stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider krellan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3007 1 year ago
Quoted from TrixTrix:

Only WPA/WPA2 connections are support for security reasons. WEP and open networks are not supported. If you require connecting to WEP or and open network, you can use a WiFi repeater which connects to the WEP/open network and provides a WPA AP for the pinball machines.
Additionally, you could have the WiFi repeater connect to a 5GHz network and then connect the repeater to the pinball via Ethernet for a faster connection.

That's a real bummer. I tried to add the network, perhaps that's why it was not found. This is for a game in an office. There's a "guest" network that is intentionally open. This is the only available network (the others are only for officially approved corporate devices, and have their own unique authentication, which the pinball machine wouldn't be able to do).

I'm going to try the solution of a repeater, using a small travel router that I stuff into the game (powered from the service outlet), and then hook up the game with a wired connection to the router. I also need the capability to connect to a 5 GHz network, which I've heard the Stern Insider kit can't do by default, unfortunately.

Do you know if Stern Insider supports IPv6, or does it require IPv4 for the connection?

#3008 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Very useful to know thanks! As much as I applaud you for this I also I think you guys should re-consider this. I'm putting some games into a hotel this week and the only wifi is open wifi and its a real pain to have to get a repeater and such. Although I'm glad I know this before I got there
I'm also about to put a game into my office. a repeater will be detected quickly and disconnected. Not sure how I'm going to connect the game as the private wifi requires authentication, there is open wifi and normally you have to register for it with a web browser but I can bypass that with the wifi Mac address of the game at the wifi controller side but if it won't even see the network thats going to be a pain.
Neil.

Hmm, how would a repeater be detected quickly and disconnected? I'm not sure how the main wireless network would be able to detect if a particular device is a repeater or not. I have disabled all of the Wi-Fi network names being served by my travel router (both regular and guest, both 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz, total of 4 names). So, there's no Wi-Fi server functionality visible from the router. I have the router just set to connect to the office Wi-Fi network, as if it's a normal Wi-Fi client device (the office Wi-Fi network does not have a password). The router has NAT, to share the IP received from the network, so the network shouldn't detect the presence of an additional device behind the router. I will connect the router to the game using a wired Ethernet cable, so the game will think it has a wired connection. Hopefully, this will work (I haven't been back to the office to try it yet).

Fortunately, no authentication is required for this network (I think). If yours does require authentication, I hope that it will last for a long time once authenticated, and not time out. Then, you could authenticate using your phone, then set the router to clone your phone's MAC address. That will fool the network into thinking your router is already authenticated. Most travel routers have this feature. Assuming the network authenticates by MAC address, and doesn't time out the authentication, this should work as a solution for you.

#3023 1 year ago
Quoted from scootss:

I was going to recommend this exact solution. I haven't had a need to try it for IC, but those travel routers are a great hack for challenging wifi setups.

It worked! I installed a travel router into the backbox of the game.

The power supply's service outlet is really stuffed into a corner and hard to get to, so I used a "squid" (little extension cord) to get easier access to it.

The travel router converts the game's wired Ethernet connection to a wireless connection, forwarding it along. The travel router correctly deals with the case of a wireless network having no password. Unfortunately, it doesn't do IPv4 to IPv6 conversion, which would have been nice, but I found another workaround for that (it's site-dependent here). As for creating a rogue access point, I disabled all the other access points that the travel router would create, so it's effectively invisible. Nobody else will be able to wirelessly get into it, for security.

#3024 1 year ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Why not just hook the game up to ethernet? You can plug that into the backbox and ignore the wifi dongle. Unless the wired network requires auth of course, in which case your solution works as long as the travel router can authenticate.

Is there an opening, in the back of the game, to get the wired Ethernet cable through? I looked around. Unfortunately, it's solid metal back there. The ventilation holes at the top appear too small to get a cable through (unlike the old Williams backboxes, which had wider holes).

Also, there's no convenient Ethernet jacks nearby, at the site where the game was placed.

#3025 1 year ago

The game (Godzilla Pro) is now happily on the Internet. The "Test Connection" menu item works. I also updated it to the latest 0.94.0 software.

Unfortunately, ran into a problem on the Stern Insider webpage. I have the game showing registration pending, but I can't complete it. The webpage shows the error message "User address verification failed". Does anybody else get this?

I tried editing my Stern Insider account information, to try a few other mailing addresses that work for me (such as a post office box). Unfortunately, none of them worked. After address entry, Stern offers a correction feature, to correct the syntax of the address, according to some official address database somewhere that they must be using. I did that, but that didn't help either.

It won't let me finish registering the game without getting past this "User address verification failed" error message, unfortunately. So, the game still shows as offline, when somebody holds up their QR code and tries to play it.

Has anybody else ran into physical mailing address verification issues? It's as frustrating as Coinbase, sigh....

#3027 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

We have intelligence in our network for detecting rogue AP's.
I just think not having an open option isn't the best idea when often you don't control the wifi in a location.
Neil.

Agreed. I turned off all the wireless AP functionality in the travel router, turning it into just a wired-to-wireless adapter. So, I'm not creating any rogue AP's.

Lots of intelligence in this network as well. As for keeping it wide open, it's not my decision to make, but they definitely know what they are doing....

#3028 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Check tomorrow. Seems that is on Stern's end to approve the pending registration.

Really? Is it a manual process? If so, a better message would have been something like "Your address is undergoing validation, please allow X business days" instead of "User address verification failed".

However, Stern's website is full of odd decisions, such as making the friend search feature strictly case-sensitive but displaying all friend names in all uppercase, thus preventing you from searching for a friend when you see their name displayed on a game....

#3034 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Is it working today?

Not sure. I haven't been able to get back to the game. Will go there again next week.

Interestingly, on the Stern Insider website, I had entered my physical mailing address, but now, on the website, it is blank, as if I had never entered it at all. If this is how they indicate successful verification, it's strange indeed. I don't want to try entering it again, lest I break any existing verification, until I have a chance to get to the game.

Unfortunately, there is a time limit on games pending registration, and the Stern Insider website will automatically remove games that aren't registered within a period of time from when you first get them online and walk through the menu on the game to initiate the connection to Stern Insider. That's unfortunate, but perhaps for security.

#3060 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I actually made my own cable so I could put the untermminated cable through the vent hole. Finally one of my old IT skills paid off directly for pinball! Lol
If you know an old time sysadmin who has done this work and has the tools, it takes like 5 minutes. [quoted image]

Nice! I have a crimper for cable TV wiring, but not for Ethernet. I heard that homemade cables aren't as good as commercially-bought cables anymore (it's hard to get the twisted pairs to be twisted enough near the connectors), but for the fairly low-speed application of a Stern pinball machine, it should be OK.

I'll look into this, or perhaps using the topper hole (I didn't know it existed, at the top of the backbox, hopefully it's a removable and replaceable plug), if a second Stern Insider machine comes into the location. The travel router I have can support two wired Ethernet clients at once (or I could just get a cheap hub/switch for more games).

As for network security, it's fine. The network at this site also has really good security, no unauthorized wireless access points are allowed. I'm fine, though, my travel router isn't a repeater or access point, it's merely a Wi-Fi client. From the network's point of view, it looks just like any other Wi-Fi client.

#3061 1 year ago
Quoted from Jesder:

My insider connected pro kit arrived yesterday and I went through the set up process.
Sadly I'm stuck at the "User address verification failed" error when trying to complete registration.
[quoted image]
I contacted Stern who got back to me over night saying that Insider Connected is having issues with registartion for addresses outside the US at the moment. So not much I can do other than wait and hope they get it resolved quickly.
I don't understand the need for address verification when the game is being registered directly to my insider connected account. It would make sense if I'm a location/venue and want to have "verified" achievements - then I can understand there would be a few extra hoops to jump through to ensure only machines registered to verified locations can support the feature. But for someone like myself who only has my games at home, address verification seems unessessary to me.

I'm in the USA, but had the same issue. Eventually, I tried a PO Box that I have.

I opened a ticket on Stern's Zendesk site, and they got back to me. They said they were having a few problems on their end, and it might take several days to validate. Interestingly, the address field I now have in my Stern Insider account is now completely empty, according to the website. I asked about this, and they said it's normal (shrug). Don't change it, unless you intend to change your address, as that will reset the verification procedure and it might not work anymore.

Happily, now, it works! I returned to the game when I could, and it immediately jumped onto the Stern Insider network and was happy, the first time. So, that's good. I completed the registration process on the app, without further incident, and the game is now happy. It recognizes me (and other players) and awards achievements.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 45.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Fargo, ND
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

$ 42.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wood Dale, IL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Drumstarr mods

$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BomberMods

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider krellan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=krellan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.