New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 57898)

STERN is HIRING!

By flashinstinct

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by SKILL_SHOT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCF0616.JPG
    CitySlickers.jpg
    tumblr_liysmwFART1qi925lo1_1280.jpg
    image.jpg

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

What's wrong with puffery! That's how I got my wife!!!

LMAO! If you look at that old thread where people were posting pics of their spouses . . . I think that is how we all got married.

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

Disclaimer-- I own a Stern and have owned other Sterns, but it's a moral dilemma every time. Of course, when you buy used, it's more like an adoption. But I'm never truly proud.

Knowing you feel guilty about buying games is satisfying to know. Good luck with that.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

While Nathan was clearly joking I don't think his comment was at all meant to be racist. He is poking fun of the fact that Stern really does have a translator around when Gary speaks to the line staff.

I don't think he was joking when he posted this in the thread about that very topic:

Quoted from NathanP:

Wait until the new immigration laws pass the house and senate. Business owners will understand when they are jailed alongside their illegal employees.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gary-talks-to-the-staff-before-we-watch-metallica/page/2#post-847331

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

"It is the only maker of arcade-quality pinball games in the world"

Quoted from McCune:

Do you feel better ?

Quoted from Borygard:

By pointing out something that they continue to tout that isn't true? Why wouldn't he feel better?

Quoted from McCune:

Just another dig at a pinball company and your guys give it a pass, whatever .

Quoted from Borygard:

I don't understand. They're not the only maker of "arcade-quality pinball games" any longer. Why is it OK for them to keep saying that?

Quoted from McCune:

Rob, it was a unnecessary dig at Stern ! If you allow this sort of bashing for a small infraction to Stern, then it is OK to nit pick other pinball manufactures without everyone getting pissed. Right ?

Just quoting this ludicrous straw man argument for posterity...

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

If this a sincere and not a racist comment, then it's hard to disagree. However, let's talk about why there are so many people of Hispanic descent working the production line. Stern pays a poverty wage for these jobs, plain and simple. And who better to exploit then desperate immigrants who recently came to this country and can't find a better job.
    It's one thing to pay a low wage when you're on the ropes, but if you're "growing" and making money, now what's the excuse?
    Disclaimer-- I own a Stern and have owned other Sterns, but it's a moral dilemma every time. Of course, when you buy used, it's more like an adoption. But I'm never truly proud.

Well played, thanks your remarks set a perfect example of what I think is a lame part of this forum and hobby. Remember all lets not buy and enjoy pins the moral dilemma is just to great

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from Compy:

If they need a software engineer, that'd be a cool gig.

I'd hire you if I were Stern.

#57 7 years ago

im reading betwwen the lines as, looking for some one with lcd exp?

#58 7 years ago

I have heard, but that's as far as my research into the issue goes, that the general labor on the factory floor is contract labor that floats around the Chicago area building coin-op games for many different manufacturers. Stern certainly has days and weeks where nothing is running down the line, and they aren't paying people to not build games. I think that these teams are contracted to come in and fire up the line for certain periods of times, or until job X is finished.

That said, it is a subtle difference, but I don't think that these people that some people seem to take such issue with (for one politically motivated reason or another) are actually employees of another entity altogether.

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sunfox:

Just quoting this ludicrous straw man argument for posterity...

Do you feel better ?

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Well played, thanks your remarks set a perfect example of what I think is a lame part of this forum and hobby. Remember all lets not buy and enjoy pins the moral dilemma is just to great

Dude- It is a moral dilemma. I love pinball! There's no question about that. But I also love when people are paid a living wage to do back-breaking work. Since many companies apparently don't see it as a moral imperative to ensure their employees are paid a living wage, whether they're working with their brains or their back, it's up to the consumer to keep them in check with their pocketbooks. That's all I'm saying. And although I haven't taken it to the extent of not buying the machines, it's not a crime for the thought to at least pass through your mind.

Since this forum is about all things pinball and peoples' opinions about it, how does that not extend to how they're produced?

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

it's up to the consumer to keep them in check with their pocketbooks.

Or people could develop a nutsack and go start a business and treat yourself like one deserves. Entrepreneurial spirit is nearly dead in this country.

#62 7 years ago

Entrepreneurial spirit is nearly dead in this country.

Just like disco!

image.jpg

#63 7 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Just like disco!

Disco has been tainted ever since I saw this.

#64 7 years ago

Cool opportunity for people! It's nice to see Stern growing.

#65 7 years ago

Amazing how a thread announcing the positive news that an American manufacturing company adding jobs turns into this.

If the moral dilemma of buying something supported by this kind of low wage employee gives you pause, you might want to forego a lot of the purchases you make and return most of the products you've bought. Oh and you better not eat out, because most restaurants survive on this type of employee as well.

And I'm not sure I'd classify working for Stern as back-breaking work. I bet most of those employees see their gig as fairly easy when compared to what their friends and relatives may be doing to get by.

Congrats to Stern for being in a position to hire more skilled labor, allowing more of the unskilled labor more hours on the line to help support their families...and ultimately...make us more pinball machines!!!

*steps down off soapbox*

#66 7 years ago

If those people are legal immigrants and belong in the US in the first place they are free to leave and find employment elsewhere. They stay because they either cannot find better or haven't looked. If everyone left Stern and other manufacturers would either raise their pay or like most move to China, Mexico or somewhere they could get cheaper labor. They are free to better themselves through education or whatever. If they are not legal immigrants they should not be here period.

#67 7 years ago

Someone get me a green card.

#68 7 years ago

well Stern has changed web to read .... Leading Provider .... so everybody can cool it. Whew, it is like Summertime and working in the local fireworks factory, hoping something doesn't spark an explosion. Link to thier site and opening......http://www.sternpinball.com/Community/Blogs/careers/new-jobs-available-at-stern.aspx

#69 7 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

I don't think he was joking when he posted this in the thread about that very topic:

I stand corrected. Thanks for the link; missed that older thread.

Quoted from centerflank:

Or people could develop a nutsack and go start a business and treat yourself like one deserves. Entrepreneurial spirit is nearly dead in this country.

Not easy being a small or medium size business. Even if you dominate your industry like Stern does. We have been lucky Stern has stuck through everything and still develops new pins for all of us to enjoy and debate about.

#70 7 years ago

Anything worth doing never is.

#71 7 years ago

Just like disco!

tumblr_liysmwFART1qi925lo1_1280.jpg

#72 7 years ago
    Quoted from zr11990:

They stay because they either cannot find better or haven't looked.

Did it occur to you that some may stay because they enjoy the work? I worked in a manufacturing environment for a few years at the beginning of my career and loved every minute of it. Sure, we worked hard and weren't paid much, but the comradery among fellow employees was the best ever in my career and the regular overtime made up for the modest wages. The company paid for my education and I eventually left manufacturing for an easier job with a nice raise and an office at the same company. At the time, I felt like I had made it and somehow got away from that horrible manufacturing job. Looking back now, I should've stayed there. It was the best job I ever had.

Steve Ritchie often talks about visiting the line workers regularly and knows many by name. These aren't migrant workers with new faces showing up on the line every week. Building pinball machines isn't the same as picking fruit. These are skilled and valued employees. Wouldn't surprise me at all if many of them are very happy with their jobs and proud of the products they produce.

#73 7 years ago

In another thread someone wrote about spotting one of the line ladies out in public wearing a "Stern Staff" shirt. She was quite proud of her job and was thrilled that someone recognized it.

We've all seen the video of Gary sharing the news of the awards the company won, sharing that excitement with the line workers.

It might be low paying, but it is a legal wage and there are plenty worse jobs out there.

#74 7 years ago

Crap Phish, I answered your post put it didn't show up. Anyway, I agree and it did occur but I think I covered that with "or haven't looked". Being in manufacturing would be enjoyable, more or less so depending on what you are manufacturing and what place you have in it. I would have to guess that most just want to feed their families.

#75 7 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

First, glad to see a pinball company hiring people.
    As for the slogan, lots of lawyers here probably remember this case:
    "In 1997, Pizza Hut filed suit against Papa John's based on a series of advertisements that compared the ingredients of Papa John's and its competitors. At trial, the court agreed with Pizza Hut's argument that Papa John's slogan did not constitute statements of literal fact – that "fresher ingredients" do not necessarily account for a "better" pizza; this ruling was overturned in 2000 when Papa John's appealed the decision. Although the jury's decision on the misleading advertising was upheld, the appeals court determined that Pizza Hut failed to prove, under the requirements of the Lanham Act, that the misleading advertising and puffery had a material effect on consumers' purchasing decisions." - from the wikipedia article on the case.

Yeah, but there are material distinctions between the Papa John's case and the present statement. Puffery does not include demonstrable falsehoods.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

I think this is a fair statement all around. Stern now has some private equity backing. Private equity is around to make money and return money to their investors. This is the primary goal of private equity. This does not mean Gary himself and his staff do not love pinball, but they have masters to answer to now.

This is what bothers me. I'm all for pinball and more manufacturers, better games, etc. Those calling the shots at Stern are not. Thus we see things like rising prices, lowered quality, cutting corners everywhere, marketing strategies like the artificial scarcity angle for LEs, every title being licensed (who would pre-order Stern games sight unseen these days without the allure of the license?), etc. The beancounters are running the show, which is sad for those who really want to make great pinball.

#76 7 years ago

They are putting out hits and have an all star designing staff with a legend in the software department. Seriously they have straight legends on staff I'm sure others would of been cheaper but they got the best. Sure Stern has room to improve but many in this hobby just can't be pleased.

#77 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

This is what bothers me. I'm all for pinball and more manufacturers, better games, etc. Those calling the shots at Stern are not. Thus we see things like rising prices, lowered quality, cutting corners everywhere, marketing strategies like the artificial scarcity angle for LEs, every title being licensed (who would pre-order Stern games sight unseen these days without the allure of the license?), etc. The beancounters are running the show, which is sad for those who really want to make great pinball.

Well if you're looking for someone to blame, take a look in the mirror. Gary Stern told people for years to play more on location. You all either laughed or felt insulted. Why should we play those filthy location games when we have shiny new games at home? Now Stern has changed their business model to accommodate the home buyer. First time in 80+ years of pinball that a company has done this. And you feel sad? Please.

If you think the home market is going to take this hobby anywhere near it's past glory, you're sadly mistaken. Ain't gonna happen. If you want to change things, play on location regularly and encourage others to do the same. You might even find yourself enjoying the hobby more. It's a common side effect.

#78 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

Yeah, but there are material distinctions between the Papa John's case and the present statement. Puffery does not include demonstrable falsehoods.

What I thought was the funniest thing about the Papa John's case was another pizza chain, and I can't remember which one it was now (it was a regional chain), filed an amicus brief and said something along the lines of "better ingredients? We buy our ingredients from the exact same distributor!" LOL

#79 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

every title being licensed

Gary said that overseas distributors only order 3-4 of each title if they are not licensed.

So ALL Stern titles are licensed, simple economics.

Quoted from StevenP:

The beancounters are running the show, which is sad for those who really want to make great pinball.

The equity group that saved Stern is headed by one of the guys from the equity team that saved Harley Davidson.

(you guys might be too young to remember, but Harley was on it's way out, and their quality was the butt of many jokes.)

#80 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Gary said that overseas distributors only order 3-4 of each title if they are not licensed.

The equity group that saved Stern is headed by one of the guys from the equity team that saved Harley Davidson.
    (you guys might be too young to remember, but Harley was on it's way out, and their quality was the butt of many jokes.)

I remember that one. Had to write a Thesis on the H-D turn around.
    Get this, for one that was my choice, I chose the former Bally Manufacturing Corporation.

#81 7 years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong her but you are referring to AMF, correct? They brought them back but didn't AMF HDs still have the rep for being crap motorcycles? Later the original family or workers bought them back to being quality bikes. I may be pulling this out of my butt here. If I'm wrong tell me so.

#82 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Overseas distributors will only order 3-4 of each title AT FIRST if they are not licensed. If it turns out to be a good game, they will order more. Simple economics too.

So am I the only one wondering if the vacancies are open because people are leaving the company? Or are they new positions?

#83 7 years ago
    Quoted from unigroove:

Overseas distributors will only order 3-4 of each title AT FIRST if they are not licensed. If it turns out to be a good game, they will order more. Simple economics too.

That requires them to make a good game though. Why on earth would they want to put that kind of pressure on themselves?

#84 7 years ago

That requires them to make a good game though. Why on earth would they want to put that kind of pressure on themselves?

Says guy with all Sterns, they make great games believe it or not.

CitySlickers.jpg

#85 7 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

Says guy with all Sterns, they make great games believe it or not.

#86 7 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Well if you're looking for someone to blame, take a look in the mirror. Gary Stern told people for years to play more on location. You all either laughed or felt insulted. Why should we play those filthy location games when we have shiny new games at home? Now Stern has changed their business model to accommodate the home buyer. First time in 80+ years of pinball that a company has done this. And you feel sad? Please.
    If you think the home market is going to take this hobby anywhere near it's past glory, you're sadly mistaken. Ain't gonna happen. If you want to change things, play on location regularly and encourage others to do the same. You might even find yourself enjoying the hobby more. It's a common side effect.

You don't know me or my activities. I've been playing pinball on location since the early 70's. Was a founding member (and former officer) of the FSPA league in DC starting summer of '95, and ALL of the leagues in the association played location games. Played location games when I moved to NYC 12 years ago, and have been active in the various leagues and tournaments here, all of which have been held on location and not in private homes. (OK, I think Pinferno 1 was in a private home, but I wasn't at that tourney.) I don't just sit at home playing my personal games, and I don't think the home market will save (or even sustain) the pinball market going forward. (That puts me in the minority on Pinside, I think.) Just sayin'.

#87 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I don't think the home market will save (or even sustain) the pinball market going forward.

That is a very interesting statement to bring up, Id love to start my own pinbar if I could get a solid investor/partner or two....

#88 7 years ago
    Quoted from StevenP:

I don't just sit at home playing my personal games, and I don't think the home market will save (or even sustain) the pinball market going forward.

Besides league and tournaments, do you still play on location regularly? League and tournament play isn't enough.

My rant was directed at the collector community in general. If you do still play on location regularly, then you have a right to feel sad. Not many here do.

#89 7 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

If you want to change things, play on location regularly and encourage others to do the same.

I am an operator too and it is very hard to make a living out of this these days .

#90 7 years ago

And if you do apply at least you get a inside
    Look on the next machine the build before us on this site knows

#91 7 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Besides league and tournaments, do you still play on location regularly? League and tournament play isn't enough.
    My rant was directed at the collector community in general. If you do still play on location regularly, then you have a right to feel sad. Not many here do.

I would say that I play regularly on location. This is necessary when you only have one pin, which becomes boring after a while. Both places (Marvin's and Shark Club) are between 30 and 40 minutes from my home. When you have a family, that's even 15-20 minutes too far to play as regularly as you would like. So, when I say "regularly", it means once maybe twice per month.

The big change about playing pins on location is that there are few places, but they tend to have many games clustered in the same place. While it is nice to have so many games one place, it would be nice to see that one or two games at the local bowling alley, restaurant, bar, movie theater or convenience store. Then you could play an "on the spot" game or two while you're taking care of other responsibilities or doing other activities. This is something that used to be the case, but is no longer and probably never will be.

Heck, even when I go to the Shark Club, the person or two that I'm with are typically the only ones playing this awesome collection of 40-50 games. Our vision gets cloudy on this board when everyone here is passionate about pinball. As for the general public, I find that they basically couldn't give a care.

#92 7 years ago

Something tells me a job at stern doesn't pay top dollar. I'd guess they like to skimp in the salary department.

#93 7 years ago
    Quoted from brent149:

Something tells me a job at stern doesn't pay top dollar. I'd guess they like to skimp in the salary department.

I heard they call it a "pro" salary.

#94 7 years ago

Steve Ritchie often talks about visiting the line workers regularly and knows many by name. These aren't migrant workers with new faces showing up on the line every week. Building pinball machines isn't the same as picking fruit. These are skilled and valued employees. Wouldn't surprise me at all if many of them are very happy with their jobs and proud of the products they produce.

+1

A few weeks ago I was up in WI. on business, and went down to Chicago to take a tour of Stern's factory. I have worked in the automation industry for over 20 years in factories like Ford, Planters, Lipton,etc, etc. When I went to Stern I was expecting to see robots, and automated conveyors controlled by PLC's. What I saw instead blew my mind!
    They still do almost everything by hand. Every wiring harness, every solder joint, every Molex connector, every plastic toy assembly, etc. They even crate every pin in a box on a manual roller table.......Unbelievable....it was like going back into an automation time machine.....very interesting and cool!
    What I also saw were alot of happy employees. As we walked around their work stations are set up in groups, and as we went by they usually smiled and said hello. The man that was giving me the tour stopped many times to talk to line workers, and seemed to know many of them personally. When the tour was finished he left me alone to play some pinball in a separate room. I was playing a METLE, and all of a sudden John Borg walks in, and proceeds to shoot the shit with me for about an hour. As we were leaving we stopped to talk to Gary Stern, and George Gomez who were out on the production floor.
    I have probably worked in over 50 factories in the last 20 years, and I can assure you it is not ordinary for CEO's, Vice-Presidents, and Lead Designers to be hanging around the production floor talking to line workers and random tourists! They seem to really care about the welfare of the employees, and try to do all they can to keep the line running. Yes, it is cramped, and they seem to be out growing this building, but they are cranking out games as fast as they can......which is a good thing! The workers are skilled, and seem to take pride in their jobs. I'm sure that has a whole lot to do with the better quality of machines lately.

DSCF0616.JPG

#95 7 years ago
    Quoted from hooch333:

+1
    A few weeks ago I was up in WI. on business, and went down to Chicago to take a tour of Stern's factory. I have worked in the automation industry for over 20 years in factories like Ford, Planters, Lipton,etc, etc. When I went to Stern I was expecting to see robots, and automated conveyors controlled by PLC's. What I saw instead blew my mind!
    They still do almost everything by hand. Every wiring harness, every solder joint, every Molex connector, every plastic toy assembly, etc. They even crate every pin in a box on a manual roller table.......Unbelievable....it was like going back into an automation Time Machine.....very interesting and cool!
    What I also saw were alot of happy employees. As we walked around their work stations are set up in groups, and as we went by they usually smiled and said hello. The man that was giving me the tour stopped many times to talk to line workers, and seemed to know many of them personally. When the tour was finished he left me alone to play some pinball in a separate room. I was playing a METLE, and all of a sudden John Borg walks in, and proceeds to shoot the shit with me for about an hour. As we were leaving we stopped to talk to Gary Stern, and George Gomez who were out on the production floor.
    I have probably worked in over 50 factories in the last 20 years, and I can assure you it is not ordinary for CEO's, Vice-Presidents, and Lead Designers to be hanging around the production floor talking to line workers and random tourists! They seem to really care about the welfare of the employees, and try to do all they can to keep the line running. Yes, it is cramped, and they seem to be out growing this building, but they are cranking out games as fast as they can......which is a good thing! The workers are skilled, and seem to take pride in their jobs. I'm sure that has a whole lot to do with the better quality of machines lately.

What he said!

Seriously though, that's exactly what I've thought each time I've been at the factory over the past couple months. It really is a family atmosphere, and everyone from the folks on the line to the designers to Gary was extremely friendly.

Like Hooch said, I think I was most amazed by how friendly the line workers were to my family. Each one stopped to smile and say hello. I realize they're probably used to people visiting the factory, but instead of having an "Oh great...another tour" attitude, they seem proud that someone is interested in what they're doing.

And how many factories would open their doors to people like us. I realize I'm in a unique position with my son's health issues, and they're trying to go over the top for him, but it seems they're pretty good to all who show interest.

#96 7 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Like Hooch said, I think I was most amazed by how friendly the line workers were to my family. Each one stopped to smile and say hello. I realize they're probably used to people visiting the factory, but instead of having an "Oh great...another tour" attitude, they seem proud that someone is interested in what they're doing.

Yes, the line workers are great. On one visit there, my son saw a leftover Peter Griffin figure sitting on top of one of the computer monitors and he was pointing at it and trying to get my attention. The next thing we knew, one of the workers grabbed it and walked it over to him as we were heading down the next line. We thanked her for the gift, and he was all smiles as we continued on. Such a nice gesture on their part!

#97 7 years ago
    Quoted from hooch333:

+1
    They still do almost everything by hand. Every wiring harness, every solder joint, every Molex connector, every plastic toy assembly, etc. They even crate every pin in a box on a manual roller table.......Unbelievable....it was like going back into an automation Time Machine.....very interesting and cool!

Thank you for this post. Brilliant my man. Just brilliant.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

well Stern has changed web to read .... Leading Provider .... so everybody can cool it.

That's better. I mainly thought it was bad form to start off by lying to prospective high level employees (the non-pinheads anyway).

Quoted from hooch333:

A few weeks ago I was up in WI. on business, and went down to Chicago to take a tour of Stern...

Awesome.

#99 7 years ago

In holland a lie to sell a product is called a commercial.

#100 7 years ago

no habla engles me contrar? me gusta trabajo

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 16.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Pin Monk
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 45.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 6.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 33.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 7.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D Tech. Pinball Parts
    $ 6.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Apparel - Men
    Great American Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Various Novelties
    Pinball Photos
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 39.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Concealed Art
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 89.99
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside