Screenshot_20220705-225627_Brave (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240303-160259 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-160308 (resized).png
IMG_7516 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240302-195526 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider palmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#121 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I’m hoping this isn’t a huge dumpster fire akin to Microsoft’s horribly bungled Xbox One launch. That was a disaster and left a bad taste with players.

I wouldn't called it bungled. There was backlash from players, which made Microsoft change their plans. I wish they would have stuck with their original ideas. Console gamers are the most uninformed knee-jerk reactive players out there.

3 months later
#1818 2 years ago

Is there a setting the operators menu to turn the light on and off for the QR reader? Mine was off on my Godzilla but pretty sure I saw it on one time when I was rifling through the settings.

#1831 2 years ago

Is there no social friends tracking on IC? Would be nice to have a friends list and be able to look at their stats. Maybe a friends only leaderboard.

1 month later
#2367 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I finally got my 2 Insider Connected kits this week. I installed one in Maiden last night and played one game successfully. Went to play it now and it doesn't stay lit up. It blinks a couple times at startup, but then stays dark. I swapped the cable, no dice.
I installed the 2nd kit in JP, that seems to work fine. I connected the JP kit to Maiden and it worked, same cable. So I think my node boards are fine and my cable is fine. Seems like I have a faulty IC unit. Any suggestions before I reach out to Stern?

My Godzilla has the same issue. It will scan but the surround light doesn’t work. Same thing on start up… it will blink a couple of times but that’s it.

#2372 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

Interesting, so mine is working, just not well. I printed a piece of paper with the QR code on it so I didn't have to take my phone out every time. I must have gotten lucky during the setup, maybe I had my flashlight on or something. I cannot get the paper to scan again. It scans fine with the phone though, probably because of the bright screen.
Did you reach out to Stern or whoever you bought it from?

No but I guess I should. At first I thought it was a setting I was missing. In a lit room a piece of paper will work. But at night I use my phone. I actually don’t like the light so I am torn.

6 months later
#3422 1 year ago

I think IC has the potential to be pretty cool. You can see the framework is there...just need to see some more features like:

1. Dedicated app - It can really just be a Webapp wrapper. Having an app will streamline players use and will allow features like push notifications and location sharing.
2. Leaderboards - Operators now have them. Can't wait to see dedicated home game room leaderboards. Friends only leaderboards would be great as well.
3. Notifications - I want to know when someone on my friends list beats my high score. I want to send challenges out to friends. Operators/locations could send out a message to players in the area of an upcoming tourney or Stern event. Have the ability to "check in" to locations. That sends a message to your friends that you are playing there.
4. Guest login - I would like the ability to add guests to my home leaderboard. There are times I have non-pinball friends and family over. Not everyone is going to want to create a stern account. Let registered users be able to generate guest codes that they can use to compete in a home tourney.
5. Handicaps and team play- This one would be interesting. Give owners some ways to even the competition between themselves and more casual or new players. Handicaps could be simply one player plays on easy factory setting while another plays on medium, etc. Co-op gameplay could just allow you to combine scores for 2v1,2v2 or 3v1 matches. Give the option for team names. Have a dedicated team comp leaderboard.
6. More social features - I think you should have two options...friend or following. Friend has more options for notifications, communication, etc. It is something that both people have to agree to. Following is more to just lurk like you would for George Gomez or a high ranked player. Make locations a landing page where players can share photos. Add virtual trophies/standings for Stern specific tourneys that show up in your profile.
7. More community events and achievements - Add some incentive to get out there and play more pinball at locations and at home. Right now we just have individual game achievements but it would be great for locations to have their own unique achievements. Have achievements that span across the entire Stern lineup. Have silly ones like 10,000 lifetime flips. Just add more and make them different than the individual game achievements.
8. Remote operators menu- Basically just getting the data and adjustments from the operators menu onto my phone so I don't have to go through an op menu from the coindoor. Linear operator menus are so dated.
9. Report problems - let users leave a digital note on a location game when there is an issue that needs to be fixed.

#3426 1 year ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

I don't think ops will like there to be an Chimp Flip champ hi score

Operators don't want people playing their games? That is a new one.

#3428 1 year ago
Quoted from Smack:

I think you are missing the point. Of course operators want people to play their games but I don't think they want to encourage an achievement based on flipper actuations. Imagine trapping the ball and just going to town on the flipper to earn your achievement vs just playing the game. Needless wear on the flipper mechs.
Conversely, make an achievement to reach a certain mode or complete a shot X # of times and you have the same hook of repeatability that requires actual gameplay. The "lifetime" achievements for some games are a good example of this. Godzilla has some such as complete X loops, destroy X flying saucers.

I was joking. It was one idea that was focused on just to shit on. My point was make some achievements that are not game specific. That is all.

#3438 1 year ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I would still like to see negative achievements such as allow dinosaurs to kill 25 employees. Allow Thanos to steal 25 gems from you. Ebirah controlled Tokyo 10 times. Etc...
I like the idea of achievements across all games as you mentioned, total extra balls across all games, total many wizard and wizard mode started or completed across all games. Played 10 unique games that have insider connected, played every single game that offers insider connected.
I Also like what Xbox does, if you get an achievement that less than a certain percentage of people have completed they give you a rare achievement for it. You could do something like that for verified achievements, where you get a different icon if you're one of the first to complete and achievement on location.

For sure. Xbox's achievement system is a great example.

2 weeks later
#3607 1 year ago

So anyone added to your home team stays until removed or does all of that get wiped out once you power down the game?

#3610 1 year ago

Thanks!

#3611 1 year ago

Home team is great. Added myself to home team on my Godzilla and automatically shows up on my Mando. I have one game, Star Wars, that doesn’t have IC. Is there a way to purchase a wifi dongle without the reader or apron?

1 week later
#3745 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

The home leaderboard is just resetting the HSTD

That’s not what people are asking for.

#3755 1 year ago

I used this one.

TP-Link USB WiFi Adapter for PC(TL-WN725N), N150 Wireless Network Adapter for Desktop - Nano Size WiFi Dongle for Windows 11/10/7/8/8.1/XP/ Mac OS 10.9-10.15 Linux Kernel 2.6.18-4.4.3, 2.4GHz Only https://a.co/d/aRNMu0R

1 week later
#3852 1 year ago
Quoted from ScoobaDoo:

I’m about to buy a LZ Premium without IC. I already have the IC kit with the scanner on my AIQ. It’s set up with Home Team already. So I just need a regular WiFi dongle and a Micro SD card for my LZ? Nothing special?

Yes. You will also have to connect your scanner from your AIQ to your LZ for the initial set up. I just used a spare ethernet cable to make the connection. Pretty easy.

#3882 1 year ago
Quoted from MaxIsDead:

It’s definitely a bug and I don’t feel sorry I bought 10 kits

10 kits = $2,000
10 usb wifi adapters plus memory cards = $150-200

#3884 1 year ago
Quoted from noysboy:

Yeah, but a lot of people dont seem to understand about this hobby...there is a lot of play money.
That user lists 16 games in their collection. Lets just be super conservative and say they are all Stern Pros...bought prior to IC, so $5K each (I know, thats probably a low number).
That's at least $80,000. in games. Do you really think $1,800. to upgrade ten to IC is a big deal?

A lot of people don't understand that some people have more money in this hobby than others? Pretty sure everybody knows that. Just because I can afford to drop 2K on IC doesn't mean I would if there is an alternative that costs 90% less...oh and less labor since I don't have to change out 10 aprons. I was just ragging on him because he made the same comment in the Star Wars owner thread. Secretly I think he wants Stern to require the QR scanner so that everyone has to buy them like him.

3 weeks later
#3992 1 year ago
Quoted from yancy:

they want as many games online as possible...

...so they can start charging subscription fees. Just kidding...kind of.

1 week later
#4044 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

Thinking of just giving up on Insider Connected. My first IC machine, Deadpool Prem, worked flawlessly. Connected instantly first time and hasn’t had any issues since. My second IC machine, Godzilla Prem, is immediately next to Deadpool and connected to the same AP. I was able to register the machine to my account on the first try, but the machine just doesn’t want to hold a connection. It never connects to IC when I switch it on - I have to go into the menu and manually test the connection, after which it reports as connected around 50% of the time. The other 50% of the time it just won’t connect until I power cycle the machine. Sometimes when it reports as connected it still says the machine isn’t online when I scan my QR code / does nothing when I hold the flipper button for home team. Even when it does connect properly I get server loopback: no connection 99% of the time. I’ve also lost high scores that were set when the machine wasn’t connected when it next manages to connect - is this normal? I’ve bought a new Wi-Fi dongle (TP-Link TL-WN725N) that was suggested as a replacement in this thread which I’ve tried in both USB ports and I’m still having the exact same issues.
Yesterday I used the Home Team workaround to try to get EHOH connected. Again, I was able to link the machine to my account on the first attempt, and enabled home team just fine. However, after power cycling the game I’m having the same problems - have to manually test the connection to get it to connect around 50% of the time. When the QR reader from GZ isn’t connected it won’t even let me test the connection - reports that the SD card and Wi-Fi dongle are installed but says I need the QR reader to connect.
I’m at a loss. I’ve checked the guided setup options on Deadpool as that’s worked fine since day one and noticed that I hadn’t changed the location of the machine from USA to UK, but even after changing both GZ and EHOH to USA I get the same exact problem, although the first time I tested the connection on GZ after making that change I did get a result for server loopback on test. After that first test though it went back to reporting no connection. Does anyone have any suggestions or should I just deregister all the games and give up?

Have you tried taking the wifi dongle from Deadpool and installing it in Godzilla? I know you tried a new dongle but using one that you know works on another game is a good baseline. Where is your router? Are Godzilla and EHOH physically farther away or have any obstructions that your DP does not?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Austin, TX
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 65.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy
Protection
$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy
Protection
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Lermods
Decals
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 210.00
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
HurryUpPinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy
Plastics
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider palmer.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=palmer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.