Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SKILL_SHOT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0616.JPG
    CitySlickers.jpg
    tumblr_liysmwFART1qi925lo1_1280.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I don't understand. They're not the only maker of "arcade-quality pinball games" any longer. Why is it OK for them to keep saying that?
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

Maybe because they are, and JJP/WOZ is "collector-quality," which is beyond arcade-quality?

#38 10 years ago

I'm curious if they're actually "expanding" or if some people have left. Big difference, esp. for applicants....

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

If this a sincere and not a racist comment, then it's hard to disagree. However, let's talk about why there are so many people of Hispanic descent working the production line. Stern pays a poverty wage for these jobs, plain and simple. And who better to exploit then desperate immigrants who recently came to this country and can't find a better job.
    It's one thing to pay a low wage when you're on the ropes, but if you're "growing" and making money, now what's the excuse?
    Disclaimer-- I own a Stern and have owned other Sterns, but it's a moral dilemma every time. Of course, when you buy used, it's more like an adoption. But I'm never truly proud.

You don't get the economics. I'm no insider, but it's clear there aren't huge profits to be had in the pinball biz compared to the old days. Annual unit sales are WAY down. And the investors who call the shots at Stern now want to maximize profits, period. So why not hire the cheapest help you can? Why not shave the BoM down to the bone? (Example: replacing standard, functional pf slides with useless "pegs.") Makes sense to me.

#75 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

First, glad to see a pinball company hiring people.
    As for the slogan, lots of lawyers here probably remember this case:
    "In 1997, Pizza Hut filed suit against Papa John's based on a series of advertisements that compared the ingredients of Papa John's and its competitors. At trial, the court agreed with Pizza Hut's argument that Papa John's slogan did not constitute statements of literal fact – that "fresher ingredients" do not necessarily account for a "better" pizza; this ruling was overturned in 2000 when Papa John's appealed the decision. Although the jury's decision on the misleading advertising was upheld, the appeals court determined that Pizza Hut failed to prove, under the requirements of the Lanham Act, that the misleading advertising and puffery had a material effect on consumers' purchasing decisions." - from the wikipedia article on the case.

Yeah, but there are material distinctions between the Papa John's case and the present statement. Puffery does not include demonstrable falsehoods.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think this is a fair statement all around. Stern now has some private equity backing. Private equity is around to make money and return money to their investors. This is the primary goal of private equity. This does not mean Gary himself and his staff do not love pinball, but they have masters to answer to now.

This is what bothers me. I'm all for pinball and more manufacturers, better games, etc. Those calling the shots at Stern are not. Thus we see things like rising prices, lowered quality, cutting corners everywhere, marketing strategies like the artificial scarcity angle for LEs, every title being licensed (who would pre-order Stern games sight unseen these days without the allure of the license?), etc. The beancounters are running the show, which is sad for those who really want to make great pinball.

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Well if you're looking for someone to blame, take a look in the mirror. Gary Stern told people for years to play more on location. You all either laughed or felt insulted. Why should we play those filthy location games when we have shiny new games at home? Now Stern has changed their business model to accommodate the home buyer. First time in 80+ years of pinball that a company has done this. And you feel sad? Please.
    If you think the home market is going to take this hobby anywhere near it's past glory, you're sadly mistaken. Ain't gonna happen. If you want to change things, play on location regularly and encourage others to do the same. You might even find yourself enjoying the hobby more. It's a common side effect.

You don't know me or my activities. I've been playing pinball on location since the early 70's. Was a founding member (and former officer) of the FSPA league in DC starting summer of '95, and ALL of the leagues in the association played location games. Played location games when I moved to NYC 12 years ago, and have been active in the various leagues and tournaments here, all of which have been held on location and not in private homes. (OK, I think Pinferno 1 was in a private home, but I wasn't at that tourney.) I don't just sit at home playing my personal games, and I don't think the home market will save (or even sustain) the pinball market going forward. (That puts me in the minority on Pinside, I think.) Just sayin'.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stevenp.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-is-hiring?tu=stevenp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.