stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

Unless a ton of technology gets added to machines that really isn't relevant to most pinball owners, there will be absolutely nothing that can assure that any two games are setup exactly the same. And even then there are variables that will make them play differently. I don't think anything will ever replace a competition (even for just high scores) that takes place on the same game or bank of games

There are so many ways a game's setup can affect play.

I have a Twilight Zone. The slot machine eject will slowly wander (over multiple games) from the middle of right flipper to the tip, depending on the rotation of the kickout plunger.

If it's kicking to the middle, you can let it bounce right to left and back to right for a super easy trap. If it's kicking to the tip, you have to flip the ball away on the fly or lose it. In-between YMMV.

If the game is playing like the former, you can score billions relatively easily. If the latter, a few hundred million becomes challenging.

Then there's things like flipper hop, flipper angles, sling sensitivity... hell, that last one can make any game killer if set just right. Deaden the slings instead and you can rack up points.

Anything involving H2H competition on more than one example of a machine is severely flawed IMHO but the rest of the online features look neat.

1 month later
#1089 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Go back and re-read the "we sent you email" page. See the mistake.
Try to sign up again with the proper email.
"Username is taken"

I signed up a couple hours ago just to make sure I secured my username. Not sure if/when I'll use it, but wanted the username.

Pressing F for your signup now..

#1225 2 years ago

I'm thinking the op can enable or disable the online features as needed, and it's expected that if enabled, there would be a way to upload the data. If enabled, the game likely caches the player data til an internet connection is established. If there's no internet available, the op should disable the features.

1 week later
#1470 2 years ago
Quoted from Anony:

Yeah it seemed weird to me to have the scanning hardware in the machine rather than offload it to our phone like every other product seems to do

Starbucks payments show your QR code on the app screen and the clerk scans your phone, just like the Stern system. I'd think other payment systems operate in similar fashion. This is not new or different.

7 months later
#3108 1 year ago

The apron sticker cutout for the reader is still in place. Pull it off and it'll work.

1 month later
#3687 1 year ago

I finally got around to connecting our GZ to the net, registering it to my account and setting up hometeam. The entire process went through painlessly and without a hitch; nice job Stern

Played one game afterward that was completely awful, then realized I'd forgotten to login with L flipper. Logged in and had a pretty good first insider game.

New-3 (resized).pngNew-3 (resized).png
3 weeks later
#3865 1 year ago

I don't think it's a bug. Stern wants people on Insider, they're investing a lot into the platform and want as many locations and players as possible participating, hoping the added interest will drive game sales. That's much more important than selling $200 camera kits to a dwindling market, since all games going forward will come with the camera anyway.

It almost seems home team's main goal was to allow people to use Insider with cached logins and no camera. Only other benefit is convenience, home owner not having to flash a code every time they play.

One other thing.. the cameras themselves don't seem to be the most reliable, or at least the first batch wasn't. Having a way to login even if your camera is broken is nice, otherwise you'd be locked out of insider on that game. Not helpful for locations but good for home owners.

#3875 1 year ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

Agreed. Nothing is more aggravating than having to login every time you go the website.

Ehh... worse is having an awesome, achievement-setting game... after forgetting to login to the machine

#3877 1 year ago

Ahh good to hear, will remember for future games. When using home team only this is not possible (yet?) but in this case I was playing the game that had the camera so I could have done it.

#3886 1 year ago

Yes, adding someone to hometeam on a game with a camera will also add them to all other games under that person's account. Takes ~5 min to show up.

You have to have access to the coindoor buttons to add to hometeam, can't do it unless the owner is around with the keys. Simply scanning will add them as a guest for the next game, but not add to hometeam.

2 weeks later
#3960 1 year ago

Game does not need to be on IC to reboot.

We had 5 reboots during league on Sat. Fortunately most of them were during practice or post-league games, or after the game was done. IIRC:

- Beatles not on IC rebooted during a game I was playing

- Beatles also rebooted while someone was paging thru attract just after a game to check scores. After rebooting the prior scores were gone

- Deadpool rebooted after a game while paging thru attract

- BKSOR rebooted just after I started a game post-league

- Not sure on 5th, may have been deadpool again.

Never had a reboot on my GZ Pro on latest code. Are people seeing reboots only in tournament mode, or is regular play also rebooting?

4 weeks later
#4135 1 year ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Nintendo solved it by creating a child account notion, as you point out, but it does not have to be tied to a dedicated email. It is controlled by a specific guardian account. They can from their app see their own achievements/etc, but these accounts are limited

Nintendo is a global company with kids as one of their primary markets. They have the resources to setup, test and implement special sub-accounts, notions, whatever for them. Stern, not so much. I'd rather they spend the time on things like the leaderboard, set it up for home use, add more operator features, tournament integration, etc.

1 month later
#4292 1 year ago

Borrow a scanner, move it around to set the games and players up, return the scanner, enjoy scanner-less Insider.

11 months later
#5459 5 months ago

Just gonna say, while it does sound funny at first, the "Sorry, that didn't work" message on failed logins is pretty common among modern apps and websites. Microsoft things will generally spit out "Sorry, something went wrong" anytime there's an exception. The "didn't work" message was probably built into whatever platform Stern is building Insider on.

3 weeks later
#5569 4 months ago

Go into the operator menus, then net menu, there's a place to enter home team members. Scan their QR code to add them, you can add up to 8 people total. This list will be remembered across power cycles.

In attract mode, hold left flipper to pull up home team. Use flippers to select person, center button or both flippers to enter into the game. Press start once all players are selected. You can then press start to add more players (up to 4), and they can scan in as usual if they weren't in your home team.

#5585 4 months ago

Borrow the apron from your IC game, hook it up temporarily to your non IC games to perform initial IC setup, then move it back to it's original spot. You'll be able to select home team members on your non IC games from then on. That's the basic gist of it, there's more details about unhooking the apron and setting up IC in the thread.

This does require installing the proper USB Wifi adapter and SD card in the non IC games if they do not have them already.

#5612 4 months ago

You can scan in during a game in progress and it'll count everything. Not sure if scanning during initials entry counts though.

#5636 3 months ago

Easiest for me was to just take the camera apron to the non camera games, plug it into an available node jack and power up the game. Scan it into your collection, confirm it works, power off and move the camera apron to the next non-camera game and repeat.

#5685 3 months ago

They added a summary for the year... 2022?

I'm assuming the 2022 is a typo, but then again this doesn't include any of my activity from GZ in the past 2 weeks, so who knows...

pasted_imag (resized).pngpasted_imag (resized).png
#5688 3 months ago

The whole UI needs a rework, it's a PITA to find specific things in there.

1 month later
#5832 75 days ago

"On Valentine’s Day, scan and play any Insider Connected game with two or more players. Get a combined total score of 250 million to earn this special Gary Stern badge"

No one should have it yet.

1 week later
#5878 62 days ago

Your buddy is insider's first virus haha

#5891 61 days ago

Exorcism complete.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 42.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 425.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 175.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
FlipMods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Philadelphia, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider metallik.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=metallik and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.