stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stubborngamer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#302 2 years ago

My first impression was that this was some dopey app based achievement system. Looking through the video more slowly I am not even sure what this is, some of the images gave the impression of different rule sets, I would assume there is onscreen dmd popups, not something that you have to keep glancing at your phone for.

I guess I need to see a proper feature reveal to understand what the heck this actually is.

2 weeks later
#821 2 years ago

Is there an actual release date for the add-ons?

Has anyone seen these things at their local distributers yet?

I'd like to try it out, as someone with only one machine, and it will probably be awhile before I buy my second, I am open to it.

2 weeks later
#1047 2 years ago

They've made a "fun" game of signing up. Thought I had gotten to the last step, after selecting your avatar and whatever, then it said my username and email were taken. Now I can't login or get past entering my email if I try to sign up again, no matter what I enter.

Not like I can use this for anything right now so not sure why I am bothering, but here I am trying to fit a square peg into a, apparently, round hole nonetheless.

#1054 2 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

They've made a "fun" game of signing up. Thought I had gotten to the last step, after selecting your avatar and whatever, then it said my username and email were taken. Now I can't login or get past entering my email if I try to sign up again, no matter what I enter.
Not like I can use this for anything right now so not sure why I am bothering, but here I am trying to fit a square peg into a, apparently, round hole nonetheless.

Well I seemed to have solved this complex puzzle Stern has created. Not sure why but I was able to, finally, sign up and login.

And... now I get to sit here proud of myself being able to login to a currently useless website.

#1099 2 years ago
Quoted from ohiojosh:

So anyone have an idea when we can order a kit for the first batch of games?

My local distributer, Player One, biggest distributer in Canada didn't have a specific answer, just said "Pricing and availability will be later this year".

And to give them a call in a few weeks for an update.

1 week later
#1384 2 years ago

Talked to my local distributer today, biggest distributer in Canada, and they currently don't know when the non-Godzilla ones will be released, and don't have pricing. He said "November or December". Also mentioned they were having supply chain issues.

#1404 2 years ago

Gomez said, eventually, people at home won't have to keep scanning their phones.

#1408 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

In that case, why not offer the WiFi dongle only for home users and get them connected for cheaper?

Well probably because you need the reader to scan your qr codes at least once, plus the versatility to make changes if you change your mind and want to add users, or whatever else.

#1411 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

only because that's the way they've implemented registration - it's not the only way to do it. Does your Roku or FireTV have a QR scanner? No, these are all examples of models where the device talks to the cloud and uses a challenge model to associate the device to the user and help authorize the transaction.

I don't know why you are talking to me like I developed this thing. That's how this works, complain to Stern if you want it to work differently.

#1422 2 years ago

Gomez mentioned there will be continual "content drops" and "features" for the supported games and connected, but remained vague about specifics.

I feel like my want for this to be much more than a achievement system is making me think this will eventually do much more than it will actually do.

But it sounds like, based on what Gomez said, that adding specific achievements, or challenges(like say beat a specific mode within a set time), is the extent of the changes to the gameplay of the machines.

#1465 2 years ago

I feel like only bar setups have pinballs anymore, most things that are more the family arcade type have almost no pins, usually no pins. I know it's because these things aren't making them the money all the other stuff does, namely the ticket redemption games. This thing would have to do some kind of unbelievable job bringing in customers to change that.

Really, I think people want this to be something more unbelievable than it is. Most people aren't going to take out their phone, or sign up, they'll just play the game. So some people think this setup leaves people in the cold? No kidding, of course it does. Most people probably never scanned a qr code before the pandemic, when suddenly the loss of physical menus at restaurants made qr codes more common place.

The question you ask yourself as a user is really simple, do you actually care about achievements? As an operator, it's will you be able to cover the up front cost? As a home pin user, it's really just, do I think this is worth $200. If the answer is no, then you simply don't buy it.

Expecting this to drastically change pinball as we know it is expecting too much. It's a gimmick, a gimmick that could add to replayability of your home pin, or attract more customers as a operator, and have a few hardcore types actually try to get good at the pin, rather than just randomly flipping for a bit and moving on.

I think overall it's positive, but whatever route they took this would have adoption problems. Though honestly, so far, the way they are promoting this I don't think is particularly effective, but maybe that has something to do with the fact they aren't actively selling these things yet.

#1467 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I'm just all filled up with shitty QR codes for vaccine, if Stern thinks I need another one to play pin ball they are out of their mind.

No doubt, people will start whipping out their vaccine passports and scanning them on these things.

1 month later
#1739 2 years ago

Well nice that Jurassic Park owners can play Goat mode now without the Topper. Still not sure if I'll buy the add-on kit yet as it's really just an uninspired achievement system. You'd think they'd do a little more to convince people to buy these things. Don't see challenges or anything else on the insider website.

4 weeks later
#2097 2 years ago

Finally tried Insider Connected for the first time on a Godzilla Pro.

Pretty underwhelming experience, doesn't add anything to playing the game. Just some achievements pop up between balls. And going through the app after the play session was a meh experience.

They really need whatever other features they have planned to come out as soon as possible. In it's current state it's DOA.

#2101 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Lol, it is absolutely not DOA. It is going to drive sales for Stern and increase revenue for operators.

Perhaps one day, but you are easily pleased if you are satisfied with the current offering.

6 months later
#3291 1 year ago
Quoted from Smack:

Right now it is, and I am under no illusion that home users will be the focus vs operators/locations, but it does sound like there will be features that will appeal to a home users in the future. In particular head-to-head play or some means of competing over the internet.
While there are no firm details about this, when IC launched George Gomez confirmed that some sort head-to-head connectivity was coming. I certainly hope that means more than a mostly static leaderboard.

So far they think we should be excited by achievements. I'd guess whatever they may have planned for head-to-head connectivity might not be much more than a leaderboard.

Realistically, there aren't enough people actively playing these games to support online multiplayer. Maybe you could compete against someone's "ghost", where you are just playing against a previous game someone played.

#3296 1 year ago
Quoted from Smack:

I fear you are correct but I'll give them some more time to prove me wrong.
What happened to all of the stuff they actually announced at launch like promo QR codes for free games and such? It sounded mostly lame but I guess we have leaderboards finally, which seems like an absolute bare minimum.
How about a proper app for users. The website is brutal.
You got me going
I suppose the real question might be, are operators using and getting value out of IC? I have no idea what the Pro account tools look like but I haven't heard much about it from operators either.

Yeah, I think they alluded to challenges also, which so far isn't a thing.

From a operator side, there's nothing I'm seeing in the app that would make me want to run around to play pinball in the wild.

I mean I can think of various ways that they could make Connected good, but I guess my faith in them to do that isn't really there.

1 month later
#3541 1 year ago

Funnily enough Cineplex, the biggest distributor of pinball through their company player one in Canada, hasn't bothered to install insider connected into any of their rec room or movie locations that I've been to.

#3561 1 year ago

"Award winning" Wait, they actually got an award at some point for insider connected?

3 weeks later
#3843 1 year ago

Not sure why they are releasing this feature with just three milestones, but I guess this is par for the course for ic.

1 month later
#4069 1 year ago

So I listened to the insider connected video they linked to in the one of the recent emails. While I did skip around a bit it doesn't seem like they mentioned anything specific about what may be coming, just leaving it in the vague, more things are coming, we are listening camp. It kind of reads to me as this is just a gimmick to them, not something that needs to be something much bigger than it currently is. Maybe in their head it's just some new thing they are sticking in machines and there's no real pressure for them to put a lot of time and energy into this thing. Don't get me wrong, I'd rather their focus be on creating new pinball machines, just my take from watching the video.

#4073 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They know exactly what they are doing?
Is that why day 1 launch features are still basically useless? (Operator Stats)
Is that why feature rollout has been glacial for a product that is basically all web-based?
Is that why they didn't hire staff to dedicate to it until many months AFTER launch?
They have yet to outline a model for operators that would even justify why they should buy in..
A product that was ages late.. and still is an infant.
They have a concept that is almost 'impossible to screw up' and they've done a pretty good job of almost killing it themselves. They are going into a market that has already been proven and established by other vendors for ages... yet they can't even get simple things like Time of Day and play counts working for people that spent BIG MONEY to build out their games with retro kits.
The whole thing reeks of a program they dipped their toe in, they were not ready to dedicate what was necessary to execute, and still are trying to play catchup without budget or capacity to do it right.

Very well said, it's as if no one involved in Insider has ever played anything other than pinball games before. I have heard from my local distributor that they are waiting for a critical mass to own these things to really crank out the features, though that sounds a bit like bs than necessarily facts. Like even though they are selling insider connected to home users that they aren't treating this as something that needs to be a full featured product(though they talked about leaderboards on that podcast like they were the greatest thing for the community... ). I am sure Stern is loving tracking how people play their games, I am assuming even if people don't log into Insider they are getting valuable information that will make them more money in the future.

I am not trying to say if you like Insider as it currently is you are wrong, I just have a different opinion. It's not "terrible", just, completely lacking a "killer app" type of feature, something that would make this a must have.

#4093 1 year ago

While I get that Stern doesn't have the resources of a Sony or Microsoft they are still charging what they are charging for Connected so that does put them to a higher standard.

The top features I can think of are:
Daily changing challenges for each table. Challenges akin to rule changes seem less likely but that would be nice.

And some sort of online, the ideal would be a tournament type online mode. As I've mentioned before I don't think they can do online without ghosts(rather than actually playing people live) there is a lot of benefits to ghosts including weeding out the cheaters. But it's important that people are matched by skill level, and that people aren't waiting endlessly in a queue.

#4120 1 year ago

Maybe they want the kids to create the account with the pinball machine? Sounds fun with just the flipper buttons and middle button.

They are releasing an app at some point, in theory they could create easier interfaces that open up a world of possibilities. In... theory... if you still have faith that it won't just be the same setup, just, slightly easier to get to.

3 weeks later
#4182 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

Did you see George Gomez mention on the 007 stream tonight that one of the main reasons for no home leader boards is that operators want this to be exclusive to location play? I am not sure I buy this excuse. I think Stern want to differentiate home and location accounts so that can justify charging pro accounts in the future.

That's pretty sad, since leaderboards aren't even a big deal. Just further enforces that they are out to lunch and tone deaf on this whole thing. Imagine if an actual GOOD home feature was considered, if they are willing to nix features that are sub par to appease operators then forget it, this will never be good.

#4186 1 year ago
Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

An at home leader board is just the high score board on the game. The point of the feature is for locations to do promotions. I don’t understand why you’d want it in the home environment.

My point isn't that leaderboards are a good feature, in fact I stated otherwise. (Though there's more to leaderboards than just local high scores)

It's the general idea that operators are worried that someone might play the $10,000 machine they bought at home rather than at their establishment so let's let that fear drive the home features of Insider Connected. There's no sense to that logic.

1 week later
#4253 1 year ago

Occasionally not being able to connect is a fun feature that we all get to experience every once and awhile.

You basically do the same basic steps you would do if your computer lost connection. Rebooting modems, throwing a fit.

10 months later
#5221 6 months ago

I'm pretty sure they've already heard every good idea regarding IC, yet here we still are.

#5227 6 months ago
Quoted from TroyS:

stubborngamer What would you like to see?

That's an interesting question, in that they haven't really added anything of any real value yet. Even what they've come out with, seems like they could've easily done much more with. If the purpose of Insider Connected is to draw in the younger crowd, they've done what can only be described as the bare minimum, I think maybe the problem is they view Scorbit as their competition, which is a low bar for competition. Monthly rotating challenges for every Insider Connected game seems like something they already have the framework for, but refuse to do. Why they released 4 milestone badges, and never added more is a head scratcher. If you just view some of what they've done, they seem completely focused on driving traffic to locations, but the only way any of that would really work is if they had a progression system, with levels, cosmetic awards, quite frankly the rewards don't have to be meaningful, but it should be this on going thing, something that makes people feel like they are accomplishing things, but they are so far from being anywhere close to any of that. I never scan my IC on location, why would I? They've given me zero incentive to.

I'm not even sure they care about the home market, some type of online play against ghosts would a ton of value to people, but I think they think leaderboards is online play, even though it isn't. Static Leaderboards are a very niche thing, very few people would ever care about being competitive on them.

Look, I could go on forever about what I'd like to see, but I don't think Stern sees Insider Connected as something truly important. Look, I get that they can't put a lot of effort into this thing because they don't have the userbase regular videogames/mobile games have so they can't really ever get to the same profit level. And turning this into a subscription service comes with it's own set of problems both with the home market but especially with the people playing on location. I'm not even sure what they would have to charge to make it worth it. Now they don't need to be subscription service necessarily to justify costs, but again, the limited userbase means some of the ways other games do it might not work with pinball.

It kind of feels like Insider Connected is doomed. And if they are waiting for some critical mass of people having Insider Connected to start putting in the effort that seems misguided.

1 month later
#5368 5 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Not sure about that. I think they can push messages now.

They will just keep updating every machine, like they have been doing, to replace the ads. The only plus you can get from this is they might be too embarrassed to simply release an update with the only change being "new ads!". Yes push messages should be possible and are likely coming, but there's no reason right now to think it's a thing.

Don't be surprised if in the future the ads get forced(with no off position) to try to get people to buy a IC sub. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the only benefit of a IC sub is to remove annoying things they added that currently don't exist.

#5464 5 months ago

Pretty funny, rather than releasing the app with some quests, to give people a reason to login, and maybe not be distracted by the fact it's just the browser version. We instead just get the vague promise of future quests, that could just be a single quest to play Venom on a specific day, and hey, maybe some equally lame elvira quest...

4 weeks later
#5618 4 months ago

Rumor is that Spike 2 can only do so much with Insider Connected, so some of the better features, if they are ever made, might be Spike 3 exclusive. Which is fun to hear if you wasted your money putting Insider Connected into a Spike 2 machine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 269.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 125.88
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ChainsawMods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Incline Village, NV

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider stubborngamer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=stubborngamer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.