stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3071 1 year ago
Quoted from Bluthgg:

Submit a warranty ticket - that’s what I had to do for my Godzilla reader. Sometimes the light is off completely, sometimes it’s fine, most of the time it flickers.

Is the light meant to stay on all the time?

#3076 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

yes they are meant to be on all the time.
I've got one where its off but still scans, and another where it flickers but scans nothing got both via Cointaker and reported to stern and they have logged the failure and will send them out - I guess they have a backlog.
Also had two of the StarTech USB sticks kick the bucket but I have few spare.

Thanks very much, appreciate the info. I will contact our distro today.

4 months later
#4058 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

5GHz likely even worse. haven't quite finally worked it what the cause is but the games seem to struggle if the far end isn't responsive.

I wouldn't buy that dongle, they are failing pretty regularly. This is better and alot cheaper:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015TCA2EM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks very much for posting this. I need a little bit more help please.

Do you plug this wifi dongle straight into the CPU or do you use a connector?

#4063 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Wasn't that one, it was this: amazon.com link »[quoted image]

Awesome, thanks!

#4079 1 year ago

We have a couple of games on IC. Is it possible to create a Leaderboard with a home account?

I see that if you have a pro account, pretty easy to do but we only have a home gameroom.

#4081 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

Right now you cannot do this but really hope in the future we can.

Thanks very much..We hope so too!

#4086 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I plug it straight into the USB on the CPU board.

Thanks mate, I have it sorted!

#4089 1 year ago
Quoted from TroyS:

What is everyone’s one must have item you would like to see next from Insider?

Leaderboards for home collections.

#4100 1 year ago
Quoted from maroot:

Good idea on the USB extender. I managed to get it working again with the original dongle. Signal strength of 48 doesn’t sound too good and my router is about 15 feet away. I may look into the TP-Link dongle. Thanks for the advice!

There is plenty of help already on this thread. You need to ensure that you buy the correct dongles, extenders, etc. I just got educated on this recently by a few helpful pinsiders. If you look back through the thread you will find links to the items you are looking for.

1 month later
#4273 1 year ago
Quoted from DiabloRush:

The QR reader on our GZ stopped working. No white light, won't scan. Board shows ethernet activity and blue LEDS. Tried unplugging/replugging all cables, testing (with HV switch properly pulled out) and still no response. If I unplug/replug the ethernet cable, the white illumination briefly turns on, then turns off. Any thoughts? Figured I'd ask here before starting a ticket with Stern. Thanks.

If you have warranty, put in and get a new reader. Machines cost a lot of coin so they should work.

I have taken one apart and the main issue is the small ribbon cable joining the two pcbs in the scanner. The connectors for the ribbon cable to the pcbs were not very good (flakey contacts), on the newer pcbs there are different connectors for the ribbon cable. Issue resolved.

#4301 1 year ago
Quoted from donjagra:

You guys are awesome! Looks like I have a project over the Thanksgiving break. I don't feel like shelling out for a full kit at the moment.
$25 at Office Depot, curbside later this morning.
Update: this dongle isn't being recognized by the game. Do I need a specific USB wifi?

If you go back through this thread, you will find links to which dongle to buy. Dongle must be compatible with the software already loaded in the CPU.

4 weeks later
#4461 1 year ago
Quoted from Jarkko:

I bought a bunch of "Verbatim 44082 16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC with Adapter"s amazon.com link » to finally make my Spike2 pins compatible with Home Team. I connected the QR reader, inserted the SD card and the wifi antenna amazon.com link » and turned the game on. The pin started to format the card but got stuck here forever. I tried two different pins (JP and Mando) and three different cards, same thing. Although I know it's not needed, I tried to pre-format the SD card in a Windows laptop first, either via quick format or a normal one. Tried both FAT32 and NTFS, no luck. Tried to remove the partition from the card, the game doesn't even detect the card was inserted. Recreated the partition, back to square one, the formatting takes forever again until I gave up and power cycled the machine.
I then took another brand of a microsd card (Kingston I think, don't know which model) from a Raspberry Pi, and it formatted the card in maybe 10 or 20 seconds. Damn.
It seems that if I clone the Kingston card to the Verbatim one by using Win32 Disk Imager, the pin approves the card. An extra step and requires an extra 20 minutes per card, but at least I don't need to buy new cards and discard these. It remains to be seen if these work 100% or if any issues occur in the long run.
Also, as some have pointed out here, updating the code via IC is pretty slow, and requires that the QR reader is hooked up. I think it's faster to just download the code to a laptop, store on a USB stick and update in the old way.
TL;DR: some micro SD card brands or models don't seem to be compatible with Insider Connected. The formatting takes forever. Use a different brand/model in that case.

This has been discussed before. For some reason the Spike 2 CPU is not compatible with some brands of Micro SD cards. Try a different brand Micro SD card. If you search back through the thread you will find which brands work.

11 months later
#5594 4 months ago

If Stern want people to start using IC, Stern need to become a bit more serious about making it work properly across all time zones and all machines.

e.g.

Godzilla starts today, it is 11.28am December 20 in Australia. Nothing is registering across my IC account.

Yes, I have the time zones correct on my IC account and all our games. Yes, I logged out of the game.

Same thing happened in the 007 challenge. IC did not pick up all the games and scores.

#5596 4 months ago
Quoted from EJS:

I think the event starts December 20th Central time/ Chicago IL time

Thanks for the info, I appreciate that. I think that is where we fell over with the 007 challenge as well. This is why I really like Pinside so much. There is always a fellow Pinsider that will help out.

Exactly what I am talking about.

Not very smart as that means for us (Eastern Australia 90% of the population) the comp starts at 6.00pm on the 20th December and you have to play sometime between 6.00pm and midnight (tonight) to qualify some of the badges.

#5603 4 months ago
Quoted from EJS:

Except I go to bed at 10:30pm “Stern time” and RA77 & pinballaddicted will be well decorated with badges when I wake up tomorrow morning.
It doesn’t bother me either way. We all get the exact same amount of time to complete stuff.
But now it’s got me wondering how they calculate achievements that only have a 24 hour window.
Friday the 13th
October 31st
December 25th
May 4th
All 24 hour achievement sensitive dates.

Ha ha! I am not sure how well decorated, my flipper skills are not that good.

Thanks to you, I have now worked out that we Aussies only have a 6 hour window to do the 24hr challenges. On the day from 6.00pm to midnight. The dates are still worked by location of machine and user.

1 month later
#5868 63 days ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Just guessing, but I think it's probably just poor wording on the Quest page. The date for the quest shows Feb. 13-Feb. 14, but the wording of the quest description says "On Valentine's Day, scan and play...."
They've had issues like this on other quests where the date listed doesn't sync with the description of the quest by a day. Could be to account for international time zones?

Once again bad wording on the quest badge info. The info was just not clear enough.

It clearly says. "Play on Valentines Day"
It also clearly says in Aus. "Play between the 14th and 16th February"

Which one is it?

The machines are set up in each country by time zone. The badge only need to say "Play on Valentines Day"

3 weeks later
#6006 42 days ago
Quoted from RA77:

The game is not ready for the event.
1.0 code should be minimum requirement.

Not really. Game has been released and is in arcades and homes. Stern put out the event and the player was good enough to smash out an amazing score. I think it should stand.

If that was a comp night, score would stand.

#6012 41 days ago
Quoted from RA77:

Sorry Con, have to politely disagree.
The way I read it, was an exploit due to a code fail ?

All good Richard, it is all in good fun and I ike the discussion. He played the game and is good enough to work out a way to score massive points.. That is what every comp player does. Stern have sorted the scoring imbalance.

There are some amazing players in this hobby. I think it will happen again before the end of the comp!

#6017 41 days ago
Quoted from dtrimberger:

Yup, all this likely did was piss off Eric so that he now goes and blows up BM66

Hilarious!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, PA
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

$ 269.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballaddicted.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=pinballaddicted and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.