stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#73 2 years ago

Hope the games will still function if you choose to disconnect it.

#80 2 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I don't want to end up in the situation where the 10k machine I just bought needs another $4.99 a month to get a complete game experience.

The moment this happens, I never buy another new game. Out.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from JayTeeF:

It would be cool if they could incorporate some type of head to head/matchmaking capabilities to this. Thinking about it though this might be a challenge with latency, etc.

Also it conceptually doesn’t make any sense. Two people looking at two entirely different machines with entirely different physical things happening. This isn’t Fortnite or Mario Kart where you are live interacting with players in the same world & can see each other & interact. Pinball is “you vs. machine”. What someone else is doing on another machine somewhere else isn’t going to add any element of viable gameplay or fun for anyone. At best it’ll just seem like nothing is happening, at worst it’ll be confusing and annoying to have “a ghost” affecting your game somehow.

Not to mention how a limited user base would even make a matchup almost impossible. Online games only work if there are multi-millions of players….won’t work with hundreds.

Stern has this right by doing a stats & achievement approach. You can’t turn multiple physical machines into an online video game. …and yes, I know Gerry’s done it with Cosmic Cart. How’s that working out for the 6 people who have it? Not a needle-mover. Not a compelling gaming experience.

#108 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I've been hoping they might be able to develop a system where you can play head-to-head against someone else from home, and when it's the other player's turn your LCD would just show what's being shown on the LCD of the other player. That way you can see what's going on in that person's game as it happens. You wouldn't be able to see the other person's playfield unless it was a friend and you did a Zoom type of call with them, but seeing the LCD display of another person's game seems like it could be a decent/substitute way to open up head-to-head play against anyone who's logged in. Just pie in the sky thinking though.

How would seeing someone else’s LCD add any fun to what you’re doing? It’s hard enough to pay attention to all the stuff on the LCD for your own game…that would just be confusing and difficult to try to pay attention to someone else’s & try to figure out how that relates to what you’re up to.

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I was thinking of it as when it's the other player's turn to play a ball, you wouldn't be playing and you'd see on your screen what's happening on their screen. Then when their ball is done you play your ball. Like I said, pie in the sky thinking off the top of my head and haven't really thought it through.

How would that be fun? My time is precious...if I'm playing pinball and there's no one else in the room, the last thing I want to do is sit there and stare at my machine, showing me on the LCD what someone else somewhere else is doing. If the goal of this theoretical head-to-head is reaching milestones or high scores...it would be more logical to just be on some leaderboard or friend group through this connectivity...and then just look on the app to compare your goals/scores occasionally vs. "playing live".

#264 2 years ago
Quoted from PINQUEST:

The replay value added to all of the past/present spike 2 games will be incredible.

The very nature of pinball makes it infinitely repayable...that's why most of us fell in love with it as a game we wanted in our homes. Great pinball can be replayed forever and always be fun. If people need extra gimmicks to attain replayability, I mean...congrats? ...but if pinball was already lacking replayability for you, then you'll probably get bored of these gimmicks as well.

#275 2 years ago

I hope new games come with a traditional plastic for the right window of the apron for those who don’t care about this & want to remove it.

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from chickenscratch:

This is all true, an on-screen challenge code would be much better. I don’t even know any normies that know how to use QR code’s anyway; must be a big city thing. I hate whipping out the scanner, personally, for anything.

At least on iPhones, you fire up camera and aim. Some restaurants have QR codes now instead of giving you menus.

#289 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

I posted to Facebook / George Gomez that it was about time the finally release features first introduced by Multimorphic.
As you can image; the comment was promptly deleted after receiving a comment from Gomez himself. I don't know what that comment was because the whole thread was deleted... but apparently they aren't willing to admit this one was a reaction to competition pressure.
I'm glad they are finally thinking about innovation; even when it's to catch up to the competition.

ROTFL. P3 is not competition. They’re a spec on Stern’s buttcheek. P3 probably hasn’t sold 100 games since it launched, while Stern has probably sold 100k in that timespan. P3 is proof that this stuff doesn't move the needle or sell more games. Stern isn’t doing this because they need to. They’re doing it because they can.

#342 2 years ago
Quoted from stubborngamer:

I would assume there is onscreen dmd popups

Modern games don’t have DMD.

#360 2 years ago

Oh hai Stern!

(I guess I live in NJ now lol)

Stern_Insider.pngStern_Insider.pngStern_insider2.pngStern_insider2.png
#365 2 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Sure he has. You bet. Why do I need to take your word for it. You didn't cite and references.
I don't care if it's been a thought in his brain from the 60s or not
It's not fully fleshed out... And I'm sure he did this under competitive pressure. This isn't innovative... Its a copy.
But like anything, it's up for debate because this is pinside

P3 has zero social media game. Stern does, and that's what this new product leverages. They have games on location, location players will use this to have fun. No one knows P3 games exist. Other than "internet", this isn't even remotely like anything P3 is up to, really.

#367 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't believe it's for my location.

I mean, if a game came with it, why not leverage it? You could put out a message that would go out to all the people signed up (or at least the local ones, I'd guess) telling them you have the newest game....or that game is running a tournament, or by playing that game, they can win prizes from Stern. Seems like a winner for ops...free advertising for your location.

#447 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Many operators don’t update the code that ships with the game. Not sure expecting those types to embrace a new ecosystem is the key to success.

I feel like that was true of older ops who’d just toss stuff at a bowling alley & collect the cash box. I think modern ops, especially barcade owners are totally about keeping games current, clean & working.

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from OhmEye:

Yep. No way I'm giving up my movie soundstrack and callouts on GOTG for this.

You’ll abobaleebobo and you’ll like it!!!!

#532 2 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

But you know what I never hear, people asking for innovation.

Innovation can mean different things. I want to see creative innovation: something cool and mechanical and interesting that affects gameplay in a new way that wows us like the first time we saw the BSD Mist Ball, Dr. Who’s Time Expander, MM’s castle, etc.

For me, Stern JP is fairly innovative. You’ve got an animating “living creature” with lots of animation like you’d see at a theme park, and it can eat the ball, drop it on a ramp, and throw it. In addition, the layout & shots & other playfield features like the captive ball car are totally unique - there’s innovation there.

That’s the innovation I like - things that are viscerally satisfying for the player.

#547 2 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

If you don't use a cell phone, this isn't geared towards you clearly.

Even the old farts have a cell phone….this is more about people who live that social media life vs. those who don’t. This will be fun for those who are social media users…and it will result in a cycle of free advertising for Stern to a younger demographic. There’s no downside to this thing, really….and this is coming from someone who probably wouldn’t use it.

#551 2 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

To each their own.
If I got a message that said "Earn the Sparky badge by bashing him 100 times in a single ball, and I had 7 out of 10 badges, I would be like "eh, okay, let's give it a shot". Lets see if I can get 8 badges.
Lets all remember here that we're playing a game for fantasy points. Adding acheivments is exactly the same as working to beat a trillion points.

I get it, people like achievements and badges...even though I love video games, I have never given a F about these things. To me, playing the game is the reward. If I want to feel an "achievement" for bashing Sparky, I'd start the Battery mode, where bashing him is actually the purpose.

2 weeks later
#842 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think it was Burnout Revenge, and that was my favorite one. I never got tired of wrecking cars. Burnout Paradise was all too much and required way too much thought. Just let me wreck shit.

I got Burnout Paradise for PS4 one Black Friday for $10 - was pretty excited cuz I loved Revenge. I started a race & got lost in the city - figured the race would end since I clearly wasn’t on the path. But it wouldn’t end. I couldn’t figure out how to end it and start over or do something else. I couldn’t believe how unintuitive a racing game could be….I haven’t touched it since.

2 weeks later
#1102 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So what's the purpose of the QR reader on the game if I need some means to get the QR code from the screen to the game?

The point is that it’s a quick zap to “log you in” and track your accomplishments without having to do a long convoluted sign in process every time you play pinball. One zap, it knows what game you’re on & your previous history with that game. The idea is that when you step up to that game, you’re already signed up. It’s a simple & elegant solution to this trophy/social concept, IMO.

1 week later
#1339 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Bingo. You will be paying for content. A guy coming from the Mouse Company should know how to squeeze money out of the user. Insider Connect could very well be the vehicle. As Hans Solo said - "I have a bad feeling about this"

Connect as used for a promo tool (trophies, prizes etc) & a way for owners/operators to interact with their machines is cool. The second they treat these $10k machines like free apps & try to make paid DLC a norm, I’m 100% out. I’ll look forward to someone with the hacking skills to jailbreak Spike 2, and will only buy jailbroken games with all features available.

2 years later
#5349 5 months ago

LOL, it’s a bit weird…but it’s not like it’s a Pepsi ad or something totally unrelated.

IMG_3182.jpegIMG_3182.jpegIMG_3183.jpegIMG_3183.jpeg
#5366 5 months ago
Quoted from TroyS:

Love to see other topper fans!

I wasn’t really huge on them, but Rush is Rush…I had no choice.
Deadpool came with it, so there it is!

#5375 5 months ago
Quoted from Tophervette:

Never did see any advertising during game. It is only in attract mode apparently.

lol wait did people think these ads were DURING gameplay?!?! Of course it’s only in attract mode! That’s why the outrage is so goofy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

15,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 125.88
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ChainsawMods

$ 385.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 189.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 16.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.