stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jurulz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1754 2 years ago

I've been able to use the Stern IC on my Deadpool Pro using the bottom arch of my GZLE.

I didn't removed the ethernet cable from GZLE I simply used another one and i try with a 8 GB micro sd card but it didn't work. I use the one from Godzilla for now.

IMG_1435 (resized).jpgIMG_1435 (resized).jpgIMG_1436 (resized).jpgIMG_1436 (resized).jpgIMG_1437 (resized).jpgIMG_1437 (resized).jpg
#1756 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Did you just run a long cable to the other cab and disconnect it from Godzilla ?

A short one, the cable connect to the node board close to the arch. My goal was to leave the cable in GZ. So i used a temporary 6ft ethernet cable but 3ft should me more then enough.
9CB7E4A3-8F25-4F1F-A456-5420163DEE1B (resized).jpeg9CB7E4A3-8F25-4F1F-A456-5420163DEE1B (resized).jpeg

#1762 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I see so you moved the reader from the apron . I was thinking I could just hook multiple cablea and move it at will but that seems lame

No i didn’t move the QR reader from the apron.

But yeah you could in theory use a very cable and plug it to another node board game… i will try that.

#1767 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

does it pull an ip?
Does it do any networking with just e-net plugged in?

You need to have a compatible wifi dongle with a Ralink 5370 chipset. This one is the one used by stern: https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html

A virgin 16gb micro sd card that you need to plugin in the beagle board of the Spike 2 board.

You can connect the QR code reader using an ethernet cable on the game you want to use the Other game node board 4.

FD4EC1C1-EFE9-401A-833C-A28B80E7DB75 (resized).jpegFD4EC1C1-EFE9-401A-833C-A28B80E7DB75 (resized).jpeg
#1771 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

It’s also compatible with Ralink RT5572 as there have been panda pau09 adaptors (much better than the 2.4ghz only canakit) shipped as well.

Good to know!

#1772 2 years ago
Quoted from AntennaMan:

My Connect on GZ pro worked for one session, now I get "This machine isn't online currently"(or similar). SW0.81. It worked on both 0.77 & 0.81. I've rebooted both the modem & router numerous times, they're only about 10' from the pin. On the pin I've rescanned for wifi numerous times. The first couple of times it show all my networks, but now it's not bringing up any SSIDs, but shows it's connected to the network I set it up on a couple of days ago. A couple of resets of the USB dongle. I even turned the pin on and off a couple of times. Thoughts?

I had the same issue when the game was connected to my Wifi but no internet connection.

Did you try to reset the wifi within the stern WIFI config?

#1796 2 years ago

Here is a quick tutorial i created for sharing your Stern IC QR reader to other compatible Games.

***Disclaimer*** I'm not responsible if you damage your game(s) use this method at your own risk. Enjoy!

Here is the link for couple of the requirements that i use for this tutorial:
Wifi dongle: https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html
Micro SD Card: amazon.com link »
RJ45 physical selector: amazon.com link »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11RfpKi4Pd7I0E5fRpZh86YdCjwuZoIkY/view?usp=sharing

#1805 2 years ago
Quoted from Flipstream:

Any particular wiring requirements for the RJ45 connection? Does it matter, or will any straight-through wire order work?

Yeah Straight through will be my recommendation. Not sure the nod board can handle crossover cable…

#1824 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

My GZ Premium should get delivered today, and I'm planning on sharing the IC Scanner with two other machines (Iron Maiden and Deadpool) using jurulz 's method. I've already run the Cat6 cable and installed the microSD card and network dongle in my Iron Maiden, but it requires the detection of the scanner before it will let you go through network setup.
Question for somebody who has done this - do you need to have the scanner wired to the machine at boot up for IC to work, or is it possible to toggle the scanner on (using the manual network switch) after boot up and have it still enable IC?
Would be much more convenient if that were the case, but I sort of doubt it will be that easy. Rebooting each time might be necessary.

Yes, you can totally activate the scanner after the game has booted and IC will connect automatically.

#1826 2 years ago
Quoted from TinyBlackDog:

That is so awesome! Thanks again for your detailed guide. I was able to extend IC to 2 machines for about $75 in Amazon parts - a third one would only cost another $30 (Wifi + MicroSD + Cat6 cable). I went with a 4 way manual switch that I'll be mounting on top of the coin box inside my GZ. It will be a simple open the coin door and push a button to switch.

Awesome!! I'm glad that i'm the only one in hurry to have achievements on his games. haha

What 4 way manual switch you bought? I bought the 2 way since it was the only one available for next day delivery i was in hurry to test my POC. i need 4 way one.

#1830 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any way to get this to work on an Elvira Premium? If so, which kit works? Thanks in advance!

Do you have a GZ? If yes use my guide

#1832 2 years ago
Quoted from noysboy:

This might work as a four way selector?
amazon.com link »

It was not visible in amazon Canada

But they can ship to canada.

I Just buy it directly at aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4000096679915.html

#1833 2 years ago
Quoted from Palmer:

Is there no social friends tracking on IC? Would be nice to have a friends list and be able to look at their stats. Maybe a friends only leaderboard.

Yes you can check your friend points but no leaderboard yet....

#1835 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

t it without the scanner selected, but Elvira is fine. So I just leave it on Zilla when I am done, and switching seems ok.

Quoted from noysboy:
This might work as a four way selector?

Quoted from Mando:

My Godzilla , which came with the scanner gives a node board 4 error if I boot it without the scanner selected, but Elvira is fine. So I just leave it on Zilla when I am done, and switching seems ok.

It does I have it!

For GZ, it will boot eventually after like 45 secondes if i remember correctly. My assumption is that the QR scanner is part of the requirements in the game code since it's built-in feature.

#1878 2 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hi,
Catching up the train on insider.
Godzilla is currently updating.
That works well, as the jjp scorbit does.
Pros and cons for both ways of dealing with pinball connectivity.
Is there any way to add a cheap insider kit, I guess the whole electronic stuff is cheaper than the 220€ asked by Stern..
Some DIY??
Edit :
OK, so the qr reader seems proprietary with a node board. Moving it to another game enables the connectivity. The wifi dongle can be purchased anywhere.
But what if you start a connected game without the qr reader?
I saw the doc for sharing the reader but my games are not in the same room, so physically difficult to do so..
I would be glad to have connectivity without the qr reader for upcoming functions of audits and sharing..

You can always buy one kit for the QR reader (or remove the one from your GZ) and move it from game to game by plugging an Ethernet Cable on node 4 and mount it externally. (don't forget the micro sd card + Wifi Dongle).

#1888 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Anybody having an issue with their USB wifi adapter not being recognized?

Did the microSD card is detected?

#1891 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Got my Elvira working with the micro sd card, canakit wifi usb, and an RJ45 coupler extender. Easier than expected.
The next step is to wire all 4 of my insider-ready machines via a 4 way switcher. Parts should be here soon.
I really like how the pinball machine generates a QR code for your wifi network. It’s a nice convenience, esp with 128 bit encryption passwords.

Welcome to the club!! Yeah sharing the QR reader is super easy to do. Seems that my quick guide that i built in couple minutes is not that bad haha.

#1892 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Yeah I think so, the app was up and saying something along the lines of "usb wifi adapter not installed ". I had trouble getting it recognized during the installation, then it finally worked After a few reseats / reboots. Today the game isn't being seen as connected even though it's up and running on location. I had somebody there reboot it and still no dice.

Did you try to reseat the dongle or change the USB port?

2 weeks later
#2076 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi... amazon.com link »
SanDisk 16GB Ultra microSDHC... amazon.com link »
Toptekits 4 Port Way 8P8C RJ45... amazon.com link »
Monoprice 0.5FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz... amazon.com link »
Monoprice 25FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz... amazon.com link »
Amazon Basics RJ45 Cat-6 Gigabit... amazon.com link »
RJ45 Coupler?Ethernet Coupler, in... amazon.com link »
Since I’ve had several people message me personally, I’ll link y’all to the items I bought to make this work.
One 25’ cat6 per machine you’re looking to hook up (green cables)
You’ll need a coupler to extend the cable (red cable) from the insider connected board to the splitter, if you want to mount it in the front of the machine and open it with some slack. If you want to just leave it in your cab, you won’t need the extender, but it’s much more convenient to have it outside the machine, so you don’t have to open the door and kill power each time you want to use it.
I just used a few zip-ties to fasten the 2 splitters to each other, and the splitters to various parts of the coin mech to keep it in place. Just a quick bit of black cardboard to fill the gap. Good enough for me.
Oh, and yes, that’s a cowbell underneath Godzilla. It fires off instead of a knocker, ya know, a little blue oyster cult nod but that picture is to show y’all where all the cables come out of Godzilla and run to the other machines.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

I made a guide 3 weeks ago on how to share a QR code reader with different games: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-share-stern-ic-reader-with-other-games

#2078 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Yeah, I read through your guide, thank you for that btw but I was looking to hook up 5 machines with multiple splitters. I'll have to update my sketch, as I'm using both 4-way selectors to move the reader between 5 games.

Haha thx! You can use another splitter and hook it to another ports of your 'primary' physical splitter

#2081 2 years ago
Quoted from ChrisBardon:

Has anyone transferred an IC game from one owner to another? I just got a used Godzilla pro, and there doesn't seem to be any way to register it to my account. Do I just have to get the old owner to delete it first?
So far I haven't had much luck with the canakit wifi adapter. Signal strength is garbage inside the backbox. With a usb extender it seems a little better out in the open, so I might see if it works any better with an extension cable to the front of the game JJP style. Otherwise, if you want to run off ethernet, does it just connect to the open port on the bottom of the CPU board?
I like the setup with the switch too-I'm guessing you can't just use a standard n-port ethernet switch on there and keep everything connected at the same time? No idea what the protocol is on those lines, but probably something custom. I like the idea of a central sign-in location for all the games though-maybe even a way to drive sign in remotely for tournament play?

Yes the previous Owner need to go on his Account on Stern Insider and Unregister the game.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2083 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Update.
Got the latest Stranger Things update, which pushes me past the 4 bank selector into the messy area of daisy-chaining 2 4-bank selectors. Here’s my updated schematic.
[quoted image]

Wow Very nice!

1 week later
#2191 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

There is no doubt stern are going to do something that means an SIC game in progress will poll the QR node board if everyone does this (I’ve got the switcher solution until I can get kits).

Don't worry I have some workaround

Quoted from acedanger:

lol folks here that spend thousands of dollars are some of the cheapest motherfuckers out there lol just buy the kits... kinda hack.

My initial motivation of creating the QR reader sharing method was when Stern drop the codes for mutiple games to enable the IC part i wanted to enable achievements on my other SPIKE 2 Games ASAP while waiting for my kits to arrive.

It was more a POC while waiting for my kits but i'm glad that many people find it useful and some find that we are cheap Mothef*** using this method haha

Happy new year everyone!

#2192 2 years ago

Double post...

#2212 2 years ago
Quoted from DonnyBrsco:

Using the cankit wifi dongle..It's connected to the stern network tested the the connection. Date updated and it even loads achievements but leaves node boArd 9 not seen.. The other games I own didn't make it as far as imdn..The others don't see the kit as i updating them the same way as the the stern video..When I revert back to gdz it updates the node 4 for that game..Same for imdn but doesn't see node 9 when the qr reader is connected ..But it does when I remove in plug the original ethernet back in. Something didn't update to route them properly it seems..

Do you have any tech alerts in the operator menu?

#2215 2 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

anybody try and connect a WiFi dongle to their machine without the insider connect to see if you can connect and get code updates?

No it will not work sadly

#2216 2 years ago
Quoted from DonnyBrsco:

Yes node boArd 9 not initiated when the qr is plugged in..Then none when I remove it and it finds node 9.

Which version if the code did you use?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

11,500 (Firm)
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

9,000 (OBO)
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 19.99
Electronics
GMods

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 210.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Gov's Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jurulz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=jurulz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.