you-are-poor-500x349.jpg
sg2014070232057.gif
Yacht 2007 delivery 2.jpg
Yacht 2007 delivery.jpg
titanic.jpg
image-822.jpg
boat.jpg
alrighty.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#51 9 years ago

Stern has been re-running games since forever. They ran TSPP over a 6 year period, LOTR over a 6 year period. It has happened before and it'll happen again. Nothing new.

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

If they cared about their own wallet they would think long term. They would see that the collectibility of pins isn't just a good thing for them ... it's a great thing. But they're stifling (if not killing) the very thing that has caused a pinball revival ... collecting. I'm done buying NIB ... if that's good for Stern's wallet then good luck.

#73 9 years ago

You bought a toy NIB and now you can't sell it for what you paid after using it for a while. What did you think would happen?

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

I'm done buying NIB.

#78 9 years ago

Yes.

Quoted from Apollyon:

Pinball games are not investments. If people were buying games as investments they were dumb, plain and simple. These are not 401Ks or RRSPs. They are GAMES TO PLAY and should be bought as such.

I buy NIB games because I can afford it, I like a warranty, the NIB experience is an awesome one, and its nice to have something that is brand new. If someone wants to save a bit of money, buy a used one. But NIB purchasers should buy knowing that they are buying an asset that is very unlikely to appreciate. With pins, you are getting an asset that likely will not tank in value, but it likely won't go up either.

As others have said, why should people expect Stern to let 3rd parties make big profits on their games? They should make the money! They put the effort into them.

Plain and simple - buy games to play and have fun. Sell them if you don't like them down the road and take a small loss. Consider it the cost of getting to play pinball whenever you want. Then buy another one if you like. This is not the end of the pinball market. Just an adjustment of profits from hoarders and collectors back to Stern. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

Its analogous to the purchase of a car - generally a horrible experience. Especially for a new one. But an experience that many still like if they can afford it.

I already own IM and I am thrilled that others out there can get to have the awesome experience of owning it if they so choose.

#98 9 years ago

One time once, I was. Usually I buy used, for this very reason. I took my hit when I sold my NIB, but I expected it.

Quoted from CraZ4Pin:

If you're fine buying NIB only to have Stern make more of your game a couple years with enhanced quality and features (thus drastically cutting the value of your game) , then great!! Keep buying. I need someone to bite the bullet so I can pay 50% of MSRP a couple years later.

#496 9 years ago

And to think. It wasn't long ago we were worried about pinball disappearing. Now we are worried there is too much of it!

The only person supply hurts are those trying to protect their "investments."

Quoted from Colehvac1:

over supplying the market is bad for everyone involved!

#498 9 years ago

Do we really have to resort to personal attacks?

Quoted from JoeJet:

Your cheap and/or poor with confidence issues. Got it.

#501 9 years ago

Supply meets demand, no? Minus a couple closeouts during the dark days, (WoF, WPT), Stern hasn't made too many of anything. Even IM, they made about 1,000 and sold them all, I don't believe this title was ever closed out. And here we are, 4 years later with more being made.

If they are increasing supply, it is because of demand. Demand means a strong hobby. Of course "over supply" is a bad thing, but that is far from the case here. My guess, can't be more than 500 more IM's out there. Percentage wise, large, but not in the big picture.

Quoted from JoeJet:

Wrong.. but.. whatever.

#504 9 years ago

I agree. Super lame.

Quoted from JoeJet:

You mean the tampon post? I agree, completely unnecessary.

#515 9 years ago

I can appreciate that. I'm never happy when people lose money. But I'm also all for pinball. The cheaper pinball is, the better it is for pinball (to a point obviously). Right now, pinball is too expensive. Bring the prices down and sell more, win for the manufacturers and win for the buyers. Maybe not for people who bought at the peak, but so be it.

Sometimes, hobbies (and investments) lose money.

Looking at your collection, I'd say your pretty safe of anything else being remade, but pinball on the whole isn't going up right now. If this is your investment, I'd sell.

Quoted from Colehvac1:

A F-ING right! "I dont want to lose money"You can call it an investment if you want to. Chevy use to advertise their trucks had the highest resale value! Because people care about how much money they are gonna lose when they are ready to sell something they own

#524 9 years ago

Very few DMD titles are $1K, but I think he was more refering to the general pinball market going up. Sure, IM, AFM etc aren't needed to build an awesome collection, but did you think Congos would be selling for $2,500? $3,000?

It's just generally more expensive across the board.

Quoted from goatdan:

Unless I'm wrong, you can enjoy owning pinball machines that aren't named IM, AFM, SS or whatever else you named as games that you think are way overinflated. In fact, I'm pretty certain if you must have a DMD, you could pick up some of the Gottlieb DMD titles today still for like $1000ish.

#526 9 years ago

I agree with you. I was responding to someone who thought over supply was bad. It's never been an issue. I was stretching for some sort of example.

Quoted from goatdan:

WPT was unique, as it was way out of production by that time, and for the record from everything that I have heard, it wasn't Stern blowing out WoF and WPT, it was ONE distributor who way overbought.

IM when it was originally made could be found pretty easily for fair prices a full year after it was made. It was NOT popular at all when it came out. I have a friend who flips games. A customer of his bought one. He hated it, so he traded it back in a few months later. My friend put a price tag of $3200 and it sat for three months before he finally accepted $3k for it.

They made the right number of IM. Stern has never made the wrong number of anything. Even TFLE, which supposedly didn't sell out all 750 of them or whatever that number was, if that story is true it simply stopped being produced.

#528 9 years ago

Sure, but those titles used to be $1,100. JD, JM, JP anything with a J

He's in an IM thread so he used that as the context talking about high prices, but I think he was making a more general point. That's all.

Quoted from goatdan:

Do I think Congos would be selling for $2500 or $3000 for what? I don't have one, so clearly I don't think it's needed for an awesome collection.

And you clearly misread my post if you think I said there are lots of titles you can get for $1k. There are a LOT you can get for $2k or less though.

#536 9 years ago

Me as well, I also sold your WOF for a loss

Quoted from Colehvac1:

I'm not worried about the money or loss in value, depending on what the loss is, i sold you WOF AT A LOSS.

#541 9 years ago

I liked a lot of things about it. At the end of the day, it's worth what it's worth when you buy it, and then again when you sell it. People spend a lot of time bitching about things they can't control. (sometimes, me included )

Quoted from Colehvac1:

But I bet it was fun while you had it!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 87.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 24.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jalpert.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-is-re-releasing-im?tu=jalpert and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.