Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SKILL_SHOT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0616.JPG
    CitySlickers.jpg
    tumblr_liysmwFART1qi925lo1_1280.jpg
    image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

...constantly pressured to reduce cost, etc etc".

2008 was five years ago. Might want to look at a calendar.

Quoted from Borygard:

Why is it OK for them to keep saying that?

They shouldn't be, but it's hardly worth losing sleep over. It's an exact copy and paste from October of last year, when they still were the only manufacturer shipping games.

http://www.sternpinball.com/Community/Blogs/careers/join-the-stern-team.aspx

If you want to bag on somebody, bag on Jody for being lazy.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sr. Bill of Material Administrator

I'm applying for this one.

I'd do it if they changed the job title. I want to be: King of the BOM!

That would look so cool on my business card. d

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Disclaimer-- I own a Stern and have owned other Sterns, but it's a moral dilemma every time. Of course, when you buy used, it's more like an adoption. But I'm never truly proud.

Knowing you feel guilty about buying games is satisfying to know. Good luck with that.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

While Nathan was clearly joking I don't think his comment was at all meant to be racist. He is poking fun of the fact that Stern really does have a translator around when Gary speaks to the line staff.

I don't think he was joking when he posted this in the thread about that very topic:

Quoted from NathanP:

Wait until the new immigration laws pass the house and senate. Business owners will understand when they are jailed alongside their illegal employees.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-talks-to-the-staff-before-we-watch-metallica/page/2#post-847331

#72 10 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They stay because they either cannot find better or haven't looked.

Did it occur to you that some may stay because they enjoy the work? I worked in a manufacturing environment for a few years at the beginning of my career and loved every minute of it. Sure, we worked hard and weren't paid much, but the comradery among fellow employees was the best ever in my career and the regular overtime made up for the modest wages. The company paid for my education and I eventually left manufacturing for an easier job with a nice raise and an office at the same company. At the time, I felt like I had made it and somehow got away from that horrible manufacturing job. Looking back now, I should've stayed there. It was the best job I ever had.

Steve Ritchie often talks about visiting the line workers regularly and knows many by name. These aren't migrant workers with new faces showing up on the line every week. Building pinball machines isn't the same as picking fruit. These are skilled and valued employees. Wouldn't surprise me at all if many of them are very happy with their jobs and proud of the products they produce.

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

This is what bothers me. I'm all for pinball and more manufacturers, better games, etc. Those calling the shots at Stern are not. Thus we see things like rising prices, lowered quality, cutting corners everywhere, marketing strategies like the artificial scarcity angle for LEs, every title being licensed (who would pre-order Stern games sight unseen these days without the allure of the license?), etc. The beancounters are running the show, which is sad for those who really want to make great pinball.

Well if you're looking for someone to blame, take a look in the mirror. Gary Stern told people for years to play more on location. You all either laughed or felt insulted. Why should we play those filthy location games when we have shiny new games at home? Now Stern has changed their business model to accommodate the home buyer. First time in 80+ years of pinball that a company has done this. And you feel sad? Please.

If you think the home market is going to take this hobby anywhere near it's past glory, you're sadly mistaken. Ain't gonna happen. If you want to change things, play on location regularly and encourage others to do the same. You might even find yourself enjoying the hobby more. It's a common side effect.

#88 10 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I don't just sit at home playing my personal games, and I don't think the home market will save (or even sustain) the pinball market going forward.

Besides league and tournaments, do you still play on location regularly? League and tournament play isn't enough.

My rant was directed at the collector community in general. If you do still play on location regularly, then you have a right to feel sad. Not many here do.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phishrace.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-is-hiring?tu=phishrace and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.