Topic Stats

• 758 posts
  • 134 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 16 minutes ago by honkbahh
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

stock vs. import details.PNG
E69F5DB1-23FB-46C6-BA39-0DFAC6B4C3A4 (resized).jpeg
33F367E2-96A5-4C11-9A6A-4C7206848E0C (resized).jpeg
D8A16F6B-8345-4FAD-ABF8-8D34D689F64C (resized).jpeg
41ZOOE4m9VL._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2020-09-05 at 5.06.37 PM (resized).png
2020-07-31 10.29.10 (resized).jpg
20200704_231615 (resized).jpg
Jurassick Dark Cover25pct (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20200309_132939 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 758 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 16.
#701 6 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Have Stern ship me one and I'll get right on it.

Hmmm if we all pitch in

#702 5 days ago

Just saw the Jurassic World 3 trailer and I think the piano version of the theme song would be an amazing end game music replacement...

#703 5 days ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Just saw the Jurassic World 3 trailer and I think the piano version of the theme song would be an amazing end game music replacement...

Funny you should mention this. I already created a code version specifically per eightballtexas ' request that uses the piano end theme version at the end game... The one in the trailer sounds like a remake of it but yeah, I have an audio only version with that song if you want it. In fact, if you turn on attract sounds, the game will play it during attract mode both in the stock code and any of the customized ones. I was going to "hide" a new snippet of my song, Jurassick Dark (https://timstiles.bandcamp.com/track/jurassick-dark) in there since it's ironically the longest music file in the game but I haven't done that yet. That piano version (which I also sample in my song) is just too good to replace. I'd feel bad.

#704 5 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

For the T-Rex MB issues: I have not had any restarts or anything like that on my LE. However, while playing last night I noticed something I thought was different from a previous iteration delt31 sent me OR it's always been this way and I'm trippin': The "chomp chomp" the t-rex head lines up with the movie scene but then the "roar" comes a couple seconds after the actual t-rex head roars/opens his mouth (consistently). I'm wondering if that's related. i.e. perhaps the clip in there is too long tripping the game up sometimes as it tries to transition to another video. Just a suspicion and I pinged delt about that. Does anyone else notice the off-timing I described?

Sorry Tim, I've been busy last few days but yes I also noticed that too. I didn't think much of it as I didn't want to complain given the excellence of what you guys have done.

#705 5 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Funny you should mention this. I already created a code version specifically per eightballtexas ' request that uses the piano end theme version at the end game... The one in the trailer sounds like a remake of it but yeah, I have an audio only version with that song if you want it. In fact, if you turn on attract sounds, the game will play it during attract mode both in the stock code and any of the customized ones. I was going to "hide" a new snippet of my song, Jurassick Dark (https://timstiles.bandcamp.com/track/jurassick-dark) in there since it's ironically the longest music file in the game but I haven't done that yet. That piano version (which I also sample in my song) is just too good to replace. I'd feel bad.

That's awesome! I'd love that if you could PM me the link? Also, I wasn't aware there was a musical attract mode?? I just went through my settings and couldn't find it. Where can you enable it?

#706 5 days ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

That's awesome! I'd love that if you could PM me the link? Also, I wasn't aware there was a musical attract mode?? I just went through my settings and couldn't find it. Where can you enable it?

Just shared with you. The setting is something like ATTRACT LOOPS. Set some value to it.
EDIT: Sorry there are two settings in the GAME adjustments #62 ATTRACT DEV CREDITS -- This is the loop setting (I don't know exactly how that works). The one I meant is #63 ATTRACT DEV CREDITS MUSIC -- Turn that ON to hear the piano theme version during attract mode.

#707 5 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Just shared with you. The setting is something like ATTRACT LOOPS. Set some value to it.

What value would you select....this just gets better and better...

You Da Man!!

#708 4 days ago

PSA: Updated PREM/LE video + audio version 31TS now available

Scroll to the "added" part of this post at the bottom: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/12#post-5834474

#709 4 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Scroll to the "added" part of this post at the bottom: https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/12#post-5834474

Tim, silly question but how does one get access to the beta section of Pinside?

#710 4 days ago
Quoted from Our_Man_in_Oz:

Ack I shared a beta link again, sorry. I just fixed that. You need to PM "robin" to request access. I think the beta features are going to be fully live soon BTW. Cool notifications feature and probably more included that I don't know about.

#711 4 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Scroll to the "added" part of this post at the bottom: https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/12#post-5834474

Quoted from timlah79:

Ack I shared a beta link again, sorry. I just fixed that. You need to PM "robin" to request access. I think the beta features are going to be fully live soon BTW. Cool notifications feature and probably more included that I don't know about.

Ok no worries. In all honestly, unless I want to race to sort it tonight or tomorrow, I'll probably not be playing much next few days. So if the beta feats are going live soon it prob won't matter much to me

#712 4 days ago

Downloading 31TS now. Before I jump into going from 29TS to 31TS, any thoughts on its stability?

#713 4 days ago

Went from 30TS to 31TS installed here and no issues. Fantastic mod.

#714 4 days ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Downloading 31TS now. Before I jump into going from 29TS to 31TS, any thoughts on its stability?

My install went well earlier today. Not seen any issues, and no Trex crash this time

#715 4 days ago

I installed 31TS this morning and played a few games and so far so good as far as the TRex crash goes! I already see some nice additions over the last release. Thanks Tim and Delt!

#716 4 days ago

The imaging tools essentially ZERO the card since they write the entire block on top of anything that is already there. What they do is drop the entire image down to the card, starting at the first byte. Think of the imaging tool as a bucket of paint that gets thrown on the floor. Doesn't matter what was on the floor previously, its all going to be covered with a coat of paint. (The software V29 or V31 is the 'paint')
I am pretty sure it is the IMAGE itself that is corrupted, and I suspect that either a bug in PB is causing this, or the person specifying where to put a piece of data (audio or video) is mistaken on the starting point or the size of the data block. If a data block is too big, it could easily overwrite code.

Ya I know that I'm just trying to figure out why I don't have any issues and other folks are and I was thinking that part of it was my workflow. Before every single image I go into DiskUtility and wipe the SD card first before I open Etcher. I'm on Catalina

#717 4 days ago
Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

Ya I know that I'm just trying to figure out why I don't have any issues and other folks are and I was thinking that part of it was my workflow. Before every single image I go into DiskUtility and wipe the SD card first before I open Etcher. I'm on Catalina

I thinking it has more to do with the actual shots your are making, which is triggering parts of the code and/or pieces of the data to be accessed which other people may not be using. So your SDCARD may have the same bugs in it, but you are not hitting those based on how you play the machine (Or how you have some of the audio settings setup). I truely do NOT think this is a memory-card type/format/reading/writing error. The same bugs exist, you just don't see them because you don't use that function or feature or sound or video clip...

#718 4 days ago

A version for the pro is planned?

#719 4 days ago
Quoted from playcubeman:

A version for the pro is planned?

Delt said that the video version is for the premium/LE only, and as of now, no plans to do this for the pro.

#720 4 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I installed 31TS this morning and played a few games and so far so good as far as the TRex crash goes! I already see some nice additions over the last release. Thanks Tim and Delt!

Bad news. I had another freeze up and reboot when running the latest 31TS code on my PNY sdcard. I did get a new SanDisk ultra 16gb card in the mail today that I'll try out.

#721 4 days ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Bad news. I had another freeze up and reboot when running the latest 31TS code on my PNY sdcard. I did get a new SanDisk ultra 16gb card in the mail today that I'll try out.

I'm so sorry. I wasn't confident that anything would change on this front but I was trying to be hopeful. Again, these are not video additions/edits I made. Until a good sign of Balena Etcher via PC flashes without initial game restarting loops, I think there's going to be a problem for some people. By chance when you entered T-rex MB did you see what looked like the wrong video? i.e. did you see some raptor MB video instead? Another pinsider asked me about that and I have NOT seen that at all. Currently on my LE with 31TS I see the right movie "chomp" then in time with the t-rex head motion, the movie t-rex "roar" consistently.

AFAIK Only PREM owners have had this issue. If you have an LE and have had this specific t-rex MB restarting game issue, please chime in. Technically PREM and LE code *should* the same for JP. PRO is a whole different beast though and obviously not supported with these video edited versions at this time.

If anyone could set up a camera to record and show what's on screen when this restart happens, that may get us closer to the root cause. I know that's a PITA if it's not consistent but I cannot reproduce this issue on my LE.

I thinking it has more to do with the actual shots your are making, which is triggering parts of the code and/or pieces of the data to be accessed which other people may not be using. So your SDCARD may have the same bugs in it, but you are not hitting those based on how you play the machine (Or how you have some of the audio settings setup). I truely do NOT think this is a memory-card type/format/reading/writing error. The same bugs exist, you just don't see them because you don't use that function or feature or sound or video clip...

You could be onto something here markharris2000 ... Time will tell. Now, what I suppose I could do is also share my own settings (from that save to USB function) and have those with this problem load up/overwrite theirs for troubleshooting and see if the restarts stop. But again I think I'll need some video footage of these issues in order to figure it all out.

#722 3 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I'm so sorry. I wasn't confident that anything would change on this front but I was trying to be hopeful. Again, these are not video additions/edits I made. Until a good sign of Balena Etcher via PC flashes without initial game restarting loops, I think there's going to be a problem for some people. By chance when you entered T-rex MB did you see what looked like the wrong video? i.e. did you see some raptor MB video instead? Another pinsider asked me about that and I have NOT seen that at all. Currently on my LE with 31TS I see the right movie "chomp" then in time with the t-rex head motion, the movie t-rex "roar" consistently.
AFAIK Only PREM owners have had this issue. If you have an LE and have had this specific t-rex MB restarting game issue, please chime in. Technically PREM and LE code *should* the same for JP. PRO is a whole different beast though and obviously not supported with these video edited versions at this time.
If anyone could set up a camera to record and show what's on screen when this restart happens, that may get us closer to the root cause. I know that's a PITA if it's not consistent but I cannot reproduce this issue on my LE.

You could be onto something here markharris2000 ... Time will tell. Now, what I suppose I could do is also share my own settings (from that save to USB function) and have those with this problem load up/overwrite theirs for troubleshooting and see if the restarts stop. But again I think I'll need some video footage of these issues in order to figure it all out.

I haven't installed the latest yet (am in the process now), but I've only experienced the T-Rex MB freeze + reboot, and I think it was because I was trying to double-flipper-rush through the clip to get into the play. 9/10 times, I've sat and watched, and haven't had the problem. I think that was the only time I've tried to rush it, and that was when it bugged out. Don't know if that'll be helpful, but figured I'd mention I'm on a Premium, by the by!

#723 3 days ago

I've got the newest code ready to install, but curious which install option (i.e. full and verify?) is recommended.

#724 3 days ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I've got the newest code ready to install, but curious which install option (i.e. full and verify?) is recommended.

It sounds like you are trying to install this via USB. That will not work. I'm pretty sure I sent you the flash to SD instructions? I've copied them again below.

INSTALLING
You will need to...
a) Have an extra SD card on hand (*DO NOT* overwrite your existing/stock SD card in your machine!)

b) Unzip / extract the .RAW file from the .ZIP file before flashing

c) Know how to flash the .RAW file to an SD card using an SD card reader and *Win32DiskImager* software (PC). Instructions and these required tools are outlined on Stern’s website here: https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

- PC USERS: Stern recommends Balena Etcher but for some unknown reason this video customized version only works when using *Win32DiskImager* (for PC): https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
- When browsing for the .RAW file, change the dropdown to search all files (*.*) since this program looks for .IMG files by default.

- MAC USERS: Unfortunately Win32DiskImager is only supported for Windows/PC. If you only have a Mac, you’re stuck using Balena Etcher. It has worked for many but not all Mac users. Please consult the forums if you run into issues.

d) Run through the post-installation audio setting adjustments (copied again below).

IMPORTANT: Audio related settings to check post install are below -- especially the Ohms settings must be changed to 8 Ohms.

All your settings and scores will likely be wiped. Instructions on how to save and restore these via USB: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/10#post-5782782

AFTER Installing:
- Change any game related settings back that you had edited before installation.

- Check your audio settings. Sometimes installing new code will change your BACKBOX SPEAKER setting to 4 Ohms. This should be set to 8 Ohms. Verify and adjust this via UTILS -> VOLUME -> BACKBOX SPEAKER TYPE -> 8 Ohms.
*TURN THE VOLUME DOWN FIRST* to around 12 or less since flipping this will boost the volume.

- If you use outboard audio equipment (i.e. using a PinSUB mod to output audio to external speakers), I recommend you disable the preset EQ. By default it is set to High/Low Shelf. Go to UTILS -> VOLUME -> You should see High/Low Shelf -> Change this to None.

- Play with turning the JP SYSTEM FAILURE SPEECH on/off to hear other opening paddock callout variations vs. the long scripts that play when it’s on. More about that in my post here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/5#post-5698006

#725 3 days ago

I've got it loaded up on an SD card as instructed. I am just looking for instructions on how to load game code via SD since I've never done it before...I only have experience doing so via USB.

#726 3 days ago
Quoted from per3per3:

I've got it loaded up on an SD card as instructed. I am just looking for instructions on how to load game code via SD since I've never done it before...I only have experience doing so via USB.

Turn off the machine. Open the back box up and in the center you’ll see the current SD card sticking out a bit. Push down on it and it will eject. Pull it out and save it. Put the new one in and push down until it locks. Close the back box. Turn on the machine.

#727 2 days ago
Quoted from mcvetyty:

Turn off the machine. Open the back box up and in the center you’ll see the current SD card sticking out a bit. Push down on it and it will eject. Pull it out and save it. Put the new one in and push down until it locks. Close the back box. Turn on the machine.

Haha...seems straight forward. I didn't realize that there wasn't an install procedure like when loading from a usb

#728 2 days ago

timlah79 delt31 im on the latest audio/visual custom package 31, and just had the game reboot in two games back to back after starting T-Rex Multiball :/ Will be reverting back to the latest audio-only, and will keep an eye on if the reboot gets figured out for the audio/video package! Here’s to hoping; having those video clips is HUGE!

#729 2 days ago
Quoted from zeldarioid:

timlah79 delt31 im on the latest audio/visual custom package 31, and just had the game reboot in two games back to back after starting T-Rex Multiball :/ Will be reverting back to the latest audio-only, and will keep an eye on if the reboot gets figured out for the audio/video package! Here’s to hoping; having those video clips is HUGE!

We're still trying to figure this out. Thanks for your patience.

#730 2 days ago
Quoted from timlah79:

We're still trying to figure this out. Thanks for your patience.

Absolutely! Just wanted to give you data that I had experienced it with the latest version

#731 2 days ago

Just out of interest, this is the Lexar 8gb SD I used which has worked well so far.

E69F5DB1-23FB-46C6-BA39-0DFAC6B4C3A4 (resized).jpeg
#732 2 days ago

Just got my premium
Today installed latest video/audio code with terminal on a Mac. No issues

#733 2 days ago
Quoted from zeldarioid:

Could you share which SD card you are using?

#734 2 days ago

If the crashes and reboots were occuring at random points throughout the games, the problem could more easily be attributable to the quality of the card and its read/write speeds, etc. But when the problems occur essentially at the same point that the system is accessing a specific piece of video data, it is starting to look like the problem is either 1) the block of code is not valid in the binary image. Data and code may be set on incorrect boundries due to a bug in PB, or 2) The type or size of data being read is incompatible with ther rest of the system. i.e. the video clip is making their decoder crash. perhaps a subtle V.264/V.265 issue?

Complicated to explain the two scenerios above without a ton of software details, but this is feeling to me more and more unrelated to the card quality or the mechanism used to write the card. I beleive in most folks cases mentioned above (where the system successfully boots to the first screen), the card *IS* written properly, but the video clip is being decoded improperly, or the video codec in use by Stern is struggling with the format of the clip in certain memory available conditions, or the video is overwriting actual code, or other even more difficult to find problem.

#735 2 days ago

If the crashes and reboots were occuring at random points throughout the games, the problem could more easily be attributable to the quality of the card and its read/write speeds, etc. But when the problems occur essentially at the same point that the system is accessing a specific piece of video data, it is starting to look like the problem is either 1) the block of code is not valid in the binary image. Data and code may be set on incorrect boundries due to a bug in PB, or 2) The type or size of data being read is incompatible with ther rest of the system. i.e. the video clip is making their decoder crash. perhaps a subtle V.264/V.265 issue?
Complicated to explain the two scenerios above without a ton of software details, but this is feeling to me more and more unrelated to the card quality or the mechanism used to write the card. I beleive in most folks cases mentioned above (where the system successfully boots to the first screen), the card *IS* written properly, but the video clip is being decoded improperly, or the video codec in use by Stern is struggling with the format of the clip in certain memory available conditions, or the video is overwriting actual code, or other even more difficult to find problem.

Of course this is possibly true, but the card is the most variable thing machine to machine, and if more data is requested from the card at that moment in time it could be a read issue. Plus it is the easiest issue to test, and the recommended card is $6! It would be great to rule it out!

#736 2 days ago

I’m using the recommended Sandisk 16gb. No issues thus far.

#737 2 days ago
Quoted from honkbahh:

Of course this is possibly true, but the card is the most variable thing machine to machine, and if more data is requested from the card at that moment in time it could be a read issue. Plus it is the easiest issue to test, and the recommended card is $6! It would be great to rule it out!

Exactly!!!! We need to start ruling out variables. The cards, the clips themselves, the game settings, the sequences before it happens, the sequences while it happens.

One reminder: there does not appear to be any crashes for the AUDIO-ONLY software modification. Seems like a bunch of folks are successfully running 26TS or 29TS (the AUDIO-only version) on the various cards they have, without crashes. Am I correctly remembering this? if so, this would seem to rule out the card. (BUT, then again there is a long shot that the hardware SD card reading hardware system used by Stern on the main CPU BOARD has no problem with Stern's originally supplied low-resolution video clips which may be highly compressed, but when reading new higher resolution video clips, the hardware may struggle, resulting in instability of the entire system)

Anything that rules out a variable will make this easier to track down.

#738 1 day ago

Exactly!!!! We need to start ruling out variables. The cards, the clips themselves, the game settings, the sequences before it happens, the sequences while it happens.
One reminder: there does not appear to be any crashes for the AUDIO-ONLY software modification. Seems like a bunch of folks are successfully running 26TS or 29TS (the AUDIO-only version) on the various cards they have, without crashes. Am I correctly remembering this? if so, this would seem to rule out the card. (BUT, then again there is a long shot that the hardware SD card reading hardware system used by Stern on the main CPU BOARD has no problem with Stern's originally supplied low-resolution video clips which may be highly compressed, but when reading new higher resolution video clips, the hardware may struggle, resulting in instability of the entire system)
Anything that rules out a variable will make this easier to track down.

markharris2000 Yes you are correct in that any of my audio only edited versions have never had this or any similar issue. It's only the video edited version(s).

I did some testing just now and am dumbfounded by the results:

Using:
- A known, working SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - 90MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, SD Card - SDSDUNR-032G-GN6IN
- Balena Etcher on PC
- A copy of my latest audio only edited, proven to not have issues, NO videos touched whatsoever.

1) Using PB video import (the first option with conversion) > import an intro video to a video location that is known to work with the latest video edits code
NOTE: This is the intro fly in and I first exported the stock video to check the duration. While my customized intro is 00:26, the stock file is 00:23. However with that said it's worked fine for me and many others at that slightly extended duration. In summary at this point I don't think "duration" is an issue.

2) Save and flash that code to SD using PC Balena Etcher

RESULTS:
GOOD!: SD loads without any initial restart loop
BAD!: Upon starting a new game, the video that plays by default before you hit start freezes and game restarts OR game / video screen just freezes.

3) Make a new copy of my latest audio only edited, proven to not have issues version

4) Using PB video import (the first option with conversion) > import the same intro video aka step # 1

5) Save and flash that code to SD using PC Win32DiskImager

RESULTS: ALL GOOD! SD loads without restart loop and game starts and plays my custom intro video without issue.

I am still so clueless at this point as to what is going on here. I can only think that A) Duration of an uploaded video doesn't matter, B) That there must be something different in the way Balena vs. Win32 flashes when there are video changes involved, and C) That there may be something going on with the conversion PB does or with how JP in particular handles custom video when it's custom.

If it helps here's a detailed screenshot side by side of each .mp4 files exported from stock, custom video created, and exported custom video.

From left to right...

1) Stock video exported from PB
2) My custom video I created with iMovie
3) An export of #2 from PB (after I imported # 2 to that same # 1 location)

For # 3 I do see a difference in Total bitrate and Frames per second. The PB import (using conversion) is supposed to correct this and I think it's supposed to match (stock) # 1 but I'm not sure. Perhaps the fact that PB isn't adjusting the Frame rate properly is to blame for all of this??

I suppose the next thing I'll try is to convert # 2 to 30fps prior to uploading. Wanted to at least share these findings for you/those who understand this video stuff better than I do.

stock vs. import details.PNG

#739 1 day ago

Etcher never produced a functional card for me, either on a Mac or Windows 10 VM. Using the Mac command line and DD worked just fine, and is what I usually use to burn images (ISOs, etc) because I’ve had problems with Etcher burned images before.

I vaguely remember Etcher having a problem when an image ends on byte bondaries that produce a fractional sector. That would lead to inconsistencies between images, but the user population’s experience for each version should be the same, so this doesn’t seem to fit the problem.

#740 1 day ago
Quoted from timlah79:

markharris2000 Yes you are correct in that any of my audio only edited versions have never had this or any similar issue. It's only the video edited version(s).
Using:
- A known, working SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - 90MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD, SD Card - SDSDUNR-032G-GN6IN
- Balena Etcher on PC
- A copy of my latest audio only edited, proven to not have issues, NO videos touched whatsoever.
1) Using PB video import (the first option with conversion) > import an intro video to a video location that is known to work with the latest video edits code
NOTE: This is the intro fly in and I first exported the stock video to check the duration. While my customized intro is 00:26, the stock file is 00:23. However with that said it's worked fine for me and many others at that slightly extended duration. In summary at this point I don't think "duration" is an issue.
RESULTS:
BAD!: Upon starting a new game, the video that plays by default before you hit start freezes and game restarts OR game / video screen just freezes.
3) Make a new copy of my latest audio only edited, proven to not have issues version
4) Using PB video import (the first option with conversion) > import the same intro video aka step # 1
RESULTS: ALL GOOD! SD loads without restart loop and game starts and plays my custom intro video without issue.
I am still so clueless at this point as to what is going on here. I can only think that A) Duration of an uploaded video doesn't matter, B) That there must be something different in the way Balena vs. Win32 flashes when there are video changes involved, and C) That there may be something going on with the conversion PB does or with how JP in particular handles custom video when it's custom.
If it helps here's a detailed screenshot side by side of each .mp4 files exported from stock, custom video created, and exported custom video.
From left to right...
For # 3 I do see a difference in Total bitrate and Frames per second. The PB import (using conversion) is supposed to correct this and I think it's supposed to match (stock) # 1 but I'm not sure. Perhaps the fact that PB isn't adjusting the Frame rate properly is to blame for all of this??
I suppose the next thing I'll try is to convert # 2 to 30fps prior to uploading. Wanted to at least share these findings for you/those who understand this video stuff better than I do.
[quoted image]

Wow Tim, you're really putting in the hard yards to sort this one out. Thank you for all your tireless effort in firstly creating the custom audio and now distributing and troubleshooting the video version. It is an outstanding effort!!!

#741 1 day ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Using:
- Balena Etcher on PC
RESULTS:
From left to right...
[quoted image]

Its starting to feel a lot like a decoding issue based on using more complicated video clips. Frame rates and video codec encoding/decoding differences may be part of the root problem. Encoding is done during the authoring, so PB and other tools are involved. And then to decode this more complicated video, it takes more CPU and memory to do so. ("Complicated" in this note means the rate of image change and the level of detail in each frame) Not exactly knowning the architecture and real-time Operating system of the Stern CPU main board, I can only venture that this higher CPU&memory resource demand for decoding these newer video clips from the movie may be causing a problem.

#742 1 day ago

Its starting to feel a lot like a decoding issue based on using more complicated video clips. Frame rates and video codec encoding/decoding differences may be part of the root problem. Encoding is done during the authoring, so PB and other tools are involved. And then to decode this more complicated video, it takes more CPU and memory to do so. ("Complicated" in this note means the rate of image change and the level of detail in each frame) Not exactly knowning the architecture and real-time Operating system of the Stern CPU main board, I can only venture that this higher CPU&memory resource demand for decoding these newer video clips from the movie may be causing a problem.

That said, how can this account for the fact that some folks aren't experiencing the issue and others are? That's the confusing component considering that we're all running off of the same stern CPU. This would indicate that the variable that does differ between us, the SD card, could be the culprit. I don't know too much about SD cards, but would think that read/write speeds are a non-fixed variable across different types/brands?

Does the issue only occur when trying to skip the video or in general when reaching T-Rex multiball? Does it occur with any other swapped videos? I'd assume that all of the videos were taken from the same source and have the same resolution just different file sizes based on length...no? Perhaps, if it's only this one video and all others work, that the particular file was somehow corrupted? Not sure, just throwing something out there for discussion as I'd love to get this 100% working as so many owners would love to have this on their machines!!!!

#743 1 day ago
Quoted from per3per3:

That said, how can this account for the fact that some folks aren't experiencing the issue and others are? That's the confusing component considering that we're all running off of the same stern CPU. This would indicate that the variable that does differ between us, the SD card, could be the culprit. I don't know too much about SD cards, but would think that read/write speeds are a non-fixed variable across different types/brands?
Does the issue only occur when trying to skip the video or in general when reaching T-Rex multiball? Does it occur with any other swapped videos? I'd assume that all of the videos were taken from the same source and have the same resolution just different file sizes based on length...no? Perhaps, if it's only this one video and all others work, that the particular file was somehow corrupted? Not sure, just throwing something out there for discussion as I'd love to get this 100% working as so many owners would love to have this on their machines!!!!

It could be the amount of free memory at the specific point in time that a clip is played, and the available resources at that moment, which is affected greatly by the sequence of clips that have played previously which varies from player to player, and game to game. Most operating systems leak memory over time. Even a Windows PC has less available free memory after 2 days of usage versus when you first reboot it. Applications and drivers get loaded and consume memory over time. Operating system designers include a bunch of 'housekeeping' routines in the operating system itself which try to free up this stranded memory which is not really needed.

My thought is that decoding certain hi-resolution or action intensive clips may require more resources, and depending on what resources are available at the MOMENT of decoding, it may cause other critical system services to run out of memory, and fail. THis is just a theory, and if true, MUCH harder to resolve since the hardware itself is fine... (including the SDCards)

#744 23 hours ago
Quoted from Manny65:

Wow Tim, you're really putting in the hard yards to sort this one out. Thank you for all your tireless effort in firstly creating the custom audio and now distributing and troubleshooting the video version. It is an outstanding effort!!!

I don't think I've ever heard the term, "hard yards" but I like it (and am going to steal that from you sorry)!

The install process is hard enough as is even when it works. I just want people to be able to enjoy the experience without hiccups. And of course my troubleshooting mind won't let this go. Perhaps I'm being too nice? LOL

#745 23 hours ago

It could be the amount of free memory at the specific point in time that a clip is played, and the available resources at that moment, which is affected greatly by the sequence of clips that have played previously which varies from player to player, and game to game. Most operating systems leak memory over time. Even a Windows PC has less available free memory after 2 days of usage versus when you first reboot it. Applications and drivers get loaded and consume memory over time. Operating system designers include a bunch of 'housekeeping' routines in the operating system itself which try to free up this stranded memory which is not really needed.
My thought is that decoding certain hi-resolution or action intensive clips may require more resources, and depending on what resources are available at the MOMENT of decoding, it may cause other critical system services to run out of memory, and fail. THis is just a theory, and if true, MUCH harder to resolve since the hardware itself is fine... (including the SDCards)

Per my post where I can reproduce yet a different but similar issue with a single video import (https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/15#post-5855669) I'm leaning toward a conversion issue with PB. PB is supposed to convert any uploaded video to the specs the game expects. It is not doing that precisely as far as I can tell. Again, this is just my suspicion and it will require much more testing on my part to confirm. With that said and how you point out "why?" do some machines have the issues vs. others don't is solid. Man, I am at a loss. You must be right on the aspects you pointed out... Time will tell. I'll keep testing.

#746 23 hours ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Per my post where I can reproduce yet a different but similar issue with a single video import (https://beta.pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/15#post-5855669) I'm leaning toward a conversion issue with PB. PB is supposed to convert any uploaded video to the specs the game expects. It is not doing that precisely as far as I can tell. Again, this is just my suspicion and it will require much more testing on my part to confirm. With that said and how you point out "why?" do some machines have the issues vs. others don't is solid. Man, I am at a loss. You must be right on the aspects you pointed out... Time will tell. I'll keep testing.

I feel like we are trying to thread a needle while wearing boxing gloves. Without the assistance of Stern engineering, using PB and most of the other things that are being applied to their code is a struggle and creating a partially obscured result. We can only see the accuracy of what was done by NOT seeing crashes. We can't really verify the code itself... just the observable operation effects of using the new code (and any crashes or hiccups that may be seen)

I know we will find the answer, but lots of trial and error required. And PB is the wildcard because we trust it is doing the conversions and placements properly. That said, it sure feels like software to me, not hardware.

#747 22 hours ago

Why not send somebody that is having trouble a working sd card with it all set up and see if it the reset happens again on there machine. That way you can see if the problem is the SD card and the way they are flashing the image on the card.

#748 22 hours ago

It's not the card I am sure of it. I had a reset the first day the code came out. It's been a few weeks now and it hasn't happened since. I am sure it's a specific sequence of events.

I have yet to install the newer version that came out a few days ago.

#749 22 hours ago

I have just placed an order for a JP Prem...and just looking through this and it sounds amazing. Question.... can the game itself be damaged etc by playing with the SD card etc...??

#750 21 hours ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

I have just placed an order for a JP Prem...and just looking through this and it sounds amazing. Question.... can the game itself be damaged etc by playing with the SD card etc...??

No.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
There are 758 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 16.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside