stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1441 2 years ago

excuse my ignorance, but why is a code reader or extra hardware needed for this insider stuff. JJP uses scorbit and you need nothing more than a wifi dongle, and it works on older games like the hobbit, just need to update your software.

#1444 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Because that's how Stern chose to implement their system. No other reason.

well, good for them, but not for the consumer. I won't be adding hardware or this system to any of my games.

#1445 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

One of the points George made in the Marco stream yesterday was that the QR reader was partially motivated by the fact that it's kind of "in your face" and attracts a little more attention than the alternative solution (I'll call it the flynnibus solution since he's posted about it in here for weeks) that doesn't require additional hardware.
After seeing/playing a Godzilla with the reader last weekend I think I agree with him on that one. Lots of folks I know won't take time to read instruction cards or even read what's on the LCD. The QR reader attracts the eye and prime you to ask "what the hell is this?" whereas a passive QR code solution wouldn't.
Idk all that *fully* rationalizes the additional hardware cost, but I do agree with the principle of "attention-getting" that George cited as a key motivator.

perhaps a splash screen when you press start could inform you that you can connect to the game with brief instruction on the screen and then you have to press start a second time to start the game, which could force you to look at the screen. Could be disabled in the menus for home games. I don't like the intrusiveness and look of the QR nor the hardware requirements to connect. Plus, the Scorbit app works really well. The industry has never played nice across manufacturers, but perhaps in this instance, there was a good opportunity missed to do so.

#1449 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

Achievements and score tracking and whatnot were a cool experience. I'm for it, and hope the machines in my area are retrofitted. I'm honestly more likely to go play at locations near me if I know they're going to have IC. Breathes new life into those machines for me.

so if this is what you want out of the system (which is the same that I want and I think it's a cool innovation that JJP started), i don't understand what stern is trying to achieve or how this generates revenue for them. It would be much simpler to go with just a software route, like scorbit. when I log in to the insider account it asks me if I want to upgrade my account, which I am not doing because to me I don't see any benefit to it. I seriously doubt any casual player at a location is going to do anything more than register a basic account because all we really want to do is track scores and compete with friends. Like you and others have said, stern likely has their reasons for doing what they did, but the need to retrofit older games to me does not seem like the way to go with expensive hardware. sorry for beating a dead horse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 385.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 23.95
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Butler, PA
11,100 (OBO)
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 549.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Machine - For Sale
Carl Junction, MO
$ 23.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 9,695.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

11,500 (Firm)
$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lermods.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=lermods and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.