Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SKILL_SHOT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0616.JPG
    CitySlickers.jpg
    tumblr_liysmwFART1qi925lo1_1280.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from NathanP:

they forgot "must speak spanish" so you can communicate with the production line employees.

If this a sincere and not a racist comment, then it's hard to disagree. However, let's talk about why there are so many people of Hispanic descent working the production line. Stern pays a poverty wage for these jobs, plain and simple. And who better to exploit then desperate immigrants who recently came to this country and can't find a better job.

It's one thing to pay a low wage when you're on the ropes, but if you're "growing" and making money, now what's the excuse?

Disclaimer-- I own a Stern and have owned other Sterns, but it's a moral dilemma every time. Of course, when you buy used, it's more like an adoption. But I'm never truly proud.

#60 10 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Well played, thanks your remarks set a perfect example of what I think is a lame part of this forum and hobby. Remember all lets not buy and enjoy pins the moral dilemma is just to great

Dude- It is a moral dilemma. I love pinball! There's no question about that. But I also love when people are paid a living wage to do back-breaking work. Since many companies apparently don't see it as a moral imperative to ensure their employees are paid a living wage, whether they're working with their brains or their back, it's up to the consumer to keep them in check with their pocketbooks. That's all I'm saying. And although I haven't taken it to the extent of not buying the machines, it's not a crime for the thought to at least pass through your mind.

Since this forum is about all things pinball and peoples' opinions about it, how does that not extend to how they're produced?

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Besides league and tournaments, do you still play on location regularly? League and tournament play isn't enough.
    My rant was directed at the collector community in general. If you do still play on location regularly, then you have a right to feel sad. Not many here do.

I would say that I play regularly on location. This is necessary when you only have one pin, which becomes boring after a while. Both places (Marvin's and Shark Club) are between 30 and 40 minutes from my home. When you have a family, that's even 15-20 minutes too far to play as regularly as you would like. So, when I say "regularly", it means once maybe twice per month.

The big change about playing pins on location is that there are few places, but they tend to have many games clustered in the same place. While it is nice to have so many games one place, it would be nice to see that one or two games at the local bowling alley, restaurant, bar, movie theater or convenience store. Then you could play an "on the spot" game or two while you're taking care of other responsibilities or doing other activities. This is something that used to be the case, but is no longer and probably never will be.

Heck, even when I go to the Shark Club, the person or two that I'm with are typically the only ones playing this awesome collection of 40-50 games. Our vision gets cloudy on this board when everyone here is passionate about pinball. As for the general public, I find that they basically couldn't give a care.

#93 10 years ago
    Quoted from brent149:

Something tells me a job at stern doesn't pay top dollar. I'd guess they like to skimp in the salary department.

I heard they call it a "pro" salary.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider usandthem.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-is-hiring?tu=usandthem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.