you-are-poor-500x349.jpg
sg2014070232057.gif
Yacht 2007 delivery 2.jpg
Yacht 2007 delivery.jpg
titanic.jpg
image-822.jpg
boat.jpg
alrighty.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hank527.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 9 years ago

Oh wow. Thank you Stern for tanking the market. My guess is SM, LOTR and others may follow. Vault editions with a steeper price of at least $500.00 more than normal pro editions.

I'm okay with remakes as long as Stern may revisit and improve code for all of us, but I think this is bad for the collectors and feel the LE market will die.

So how much did Iron Man just loose in value? $1k?

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I am actually happy about this. I am not concerned with price and think it is great that games will be less expensive as the market gets more and more flooded. I never intended to sell any of my games anyway.
I just wonder if the prices start to trend significantly lower on used games then will that cause collector sell-offs and very few NIB purchases for Stern and other manufacturers.

Bingo. When collectors cannot sell their older titles to fund newer ones then Stern has effectively cut off future sales of new games.

#59 9 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Also thanks to JJP and PPS! Pinball prices are being driven down hard and fast! I do have my fingers crossed for a spiderman PVE - that would be icing!
These three companies are going to make sure prices don't climb above NIB pricing in any case they can impact. The Stern LE remains the only LE model and probably the only one that will carry any potential to trade above NIB prices.

What LE? TRON IS IT. LUCI HAD to hurt AC/DC. Metallica has a premium. The only sought after LE is Tron and if Stern can pump one out at $7500.00 I think it may happen. All other LE's besides maybe Bible and Tron sell below current $8000.00 msrp.

So where is t he LE market?

STLE. current prices are $6900 ish

Plain and simple Pinball or Stern and Jjp pinball are horrible investments

#77 9 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Wow, good price.

Wow I want to see the new figures. I'm not thrilled with some of the upgrades offered. Namely the speaker panel decals and new decals. STERN basically just crapped all over us as current IM owners. Plus new code to control the lighting. Hmmm. I hope they do us current owners a solid and fix the code.

A nice solution to this would be to make a special mode or code change special to the original pro owners to help them retain value as everyone would win.

#100 9 years ago
Quoted from Apollyon:

Pinball games are not investments. If people were buying games as investments they were dumb, plain and simple. These are not 401Ks or RRSPs. They are GAMES TO PLAY and should be bought as such.
I buy NIB games because I can afford it, I like a warranty, the NIB experience is an awesome one, and its nice to have something that is brand new. If someone wants to save a bit of money, buy a used one. But NIB purchasers should buy knowing that they are buying an asset that is very unlikely to appreciate. With pins, you are getting an asset that likely will not tank in value, but it likely won't go up either.
As others have said, why should people expect Stern to let 3rd parties make big profits on their games? They should make the money! They put the effort into them.
Plain and simple - buy games to play and have fun. Sell them if you don't like them down the road and take a small loss. Consider it the cost of getting to play pinball whenever you want. Then buy another one if you like. This is not the end of the pinball market. Just an adjustment of profits from hoarders and collectors back to Stern. I have no problem with that whatsoever.
Its analogous to the purchase of a car - generally a horrible experience. Especially for a new one. But an experience that many still like if they can afford it.
I already own IM and I am thrilled that others out there can get to have the awesome experience of owning it if they so choose.

Okay, but the potential to not loose a lot of money tends to keep sales strong. This is no longer the case with pinball. I still think a Stern Pro offers quite a bit with limited downside. The LE market is a joke. Anyone paying $7500- $9000.00 for a limited edition is destined to loose money.

Bring on the Lotr vault edition as this is still Sterns highest rated game. Maybe they can add led s new decals and a new toy, shaker and some other cool stuff since the figures are no longer available.

Then maybe SM blue or red edition and another Tron run for sure

#151 9 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Why do they care about making the old ones more valuable? They want to sell more (new) ones why would they want to make the older ones better? If anything the opposite of what you say is what they should do.

They should build customer loyalty. If they make new ones better than I'm done with Stern. It's a fine line. If I'm Stern I make the same game and tread lightly as us who own IM are a pretty loyal customer base. With any business you want to somehow make this a win win. I see this as a win for those who missed out and a big loss for us who already own the game.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

Aren't you the guy who's interested in a CCr and a BBBrr? Seems kind of disingenuous of you.

Yep I'm into a ccr and bbbr as there were not that many made to begin with. I'm okay with IM rerun. I'm not okay with returning a superior version of the game.

#214 9 years ago
Quoted from chadderack:

? Help me with that. There were more IMs made. You're saying that if Stern had made fewer IMs you'd be ok with this new one? Sorry, but I don't believe you.
So essentially because you don't have a CC or BBB you're okay with a remake of those?
It's because you just don't have either of those. That's why you're okay with a possible CCr/BBBrr.

Nobody's taking your IM away. You can still play it. If you want the newer one, it's fairly cheap. I don't see the problem.

What's the deal? I'm okay with IM remake. I'm not cool with the added extras. Now if Stern is smart they would sell these extras to those of us who want to upgrade our IM games. Id buy speaker kits and a new translite. Look this remake has the potential to hurt Stern quite a bit as it may tick off their loyal customer base.

Who knows. I just wish they would remake these without the upgrades namely new decals, custom speaker panel and new translite

#262 9 years ago

I don't know what will happen, but do know that this really sucks for those that paid a lot for an IM machine. I kinda wished Stern would up the trim package add a shaker and charge $7k because I think they could and I think it doesn't devalue current pros, but I'm not sure why I really care. I guess it's because I love my IM and I'm passed this vault edition has more stuff on it than the original release oh well I hope we all get new code and stern sells us the upgrades a large cart if we want them.

I still cannot figure out why they do not sell translite s

#359 9 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I think it's pretty much just you who's ticked off, as evidenced by a dozen of your negative posts vs. several hundred positive or neutral posts from almost everyone else.
It's unfortunate that you have a mindset which causes you to enjoy something less when other people can buy a slightly upgraded version of it. Must be a nightmare to own a smartphone.

Well I hope your okay if they make a Tron premium. I'm fine with it as it's a great game. I have said and will continue to say I do not like the upgrades in the form of speaker decals and translite.

Oh well I love pinball and I for one will not be buying any of this limited edition crap anymore or will I be buying any older Sterns I think they might remake.

#375 9 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Exactly.
Otherwise Godzilla and Lost In Space would be worth $10,000 each ... Because there are only 500-600 of each of those.
rd.

Haha.

CSI and 24 would be even more.

I cannot think of any games but Tron, LOTR and SM that Stern could successfully sell again. Maybe TSPP and Potc but I don't know. It seems to be remade the games have to carry a price tag higher than $5000 and not many Stern Pro games have that kind of price tag.

#385 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm so ready for the "buy it NIB lose money when you sell it" reality to be here already. It's getting there, just need everyone to realize it.

It's here and here big time, but if I bought IM at $3850.00 best price I was quoted I'd still be ahead. The issue I have is with the LE model as these are doomed to fail as only about 1 in 5 hold any kind of value. The rest are now take I ng 10-20% price hits.

On a pro you kinda assumed you'd break even or take a 5-10% loss which isn't a loss if you played it a bunch, but now pricing is so out of hand at $7500 for a LE and $4500 on a pro it's almost impossible to break even and that is not good for the hobby.

I'd like to go back to the $3800 Trons and the $5600 Tron LE

#395 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Hey, this is important. I just played about 10 games on my IM. I found it equally fun as I did when I last played it (Tuesday) and it was "worth more." Actually, I had two games where I was tantalizingly close to doing awesome, and another one where I hit Whiplash and he managed to magnet the ball up into the center spinner hitting a drone on the way and qualifying War Machine and raising Monger at the same time.
I then drained to end the game, but damn.
So anyway, I'm happy to report that the fun factor of IM seems to be wholly unchanged for me no matter what it's value is. I hope that others come to the same conclusion!

Well if we get some software changes it may end up being more fun

#396 9 years ago

Heard a rumor that this new run is limited to 400 units.

#468 9 years ago

Walking Dead is next. Long rumored and confirmed.

2 weeks later
#683 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Which... before the mid-2000s... is what nearly EVERYONE did. Hobbyists didn't buy NIB because you were paying a huge premium for something unproven just so it was 'new'. Everyone would buy games after they did some time on route... or from the select few games that were sold to people with too much money and had HUO games in their man cave basements. Buying NIB became fashionable to get a 'pristine' game - not because it was going to appreciate in value. It wasn't until the flood of new money in the last 5-7 years that people started buying stuff to horde, or buying games thinking they were investments. (and started crying when they bought unproven games that still depreciated because they weren't hits)
The hobbyists cared about residual value of a game in the sense that the value of game enabled them to sell or trade for another game.

Yes but we also got a bit of HUO titles purchased from closeouts etc..,

#738 9 years ago

Yeh I think the newer Toys may look horrible. Unfortunately we have yet to see these. I'm not overly impressed with the speaker panel. Could have just left it black. Oh well looks pretty cool. I like the new cabinet as it has much less glare from the DMD.

1 week later
#823 9 years ago

I hope those are the old classics as I do not like the look of those at all if they are a VE

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hank527.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-is-re-releasing-im?tu=hank527 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.