stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harried.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#369 2 years ago

Nice features and possibilities to make this a great addition. I am curious for the price tag in this feature, it's just a QR code reader and some software.

Time will tell.

#515 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

:
I don't use a cell phone for access to the internet.
I use a computer for that with wifi access on broadband.
I don't use facebook or any other apps of any kind, especially from a cell phone.
The phone makes phone calls and sends SMS text messages for free, so if there is any charge for data, it is too much.
I don't think I should have to pay anything for "data" on a cell phone that I never use, but that is just my opinion.

Well, I guess this feature is not meant for you. Scroll further, nothing to see here for you.

3 months later
#1929 2 years ago

`Cannot connect to the server either (NL, GZ PRO)

#2004 2 years ago

Don't know if this has been asked before but here it goes:

Does anyone know if this set is a generic set or fixed for one machine. It comes with some generic apron for which the stickers need to be moved to the new apron (why by the way, it can't be too expensive to add a set of apron stickers), and a SD card which must be mounted to the CPU board. Is there some specific code on that card custom to a machine?

The reason I am asking is that I'm considering to buy a couple of these sets and if I sell a machine transfer the set to another machine. As time evolves and if I buy new(er) machines this issue will solve itself I guess but for now I would like to be able to reuse the insider set.

I love the achievements option of stern insider.

#2070 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

CanaKit Raspberry Pi WiFi... amazon.com link »
SanDisk 16GB Ultra microSDHC... amazon.com link »
Toptekits 4 Port Way 8P8C RJ45... amazon.com link »
Monoprice 0.5FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz... amazon.com link »
Monoprice 25FT 24AWG Cat6 550MHz... amazon.com link »
Amazon Basics RJ45 Cat-6 Gigabit... amazon.com link »
RJ45 Coupler,Ethernet Coupler, in... amazon.com link »
Since I’ve had several people message me personally, I’ll link y’all to the items I bought to make this work.
One 25’ cat6 per machine you’re looking to hook up (green cables)
You’ll need a coupler to extend the cable (red cable) from the insider connected board to the splitter, if you want to mount it in the front of the machine and open it with some slack. If you want to just leave it in your cab, you won’t need the extender, but it’s much more convenient to have it outside the machine, so you don’t have to open the door and kill power each time you want to use it.
I just used a few zip-ties to fasten the 2 splitters to each other, and the splitters to various parts of the coin mech to keep it in place. Just a quick bit of black cardboard to fill the gap. Good enough for me.
Oh, and yes, that’s a cowbell underneath Godzilla. It fires off instead of a knocker, ya know, a little blue oyster cult nod but that picture is to show y’all where all the cables come out of Godzilla and run to the other machines.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Great man, great hack and thanks for sharing.

Now wait for Stern to update the code to avoid this hack.

#2119 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

The reader already has a clear plastic front on it. A bracket is just needed to mount it in place with 2-4 screws.
I spend some time designing the mount that I am selling and it perfectly matches up with the coin door hardware and QR reader. It comes with everything needed to mount the reader including a 15ft Cat 5 cable. Unless you plan on printing a bunch of them I think it is very reasonable for $39.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1295-gotfrogs/05569-stern-insider-connected-qr-code-reader-coin-door-mount
[quoted image]

Good idea, really bad price. 39 dollars for a piece of plastic?

#2130 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

The seller has stated it is a whole kit including cables and clearly you do not attach any value to a man's time for drafting up the 3D print model. You are welcome to make you own if you can't justify a $39 purchase for your 7-10k game

Well, I disagree with you. I really enjoy someone creating a mod and spending time on it. I really love the fact that people are putting effort in adding enhancements to machines.

What I dislike is when the labor of passion turns into a labor of love for the green. I myself am creating several mods myself and ask a fair price for something that is ready "to go public".
E.g. I make those silent fans for Stern Spike 2 systems. Price is 25€ per fan and 40€ builtin.
I make them 284/285 boards for pacman arcade cpu board. Price: 20€ each and here you don't want to know how much time I spent creating these.
I sell the pacman 4 in 1 board incl high score save board for a more than fair price of 70€ (all is soldered in, plug and play)

So don't patronise me on costs and time spent on a mod. I think you don't know what you're talking about.

And if you think you can state that 39$ is money well spent on a 7K toy you're right in a kind of way. But I think that mods in general are way overpriced. 600-900 dollar on a topper alone? Come on guys. This is way too much.

Your last statement on creating that 3D print myself. I will, don't worry about that.

#2132 2 years ago
Quoted from acedanger:

lol folks here that spend thousands of dollars are some of the cheapest motherfuckers out there lol just buy the kits... kinda hack.

3 thoughts on this:

1. Stern Insider Connect kits aren't widely available, at least, here in EU they're nowhere to be found.
2. I think for home use, when you don't have parties a lot, 1 scanner is sufficient. I own 5 stern spike 2 machines, so next to my Godzilla I need to purchase 4 additional kits for €249 each giving that a total of €996. ($1130). For me this is a no-brainer to spend like €16 on a switcher. As an IT guy I always have cat-5 utp cable available on a spindle of 100meter (300ft).
3. I think there is a certain amount of gratification in creating something yourself instead of just spending another euro on something overpriced (although I think that 200 dollar is a fair price for the insider kit).

I will first try this "hack", if I think this isn't working like i would it to then I will order addtional insider connect kits. Maybe some kind of hybrid situation will be found. With that I mean that my popular machines will be fitted with a dedicated reader and my somewhat less played machines will be on a switcher.

Time will tell.

#2149 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

1. You sound awefully rude and confrontational.
2. I wouldn't go around bragging about your prices when those quiet fan kits of yours are 50% more than Pinmonk lol.
[quoted image][quoted image]

1. Sorry I stepped on your toes man. Are you okay??

2. Those fans are the el-cheapo versions. I deliver the maglev version which doens't wear out over time. But I'm sure you know all about that.

#2150 2 years ago

So, a few technical things I found based on the UTP switcher as described in this thread:

1. The uSD card can be any one. I put in a 32GB sized one and this was being recognized and formatted.
2. I ordered a startech USB150WN1X1W (which should be compatible) but that didn't work unfortunately. At that point I decided to utilize the wired network option and leave WIFI for what it is. The UTP cable can be plugged in to the port on the above side of the spike-2 board.
3. There is no need to plug in the reader wire (coming from the switcher) on the node board under the playfield. It can be connected to the cpu board on the below side of that board. (Unless you got a topper plugged in, then this socket is taken and you need to route your cable the the node board on the playfield.

I am routing the network cable (green band) and the reader cable (red band) through the hole in the top of the head and plug both into the CPU board. I ran the cabling for 4 machines to the left of my machines and plugged them in to a network switch (green) and a -yet to be delivered- manual physical switch (red).

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2152 2 years ago
Quoted from KnockerPTSD:

The irony that you are now defending the cost of the mod you sell is lost on you obviously. I'm don't with you. We get it, you don't want to pay $39 for a mod you can save a few bucks making yourself. Cool. You don't come across as ridiculously cheap or anything.
Now where is that button???

Say what? I only defend my own product as this is a more quality item you are referring to. There is no irony to be found here, I assure you.
That piece of plastic will cost around 1 dollar to produce. It'll take half an hour to print. I am only stating that 39 dollars is way too expensive in my opinion compared to the cost.

But hey, you don't agree. Lets leave it at that.

2 weeks later
#2340 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:Has anybody installed one with a UV kit that can confirm that it works? Stern says that the pro kit isn't compatible with the pro + UV.

Mine works fine too. I only don't use the wifi adapter but have my machines connected via a network cable to my switch.

Have you updated to version 1.05?, added the uSD card? Is the white led turning on on the reader (first bright, after it initializes it gets a bit dim).

1 week later
#2390 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Here's a pic of inside the coin door. It actually worked out a lot cleaner than I expected. Each of the rightmost cat5 cables run to a connector in the head of each of my games.
I'll gladly share the .stl, but I just have a couple of tweaks I'd like to make and test for a "final" version before I do that.[quoted image]

Great work sir. Glad to see you want to share your file in order to give something to the community.

But this is a super clean solution, i think it's even better than mounting in to the apron.

#2399 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredso:

I got a pro kit and a premium. One had an apron, one did not. Same price.

So: always buy the pro kit, sell the apron.

(Yeah I know, not all prems are able to mount the reader on the current apron)

1 week later
#2463 2 years ago
Quoted from torpedo2k:

What if you play at home without pants?

As long as you keep the cam in the apron you're safe I guess.

#2514 2 years ago
Quoted from purbeast:

As someone who likes to tinker you all are making me wonder if it would be as simple as just getting any old QR reader and it's just sending data over the rj45 connection and the node board/software is handling everything else.
Like would something like these 3 things just "work" lol.
reader - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000239005664.html
usb -> rj45 adapter - amazon.com link »
You'd need some kind of extension cable obviously but I wonder if it would be as simple as that and figuring out how to mount it properly.

It's RJ45 alright but it's no ethernet. Please be aware of that. If you look on the spike-2 cpu board on top there is 1 ethernet port so you can hook your machine via a UTP cable to your network via the ethernet standard.
The bottom side of your spike-2 cpu board houses 3 UTP connections for connecting the node board, qr-reader, topper etc to your cpu board. This is a propriatary bus and I think (don't know for sure) this is a stern standard. It utilizes UTP cabling but the similarities stop there.

Your USB to RJ45 adaptes will not function.

#2532 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

That damn micro SD card was driving me nuts...Took over 10+ tries to get the system to detect it and finally format it and got the IC up and running. Kept on saying "Not installed" even though it was inserted properly. Very Finicky item. Hope it works when I try again after work today. The IC is a Cool item.

Maybe the card is formatted and you need to clear it.

On a windows machine open disk management, right click on the volume you want to remove and click on "delete volume". After that your card is ready and will be formatted by the insider connect software.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#2593 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I did specifically request a 16gb card when I spoke with Cust service. They Stated that 2 games need 32GB USB Cards (Rush and Elvira) . I told them that in the Gomez video they show a 16 gb card, but for my replacement card they sent me another 32gb and said it should work just fine - LZ for example, can use either a 32 or 16. I have a new CPU headed my way (if they have extra ones for warranty issues), but maybe I should go out and pick up a 16GB card just to try and rule it out. I find it hard to believe I have a faulty reader as I did get it hooked up once (after literally 50+ tries haha) But as stated, it could easily go unnoticed during QC check since it isn't being used at that time. maybe a 16 would do the trick - I'll pick one up to try. I'd love to save Stern and GAP the hassle of extra work/ inventory if possible. I appreciate any tips to get this thing setup - thank you!

I got a 32GB in Stranger Things and Jurassic Park. No problem whatsoever.

2 weeks later
#2694 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

"future updates" is all we get but on their marketing site we have tons of pictures of info, analytics, give outs, player info and location details.... ugh maybe in 2025.

Your negativity is not what keeps a good thread running. Back off please.

#2695 2 years ago
Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Here's my DYI solution for moving it from game to game. An old DMD glare guard, magnets and some hotglue will do. Just run Ethernet into head and plug in. Does anybody know if a CAT5 splitter will work if I have a game that has a topper? I was reading some reviews that those splitters only let one computer at a time connect to the Internet or something didn't know if this would be a problem.
[quoted image]

Just use a RJ45 switch (no network switch!!!, but a physical RJ45 switch) as described in this thread instead of moving around that scanner.

A splitter will work of you have a topper. There is no ethernet protocol being sent over that RJ45 connected cable. Look at this as a canbus system in your car.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 999.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 23.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, TN
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

10,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tatamy, PA
$ 210.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Virginia Beach, VA
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

Pinball Machine
Mad Pinball Shop

$ 2.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Chrome Candy

€ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Chrome Candy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider harried.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=harried and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.