• Latest reply 6 years ago by dEviant
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C6BAEF5F-630B-442C-A17B-FB4CD61A9DC3 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

OK so the Lord of the rings comes up and plays just fine. But the color DMD never moves off this screen. Color DMD working. So what causes this issue?

C6BAEF5F-630B-442C-A17B-FB4CD61A9DC3 (resized).jpegC6BAEF5F-630B-442C-A17B-FB4CD61A9DC3 (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Try resetting the ribbon cable connectors.my LOTR has done that a little in the last few years an resetting the connectors seems to do the trick, I have just a standard dmd though.

#3 6 years ago

About to give up on color DMD in this particular machine. I know it’s not colored DMD fault but it does get old. Seems like color DMD and this machine doesn’t like each other. Spider-Man does the same type of things but Stern said it’s a software issue and turning the machine off and back on and that seems to fix it. Not on this one.

#4 6 years ago

I have the exact same problem. I also have a color DMD on my LOTR. For about the last 1-2 months the start up has done the exact same thing. It never wants to move past the *Stern Pinball* and progress to the prior score display.

#5 6 years ago

I've found colordmd to have excellent support. Did you contact them? There is no reason this shouldn't work just fine. Why give up?

Quoted from wdpvideo:

About to give up on color DMD in this particular machine. I know it’s not colored DMD fault but it does get old. Seems like color DMD and this machine doesn’t like each other. Spider-Man does the same type of things but Stern said it’s a software issue and turning the machine off and back on and that seems to fix it. Not on this one.

#6 6 years ago

Randy,

Has great support but this is the second DMD put in and the same thing happens. It’s not a Color DMD issue.

#7 6 years ago

My LOTR has the LE code and has never had a single issue like this. (shaker, PAL chip etc)

#8 6 years ago

I see you have a tspp, have you tried swapping the dmd controller boards between games to rule out controller board. If you move everything to tspp, do you get stuck on same screen or does everything work? I just installed color dmds on both these games last week and they work as they should. I run 10.02 code.

#9 6 years ago

I’ll check the game code that is running. I think I have an extra dmd controller as well.

#10 6 years ago

The game code shouldn’t matter I don’t think. I’d do the swapping with tspp.

#11 6 years ago

I had the color dmd installed on my LOTR LE and never an issue....

#12 6 years ago

Does anyone have a COLORDMD LED installed in an LOTR? I’m hoping there’s no problems with this as I just bought an LOTR and I pulled the colorDMD LED out of my BSD to put in it. As far as I know, all I need is the SAM/ Whitestar installion kit to make it work. It will have 10.0 code.

#13 6 years ago

I have zero problems with Color DMD in LOTR — it’s on route, in competitions, a PAPA circuit event, it’s perfect.

I’ve had a really bad problem, still unsolved, of a similar nature with DE Star Wars. But LOTR has been great.

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from wdpvideo:

OK so the Lord of the rings comes up and plays just fine. But the color DMD never moves off this screen. Color DMD working. So what causes this issue?

Mine had that issue too. Unplug your PotD mod.....fixed it for me. Not sure what that mod is doing to the 12v, either drawing too much power or adding an unwanted signal.

#15 6 years ago

LOTR is working fine again. I added PinStadium lights and the game went haywire. GIs shut off, constant reboot. However, it didn't take long to figure out. That 12v here, and 12v there, eventually lead to 12v nowhere. 12v for the topper, 12v for the colorDMD, 12v four pin stadium lights, not including mods that pull the 5v. And the game just freaked out. But after a simple installation of a power supply and an hour and boom were up and going again. I'm sure the pinball boards are overly excited to be able to breathe again. Anyway, thanks for all of your recommendations it really pushed me to look further and further. ColorDMD working like a champ.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from yonizzell:

Does anyone have a COLORDMD LED installed in an LOTR? I’m hoping there’s no problems with this as I just bought an LOTR and I pulled the colorDMD LED out of my BSD to put in it. As far as I know, all I need is the SAM/ Whitestar installion kit to make it work. It will have 10.0 code.

I have. It looks absolutely gorgeous, and I've never had any issues.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 8.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.50
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RGP Models

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

€ 7.50
$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

9,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-issue-lotr?hl=bork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.