04/18/write-image-file-sd-card-dd-command-line/)
I have tested this method successfully but I take no responsibility if you brick your Mac.
1. Extract the .raw file from the .zip folder and note which folder it's been extracted to.
2. Plug the new SD card into your reader/writer
3. Open up the Terminal app
4. Navigate to the folder where you have the .raw file (i.e. type: cd Downloads)
5. type: diskutil list
Now you should see the disk # of your SD drive 2, 3, 4, etc.
This example assumes you are flashing jurassic_park_le-1_02_37TS_D31_ORIG_END.raw and your SD card came up as disk # 4 If not, replace that 4 with whatever number your SD card is and replace the filename accordingly.
6. Unmount the SD by typing: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk4
7. Write to the SD by typing: sudo dd if=jurassic_park_le-1_02_37TS_D31_ORIG_END.raw of=/dev/rdisk4; sync
8. Hit enter and wait
NOTE: In between those steps you'll likely get prompted by your Mac to allow changes to permissions. I assume you know how to do this. It will want you to pull up some preferences and you'll need to click the unlock/padlock icon to unlock and allow for the permissions it needs.

Could a Mac user not just run a Windows VM, or is there some kind of hardware level issue?

#1027 13 hours ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

Could a Mac user not just run a Windows VM, or is there some kind of hardware level issue?

Good call! That is another option. I believe this to be a software level issue, not hardware. I don't see why Win32DiskImager wouldn't work in that manner, but I haven't personally tested it. Basically something about Balena Etcher and a firmware file that has any video in it causes the restart issue at startup. I have no clue why but like I've mentioned previously, I've taken stock 1.02, imported one video and BAM Balena on PC causes the startup restart loop. Thankfully I've fixed the in-game restarts. So if one loads up an SD with my latest and doesn't get a startup restart loop, they will not get an in-game restart either.

#1028 13 hours ago

Love the whole kit but the video version keeps restarting 1/5 games on my JP Premium. Even after new suggested sd card and following instructions to the letter...still keep getting restarts on t rex mb

Seems to only occur when I hit a good amount of shots around it starting...chaos letters, pteradon etc

#1029 12 hours ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Love the whole kit but the video version keeps restarting 1/5 games on my JP Premium. Even after new suggested sd card and following instructions to the letter...still keep getting restarts on t rex mb
Seems to only occur when I hit a good amount of shots around it starting...chaos letters, pteradon etc

very interesting to hear that. which version are you using?

#1030 12 hours ago
Quoted from Jeffswack:

Quoted from delt31:

very interesting to hear that. which version are you using?

Jeff was on 31TS_D31. He PM'd me after he posted and I just sent him the latest.

#1031 12 hours ago

Using this Mac method, after hitting enter (and in my case entering a password) will something pop up showing it is done? I think this took 15 minutes or so in Windows but this has been much longer.

#1032 11 hours ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Using this Mac method, after hitting enter (and in my case entering a password) will something pop up showing it is done? I think this took 15 minutes or so in Windows but this has been much longer.

Yes. There is no progress bar of any kind but the terminal will return to the prompt.

#1033 10 hours ago
Quoted from AndHart120:

Quoted from cabuford:

Yes. There is no progress bar of any kind but the terminal will return to the prompt.

Correct no progress bar and it's normal for it to take 15-30 min. Should be more on the 15 min side but it all depends on the speed of your writer, the SD itself, RAM, etc. Many variables. As long as you chose the right disk you're good.

I've clarified this in the key post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/21#post-5918130

#1034 10 hours ago

Hi Timlah =)

Thx for your great job...

I d like to try this improvment on my JP Pro .
Can you send me the file toi please ?

Have a nice Day

Matt

#1035 9 hours ago
Quoted from Ekymooz:

Hi Timlah =)
Thx for your great job...
I d like to try this improvment on my JP Pro .
Can you send me the file toi please ?
Have a nice Day
Matt

Yes I'm happy to. Please PM me.

#1036 9 hours ago

Ok , I must wait 24 hours more =D

I ll try your trick on Mac

#1037 8 hours ago

Thanks again Tim and Delt31 for your awesome job and numerous hours spent on this project.
i love it and couldn't go back to the stock version.
you should receive some PMs from France as more people are aware of your job.

#1038 2 hours ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Correct no progress bar and it's normal for it to take 15-30 min. Should be more on the 15 min side but it all depends on the speed of your writer, the SD itself, RAM, etc. Many variables. As long as you chose the right disk you're good.
I've clarified this in the key post: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/21#post-5918130

Thanks for clarifying this. I noticed you said new SD card. Maybe this is my problem. I have tried to use the existing SD card from the previous version. I followed the instructions exactly as written except that this was not a new SD card. After hitting enter I waited.....and waited....and went to bed. Some 6 hours later it looked the same. I pulled the card and I got an error that it was still writing. I have now tried following the directions a second time on a different Mac that is almost brand new. It has been over 30 mins and no change yet. Not sure what I am doing wrong unless it’s the fact the card is not new.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 1038 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside