D3FF1994-B151-4969-BC89-FF02F08ED4ED.gif
FCDD9576-965B-4816-9805-00F11C7F05C0.gif
177C1B8F-F75D-4C5F-8A1F-FB3105AD3006 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
254587EE-B300-4F1F-8AC4-60D5654635B4 (resized).jpeg
568B1C96-9FE7-4CCA-AB3C-041E172964AC (resized).jpeg
80311210-1E14-4658-8A10-8C153E5E129A (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

This topic is closed.

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 37.
#651 3 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

The latest code with the movie videos is just about the greatest MOD ever. Love it!

For those that have installed the custom audio plus video, are you still experiencing bugs like the trex multiball one mentioned earlier in this thread? I really want this, but kinda want to wait until the bugs have been ironed out.

#652 3 years ago

I have been using the latest audio/video code for several days. I haven't had any bugs or the T-Rex multi-ball glitch. I'd say I've played about 30 games or so.

#653 3 years ago

I have a Mac and it did not work for me on Etcher, it would go into the reboot cycle. So I downloaded a Windows Emulator and used the windows related programs and it worked! I have played over 50 games on it and have had zero (knock on wood) problems. It's perfect, and amazing and I can not recommend highly enough.

#654 3 years ago
Quoted from per3per3:

For those that have installed the custom audio plus video, are you still experiencing bugs like the trex multiball one mentioned earlier in this thread? I really want this, but kinda want to wait until the bugs have been ironed out.

I have been using the code for a few days and have had the T-Rex multi ball crash once out of 20+ games. I am using the SD card mentioned a few posts ago. The game does slow for me during start of t-Rex multiball most times. The other T-Rex encounters are fine. The video is great! Really is what the game should have been from the start. I have had just the one bug. I am using a new SD for just audio and video+audio so I can always go back.

#655 3 years ago
Quoted from aaron6920:

I have been using the code for a few days and have had the T-Rex multi ball crash once out of 20+ games. I am using the SD card mentioned a few posts ago. The game does slow for me during start of t-Rex multiball most times. The other T-Rex encounters are fine. The video is great! Really is what the game should have been from the start. I have had just the one bug. I am using a new SD for just audio and video+audio so I can always go back.

Same experience for me. Happened once in about 15 games. Other encounters are fine.

#656 3 years ago
Quoted from Bos98:

I just wrote the image to a brand new Sandisk 16GB card and verified it without issue using Balena Etcher on Mac OS Catalina 10.15.16.

If on Mac, what did you use to flash and verify if not Balena Etcher?

#657 3 years ago

Hello everyone, Timlah sent me the update this weekend and I can only congratulate him. He did a great job. In my case, I didn't have any voice lag when starting the game when John was speaking. It's great work and it totally changes the game play. Thanks Timlah

#658 3 years ago

I've been running the new code (Audio+Video) and must say it's perhaps the single most game changing mod I've seen on any pinball. It's fantastic. I've also just had the machine hang at the point in the T-Rex multiball where the kids are pressing against the glass roof of the car. As this is the only place where there is a bug it would seem a real shame to view this as a reason to abandon the video + audio version as they both work fantastically in all other respects. Has anyone any idea what is causing this isolated bug in the T-Rex multiball so a fix can be created?

#659 3 years ago

For the T-Rex MB issues: I have not had any restarts or anything like that on my LE. However, while playing last night I noticed something I thought was different from a previous iteration delt31 sent me OR it's always been this way and I'm trippin': The "chomp chomp" the t-rex head lines up with the movie scene but then the "roar" comes a couple seconds after the actual t-rex head roars/opens his mouth (consistently). I'm wondering if that's related. i.e. perhaps the clip in there is too long tripping the game up sometimes as it tries to transition to another video. Just a suspicion and I pinged delt about that. Does anyone else notice the off-timing I described?

#660 3 years ago

Just checking code mod status at this point... Tim's original V29 audio-only upgrade code is solid. No bugs detected by anyone on this thread. The combined V31 audio+video update has a few bugs, some minor and rarely seen, but none the less, still there.

Is this accurate?

#661 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

For the T-Rex MB issues: I have not had any restarts or anything like that on my LE. However, while playing last night I noticed something I thought was different from a previous iteration delt31 sent me OR it's always been this way and I'm trippin': The "chomp chomp" the t-rex head lines up with the movie scene but then the "roar" comes a couple seconds after the actual t-rex head roars/opens his mouth (consistently). I'm wondering if that's related. i.e. perhaps the clip in there is too long tripping the game up sometimes as it tries to transition to another video. Just a suspicion and I pinged delt about that. Does anyone else notice the off-timing I described?

Yes; I have noticed this every time. That said, I feel like this might have been an issue since before the video was added to the mix, but I can't recall now. Either way, yes! The T-Rex chomping occurs in sync (or within nanoseconds of synced, which is just fine!), but then the pinball Rex makes its roaring motion w/ no audio to back it up, and a few seconds afterward, the audio (+ video now) does the roar and the shaker motor goes.

#662 3 years ago

Awesome work Tim! Loving all the new callouts! vids from delt is icing on the cake! what an incredible mod you guys have created. The only callout that does not seem to fit IMO is the "didnt...say the...magic word" for the countdown. I know that is a bummer because you have said previously that you really like it and was kinda hard to implement. Thanks again for the countless hours you have devoted to this!

#663 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

Just checking code mod status at this point... Tim's original V29 audio-only upgrade code is solid. No bugs detected by anyone on this thread. The combined V31 audio+video update has a few bugs, some minor and rarely seen, but none the less, still there.
Is this accurate?

Accurate AFAIK. I had never heard of a random re-start or a restart loop prior to the V31 audio+video version (or I'm forgetting but I feel like I'd remember that).

#664 3 years ago
Quoted from VindictiveX:

Awesome work Tim! Loving all the new callouts! vids from delt is icing on the cake! what an incredible mod you guys have created. The only callout that does not seem to fit IMO is the "didnt...say the...magic word" for the countdown. I know that is a bummer because you have said previously that you really like it and was kinda hard to implement. Thanks again for the countless hours you have devoted to this!

It does take some getting used to and I know not everyone is going to like it. But it's grown on me, maybe it will grow on you!? In the future (after we surpass these current issues) I'll make a separate version with the stock countdown instead if enough people want that.

#665 3 years ago

** UPDATE ** I just had a system crash a few seconds after feeding T-REX. The machine just went black and restarted.... first issue since installing V31. It seemed like it happened right after the TREX "chomp" video sequence if that helps any. I'll setup my camera and see if I can get video of it happening for troubleshooting purposes.

#666 3 years ago
Quoted from wolfievtec:

** UPDATE ** I just had a system crash a few seconds after feeding T-REX. The machine just went black and restarted.... first issue since installing V31. It seemed like it happened right after the TREX "chomp" video sequence if that helps any. I'll setup my camera and see if I can get video of it happening for troubleshooting purposes.

1. Could you also share your sd card info and the program you used to burn the sd card?
2. If you have another sd card handy, could you burn it and give that one a shot?

#667 3 years ago
Quoted from wolfievtec:

The more I hear about the circumstances of these crashes, the more it feels like a PB problem. It feels like PB is not respecting the code/data boundries, and allowing data to be written on top of code. (I think this comes with the territory of working with binary files, rather than source code and re-compiles...)

#668 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Same experience for me. Happened once in about 15 games. Other encounters are fine.

Just happened a 2nd time for me in the same Trex spot. I might have to roll back to the audio only version unfortunately.

#669 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Another piece of info that may help for those getting reboots / restarts at T-Rex MB. Please note:

a) Do you have a PREM or an LE?
b) What method/app did you use to flash to SD (Mac or PC + Balena Etcher or Win32DiskImager)?
c) What is the model and size of your SD card?
d) Did you get any errors during the flashing process? If so, what were they?

#670 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Another piece of info that may help for those getting reboots / restarts at T-Rex MB. Please note:
b) What method/app did you use to flash to SD (Mac or PC + Balena Etcher or Win32DiskImager)?

My game is a Premium manufactured June 2020
I used Win32DiskImager on Win 10 PC
Its a PNY 16GB card (pic below]
No errors during flash process

I could give this another try and overwrite the stock Stern card and see if it makes a difference. Thanks!

41ZOOE4m9VL._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpg41ZOOE4m9VL._AC_SY400_ (resized).jpg

#671 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

Tim, in all honesty I seriously doubt it's the card or the flashing program at this point. We are all crashing at exactly the same spot. The evidence points to a problem with the code itself. delt31 needs to double check his video entries for that spot to ensure he respected the parameters of the original videos...

Or.. just to make sure it's the videos, do you have an audio version that is EXACTLY the same as the one with the added videos? Some of us could play that lots to see if we can trigger the crash.

#672 3 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Tim, in all honesty I seriously doubt it's the card or the flashing program at this point. We are all crashing at exactly the same spot. The evidence points to a problem with the code itself. delt31 needs to double check his video entries for that spot to ensure he respected the parameters of the original videos...
Or.. just to make sure it's the videos, do you have an audio version that is EXACTLY the same as the one with the added videos? Some of us could play that lots to see if we can trigger the crash.

I think you're right as far as there being general issues with this code version. However, there could be a PREM vs. LE handling of it that I'd like to find out as I have not had this issue on my LE. No, unfortunately I don't have any other video versions beyond what delt sent me. I am unable to import video due to a likely related but different PB problem on my PC. I only have my stable audio only versions which have never had this problem.

#673 3 years ago

guys - I'm going to replace the trex MB screaming video (where it says TREXMB) with the original and see if that fixes it. I need to make a few more updates based on some other feedback (for better placement).

I have never seen this issue but in version 2, it will be adjusted. Hopefully that resolves it.

#674 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

guys - I'm going to replace the trex MB screaming video (where it says TREXMB) with the original and see if that fixes it. I need to make a few more updates based on some other feedback (for better placement).
I have never seen this issue but in version 2, it will be adjusted. Hopefully that resolves it.

Thanks Delt! Can't wait to try out version 2.

#675 3 years ago
Quoted from timlah79:

I think you're right as far as there being general issues with this code version. However, there could be a PREM vs. LE handling of it that I'd like to find out as I have not had this issue on my LE. No, unfortunately I don't have any other video versions beyond what delt sent me. I am unable to import video due to a likely related but different PB problem on my PC. I only have my stable audio only versions which have never had this problem.

I have an LE and have had it happen. The first time we got to TREX MB with the new code. It rebooted by itself and it hasn't happened since. There has to be some random thing that happens occasionally with a different callout or video being triggered.

#676 3 years ago

Hey guys, thought I’d give another data point. Premium owner here and have not had the restart happen.

Win32diskimager Using Windows 10
Sandisk 32 Gig card class 10

It seems slow to skip the video when t-Rex multiball is achieved using a double flip, which I usually do to get on with playing, not sure if that is an actual clue or a red herring.

Anyway, love this project, wife does too except she plays worse because she drains while watching the videos, haha.

#677 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Brilliant. I think a version with a modification just at the T-Rex multiball is the way to go. Not sure what other feedback you are incorporating but I have one that may or may not be on your list. When the gear changing chase event happens and Jeff Goldbloom is sitting in the back of the car, his audio and the video seem totally out of sync, and because the audio and the video are the same clip, its very noticeable. Other than that, the video+audio project is sensational

#678 3 years ago
Quoted from RikV:

Hey guys, thought I’d give another data point. Premium owner here and have not had the restart happen.
Win32diskimager Using Windows 10
Sandisk 32 Gig card class 10
It seems slow to skip the video when t-Rex multiball is achieved using a double flip, which I usually do to get on with playing, not sure if that is an actual clue or a red herring.
Anyway, love this project, wife does too except she plays worse because she drains while watching the videos, haha.

thanks. I have the same sandisk except 16gb. Never had an issue.

Has anyone had this issue using the Sandisk XGB class 10? I still think this has to do with the SD card itself but I will inject the original file to play it safe.

#679 3 years ago

Sandisk 16 here and no issues thus far!

#680 3 years ago

I have a Premium JP. My SD Card is a Lexar Pro 633x. 32GB. I used Win32diskimager with Windows 10. Verified with no errors.

#681 3 years ago

Only issue I’ve seen is some slight artifacts on the brown door of Jurassic Park that I don’t remember previously. I’ll try to get it in pics. White dots on the door.

33F367E2-96A5-4C11-9A6A-4C7206848E0C (resized).jpeg33F367E2-96A5-4C11-9A6A-4C7206848E0C (resized).jpegD8A16F6B-8345-4FAD-ABF8-8D34D689F64C (resized).jpegD8A16F6B-8345-4FAD-ABF8-8D34D689F64C (resized).jpeg
#682 3 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

Only issue I’ve seen is some slight artifacts on the brown door of Jurassic Park that I don’t remember previously. I’ll try to get it in pics. White dots on the door.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I see this too. Also have experienced the crash same spot as everyone else.

Sandisk 16GB card. Flashed on Mac using VMware and WinDisk32 and also tried on Mac side using Balena. Same results.

#683 3 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

That’s stock video - didn’t touch that.

#684 3 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

Yeah, I believe that is normal.

#685 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

thanks. I have the same sandisk except 16gb. Never had an issue.
Has anyone had this issue using the Sandisk XGB class 10? I still think this has to do with the SD card itself but I will inject the original file to play it safe.

I just ordered the SANDisk card you recommended with 1 day shipping so I can try it tomorrow to see if it solves the issue.-provided version 2 isn't released by then.

#686 3 years ago

LE owner here, on SanDisk ultra 16gb card, used Windows with win32diskimager. No issues with the install, direct ok, no node board updates etc. Only settings are gone, played 2 games both trex multiball. No issues. Looks great. Such a huge improvement. Thanks for all the work! Will be testing more this weekend.

#687 3 years ago

Tried v31 of audio+video on a prem and it goes into a boot loop. First time the display said LE, then on reboot it said PRE. Subsequent boots all say PRE.

Using a PHY 16gb class 10. Tried Bella on Mac first, then Bella on Windows with the same result. Both verified. I may try one more time using good old DD.

Edit: DD on a Mac worked.

#688 3 years ago

Does anyone know for sure if the STERN CPU board reads the entire SDCARD into memory at boot-up, or does it R/W to the SDCARD throughout gameplay and normal operation? If the former, then the type of SDCARD card has MUCH LESS effect on this situation. If the latter, then the card performance will make a difference.

Based on the boot times I see, the system seems to be R/W directly to the card during normal operations, which means the card R/W specs matter.

#689 3 years ago

I'm wondering if the SD cards simply need to be zero'd out before imaging. Seems like some kind of alignment issue.

#690 3 years ago
Quoted from JediMcMuffin:

I'm wondering if the SD cards simply need to be zero'd out before imaging. Seems like some kind of alignment issue.

The imaging tools essentially ZERO the card since they write the entire block on top of anything that is already there. What they do is drop the entire image down to the card, starting at the first byte. Think of the imaging tool as a bucket of paint that gets thrown on the floor. Doesn't matter what was on the floor previously, its all going to be covered with a coat of paint. (The software V29 or V31 is the 'paint')

I am pretty sure it is the IMAGE itself that is corrupted, and I suspect that either a bug in PB is causing this, or the person specifying where to put a piece of data (audio or video) is mistaken on the starting point or the size of the data block. If a data block is too big, it could easily overwrite code.

#691 3 years ago

Guys - while I work towards v2, for now I've injected the original mb intro video back into the updated code for those who have had resets to check out.

Tim has the new link to the code so please reach out if interested.

Thanks

#692 3 years ago

An idea just popped in my mind while reading these last few posts: there is a setting for "allow fast boot" in the menu. Is it possible that the changes between code are causing the system to be looking for components in slightly different locations? If this were the case, I'd imagine that you would need to change this menu item before upgrading, so that SPIKE does a full clean boot from the start with the new code.

#693 3 years ago

I'm anxiously awaiting a fix for this reboot issue as I'm super excited to get this loaded up!

Thanks to Delts and thanks again to Timlah for your efforts in pushing this already killer game through the f'ing roof!

#694 3 years ago

Played JP with the code for 2 hours. No issues. Plays perfect. Only sometimes movie and speech is not completely in sync but only minor things. The whole looks great. Now if i only could play better.

#695 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guys - while I work towards v2, for now I've injected the original mb intro video back into the updated code for those who have had resets to check out.
Tim has the new link to the code so please reach out if interested.
Thanks

Correct. PM me if you are someone having T-Rex MB game restarts or other odd issues with the video edited version and I'll link you to this version. Alternatively, I do still have the latest audio edits only versions available.

delt31 I did want to point out that this version still requires use of Win32DiskImager if using Windows. I tried with Balena and got the initializing game restart loop. But perhaps for Mac users with Balena this one will be more successful. Flashing afterwards to that same SD with Win32 worked. I'm using the SanDisk Ultra 16GB Class 10 SDHC UHS-I Memory Card up to 80MB/s (SDSDUNC-016G-GN6IN) here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0143RTB1E

#696 3 years ago

I did a full format (not quick) on my stock SDCard that came with the game and so far after 20+ games I haven't had any Feed Trex resets. I'll keep on playing but its an encouraging sign vs the other card I tried that had 2 resets in 20 games.

#697 3 years ago

Thank you both for this enhancement- simply fantastic. Puts this title over the TOP!!

Followed instructions to the letter - no issues using new Sandisk SD 32gb

I’m curious what folks are finding as the sweet spot in music/speech settings so far to balance hearing the callouts.

#698 3 years ago

Tim really need you and Delt to do the new Avengers IQ pin!!!!

That would be awesome. No hurry I don’t pic it up for a couple weeks.....kidding....I know how much time you’ve invested.

#699 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Thank you both for this enhancement- followed instructions to the letter - no issues.
I’m curious what folks are finding as the sweet spot in music/speech settings so far to balance hearing the callouts.

Great to hear (pun intended!)! It definitely depends on your setup. For me I have a PinSUB board outputting to 2 powered speakers and a subwoofer. The most important thing to do (which I imagine you have already) is to make sure both Volume/Speaker settings for Ohms are both set to 8 Ohms, not 4 Ohms. I have bumped (compressed) the heck out of the movie callouts and music .WAV files beforehand since the stock callouts in particular are recorded incredibly loud and I need to align with what the machine expects. But with that said, not all custom callouts or music are created equal per se. For custom callouts specifically, those where I had less background noise to filter are going to sound "louder". Remember we're battling b/t 1993 audio from boom mics and 2019 vocal booth recorded actors. For music we're talking live orchestra recordings that may not be mastered at the same level/quality as the music they pulled from the movie. There's of course the bass and treble aspect. For example the raptor MB ready music is hecka loud. That's b/c a) it has less bass and b) the game "decided" to play that music loud. On the other hand the T-Rex modes play the music quieter for some reason, but I also feel like the game "limits" volume on sounds/music that have bass heavy drums/basslines (which those do IIRC).

In any case, the game chooses the end all volume to play sounds at any given time. It also depends on what else is going on at the time of a callout/music. If there are music and FX going on when a callout is played, you're not gonna hear it as well (the game is "mixing" in real time). And note that if you change the attenuation for either music or speech you're going to be affecting stock and custom sounds.

I feel that in general the game favors loud callouts and quieter music. So for me, I've set the EQ to NONE, simply changed the MUSIC attenuation to -10 (negative means make it louder), and have left the SPEECH at 0. But again, I'm speaking to an outboard audio set up, not the pin speakers. I have those playing as well and I try to balance the volume of my external speakers and sub to match the output of the stock speakers. If you're saying you're not hearing the callouts loud enough, do the opposite or find a happy medium.

I wouldn't go too crazy in either attenuation direction. You could also play with the 10-band EQ but I EQ things via my powered speakers' EQ settings.

#700 3 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

Tim really need you and Delt to do the new Avengers IQ pin!!!!
That would be awesome. No hurry I don’t pic it up for a couple weeks.....kidding....I know how much time you’ve invested.

Have Stern ship me one and I'll get right on it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
Machine - For Sale
Sunbury, PA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, NJ
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 49.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
JURASSIC PARK PRO Pre-order!
The Pinball Place

There are 1,822 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 37.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-jurassic-park-2-custom-code-project/page/14?hl=brickbuilder14 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.