stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purbeast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2393 2 years ago

Have they said if they are going to be selling kits without the new apron? If I end up getting one it's not going on the apron anyways so I would prefer just the hardware without it.

#2397 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I got a pro kit and a premium. One had an apron, one did not. Same price.

Dang okay so even if it's without the apron it's still $200 anyways huh.

#2413 2 years ago
Quoted from eharan:

I I did the same and works great. I also have a topper and still had a free RJ45 port in the head

It probably depends what game you have. Like I know the Stern topper for JP adds an extra game mode and lights up differently based on what you are doing in the game, so there is data going between the topper and the game, so I'm assuming it would need that network cable plugged in. Versus being just something that lights up, like the Tilt Topper I have on my JP.

1 week later
#2458 2 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The only cable going to it is an Ethernet cable. In theory you could mount it anywhere with a small mounting box. Inside the coin door sitting on the coin box? On the wall? I also don't like the current mounts for the coin door. Now that I have one in hand, I might try to design a better mount for the coin door that doesn't look so dorky.

What do you think is wrong with the current ones on the coin door?

I think they look very nice and clean.

#2512 2 years ago

As someone who likes to tinker you all are making me wonder if it would be as simple as just getting any old QR reader and it's just sending data over the rj45 connection and the node board/software is handling everything else.

Like would something like these 3 things just "work" lol.

reader - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000239005664.html

usb -> rj45 adapter - https://www.amazon.com/UCEC-USB2-0-Ethernet-Adapter-Connector/dp/B014UU7ZFI

You'd need some kind of extension cable obviously but I wonder if it would be as simple as that and figuring out how to mount it properly.

#2515 2 years ago
Quoted from HarrieD:

It's RJ45 alright but it's no ethernet. Please be aware of that. If you look on the spike-2 cpu board on top there is 1 ethernet port so you can hook your machine via a UTP cable to your network via the ethernet standard.
The bottom side of your spike-2 cpu board houses 3 UTP connections for connecting the node board, qr-reader, topper etc to your cpu board. This is a propriatary bus and I think (don't know for sure) this is a stern standard. It utilizes UTP cabling but the similarities stop there.
Your USB to RJ45 adaptes will not function.

Yeah the adapter seems like it could be an issue. I know people use cat6 cable to extend HDMI cables, but that includes a converter of sorts at both ends of the cat6 cable.

5 months later
#3569 1 year ago

Sounds like this won't work based on recent posts, but can someone who has IC give a try where they log into the Home Team thing, verify they are logging in automatically, turn off the pin, unplug the IC node board, turn it on and verify that the Home Team thing does or does not work?

Again, all signs point to it won't work like that since it won't find the IC integration boards, but figured it would be helpful if someone can actually verify this.

But if it does work, then I'd go a different route than hooking up a switch to my GZ so that I can get JP on IC.

EDIT:

And I can't test this yet because my GZ arrives tomorrow, else I'd give it a try myself.

#3575 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yes it works, you don't need a scanner on theme when you've got the home team enabled.

Okay awesome thanks!

However if I have friends come over and they want to create an account, I'm assuming I would need a scanner added in order to get a new user added to the Home Team feature?

Or can you add people without the scanner somehow?

#3588 1 year ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Home Team Video Tutorial:

In this video, it doesn't even look like the Beatles game has IC installed on the apron and they install Home Team on there, unless it just looks different on the Beatles. But I didn't see any square QR reader on the apron.

So this means that you can install it on other games you have (that support IC) without ever having to hook up a scanner to it?

#3592 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I see something that looks like it on the right apron[quoted image]

Okay you are probably correct. I'm not familiar with that game but the placement of that looks a bit lower/right than the IC's I've seen on other machines. It could also just be the angle. Looking at a pic of the playfield from the top, it doesn't have that light so you are probably correct.

If you look at the standard IC on Rush, it looks rectangle in the "normal" place.

https://i.imgur.com/sVsRL0M.png

The Beatles just looks different - looks like it's round or not rectangular and in a different spot, and it's not the standard red IC cover on the apron. I've never seen it on Beatles though so not sure.

https://i.imgur.com/Ev8ltSj.jpg

#3596 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

This is where Stern put it on my factory build.
[quoted image]

Ooooh okay thanks for clarifying. I just assumed they were all in the same spot, so n/m on my original post!

#3597 1 year ago

You can also clearly see the IC on the left side in the video.

Screen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.18.52 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2022-08-03 at 3.18.52 PM (resized).png
#3664 1 year ago

Just got my GZ Premium hooked up/updated last night and played 2 games. My second game isn't showing if I log into my profile right now on the web. Is it just because I cut off the game too quick and it will update later? Or is it "lost" for good? It was a GC score too lol but nothing I'm sure I won't beat as I play more.

I also want to get the home team thing working on my JP pro which does not have IC on it.

What exactly do I need in order to do that? Is it just a wifi dongle? Or do I also need to buy an additional SD card of sorts?

Then after I have all that installed, do I just run a network cable from my GZ IC node board to JP and power on JP, and it'll have IC so I can set it up, then remove it from JP and can use home team?

Sorry for lumping all this together, just looking for a little guidance to get this up and running as soon as possible.

#3669 1 year ago

As someone who used IC for the first time last night, the light is a lot less bright than it looks in videos and stuff. I was happy about that. Especially since I play in the dark most of the time.

#3670 1 year ago

Anyway to change the way it displays "USERNAME Gameroom" when showing that part about IC in the game? I don't like how it's all caps and was just wondering. Not a huge deal, but I will change it if possible.

#3672 1 year ago

I am updating my JP right now to the latest code and I am going to try and hook my GZ IC to it once I'm up to date so I can register my JP with IC, and then use Home Team on JP without the QR reader connected.

I just grabbed a wifi USB dongle and a 16gb MicroSD card.

This may be a really dumb question, but where does this 16gb card go in my JP?

EDIT:

n/m I found it.

#3674 1 year ago

Anyone who has a Micro Center nearby and needs a usb wifi adapter and/or microSD card, I can confirm these items work as I just got Home Team running on my JP without a QR reader installed (hooked up my GZ to it for game registration).

microSD card - $3.79 - https://www.microcenter.com/product/486146/micro-center-16gb-microsdhc-card-class-10-flash-memory-card-with-adapter
usb wifi dongle - $9.99 - https://www.microcenter.com/product/395710/tp-link-tl-wn725n-150mbps-wireless-n-nano-usb-adapter

#3681 1 year ago

Can you add friends on IC so you can compare scores with your buddies? Or is that not a thing yet?

I couldn't find an easy way to add someone as a friend or anything so wasn't sure, but their UX isn't the best on their web page lol.

I couldn't believe how tough it was for me to find my QR code. It should be right in your damn face when you are on your profile. I was on my laptop though not mobile.

#3727 1 year ago
Quoted from barakandl:

MicroCenter had house brand 16gb microsd cards for super cheap and they worked fine in all four games.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/644256/micro-center-16gb-microsdhc-card-class-10-flash-memory-card-with-adapter-2-pack
Before I saw this thread and realized the game would format the microsd for you, I was figuring this out on my own and thought I had to clone the SD card in a game with a scanner. In doing the cloning I did find out you can take microsd card out of Godzilla and put it in another game and it works directly without formatting.

You can get a single one for $3.79 too.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/486146/micro-center-16gb-microsdhc-card-class-10-flash-memory-card-with-adapter

And I mentioned this before, but the $9.99 wifi usb adapter works perfectly fine too.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/395710/tp-link-tl-wn725n-150mbps-wireless-n-nano-usb-adapter

I am using both of these in my JP that doesn't even have a QR reader installed and Home Team is working just fine.

#3734 1 year ago

Is the wifi dongle that comes with the IC kit just kinda shotty?

When I turn on GZ it doesn't recognize my wifi for quite a bit, then after I played one game last night, it wasn't connected again and wouldn't connect unless I reset the machine.

I have quite a few things connect to wifi down here that don't have any issues, and they are all connected to a 2.4ghz wifi access point that is literally like directly above the pin, on the floor above in my kitchen. Probably like 10 feet through the ceiling.

I haven't played my JP since I setup Home Team in there though to see how that one connects. It has some microcenter dongle that worked fine to set it up initially.

#3737 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

All USB dongles like this are quite limited in their antenna space and therefore antenna performance. Couple that with the fact that the backbox is a 3 sided metal box that RF signals can't penetrate very easily, you can end up with really poor performance.
You can try placing the WiFi dongle on the end of a 1M USB extension cable and routing it out of the backbox through the topper access hole in the top of the backbox. I cut the WIFI upgrade time from over 3 hours to just under 1 hour with this simple change.
Amazon Basics USB 3.0 Extension Cable - A-Male to A-Female Extender Cord - 3 .3 Feet (2 Pack), Black https://a.co/d/7IewHKA

Thanks, just ordered that 2 pack!

1 week later
#3795 1 year ago
Quoted from RobbyIRL5:

Copy that. I thought the Wi-Fi wouldn’t work without an IC connection.

You have to setup IC once on the machine without a QR reader and after you do that, you won't need the reader ever again as long as you just use your home team.

I did this with my JP and just ran a network cable from the QR reader to an empty port on JP, setup IC connect with the QR reader in GZ, powered it off and hooked the QR reader back up to GZ, powered on JP and it could connect online and I have home team working on it.

#3856 1 year ago

Anyone heard anything about an API for insider connected? I googled but found nothing. I’m guessing nothing yet if google failed me.

2 weeks later
#3952 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I took delivery of GZ Premium yesterday, my second machine with Insider Connected. The first machine connected immediately and has been trouble free since then, but I’m having issues with GZ despite it being in the same room and connected to the same AP.
I managed to get it connected to the AP when I set it up yesterday, and scanned my insider QR code to link it to my account. I logged in and completed the registration and it’s now showing on my profile. However, the game now reports that it’s unable to connect to Insider Connected, and when I test the connection I get a result for CDN speed test, but server loopback reports no connection. It also thought I was up to date on code 0.97 when 0.98 is available.
I’ve reset the Wi-Fi dongle and connected to the AP again using the QR code generated by the other machine which is connected to Insider, checked the time on the game is correct, and updated to 0.98 via USB and I’m still having the exact same issues. Does anyone have any suggestions re how I troubleshoot?

I got a GZ Premium in early August and it's the on IC machine I have.

I ended up buying a wifi dongle and microSD card for my JP, hooked the scanner to it to setup home team, then removed the scanner. So now it works with home team no problem.

I was getting much better network connections with JP and the MicroCenter dongle than I was with the one Stern provided for GZ. Someone pointed me to a USB extension cable and I got one and my wifi dongle now is just dangling out on top of my GZ machine. But since it's not in that metal box, it seems to be getting better connections now. Maybe try that? I'm guessing the wifi dongle Stern puts in there just isn't the greatest, at least not in my experience.

3 weeks later
#4098 1 year ago

I got an extender and had mixed results with it, to the point that I just got rid of it and bought the same TP-LINK I ended up getting for my JP that doesn't even have IC installed in it. I never had an issue with it in JP, and once I got one for GZ, I too have never had an issue with connections, and could get rid of the extender popping out the top.

#4103 1 year ago
Quoted from Nameim:

As a home user, with young grandchildren, it would be helpful if we could create multiple identities on a single home account. This way, my grown children could create accounts for themselves, and their kids, my grandsons, could “piggyback” on their parents accounts. These young kids do not have phones or have their own email addresses but would like to be part of the “home team”. It seems like this would be a great way for Stern to “grow the base” of future pinball players/owners,

You can add them to the home team very easily without them having a phone. Just create their account for them and add them to your home team, and then they can just select themselves in the game.

#4110 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

Exactly and kids these days want to compete for badges against each other.

But they won't even know about the badges they have, if they aren't looking at their (non existent?) account, on some sort of computer or mobile device.

It sounds like what you are asking for just kind of doesn't make any sense in a real world scenario.

#4113 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

They can see badges by having the accounts share their stats with someone you DO trust to have an account.

And what do you think they will have to use in order to view those stats?

#4114 1 year ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Kids that are interested in pinball also seems a little far fetched

I am talking about having these sub accounts for home use only.

You are looking to solve a problem that doesn't really exist. The problem has already been solved two fold by Nintendo, Sony, and Xbox with their consoles and online platforms, and every one requires an account.

I made an account for my son on his Switch. He's 7 and doesn't know that the account is even tied to an email. He's setup as a child account on our family plan but he has a "real" account.

You could so easily just do this and your problem is solved, but for some reason you are choosing not to because you want some alternative solution that just doesn't make sense, especially since the problem is already solved.

Multiple people in this thread have given you some great suggestions on how to do this.

Once they are the Home Team, regardless how they get there, all they have to do is hold the left flipper and select their profile.

#4118 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Uhh... the fact someone needs a computing device and logins to see any stats isn't going to be solved by having secondary accounts.
So like I said (and you quoted) "someone you DO trust to have an account." who obviously logs in and shows them the stats.
If you don't trust them to have logins.. and you don't trust them to use computing devices... what is your solution to have these child accounts see everything?

I know. My point was he doesn’t want them to have a device yet he wants them to be able to view and share stats. And that isn’t possible.

#4119 1 year ago
Quoted from Smack:

FYI, while you are playing if you hold the flippers and then start cycling through screens it will show you all of the achievements you have earned and the ones you are yet to earn.
Not as easy as looking at it on a computer which can show you all of your achievements for all games you have played, but here is a way a child could review their achievements directly from the machine itself.

Thanks I was not even aware of that.

#4128 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Well, using an email based account for a child is slightly problematic in countries where in theory, you can't create an email for account for anyone below a certain age. For example, can't create an account for anyone below 15 in France on Google (and I believe it's actually a legal requirement)
You can cheat, sure, and setup a false birth date, but then it introduces a whole set of new issues, specifically:
- You can't change the birth date of said account afterward. So you have to create a very specific account just for the purpose of cheating the birth date.
- At the majority date, Google will enable full access to their services. Since you cheated on the birth date, well... This means that your 10y old now have full Google access. Not good IMO
Nintendo solved it by creating a child account notion, as you point out, but it does not have to be tied to a dedicated email. It is controlled by a specific guardian account. They can from their app see their own achievements/etc, but these accounts are limited
So in my opinion the request is very valid, at least until there is a notion of a worldwide "legal identify e-card" which could be used to create account (and restrict/enable services per local government regulations). Email definitely is not such an identity e-card.

Use the gmail dot trick with your own gmail account.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Blackwood, NJ
$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 35.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Performance Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Glen Ellyn, IL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 120.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The Games People

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 185.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Raiden Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purbeast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=purbeast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.