Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 100 posts
  • 50 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SKILL_SHOT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCF0616.JPG
    CitySlickers.jpg
    tumblr_liysmwFART1qi925lo1_1280.jpg
    image.jpg
    There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #2 10 years ago

Thank you for posting this. I'd clean their bathrooms if that was the only job listed.

#3 10 years ago

Always a good sign, especially in the current economy, when reports are that even well-established companies don't plan to do much in the way of significant hiring anytime soon.

#4 10 years ago

"It is the only maker of arcade-quality pinball games in the world"

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

"It is the only maker of arcade-quality pinball games in the world"

Do you feel better ?

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Do you feel better ?

By pointing out something that they continue to tout that isn't true? Why wouldn't he feel better?

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

By pointing out something that they continue to tout that isn't true? Why wouldn't he feel better?

Just another dig at a pinball company and your guys give it a pass, whatever .

#8 10 years ago

The Project Mechanical Engineer position is very tempting, but every time I dream of working at Stern I think "Long hours, long commute, sworn to secrecy on upcoming projects, constantly pressured to reduce cost, etc etc".

I think I'd rather look at Stern from the outside. Kudos to the engineers that dedicate themselves to designing pinball.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

I don't understand. They're not the only maker of "arcade-quality pinball games" any longer. Why is it OK for them to keep saying that?

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#10 10 years ago

Who cares if they continue to use the slogan for a bit? They kept pinball alive for a solid decade while all other makers abandoned the hobby. A little slack is not unwarranted IMO. I know some will disagree but lets not get into a negative back and forth lets instead agree to disagree.

#11 10 years ago

Hopefully they are hiring someone to help out and organize Patrick and Chas's operation, Im in this unholy roundabout of emails between those 2 and Trent trying to get a REVB board for my Xmen

#12 10 years ago

Someone needs to apply and get this job:

"Sr. Bill of Material Administrator"

Then we can start adding in some extra toys

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I don't understand. They're not the only maker of "arcade-quality pinball games" any longer. Why is it OK for them to keep saying that?
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Weird...didn't they change it to "The leading maker..." ? Maybe this has something to do with the website probs they were having - maybe someone accidentally put up the old slogan?

#14 10 years ago

No effin way, as soon as I hit enter for that last post there was a knock from the UPS guy with my board, HALLELUJAH!!!!

#15 10 years ago

If that is their real slogan, slogan writer should be one of the job listings.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I don't understand.

Rob, it was a unnecessary dig at Stern ! If you allow this sort of bashing for a small infraction to Stern, then it is OK to nit pick other pinball manufactures without everyone getting pissed. Right ?

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

...constantly pressured to reduce cost, etc etc".

2008 was five years ago. Might want to look at a calendar.

Quoted from Borygard:

Why is it OK for them to keep saying that?

They shouldn't be, but it's hardly worth losing sleep over. It's an exact copy and paste from October of last year, when they still were the only manufacturer shipping games.

http://www.sternpinball.com/Community/Blogs/careers/join-the-stern-team.aspx

If you want to bag on somebody, bag on Jody for being lazy.

#18 10 years ago

As far as I'm concerned, they can keep that slogan until Hobbit starts shipping. Then we all know JJP isn't a flash in the pan.

#19 10 years ago

Brian Eddy, please apply!!

#20 10 years ago

Oh boy. I'm going to bow out of this one now before people start stabbing each other.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    Maker of anyPin NVRAM. The ONLY RAM for pinball machines available in the world!

www.LockWhenLit.com/anyPin.htm

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Rob, it was a unnecessary dig at Stern ! If you allow this sort of bashing for a small infraction to Stern, then it is OK to nit pick other pinball manufactures without everyone getting pissed. Right ?

Dig? Dig? All I did was quote them and roll some eyes.

Here's a dig: something is wrong with anyone who thinks "manufacture" is a noun.

#22 10 years ago

I give them high marks on the description of their games!

"These games have all of what you’d expect: feature challenges, puzzles, discovery, evolving narratives, dynamic art and great 3D choreography. They have a gleaming chrome sphere, 1.0625 inches in diameter, weighing approximately 80 grams. It’s a sphere with a built in randomizer, courtesy of this earth’s gravity and the artful architecture of an entire universe below glass."

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Napabar:

As far as I'm concerned, they can keep that slogan until Hobbit starts shipping. Then we all know JJP isn't a flash in the pan.

I have posited the theory that by "games" they must mean "titles" before. Then it would be true in a hair splitting kind of way. Thus the eye roll.

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Maybe because they are, and JJP/WOZ is "collector-quality," which is beyond arcade-quality?

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Here's a dig: something is wrong with anyone who thinks "manufacture" is a noun.

Ok, fair enough. Now can you tell me what is wrong ? Something can mean a lot of things ?

#26 10 years ago

Jesus H. Christ, some people just beg for the dick kickings they get. Stern's slogan is now a point of big contention? As if it hasn't been around forever, discussed a million times here in the last year alone, and is just one of a multitude of misrepresentations made by pinball manufacturers in the past year? Really?

#27 10 years ago

Sr. Bill of Material Administrator

I'm applying for this one.

LTG : )

Disclaimer : Just kidding. A good opportunity for some people. Good for Stern too. They are growing.

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Sr. Bill of Material Administrator

I'm applying for this one.

I'd do it if they changed the job title. I want to be: King of the BOM!

That would look so cool on my business card. d

#29 10 years ago

You could get a t-shirt that says:

Here Comes the BOM!

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

--
    As far as I am concerned Jack is not a pinball factory. Yes I am extremely aggravated at the whole deal but pooching out less than 8 games a day is not a factory in my opinion. Maybe Jack could use the slogan " Worlds slowest producer of pinball machines".

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

It's insulting to the entire community for a company to pretend no other manufacturers exist. Stern is sending a message to everyone else to let them know they live in a bubble and don't have any respect for anyone else in their industry.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

It's insulting to the entire community for a company to pretend no other manufacturers exist. Stern is sending a message to everyone else to let them know they live in a bubble and don't have any respect for anyone else in their industry.

Do you really believe this? Because I kind of feel bad for you if you do.

They changed their slogan a while ago. This is obviously a lazy copy/paste of an old wanted ad. Not a malicious insult to the entire pinball community.

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

He's pointing out a blatant lie. It's insulting to the entire community for a company to pretend no other manufacturers exist.

Ok first off people, you need to relax. It's just a slogan that Stern has used for years. Why should they change it now? Because YOU say so. It's their choice not yours. To tell you the truth If I were Gary I wouldn't change it either. Insulting to the entire community, give me a break. Talk about being overly dramatic. LOL.

My God I swear some of the things that people pick to complain about. Just go back to slamming Stern for their shitty quality games.

pappy

#34 10 years ago

My God I swear some of the things that people pick to complain about. Just go back to slamming Stern for their shitty quality games.

Well... that's just a given.

#35 10 years ago

If they need a software engineer, that'd be a cool gig.

#36 10 years ago
    Quoted from McCune:

Ok, fair enough. Now can you tell me what is wrong ? Something can mean a lot of things ?

Well shucks, manufacture is also a noun after all, though I almost never hear it used that way.

At any rate, it was incorrect in the context you used. It can mean something that is manufactured, apparently, but not the thing doing the manufacturing.

The error that you made, like many people make, is leaving the final "r" off the noun "manufacturer," i.e. one that manufactures. It's no doubt due to sloppy pronunciation affecting spelling.

This is hardly of earth shattering importance, true, but it bothers me about as much as Stern pretending to be the only manufacturer of coin op pins. And you did ask!

And wouldn't claiming to be the biggest be more impressive than being the only, anyway?

#37 10 years ago

I hope every pin producer starts hiring . When I entered this hobby 4 years ago I was warned to avoid buying Sterns. I realize all the problems associated with newer pins. Bought 80 + games, kept 39. 16 are 2001-2013 sterns. ACDC and MET, are coming next week, bring the total to 41. WOZle should arrive in the next 60 days. My hope is that this hobby continues to expand and improve. All of us will benefit if this expansion continues.

#38 10 years ago

I'm curious if they're actually "expanding" or if some people have left. Big difference, esp. for applicants....

#39 10 years ago

they forgot "must speak spanish" so you can communicate with the production line employees.

#40 10 years ago

You know what? This would be a fun job. Heck, any job in the design department for any pin company would be a dream job. You get paid to make stuff you love.

First thing I'd do if I was hired? Resolve this site to 127.0.0.1 to keep up morale.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from s1500:

First thing I'd do if I was hired?

Pin in the office. And none of that Stern crap, either! (I can't afford one... yet)

#42 10 years ago

Pass

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Maybe when JJP is solidly established as a viable company the Stern slogan will change.

New company with lots of unfilled orders for its 1st offering and no long established time in the market Vs Sterns several years and thousands of games and titles shipped gives them the bragging rights for now.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Its the difference between new start up competitor and a long established business.
    The "other" company is still in its infancy and needs market share and continued sales & growth.

Sten has made it through some hard times and JJP is just starting out.
    There is room for both BTW.

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

Who cares?

Mc donalds tells me they sell the finest dinners available.

#46 10 years ago
    Quoted from NathanP:

they forgot "must speak spanish" so you can communicate with the production line employees.

If this a sincere and not a racist comment, then it's hard to disagree. However, let's talk about why there are so many people of Hispanic descent working the production line. Stern pays a poverty wage for these jobs, plain and simple. And who better to exploit then desperate immigrants who recently came to this country and can't find a better job.

It's one thing to pay a low wage when you're on the ropes, but if you're "growing" and making money, now what's the excuse?

Disclaimer-- I own a Stern and have owned other Sterns, but it's a moral dilemma every time. Of course, when you buy used, it's more like an adoption. But I'm never truly proud.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

If this a sincere and not a racist comment, then it's hard to disagree. However, let's talk about why there are so many people of Hispanic descent working the production line. Stern pays a poverty wage for these jobs, plain and simple. And who better to exploit then desperate immigrants who recently came to this country and can't find a better job.
    It's one thing to pay a low wage when you're on the ropes, but if you're "growing" and making money, now what's the excuse?
    Disclaimer-- I own a Stern and have owned other Sterns, but it's a moral dilemma every time. Of course, when you buy used, it's more like an adoption. But I'm never truly proud.

You don't get the economics. I'm no insider, but it's clear there aren't huge profits to be had in the pinball biz compared to the old days. Annual unit sales are WAY down. And the investors who call the shots at Stern now want to maximize profits, period. So why not hire the cheapest help you can? Why not shave the BoM down to the bone? (Example: replacing standard, functional pf slides with useless "pegs.") Makes sense to me.

#48 10 years ago

First, glad to see a pinball company hiring people.

As for the slogan, lots of lawyers here probably remember this case:

"In 1997, Pizza Hut filed suit against Papa John's based on a series of advertisements that compared the ingredients of Papa John's and its competitors. At trial, the court agreed with Pizza Hut's argument that Papa John's slogan did not constitute statements of literal fact – that "fresher ingredients" do not necessarily account for a "better" pizza; this ruling was overturned in 2000 when Papa John's appealed the decision. Although the jury's decision on the misleading advertising was upheld, the appeals court determined that Pizza Hut failed to prove, under the requirements of the Lanham Act, that the misleading advertising and puffery had a material effect on consumers' purchasing decisions." - from the wikipedia article on the case.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

First, glad to see a pinball company hiring people.
    As for the slogan, lots of lawyers here probably remember this case:
    "In 1997, Pizza Hut filed suit against Papa John's based on a series of advertisements that compared the ingredients of Papa John's and its competitors. At trial, the court agreed with Pizza Hut's argument that Papa John's slogan did not constitute statements of literal fact – that "fresher ingredients" do not necessarily account for a "better" pizza; this ruling was overturned in 2000 when Papa John's appealed the decision. Although the jury's decision on the misleading advertising was upheld, the appeals court determined that Pizza Hut failed to prove, under the requirements of the Lanham Act, that the misleading advertising and puffery had a material effect on consumers' purchasing decisions." - from the wikipedia article on the case.

What's wrong with puffery! That's how I got my wife!!!

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

If this a sincere and not a racist comment, then it's hard to disagree.

While Nathan was clearly joking I don't think his comment was at all meant to be racist. He is poking fun of the fact that Stern really does have a translator around when Gary speaks to the line staff.

Quoted from StevenP:

I'm no insider, but it's clear there aren't huge profits to be had in the pinball biz compared to the old days. Annual unit sales are WAY down. And the investors who call the shots at Stern now want to maximize profits, period.

I think this is a fair statement all around. Stern now has some private equity backing. Private equity is around to make money and return money to their investors. This is the primary goal of private equity. This does not mean Gary himself and his staff do not love pinball, but they have masters to answer to now.

There are 100 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-is-hiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.