stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neilmcrae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#557 2 years ago

I assume that the hardware has some sort of TPM module and Stern will have to change the structure of their code builds and perhaps sign the code. For sure this is the end for pinball browser unless someone does a mod chip (or other) hack to the Stern software boot. If the hardware doesn't have TPM or improved code structure and signed code it will be ten seconds of scripts to make all the achievements.

#559 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

If I was still routing I wouldn't give two shits about this and as a pinball player and owner I still don't give two shits about it, so for that reason I don't really think it will catch on.

I remember playing Doom at the ISP I helped found in 1993 and one of the partners said that was a fad and online gaming would never take off. I remind him regularly of how wrong he was.

I hope Stern make their system have an open API so that those of us with Scorbit and who run tournaments with games made by other organisations (including pre Spike Stern games). We just ran a tournament here in the UK with Scorbit doing all the scoring - it was a breeze to run!

Unknown-4 (resized).jpegUnknown-4 (resized).jpeg

Neil.

3 weeks later
#916 2 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern Insider Connected blows Scorebit away.
Can't wait for the JJP Pirates achievement that is earned for reaching the games wizard mode...oh wait that hasn't been added for 3+ years now lol.

Its Scorbit and I don't see how you can come to that conclusion although I really hope that Stern and Scorbit work together rather than see each other as competition. We've been playing challenges and automating tournaments with Scorbit for over a year now with Displays and competitions specifically run under Scorbit on just about any game. Spooky games are supported, Stern, including my Nine Ball and my Walking Dead, All of the WPC games, my Embryon, Batman Forever, Scorbit has just so many games it supports.

IMG_4039 (resized).JPGIMG_4039 (resized).JPG

Imagine an achievement like Super Star Trek - where Scorbit can ping that you've played Star Trek, TNG and Stern Star Trek and even link achievements across three games. And it can let you record scores on games that don't have a Scorbit device.

#918 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

George Gomez mentioned in his post that all Spike 2 games would be eligible.
Avengers, Deadpool, Jurassic Park, Led Zeppelin, Mandalorian, TMNT, and the next released game (Godzilla).
Aerosmith is not a Spike 2 game, so according to what Mr. Gomez mentioned, the insider connected device would not work on Aerosmith.
Godzilla is a Spike 2 machine, so it should work fine if you add the device and it can be purchased separately according to his post.
I assume the appropriate apron would have to be purchased also to have the correct hole for the device.

Aerosmith is absolutely a Spike 2 game:

1. Batman 66 11/2016 (First LCD Spike 2 game ever released.)
2. Aerosmith 1/4/2017
3. Star Wars 5/31/2017
4. Guardians of the Galaxy 11/2/2017
5. Iron Maiden 3/25/2018
6. Dead Pool 8/3/2018
7. The Beatles
8. Munsters 1/12/2019
9. Black Knight SOR 3/25/2019
10. Jurassic Park 7/26/2019
11. Elvira House of Horrors
12. Stranger Things: 12/23/2019
13. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: 5/27/2020
14. Avengers Infinity War: 9/2/2020
15. Led Zeppelin: 12/15/2020
16. The Mandalorian: 5/11/2021
17. Godzilla: 9/14/2021

Can't remember the exact launch dates of Beatles or Elvira but it was between those games. only three on that list I don't have!

#919 2 years ago

Elivra was at Expo so I'd have October as the launch for it.

#933 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Wonder if they worked with Franchi to do some new art for the QR code version apron.

doubt it, Stern's internal team should be able to cope with this.

3 weeks later
#1498 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

I know i'm not the only one that plays my home pinball game and I don't want others playing under my login. I also don't want to manually log in via the game settings any time i want to login or log out.
From an ease of use I have scorbit (app based where you can scan a QR code) and used IC. IC is more seamless for the end user. I sometimes forget to claim my session in the scorbit app till after the game is over and I lose my score.

on the flip side I forgot to logout of a game and some dood was playing GZ with my user ID. Pinball machines as they are today aren't designed for online thus both the reader and the scorbit solution are hacks to normal pinball workflow. Both with up and down sides. after what's happened to other QR codes its an interesting choice for user authentication.

2 weeks later
#1676 2 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

This would be cool for locations. Anyone know if eventually operators will be able to do similar displays?[quoted image]

you can do this with scorbit now - its cool I have all my games on, WMS, Stern SAM, Stern Spike, JJP, Spooky and Classic Stern

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.48.25 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.48.25 (resized).png

At our pinball club we have an all-time and monthly scorbit board and have it for competitions and automation of tournaments.

Screenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.54.57 (resized).pngScreenshot 2021-11-06 at 22.54.57 (resized).png

2 weeks later
#1706 2 years ago

mail stern

#1740 2 years ago

so you need more than wifi to connect your game... I bought a bunch of dongles...

IMG_4716 (resized).JPGIMG_4716 (resized).JPG

#1776 2 years ago

Anyone applied for pro? How long did it take?

#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

I have an Iron Maiden pro. I had never looked closely at the extra mode the premium/LE had because I couldn't access it, but I assumed it was not on the pro because one of the premium mechanisms activated it.
So when I saw today that I could pay for Stern IC to get this mode on my pro I looked it up and turns out it has always been software lcoked, the mode is activated with a mechanism that is on both the pro and premium.
So now I can't decide if I should be annoyed that I have to pay for a mode or if I should be annoyed that the mode was always software locked in the first place. OR I could be positive and say that the cost of Stern IC is far less than the jump to premium so I should be happy I can access it now. (Although being in Canada that $200 becomes a lot more very quickly)
Anyways, rant over. I dislike the trend of locking things like modes behind paywalls that has taken over gaming, things like that should be left to free to play mobile trash, not something you spend so much on in the first place. I hope Stern doesn't get carried away or start a trend. A lot of companies do crappy thing just because the big company does it. See the cell phone market.

wut?

You aren't paying for a mode. You are paying for a device and Stern are throwing in a mode for free.

Neil.

#1806 2 years ago

Why would anyone consider a cross over cable? Lol

#1817 2 years ago

anyone seen the kits for sale yet?

#1910 2 years ago

anyone applied for and got a Pro account recently? I applied weeks ago I have three games on site and they are all coming up as my home.

#1988 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

You can plug it into the open spot on the board in the back box. Just use a longer cat5 cable.[quoted image]

which if you have a topper would be occupied.

Are you sure that this node board at the flipper end of the playfield doesn't have an empty socket? Some of them have like a terminator without a proper cable in them.

image-36 (resized).pngimage-36 (resized).png

#2048 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

I really wish IC had a "scanner-less" mode - even if it was just for home users. Each machine could have a unique QR code displayed on the screen that you scan in the IC app on your phone that tells the mothership that user X has just scanned in to machine Y. The machine would get notified of this as part of its normal communication with the server, and it could then add that user the same way as it does today when the user scans in.
There is really no reason to force a scanner onto these machines, apart from some vague and currently unrealized concept of printed QR coupons. All you'd need to add is the microSD card and network adapter (less than $20 combined on Amazon).
George Gomez is a really smart guy, but this seems like overkill for 99% of scenarios.

this is exactly how Scorbit works. With the right engagement Scorbit could run on the Spike 2 MPU and just required a wifi dongle (and maybe a SD card)

Neil.

#2049 2 years ago
Quoted from mwong168:

Then it must be related to latest code 0.85 update because I pulled QR reader before on 0.80 and never had this error on start up. Not a big deal because once game boots up it goes away and game plays like normal. Now if it didn't let me start a game then that would be a problem. Hopefully if it is code related they will address on next code update.

there was some guy making a long rant post about the fact that GZ stopped midway because they'd removed the board.

#2056 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

there was some guy making a long rant post about the fact that GZ stopped midway because they'd removed the board.

apparently this person is a known kook.

#2116 2 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

If you’re having trouble setting up an operator “pro” account, You can contact [email protected]
[quoted image]

I was also told to email [email protected] but no reply. meanwhile three locations with no details on them.

Has anyone been rejected as a Pro site?

#2159 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:Hoping some new insider connected features will be shown off here.
[quoted image]

LOL - its almost like Scorbit doesn't exist!

#2160 2 years ago

I bought a bunch of Usb wifi dongles, sd cards ethernet cables and one of those ethernet mechanical switch boxes. It works pretty well if its just you and nobody else.

#2183 2 years ago

There is no doubt stern are going to do something that means an SIC game in progress will poll the QR node board if everyone does this (I’ve got the switcher solution until I can get kits).

#2185 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Just to piggy back on your very correct statement, I couldn’t imagine Stern’s legal counsel would sign off on Stern building in destructive code on products already put into commerce in some cases years prior (and on commercial products with coin doors to boot)…likely too much risk for their legal counsel to sign off on that.

You mean like how Microsoft disabled modchipped Xboxes or Apple stops third party parts from working? Sorry but lawyers would be fine with this - Stern could easily argue that there is an expectation that a card reader is there.

#2186 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

What is their incentive to do something like this? They aren’t trying to make money with the kits and their goal is to get as many people using IC as possible. Seems counter productive to try and block the switcher solution. If they blocked it from working I’d probably abandon it entirely as I wouldn’t see the value in spending $200 a machine to add it.

They aren’t trying to make money with the kits but are making at least $130 per kit. And the fact they change the manifest of their code to disable pinball browser all the time?

What’s there incentive not to? If they don’t get sales either way… also the coding team might do it without thinking. Happy to be wrong on this but I’d be surprised.

#2206 2 years ago
Quoted from DonnyBrsco:

I've had no luck on my pros trying to link them with the same switcher and sd card to try SiC while i waited on a pro kit...I thought it was a pro vs premium qr reader thing as I have a gdz premium..But that notion went out the window after trying it on ehoh. I've done a full update, new sd card image and I can now connect my imdn to SiC but I don't have node boArd 9 seen so no upper lights.. Not sure what I'm missing but I see you guys having this working is making me jealous ..I may just call it quites and take it as I sign to wait..arghh

Have you got the machine a Wi-Fi dongle or a hard wired Ethernet connection?

#2207 2 years ago

You shouldn’t need to clone the sdcard as the game formats them on boot.

#2225 2 years ago

get the board out and check it over with a magnifying glass - also try putting in one formatted by another game.

#2283 2 years ago

check the date and time on the machine.

also check your wifi ap/ internet gateway and see if its reporting any issues with the device.

#2311 2 years ago

where are folks getting the kits from?

#2378 2 years ago
Quoted from Insanity199:

As many others have said, the premium UV apron works fine with IC. Here is a pic of it installed on my Premium apron.
I do like the coin door option with that ability to have pinball life’s volume control though. [quoted image]

hopefully Stern have some artwork to put around that as it looks terrible as is.

#2379 2 years ago

I'm really hoping that Stern make logging into the game a lot better in their app. The scanning of QR codes whilst for the minority without smartphones is a good solution its not the best experience in my view.

Neil.

#2387 2 years ago
Quoted from PinRat:

Apologies if this has been asked but I didn't find it on searching the thread. Can you change your location name from <HANDLE>'s gameroom if you're a home user?

not yet but I believe this is coming soon.

#2423 2 years ago

I posted this on the batman thread but thought it would be useful here:

Anyone with a Batman '66 LE or SLE with the topper, there is no spare port for the IC - on new games stern have included:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Adapter-8P8C-1F-107294/dp/B0069LVUPS/ref=sr_1_21

as a splitter to create a port for IC.

I think any 8C8P splitter should work and I've got a couple (not the one above) being delivered to me in the UK today and will confirm when they arrive.

Cheers,
Neil.

#2427 2 years ago

in my view it feels much more like token ring than anything else...

Neil.

#2464 2 years ago

can see it now at a tournament. I was about to start GODZILLA MULTIBALL but those evil Russian hackers foiled me and made the switch not work. I demand a compensation ball!

Good practise is to put all of this higher risk stuff in a separate network or VLAN and just open the ports needed for the risky stuff.

1 week later
#2587 2 years ago

where are you guys getting kits from?

3 weeks later
#2792 2 years ago
Quoted from TheProgrammer:

Honestly, not exactly having a lot of kits to influx into the market when they announced IC really hurt the whole system I think. Also, the fact that they don't have an app still is disappointing. (Especially when the PWA is coded to not keep you logged in)
I even went so far as to try and make my own app (even just for personal use), but they seem to be using a ton of proprietary systems that just don't allow for anybody to extend the system easily. The API responses are all encoded in a salted base64. The QR codes don't seem to be using conventional data. The source is obfuscated heavily (although this could just be due to webpack). It all just feels very... locked down. I wish it was more open as it could allow for a whole community of IC software/systems from 3rd parties.
It's a little odd when you consider how much Stern supports/allows physical mods to their games.

they don't support any physical mods!

#2809 2 years ago

yup.

Quoted from northvibe:

do any of you get the error you have to dismiss when you use the PRO side?

#2810 2 years ago

I doubt anything is announced at TPF as I understand George isn't going to be there. I doubt there will be any major update until Expo.

#2812 2 years ago
Quoted from spicekabay:

Has anyone who uses IC and likes to play the cooperative game mode ever wondered about how to keep all players logged in in cooperative game mode after a game is over, or was it just me? Though hitting the start button after a game is over keeps players logged in, however starts the standard game mode, no cooperative game.
This is how it works for me, just in case, you care:
1. Play a cooperative game with several players logged in until game is over.
2. When in “game over” screen, press both flipper buttons simultaneously= screen changes.
3. When in “20 seconds until auto log out counting down” screen, press right flipper button= screen changes (instead, if you are not just pressing but also holding the right flipper button, countdown will race down to zero. If you press and hold both flipper buttons simultaneously, countdown will pause).
4. When in “these players have been logged in” screen, press and hold both flipper buttons simultaneously= screen changes.
5. When in “what game mode do you want to play?” screen, press one of the flipper buttons cycling through game modes until cooperative game mode shows up.
6. When cooperative game mode is shown, press action button to select game mode.
7. You have achieved starting a cooperative game with all players logged in, go to No. 1

there is a setting for this in the game options also.

#2814 2 years ago

anyone know what's happening with Batman LE and SLE? they both have a custom arch?

#2816 2 years ago

Deadpool is pretty good with achievements... as is AIQ...

#2821 2 years ago

if you goto stern events you can see some competitions with scores.

#2828 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

For operators, all we have is inaccurate play counts. Big promises but I hope they come. This would be a great platform for operators to get much more power and detail remotely

I thought the play counts were pretty accurate? have you seen something else?

3 weeks later
#2891 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Tried (re)-installing the latest code yet? If so, send Stern a bug report.

What Dick said. There was a code release that rebooted all the time but the latest fixes it.

#2895 2 years ago

anyone had a dark reader and manage to make it light again?

2 weeks later
#2940 1 year ago

Managed to get 4 more (need 4 more and one for batman66).

Noticed that they have different rev numbers.

6600C1F2-AF4C-48C1-B3AA-D83D56D7C4F3 (resized).jpeg6600C1F2-AF4C-48C1-B3AA-D83D56D7C4F3 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#3002 1 year ago
Quoted from TrixTrix:

Only WPA/WPA2 connections are support for security reasons. WEP and open networks are not supported. If you require connecting to WEP or and open network, you can use a WiFi repeater which connects to the WEP/open network and provides a WPA AP for the pinball machines.
Additionally, you could have the WiFi repeater connect to a 5GHz network and then connect the repeater to the pinball via Ethernet for a faster connection.

Very useful to know thanks! As much as I applaud you for this I also I think you guys should re-consider this. I'm putting some games into a hotel this week and the only wifi is open wifi and its a real pain to have to get a repeater and such. Although I'm glad I know this before I got there

I'm also about to put a game into my office. a repeater will be detected quickly and disconnected. Not sure how I'm going to connect the game as the private wifi requires authentication, there is open wifi and normally you have to register for it with a web browser but I can bypass that with the wifi Mac address of the game at the wifi controller side but if it won't even see the network thats going to be a pain.

Neil.

#3019 1 year ago
Quoted from Krellan:

Hmm, how would a repeater be detected quickly and disconnected? I'm not sure how the main wireless network would be able to detect if a particular device is a repeater or not. I have disabled all of the Wi-Fi network names being served by my travel router (both regular and guest, both 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz, total of 4 names). So, there's no Wi-Fi server functionality visible from the router. I have the router just set to connect to the office Wi-Fi network, as if it's a normal Wi-Fi client device (the office Wi-Fi network does not have a password). The router has NAT, to share the IP received from the network, so the network shouldn't detect the presence of an additional device behind the router. I will connect the router to the game using a wired Ethernet cable, so the game will think it has a wired connection. Hopefully, this will work (I haven't been back to the office to try it yet).
Fortunately, no authentication is required for this network (I think). If yours does require authentication, I hope that it will last for a long time once authenticated, and not time out. Then, you could authenticate using your phone, then set the router to clone your phone's MAC address. That will fool the network into thinking your router is already authenticated. Most travel routers have this feature. Assuming the network authenticates by MAC address, and doesn't time out the authentication, this should work as a solution for you.

We have intelligence in our network for detecting rogue AP's.

I just think not having an open option isn't the best idea when often you don't control the wifi in a location.

Neil.

#3048 1 year ago

anyone had issues with the USB StarTech.com sticks that come with the kits? I've had two of refuse to work, replace them and problem solved.

1 week later
#3072 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Is the light meant to stay on all the time?

yes they are meant to be on all the time.

I've got one where its off but still scans, and another where it flickers but scans nothing got both via Cointaker and reported to stern and they have logged the failure and will send them out - I guess they have a backlog.

Also had two of the StarTech USB sticks kick the bucket but I have few spare.

1 month later
#3347 1 year ago

I think it will be the USB wifi sticks- they seem to be pretty crap.

3 weeks later
#3570 1 year ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Stern Pinball takes the safety of our customer’s data seriously. Stern works with both legal and security organizations to vet all aspects of Insider Connected for legal compliance and best practices worldwide. As part of this effort, our new machine updates will notify users if any third party code modifications are identified that may put data at risk/

So I tried to install some modded code to my IMDN and to my AIQ.

The code works, but when you try to log into SIC you get this - it will not let you login.

IMG_8914 (resized).JPGIMG_8914 (resized).JPG

so modded code or SIC - you choose!

#3571 1 year ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Sounds like this won't work based on recent posts, but can someone who has IC give a try where they log into the Home Team thing, verify they are logging in automatically, turn off the pin, unplug the IC node board, turn it on and verify that the Home Team thing does or does not work?
Again, all signs point to it won't work like that since it won't find the IC integration boards, but figured it would be helpful if someone can actually verify this.
But if it does work, then I'd go a different route than hooking up a switch to my GZ so that I can get JP on IC.
EDIT:
And I can't test this yet because my GZ arrives tomorrow, else I'd give it a try myself.

Yes it works, you don't need a scanner on them when you've got the home team enabled.

#3573 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

So could you use a scanner once to get set up at home or is all of the IC function blocked at power on if the scanner node board is not found?

yes this works.

#3574 1 year ago

I have a feeling that top men [] will be working on fixing it though.

#3578 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So you're saying you can take a game with just wifi and a SD card, power on, and log in with home team.. as long as home team was setup in this location elsewhere?

yes pretty much spot on.

You need a reader just to enable IC.

So you have ten games and one IC kit. You buy 9 USB dongles and 9 micro SD cards.

You setup first game and scan all your QR codes and enable them as home.

you then add the USB dongles and memory sticks and then use the one reader you have to connect each game to SIC - you have to move the reader to each game to connect the games to SIC.

then you are good to go. you have 9 games all with IC and home you can login to. You use the one game with the reader to add people in and out.

#3579 1 year ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Thank you, Stern, for the QR code in Apple Wallet (although I've already got it on my watch) and for Home Team!
Now that we've got Home Team...
I won't be so bold as to ask for it to work without the IC node board and scanner hardware but...
How about an option in the Service Menu for us to TURN OFF the scanner (the bright light that so many have gone out of their way to relocate) when we're not in the process of adding more players to Home Team?
I've got but two players in my household, and I won't be needing to add any others. Not on a regular basis, anyway.

just disconnect it - it will be fine without it.

#3582 1 year ago

I'm with you re: top men. Stern will be fixing this hole in 3... 2... 1...

maybe, but I doubt it. The readers are very unreliable, I've had three fail, if a reader dies operators can still make money on the game. So I doubt stern will want hardwire them otherwise lots of games Out of Order.

#3583 1 year ago

Okay to disconnect just the scanner? Or better to disconnect the node board?

either disconnect the cat 5 ethernet cable at the node board or at the scanner. I'd do it at the node board as its easier to access.

#3604 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm aware of the prior switching model... the point here is if you can complete the home team selection on a game after powerup, that HASN'T had the reader connected.
Presumably you still have the challenge that IC can't be setup at first without a reader
You still need to setup home team for your location on a game with a reader...
but trying to clarify if the game will boot, and allow home team use WITHOUT switching the QR reader (via switch) to the game after power up.
Because doing so would negate the need for your switcher entirely once a game has been setup on IC for the first time. That would be a significant change.

yes this works.

Neil.

#3605 1 year ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

So what's going to happen if I update my JP that is currently running movie code on Stern code 1.05 to 1.06? Something bad??? Advisable to just stick with 1.05?

it will be fine but you will lose all the movie assets.

When the guys who did the JP2 mod bring out a 1.06 version you will have to choose movie assets or SIC. until someone works around the stupid restriction.

Neil.

#3606 1 year ago

anyone else have struggles with the wallet QR code? on alot of my games I have to put the phone on the glass to get it to work. It could do with being half an inch bigger atleast.

#3679 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

IMO, they're taking the reverse path. Remember that the CEO is the guy who was in charge of Disney+ launch,

eh no, no and big time no.

#3680 1 year ago
Quoted from Bos98:

Has anyone tried/found a 5ghz AC WiFi dongle?
Downloads on the 2.4ghz band are incredibly slow and I rather not wire all the games to the network.

5GHz likely even worse. haven't quite finally worked it what the cause is but the games seem to struggle if the far end isn't responsive.

Quoted from Peanuts:

The Canakit dongle is one of those provided by Stern in the kits. It works great and is avalaible separately:
amazon.com link »

I wouldn't buy that dongle, they are failing pretty regularly. This is better and alot cheaper:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015TCA2EM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 week later
#3761 1 year ago
Quoted from Schwaggs:

I know some people said it doesn’t matter what WiFi adapter you use but I don’t see how that can be right. Each WiFi chipset needs specific drivers and I doubt Stern has drivers to support them all.
I used this specific one and it works.
CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi Wireless Adapter / Dongle (802.11 n/g/b 150 Mbps) https://a.co/d/1TzBBGv
The Startech dongle pictured here was included in an IC kit from stern and it works too.
StarTech.com USB 150Mbps Mini Wireless N Network Adapter - 802.11n/g 1T1R Wi-Fi Adapter (USB150WN1X1) https://a.co/d/0PbGerC
[quoted image]

these suck, I've had a few of them just die on me.

3 weeks later
#3948 1 year ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

Unfortunately, if a QR reader isn't connected to the machine, the code disables the IC features.

never the case. I had my games on IC without a reader so I could get stats on the number of plays etc.

Neil.

#3951 1 year ago

Might be worth a new sdcard - failing that try swapping the usb wifi dongle?

#3959 1 year ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

The game is only a couple of feet from the AP. Closer than my Deadpool Premium that connects fine. The signal strength reports as good, the speed test is fine, and it managed to connect to IC when I registered the game. I’m willing to try a new Wi-Fi dongle, but I really don’t think that’s the issue - it seems to be an issue connecting to the IC server.

the .98 code has been fine for me.

I have a feeling your dongle is on the way out. try it in the other USB port on the board and see if that makes a difference, I've had a few of them just die on me with symptoms not a mile away from yours.

3 weeks later
#4085 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Thanks very much for posting this. I need a little bit more help please.
Do you plug this wifi dongle straight into the CPU or do you use a connector?

I plug it straight into the USB on the CPU board.

2 weeks later
#4155 1 year ago

anyone solve the game won't connect ?

IMG_0802 (resized).JPGIMG_0802 (resized).JPG

#4161 1 year ago
Quoted from TrixTrix:

Looks like you do not have an IP address (that would be in the upper left corner of the display).
Post a photo of Service Menu->Net->About->Network
PSA when diagnosing issues, have a photo of Net->About->Info and Net->About->Network handy.

yeah thats exactly it.

So the machine sees the network - connects, the "RSSI" goes up to about 60 and then down to 0 a few times - the AP sees the Mac of the machine but the machine never gets a IP then it gives up. Interestingly this happened after both games auto updated through wifi!

It could be some reaction to having had scorbit on both these games in the past so I'm going to try a new formatted SD card.

Cheers,
Neil.

#4162 1 year ago

so fresh install SD Card fixed it but see below for what I found out later...

One thing though:

Stern Supplier USB Adaptor:

IMG_0805 (resized).JPGIMG_0805 (resized).JPG

Amazon adaptor with antenna.

IMG_0812 (resized).JPGIMG_0812 (resized).JPG

Regards,
Neil.

#4164 1 year ago

turns out it was something weird with the wifi SSID and password. I saw with an WIFI analyser that the password was being rejected.

I downgraded the game to a previous version of code where it exposes the password and I could see that the password it was using was a password for an SSID that I had setup for the UK Open and not the SSID I'd used to config with the QR code for my home pinball room. so SSID for UKOpen - was UKOpen with password blah1234 - the new SSID DOMINOSFBB was there but it still had the password blah1234 instead of the password for DOMINOSFBB

I can only assume that the game didn't save the new password correctly. anyway glad it was something simple.

I think if you are using the QR codes to config the game, which historically for me has worked really well with 40+ games in three locations then try putting in the password manually. thanks to folks at Stern for helping me debug this.

Cheers,
Neil.

#4165 1 year ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

One thing I ran into on non pinball stuff- my router uses both 2.4 and 5GHz at the same time (802.11ac). One of my devices only uses 2.4GHz and I was unable to configure it until I told the router to only use 2.4. After I got it configured I told the router go back to normal and the device in question works fine.

yeah I've seen that with IOT stuff mostly, but that isn't the case here.

#4180 1 year ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

No, special exclusive achievements yes. If Stern attempt to create IC exclusive modes, they will enter a world of hurt.

this is coming - no doubt about it - it will be like Season pass on Fortnite- question is will it be worth the lolly?

2 months later
#4490 1 year ago
Quoted from swampy:

Thank you very much. So the spare CN12 slot is good to go (assuming I don’t use a splitter). Must it be a Cat 5E cable?
Thanks again

Cat 5E yes for sure. I've personally not used that port but it should work.

Have you got the new apron/bottom arch kit? that comes with the splitter you need which is identical to this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SMICEM-splitter-interface-Ethernet-compatible/dp/B0BNX2PFDK/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=3DARLWYP58L70&keywords=cat+5+splitter&qid=1672906332&sprefix=cat+5+splitter+%2Caps%2C64&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

Neil.

2 weeks later
#4552 1 year ago
Quoted from oldbaby:

People sometimes post ideas in this thread. I think I'll do the same.
Stern should rip-off the Psycho Mantis memory card gimmick from Metal Gear Solid. For those who don't know, Psycho Mantis was a psychic who would read your Playstation's memory card and comment on other games you have played. A fun 4th wall breaking moment.
So for example, let's say you're fighting Ebony Maw in AIQ, who as we all know has psychic powers. He could comment on other games you've played recently while logged into Stern Insider Connected.

great idea but I doubt we will see it.

1 month later
#4695 1 year ago

Folks on the pro apron, does anyone know the screw length/size that goes through to the IC reader? I borrowed the reader of a pro and I've misplaced those screws.

Thanks,
Neil

1 week later
#4765 1 year ago

the usb wifi dongles startech seem completely crap. I've now had to replace about a dozen.

#4767 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I've also found that different machines seem to take different amounts of time. For example, my Rush connects much faster than Godzilla. GZ takes awhile after booting to connect. Both are hardwired Ethernet so I don't understand why.

Check your gateway, I noticed that sometimes mine was not responding to DHCP and it was because when I do Alexa I wanna play pinball my home network get DDOSed for about 45 IPs. So I put them all as hosts in my gateway and it made a big difference.

1 month later
#4886 12 months ago
Quoted from fuzz:

Has nothing to do with operator or ISP
I recently upgraded routers and still have the same problem
Machines will be connected then go offline
I have to reset routers and machines to get them back online
Oddly enough Godzilla has never had the problem
I feel your frustration

its the shit USB wireless dongles. They are terrible.

2 months later
#5042 9 months ago

Is there any sort of SIC availability website? Like Xbox does with its status page.

I had weird shit logging in today although I think it’s the crap Wi-Fi dongles more than SIC - ordered more of the ones with the built in antenna they are so much better.

#5043 9 months ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

From what Gomez has said the delay is due to making sure they have all the privacy and security concerns addressed. Don't know specifically what the concerns are, but it is something they are planning on releasing. Some day.

There are WAY more privacy and security concerns with running hi scores in a bar than st home!

#5044 9 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Today - no . Stern limits it for Ops.
iScored and Scorebit are both options but both require user score submissions

Scorbit doesn’t require user score submissions if you have a scorbitron in the game.

#5049 9 months ago
Quoted from Rexdeanrds:

Not necessarily. In a bar/public location you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy. Whereas in a home you do.

Maybe but I don’t see consoles with bar mode on them! From a networking POV the opposite is true and even more so on security. Two lines of lawyer speak asking for permission will probably solve any risk on privacy. GDPR doesn’t discriminate either.

Neil

3 weeks later
#5116 8 months ago

So I have two issues right now - on one setup, I have a 4K screen that isn't being seen as a 4K screen so it shows 3/4 of the page.
On my setup at another location, its the opposite:

IMG_4568 (resized).JPGIMG_4568 (resized).JPG

#5120 8 months ago

thanks - I will see what I can do, but its poor web design if the screen doesn't render with the right visibility, still doesn't fix the other screen which is also 4K and it is too big to display. I'm using 4K because I also have scorbit - and they have a UHD mode that allows alot more games on one screen with decent scale.

1 month later
#5239 6 months ago

Here is one thing I'd like to see. Reliability. We put all the Spike 2 games at the UK Open on Insider Connected about 15 or so games. Every single one of them crashed and rebooted at least once if not multiple times. I'll need to be super convinced to do that again.

Fortunately it didn't happen at a crucial time in a final apart from one time where GOTG reboots at the end of a massive game and looses all the scores - fortunately the game was on stream and we got the score from the stream video:

https://clips.twitch.tv/MushyCrispyIcecreamAMPTropPunch-UNqPsiV8_AtVRBBj

Neil.

1 week later
#5263 5 months ago

As I understand it, it is in beta, and this means you can only get it if invited and via TestFlight (Apple's managed app test program). It's probably a mistake to put the app pointer on the main website at this stage.

3 weeks later
#5364 5 months ago
Quoted from CurtisC:

since stern has decided to turn my screens into an advertising display, maybe they could relax on the $200 ic kit... with all the telemetry data they could be collecting, i would think that alone would be justification to sell them at cost or even below.
Most companies that data mine us at least have the courtesy to give some kind of value add for free back (google with adds/search, youtube with adds/entertainment, amazon with predicting your next purchase and making it easy)
Sterns hasn't made IC easy, particularly useful, or inexpensive.

Adjustment number 55 - set it to off. Your welcome. (there is alot more in this code than just adverts).

#5390 5 months ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I may take some heat here but consider; what are you really doing with this IC??Whats to come??I think we are being driven down a path you can't come back from! What else could you be stuck with?? Commercials of corse, what else?Think about it!!

the worst thing about IC are these type of irritating posts.

#5391 5 months ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

My question isn't getting any love in its own thread, so lets try here:
Star Wars Pro that’s been working as it should with IC since it’s been available. The last few months it won’t connect to the internet either wirelessly or wired. I’ve subbed in a new IC unit and tried a 3rd Wi-Fi dongle. In the IC About section, next to Status it shows Inactive. When I scan for networks, nothing shows up, but it also shows the WiFi signal at 100. I have 8 other machines connected to the same Wi-Fi and this one worked for a couple of years. I’ve even tried connecting using a QR code from another machine, but nothing. Multiple resets of dongle, nothing. Somewhere in these setting it showed Network Interface Inactive or something similar. Like I said, it doesn’t worked hardwired either.
Any ideas?

download and burn a new SD Card. I had this on Elvira and the was the only way to fix it. I think something gets munged.

#5456 5 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern cut corners with the original launch in picking their development partner...
Buggy, not designed for real world users, poorly implemented...
Stern hires a PM internally to run the project... yet two years later we are basically in the same boat with only minor fixes and most Operator data being too unreliable or oriented in useless ways to even bother looking at.
So when they hit their next big milestone what do we get? Oh yeah... basically more of the same incompetent dev team work.
I wonder if they ever will learn to actually talk to their target audience and actually test if functionality actually addresses the use case.
I mean... Stern Insider probably has what.. probably 10-30k users? Maybe a few hundred or a thousand were trying this morning? They obviously muffed this roll out.

I find it incredible that in todays day and age what happened today actually happened. There are plenty of us in the industry that would happily help Stern (and others) with an infrastructure architecture fit for an online service provider. I mean, imagine if they let the beta be available to those who know this shit.

1 week later
#5540 4 months ago

Can I just check something. On one of our games at Pinball Republic (Bond Premium) I have option 55 to turn off MOTD but I’m pretty sure I still saw the MOTD - we had a big tournament running so I didn’t have time to check but I wondered if anyone else had seen this?

2 months later
#5879 62 days ago

just as an FYI - my Godzilla premium on loan to a buddy when booting showed all node boards dead and tried to restart. Turns out the IC board was toast, pulled it out from the CAT5 cable and the game was fine. Stern/EC swapped the board overnight (excellent service) and IC back up and running.

2 weeks later
#6001 43 days ago

nah, if the game is in the event then all scores stand.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ScottieIA Mods

$ 159.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 26.50
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Lighting - Led
Gameroom Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Slipstream Mod Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider neilmcrae.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=neilmcrae and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.