stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 2 years ago

Just listening to the podcast now, so maybe some of this is answered, but my initial thoughts/concerns:

1) You'd think Spike 2 would've been designed with WiFi on board for future proofing. Only reason I can think it wouldn't be is because some bean counter said "let's just charge for it later!!!".

2) Agree with Joetechbob, not sure of the need of a QR reader on the game. Seems like an unnecessary point of potential failure, and an additional expense. Maybe there are some feature workflows they have in mind where it is necessary, but I am dubious.

3) What is the monthly fee going to be to have your machines hooked up to this new revolutionary system?

#59 2 years ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

How would you associate game plays to players with just a QR code on the game? The only thing you could go off of is timestamps for the games and the timestamp of the player scanning the QR code into their phone. You'd have to do some sort of matching game on the backend which would unveil a slew of use cases that might not be accurate. For example, what if either the phone or the pinball machine are offline when the QR code is scanned or the game is started. While the solution sounds device centric, by scanning a players QR code you can at least accurately say this game is being played by player xyz and even store a bit of personalization in the QR code itself like player initials or name.

Off the top of my head, a unique QR code is generated on the screen when a player "logs in" to the game. They scan it with their phone, and away you go. There are always multiple ways to skin a cat. To be fair, I haven't been looking at this problem for a couple of years like the the Stern team has, so I am sure they have thought everything through more than me.

I just think an additional hardware requirement would've been the least desirable design outcome, unless selling the hardware was a potential revenue stream you wanted.

#78 2 years ago

Just heard GG mention on the podcast that "full access" insiders will potentially have more "play stuff" (starting at around the 43 min mark). Not sure exactly what this "play stuff" will be, but it is pretty obvious that one of the end goals of this is to create a solid subscription revenue stream for Stern.

Good for the business, sucks for the players. I don't want to end up in the situation where the 10k machine I just bought needs another $4.99 a month to get a complete game experience.

#89 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The moment this happens, I never buy another new game. Out.

With the rumored price increases I might be out anyway. Its getting harder to justify the expenditure even to myself.

#236 2 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Is Stern really on the hook for what happens to their computer based machine once it has passed into the hands of the end user?

Genuinely asking because I'm not sure how much liability they would actually have in regards to their licensing contract goes when it comes to something like that.

If the licensor gets pissed about it because they think Stern did it, or is allowing the user to end run around the license agreement, it could go bad. Not sure what Stern would legally be liable for, but lawsuits aside it would be bad enough for a licensor like Disney to say "screw you" to Stern because of it and just not grant them anymore licenses.

#242 2 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Granted. Pinball is such a small market I would be surprised if it is even a blip on the Disney radar.

Not even a blip on a blip. They probably make more selling souvenirs from one shop in one day at one of the parks then they make from licensing pinball.

#329 2 years ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

since you watched the Gomez video, you saw the part where he said, "..and if you don't want to use this feature, you can simply choose to not utilize it and just play your game as you always have." (paraphrasing) Problem solved. I like to just play sometimes. But other times, I might want to partake is this additional feature. It's great being able to have both, one, or neither.

Yeah, but:

Quoted from roar:

Going to quote myself here... this line at the end of the video "...and other features that are extensions of the game that you're really going to like..." gave me no comfort that something like multi-player coming to past titles will be "free". This one line, that I'm sure I'm reading into, tells me the DLC model is officially here.

Agreed. And to quote myself:

Quoted from paul_8788:

Just heard GG mention on the podcast that "full access" insiders will potentially have more "play stuff" (starting at around the 43 min mark). Not sure exactly what this "play stuff" will be, but it is pretty obvious that one of the end goals of this is to create a solid subscription revenue stream for Stern.

So both in the podcast and in the video he alludes to gameplay features being tied to this system in the future. What is unknown yet is how much it will cost. If this were all free I would be all sunshine and rainbows. But it is not free. All new machines going forward will have this system price baked in, which coincides pretty nicely with the rumored price hikes. Where the fun will really start is if/when they decide to paywall certain gameplay features behind it. Woohoo.

#396 2 years ago

Plus, static QR code is worse for player security.

"Look, I printed off a QR code so I don't have to use my phone!".

Three beers later:

"Fuck, I lost my card!"

Now some dingus has your card. Maybe not a big issue in the scheme of things, but a dynamic security QR code that the pin generates and displays on the screen has other benefits, not just eliminating a QR reader from each pin.

#401 2 years ago

And who made the decision to not include WiFi in Spike 2? WiFi existed for about 20 years before they started the design of it, so it would've had to be discussed. I think the conversation went something like:

"We could include Wifi on Spike 2 for $x a CPU to future proof it and have it ready for our online plans!"

"No way, let's just sell a dongle when we are ready, and be able to charge $4x!!!!"

Bah. Starting to rant and go negative. I am a big Stern supporter, but I just get a bad feeling from this in general. I really don't want to have to spend extra bucks for a system like this, whether I want to use it or not the cost will be there for future pins, and if they designed it slightly differently from the get go no one would have to.

#418 2 years ago
Quoted from skink91:

What were the requirements (from the get go)? What were the risks of adding something that may/may not be used (from the get go)?

Just saying… its easy to hindsight/armchair-quarterback and say things like ‘should have back then’.

Quoted from flynnibus:

No, there are good reasons for not including wireless in the spike CPU years before you'd use it

1) Radio requires different kinds of certifications and testing
2) Radio frequency use is regional
3) Putting wifi on the board still needs external antennas
4) Putting wifi on the board locks you into the feature set of that wifi chip

By using a dongle via common interface, you separate spike from all those things. The system was always intended to be modular - putting radio as a module or component totally fits that architecture. There is really no gain from putting it onboard when it's such a commodity item that is better served by being externalized.

Fair enough. Never thought of the region thing. I know they have had way more time to think about everything than me and have some smart people there. As I mentioned, I know I am getting negative.

Just not looking forward to having to decide whether or not to shell out cash for features for a pin I have already paid thousands for.

#457 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Why? when a USB port is more universal and does what is needed... the problem isn't there wasn't expansion, the poster wanted the radio built into the cpu board.

To be clear, the poster (me), isn't really concerned about the specific implementation. I fully concede that a USB dongle or some other modular way of doing the Wi-Fi is better. You made good points.

If I changed my original post to say "out of the box" instead of "on the cpu" would that make my problem clearer? Having Wi-Fi is now going to be an additional cost added on to a system that really should have had it out of the box. I don't think it is a hindsight thing, Spike 2 was designed in 2015 or so. Wi-Fi was pretty ubiquitous. There must've been a decision point to NOT include it back in the design phase, and I would have to guess that the option to sell it as an additional addon at some point was somewhere in that discussion.

When this was announced my first thought was that all Stern was going to need to do was enable the Wi-Fi through the firmware because the hardware was always capable and this was going to be a no brainer kinda thing. Just flabbergasted it wasn't already part of the platform. Now I am going to have to order some kit, paying the MSRP, plus exchange, plus shipping plus tax just to have even basic hardware capabilities that $100.00 DVD players had like 15 years ago. As an added bonus though I also get a QR reader! So, worth it?

At the end of the day, I will have a decision to make as to whether or not to adopt this system on my existing pins and now there is a barrier to entry that didn't really need to be there.

1 week later
#677 2 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

"Subscription based service" - there you go. That's what this is really all about. Revenue stream.

Yeah, and it scares me. If the Premium features are gameplay things like extra modes similar to the topper dlc then I will not be happy. If they are just extra tracking and marketing things for operators on the backend then not as concerned.

1 week later
#813 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

That's a strawman logical fallacy. No one is arguing you should own an incomplete game.

Trying to define "complete" in a situation where you can add things after the game leaves the factory is a fools errand. Do we buy computers that are not complete because we can add software to them to suit our use case? Of course not. The computer is complete as we purchased it. If we want additional capabilities we can add them.

That's a terrible analogy.

A computer's main function is to run other software packages. You don't even get an OS unless you pay for it. That is understood when you buy the computer. You buy the computer to later install software on it to do what you want. If you want to add more RAM, you have to pay for more. But you understood 100% when you bought the computer that this would be the case.

With a pinball machine, the common understanding is that you buy the hardware (pin), and get all software that runs on it (game code) for free. Now, it is very possible that Stern will release new features for something like Deadpool and will require you to pay $300.00 for the Connect hardware/software and $40.00 a year to access it. That completely changes how pinball has worked since, forever.

As far as defining "complete" after the game leaves the factory, it is pretty simple. "Complete" means all game code ever released for that particular pin, ever. Topper DLC modes, Insider Connect gameplay modes, whatever they come up with.

#814 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

What exactly is the difference? It's always been "anybody's guess as to what you will or will not get" with code updates. You can assume code will eventually get to 1.0 but you never know exactly what that entails.

But you always knew it was free. Whatever they came out with you could just download. That is the difference, and it is a big one.

The Judge Dredd case is again, not equivalent. No one who bought Judge Dredd had to pay more to have the super game functionality in the machine. Yes, a player would have to pay an extra quarter or whatever to play the mode, but not even close to the same thing.

#820 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The idea of a game being 'enhanced' and not just having fixes or incomplete concepts being wrapped up is a value add behavior that is relatively new. And sometimes used to help drive interest in an existing title... because now, unlike 15+ years ago, companies continue to run titles beyond their initial production runs. So adding new features through software is a way to keep driving interest in a title.

The market and product today is different then it was 15+ years ago. We live in a digital age where people are accustomed to software defined functionality... post-sale enhancements... entitlement based features (software locked functionality). Trying to define what is in the base product and hence entitled to you for free based on how things were done 20+ years ago just is not sound logic. It would be like arguing we can't use fiat money because money used to always have intrinsic value. Well... not convention today.

You can't define what is 'complete' in a game developed in 2021 based on how commercial operated equipment ran in 1994.

Thank you for the condescension and the pedantic explanation of value add through software. I get it. My career was in the software industry, so I am well aware of what happens in the digital age. Any attempt to compare what happens in software products that someone pays $60.00 for to $6000.00 pinball machines is a stretch at best.

Your comparisons to 15 and 20 years ago are also not relevant. This did not change in the pinball industry 15 to 20 years ago, I am not pining for the good old days. I am defining what is 'complete' in a game (assumed everyone knew I meant "pinball machine" when I said game) developed in 2021 based on how commercial operated equipment (pinball machines) ran the day before Stern announced Insider Connect. Which was a few weeks ago, not 1994 ffs.

#825 2 years ago
Quoted from MrMikeman:

Wow people sure are paranoid and love spreading fear about "new" tech lol. Not ANYWHERE in the interviews with GG or in the currently published articles has there been any talk about LIMITING games and preventing things from being done without paying extra. Sheesh.

Disagree. Gomez has mentioned everywhere he has talked about this that there will be future features locked behind "All Access" subscriptions. Gary has mentioned it. It is coming.

1 month later
#1450 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Like you and others have said, stern likely has their reasons for doing what they did, but the need to retrofit older games to me does not seem like the way to go with expensive hardware. sorry for beating a dead horse.

Not sure why Stern wouldn't offer a non-QR reader workflow for Insider Connect. Would allow people with pre-Insider Connect pins to just buy a wifi dongle for $20 to get the Insider Connect features, and would provide an alternative workflow for if/when a QR reader on location is broken. Maybe that is on the roadmap for the future.

While I think it would be fun to have achievements, spending a $1000.00 to upgrade my existing pins to Connect is not something I am going to do.

#1516 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I'm still not clear if a monthly fee will be required for Insider Connected, like there is for Scorbit, can someone please clarify ? I tried to find the information, but did not see a clear statement

If a fee is required, then the value add over Scorbit is rather low, since I would prefer a single user interface that would work across several machines (not just Spike2), plus allowing me to transfer the unit from machine to machine (with appropriate adapters).

If no fee, then this makes more sense as this become an integral part of the Pinball experience

As of right now, there is no fee as far as I am aware. However Stern has announced that there are two tiers of accounts, the "Insider Connected" (free) and "Insider Connected All Access" (paid, currently $40 a year I think). Exactly what will be in one tier vs the other hasn't been made clear at this point.

1 year later
#5041 9 months ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Thanks! Hopefully Stern gets their heads out of their ass and makes it available for everyone. It creates brand loyalty and generates buzz and interest in their games, so it would be a wise move from a business standpoint.

From what Gomez has said the delay is due to making sure they have all the privacy and security concerns addressed. Don't know specifically what the concerns are, but it is something they are planning on releasing. Some day.

1 week later
#5072 9 months ago
Quoted from MRudowsky:

I’m having the same problem on my Foo and reported it yesterday. Mine only logs me out when there’s no ball n the Overlord lock and I start a new game with the lockbar button before the match sequence. If the ball is locked, I wait until it’s released and hits the trough. In that case, I don’t get logged out. Didn’t do that on the previous version of code.

I've had it happen to me a couple times. On mine it seems to be related to how quickly you hit the start button when the match screen appears. If I wait 2 or 3 seconds it seems okay. Haven't fully tested to confirm though.

3 months later
#5345 5 months ago
Quoted from Desmodromic:

I noticed this too and directly went to turn it off. I couldn't find the setting to disable this, if anybody does find the right setting, please share it here.

Standard Adjustment 55 - Display Message of the Day

#5348 5 months ago

Wondering if at some point operators will be able to put their own video in for "message of the day". Upload something that is max x seconds long to their insider account and have all connected games display it as part of the attract mode.

1 week later
#5429 5 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I mean... Stern Insider probably has what.. probably 10-30k users? Maybe a few hundred or a thousand were trying this morning? They obviously muffed this roll out.

Yeah, that's the thing that boggles my mind. It isn't like this is a complicated system. Login, throw down some static data and a bit of user data. Shouldn't be hard to scale to the relatively small number of users.

3 weeks later
#5586 4 months ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

So I’ve read some of the key posts but I think I want something a little simpler. Are there instructions for how to connect my non insider connected machines to my insider connected machines just to to get the home team set up on them. Not looking for anything permanently connected once I get my wife and I set up we are done.

Basically this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/74#post-7063311

Each none IC game needs an internet connection (wired or buy a wifi dongle), 16GB micro SD or larger. Run an ethernet cable from a game with a scanner to one without and register the game to your account. Once registered you can disconnect the scanner and just use Home Team on the game with no scanner.

There are lots of posts in this thread with info, just search for home and scanner should get you good results.

1 week later
#5625 4 months ago
Quoted from mbelofsky:

I have Foo Prem with Insider Connect. I have an older JP Prem with 1.13 installed. I have been searching through this forum to find instructions to use the reader on the foo to set up home team on the JP.

Your steps are mostly correct, except after you setup the network connections on JP you have to register it to your Insider Connect account, using the reader on Foo. Once registered your Home Team should automatically show up.

Quoted from mbelofsky:

Thanks. When you say camera, that’s the ic reader in the apron that I’d connect with the rj45 cable from foo board to a node board under the playfield on JP?

Yes, he means the reader.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 16.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 14.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 17.99
Playfield - Plastics
Lermods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.