stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (12 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#441 2 years ago

<duplicate post>

#443 2 years ago

Many operators don’t update the code that ships with the game. Not sure expecting those types to embrace a new ecosystem is the key to success.

Probably more sizzle than steak and a novelty that will be used by a tiny fraction of players.

#624 2 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Pinball purists bitching about this new technology and how it's useless, unneeded, cumbersome, executed improperly, offers achievements or rewards they are not interested in or whatever, don't realize how huge this is going to be for them too. This is going to be an absolute monster game changer of a development tool for Stern. Once they figure out how to use the data, they are going to make better games than ever. They will be able to get gameplay data from thousands of users of all types, not just anecdotal evidence from test locations or audits from a few trusted operators.
They will be able to tell if a ramp shot is too hard and people aren't getting to modes. They will be able to determine replay value if a game is too hard or too easy etc. Users constantly blow up a multi-ball shot, get massive scores and don't bother to come back? Okay we'll change that and make the game more challenging and more fun. Being able to track individual users will give them gameplay data from casual players and pros, and they'll be able to tell the difference. They will know what makes games earn on location, they'll know what people do at home. So even if you have no interest in any of the features, rest assured pure pinball is only going to get better because of it. Games will be engineered to be more fun and your gonna buy more of them.

You are giving Stern WAY too much credit.

They could do all this stuff but there’s nothing in their history that suggests they will. Everything you mentioned used to get looked at with pre-release location testing. They certainly aren’t going to make physical changes to existing games based on the data. Maybe some software tweaks but that’s not likely either. This is all about marketing the existing product, not improving it.

1 week later
#785 2 years ago

Well, guess Stern doesn’t want me. It says the email address I’ve used for over twenty years has an invalid domain name and will not let me join Insider.

Obviously there are still some bugs in the system.

#848 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

I guess technically you could probably get away with the stock apron on EHOH if you don't need to or don't care to display the instruction card (Home use environment, for example). Wonder if they'll offer that?

Doubt it. Stern has already indicated new aprons will be included in the Batman and Elvira kits.

1 week later
#921 2 years ago

Batman and Elvira require new aprons

#925 2 years ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

The Beatles: 11/6/2018
Elvira's House of Horrors: 9/18/2019

Elvira was 9/17/19 (Cassandra’s birthday)

#928 2 years ago

I stand corrected. I could have sworn it was the 17th. But it turns out it was *my* birthday

#961 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinhead1982:

With this, I could see Stern games not selling as many units as before..

With no possibility of changing code to better Sterns offerings, this might deter people from
Buying..

There are a lot of reasons not to buy a new Stern game. The possibility that assets won’t be changeable by DIYers isn’t one of them …

#971 2 years ago
Quoted from bdaddy:

To me the best we can hope for is that we can run 2 different versions of code - 1 with insider connect, 1 with custom code - and you just switch in and out with whatever you want.

Lol! No chance Stern would allow this.

#999 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Is the expectation that everything should be free forever?

The expectation is that the cost of fully completed software is included in the development BOM of any given game.

#1024 2 years ago

Is there an app for IC for the iPhone? I can’t find one.

#1153 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

You really think Stern is gonna sell these below their typical margins? I don't. $150-$200 is 'low cost' in Stern's world of inflated parts.

flynnibus has been dead on with his analysis of IC so far, but this is slightly off. Stern will sell the retro kits closer to $300 for sure and more for games like Batman and Elvira that require special aprons.

If Stern really wanted to see IC adopted they wouldn’t be making a profit on the readers/kits (and perhaps subsidizing them - think giving away the razor to sell the blades).

I’m sure there will be some use of IC moving forward (because it will be built into the game) but there’s no way most ops are going to pay to retrofit existing games at hundreds per.

#1162 2 years ago
Quoted from TommyMc:

I think the price will be better than most people think it's going to be. Stern has a lot riding on IC and needs a good launch to get this off the ground.

What are you expecting?

#1167 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

the distributer I talked to said the retrofit kits will be $180.

I presume that was for the games that don’t require new aprons?

#1205 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

These guys are not ready for operators.

And this surprises … whom?

IC is an interesting idea, but I’m extremely skeptical Stern has the ability to take the concept and actually make it a success.

[edited for grammar].

#1237 2 years ago
Quoted from Gizmata:

CanaKit Wifi Dongle shows a cost of $19.95 on the page link below. A search for Wifi on the site shows its $8.95 in the search index until you click to the item page.
https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi-wifi.html
[quoted image][quoted image]

So Stern will charge $100 …

#1239 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

+ an new SD card
+ the node board
+ E-net cable
+ others

I wasn’t talking about their price for the kit … just the price for the dongle

#1267 2 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Pretty sure it is $279, based on what a distributor told me

If true, big fail by Stern.

1 week later
#1366 2 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Certain things could be useful. For example, if Stern sees a key shot or feature only being achieved by 1% of users, maybe they could decide to change a rule or setting so more than 1% of users experience it. Unless it's defeating a wizard mode or something that is designed to be extremely hard to do.

I suspect Stern is far more interested in using IC to drive incremental revenue rather than product improvements.

#1370 2 years ago
Quoted from gblack:

product improvements = more people playing and wanting a Stern = more revenue

People are buying new LEs and Premiums sight unseen on rumors and hope. Significantly increased prices haven’t seemed to matter. Any additional game sales revenue based on IC data will almost certainly be rounding error.

#1431 2 years ago

Anyone have a cliff notes summary of George’s IC discussion today? Got to imagine there isn’t two hours of news there.

#1471 2 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

Not sure why Stern wouldn't offer a non-QR reader workflow for Insider Connect. Would allow people with pre-Insider Connect pins to just buy a wifi dongle for $20 to get the Insider Connect features, and would provide an alternative workflow for if/when a QR reader on location is broken. Maybe that is on the roadmap for the future.
While I think it would be fun to have achievements, spending a $1000.00 to upgrade my existing pins to Connect is not something I am going to do.

Agree. I only have two games I could add IC too but one of them is Elvira which already has an awesome mod in the spot that Stern uses for the QR reader. I might consider hooking it up if it could be used to scan with the coin door open, though that doesn’t seem likely.

Stern may sell more upgrade kits if there some clever modder can come up with a way to move a reader from game to game for home use.

#1484 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I'm sure someone will move the reader eventually... It's just a RJ-45 cable to it... and making it mounted/accessible.

Is the node board connected to the QR reader?

#1503 2 years ago

You would think users would be automatically logged out when a game is over.

#1547 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Maybe this was already mentioned, but does anyone know if this has wallet functionality so that I can load up my Stern account with money then scanning on a machine will also pay to play each time

No

#1593 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-NJA:

“Stern should sell at cost or LESS?!”
Come on now.

Why not? In marketing that’s known as a loss leader and considered part of customer acquisition cost for products expected to produce recurring revenue and/or locking in a customer.

#1630 2 years ago

I’m a home user and really don’t want the reader on the apron of either of my supported games (Batman and Elvira)

I’m hoping that someone will make a mod for the QR reader that houses the board/reader in a more rectangular box (small as possible) that would connect to an RJ-45 fit into the tournament button hole so you could easily move the reader from game to game. I’d have an Ethernet cord a few feet long connecting both ends so the box could be easily positioned on the outside of the game somewhere (Velcro/magnets). This obviously doesn’t work for location games but home users could easily move the reader from game to game.

#1634 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Not sure if the power for the QR reader also comes in on that same RJ-45 cable . If not, another power cable might be needed as well to power it.

Putting a $20 dongle in each machine is a no brainer or I can hardwire the games to the LAN. Multiple options in my arcade room since I didn’t know initially where RFM was going to go. As long as the internet connectivity can be used without an active QR reader I’ll connect the games.

Good point on the power cable though. I presume there’s no PoE support.

#1638 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The reader seems only connected via the Spike Bus.. so it gets all it needs from from the spike bus it appears.
I doubt you would be able to plug the reader in/out w/o the game off and cycling it once the node board is in place.. and you'd have to terminate the spike bus (same RJ plug they use now) when the reader isn't there.
At this point there is no connectivity value without the reader - though obviously that could change. We also don't know how the game will react for insider if the reader isn't present. I haven't bothered to monkey with that.

Wasn’t expecting hot swap support so assumed games would be powered down/rebooted. Forgot about termination but that should be easy enough.

#1640 2 years ago

And what about code updates over Wi-Fi/Ethernet? Are they going to require a QR reader to function? That would be really dumb. Sure most will have the QR reader but don’t nerf connectivity if you have a connected machine.

#1642 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Someone should try it with a WiFi dongle and the new code on a supported game. But my bet is that the game looks for that node board for the reader before it enables connectivity. Maybe also something to do with that microSD card? An authentication key?

Maybe it does, but why? IC supports two main functions — logins to IC and remote code updates. Why deliberately disable a key feature?

#1650 2 years ago

Well, they need space to download and verify an upgrade image before updating the image on the motherboard SD card.

2 weeks later
#1715 2 years ago

Have retro fit kits for older games shipped yet?

#1720 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I’m thinking about ordering these, but sadly they don’t work for Elvira for some reason.

Elvira and Batman have special kits. Haven’t seen them available for order yet.

#1738 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Are the kits to make EHOH ready for install available though? It seems it’s been excluded along with BM66 from the kits so far due to a configuration reason.

Two distributors I’ve called say not yet.

#1742 2 years ago

The microSD card makes sense but this implies that no connectivity is possible without the QR reader, which would be unfortunate.

#1758 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

I see so you moved the reader from the apron . I was thinking I could just hook multiple cablea and move it at will but that seems lame

Why? I’m going to try that. Run the cable out the tournament button hole or just inside the coin door. I may get one reader for home but don’t see getting two and I only have two Spike 2 games.

1 week later
#1838 2 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Any way to get this to work on an Elvira Premium? If so, which kit works? Thanks in advance!

As long as you don’t want the Elvira specific apron either kit will work. This mod was tested on Elvira.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount#post-6633319

#1899 2 years ago

Anyway to share a QR reader between two games across the room from each other without running a cat5 cable across the floor?

(Yes, I know the easiest way would be to put the two machines next to each other but easier said than done)

#1909 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

It's a physical power connection along with data - You need a hardwired connection.

Yeah was afraid of that. Thanks.

1 week later
#2018 2 years ago

What strikes me right away is how ugly it looks. It really takes away from the artwork on the game.

I’m really glad the coin door mod is available so home users can relocate the reader.

#2023 2 years ago
Quoted from TommyMc:

If using the coin door reader I assume you will have to unplug the Cat5 cable when you lift the playfield.

I don’t have a reader yet but I would probably run it from the CPU to the coin door. I’m sure there is a way to do it without having to running a cable that could get pulled inadvertently.

2 weeks later
#2258 2 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’ve been installing kits today. I looked at Elvira. It’s exactly the same as the other premium games I have installed the kits in. Why do they say it’s not compatible with Elvira? There is nothing at all different about it. Same triangular spot, nothing in the way around it. Same node board port is available, etc. Is it something in the LE’s or SLE’s that is different? I think I will install a kit in Elvira.

The kit is known to work in Elvira.

It’s listed as not compatible because there are special aprons for IC for Batman, Elvira and Beatles (maybe a couple more).

2 weeks later
#2395 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

Have they said if they are going to be selling kits without the new apron? If I end up getting one it's not going on the apron anyways so I would prefer just the hardware without it.

Stern hasn’t announced anything other than Pro or Premium kits with replacement aprons.

#2411 2 years ago
Quoted from ULEKstore:

Question: Has anyone tried connecting an IC kit for Batman 66 yet and run into any issues?
I made an IC plate for the coin door (because I didn’t want to mess up the look of the apron), but there are no open/free Ethernet connections on the node board.
Any ideas or advise would greatly be appreciated.
-David
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I really like the look of your plate but would love to see what you could do with a “Bat Scanner” or similar text to integrate it into the theme since home users are going to know what it’s for.

#2420 2 years ago
Quoted from tedwasright:

Does anyone know if it's possible to print your code and keep it on a piece of paper instead of your phone? Would that still work?

Yes

1 week later
#2530 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

That’s my concern….that whole board would need to be replaced and I’m not all to technical with this stuff. I emailed stern to send a new card and if that doesn’t work I may just return the whole IC system unless stern wants to send a new board to get this fancy new highly promoted feature to work. Shame…It was cool the one time it connected.

The SD card is very different from the node board.

If the node board is at issue, that’s definitely a Stern issue

Swapping the SD card is cheap and trivial. Nothing needs to be done as the game will format it correctly.

3 weeks later
#2663 2 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

How does a color DMD add value to a game? Same thing isn’t it. Take it off and sell it separately then.

You can’t even begin to equate the value of a ColorDMD with an IC. The first fundamentally changes the game experience for everyone; the second is a gimmick for a minority.

1 week later
#2746 2 years ago
Quoted from goldsmid:

This is helpful. Unfortunately, I have the PinPAC4 from Pinnovators and it takes up more of the door panel. I would love to see if there is a different way to integrate a scanner.

The Pinnovators folks think that they can make a plate that will fit PinPAC4 and the QR scanner but I didn’t have a scanner to send them when we talked.

#2782 2 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Stern has to know the whole thing is failing.
Maybe they thought there would be more early adoption? I sent Stern an email to get some marketing materials and Tylor didn't even bother answering my email.

Stern made three key, possibly fatal, mistakes;
1) Releasing a half baked product.
2) Not selling kits to early adopters at cost/loss leader
3) Having nothing to appeal to casual users

3 weeks later
#2887 2 years ago
Quoted from Mando:

Can these plug into any open port or only the one bottom left of playfield.?

Any port

3 weeks later
#2949 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

No, not unlucky. they are failing at high rates… even after some time.

The idea of getting a couple for home is getting less and less appealing. No (apparent) improvement in functionality and flaky hardware doesn’t inspire excitement.

2 weeks later
#3011 1 year ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

I just ordered a premium kit for my EHOH…everyone says it works fine. I think its the LE that needs something special in the kit on EHOH.

Nothing special required for the LE.

2 months later
#3357 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern should have had these at launch

Where did those come from?

3 weeks later
#3563 1 year ago

So could you use a scanner once to get set up at home or is all of the IC function blocked at power on if the scanner node board is not found?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

$ 14.95
8,500 (OBO)
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
FlipMods

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

€ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 250.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 125.88
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ChainsawMods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.