stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#537 2 years ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

Probably would require some special glass with embedded sensors that would only work with specific IR or prox sensors...yeah not sure how they would/could pull it off...which is why they probably limited this "verified" idea to location play

Yeah...okay....

My 80 buck 3d printer curing station can tell whether the lid is on or off with a sticker that says "DO NOT REMOVE" and an opto set.....but Stern's detection would have to be super complicated? I don't think so. Any measures they take to ensure glass is on can be easily and swiftly defeated. Period.

#634 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Stern gives out swag... but a drop at a time.

We rarely ever had any issues getting stuff from Stern in my area for local tournaments or leagues. I'm not sure if you meant "drop" as one shipment, or meaning as a slow flow. What they sent us any time one of our people requested stuff was very generous, I feel. Sure, you can tell that the stuff they send out are "seconds" (over-saturated translites, primarily), but it's better than it going to a landfill, and it's more than adequate for wall art.

#640 2 years ago

I gotcha, Flynn. I understand what you're saying. You're right there. If the plan is to provide swag on Stern's side, NOT the location/route op doing it....I don't know how that is going to work either.

Quoted from Walk:

most of you are apparent prophets telling of microtransactions, paid DLCs, monthly fees, security breaches

Uh, maybe because all of these things have already happened on console and PC games. I'm sure Stern has a bigger budget than...oh... Epic Games, right? You know...the guys that make Fortnite?

This statement is really akin to what people have said in the past about scam pinball companies, price increases in the industry ("Why's everyone freaking out, it's only a few hundred dollars more!"... sure...every 6 months it's a few hundred dollars more than 6 months ago), DLC in videogames (Anyone remember "horse armor" in TES4:Oblivion, and how the argument was split 50/50 on if DLC would become a big deal or not. I said it wouldn't...I was clearly wrong.) etc...

There's a very obvious trajectory here, and while I don't think DLC in pinball is the end of the world (I largely ignore gaming DLC on consoles and PC and don't feel like I've missed much!), it would be really stupid of Stern to pass on an obviously proven successful revenue stream. To believe at this point that these companies are giving ANYTHING away for free is....well....

#651 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

NFTs could be cool.

I'll sell you a pinball related NFT if you want one that badly. Low low price of 6k for some pinball related pixel art drawn in MS Paint!

#652 2 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

You are wise.

IT LIVES?!

#654 2 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Back in the early days of MMOGs I had quite a collection of NFTs but then Blizzard dumbed down the game and they instantly devalued.

.......are we talking about the same thing?

#676 2 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

I'm very curious what "affordably" actually means. Hopefully the actual price will be shared soon.

How is that even relevant anymore when the price of LE's doubled in the last 10 years, and they're selling more games than ever?

Nobody cares. They will sell thousands of add on kits, regardless of price. They aren't saying because they know it's higher than home collectors will want it to be. We already know what the relative price increase is. Look at the price bump on the Pro models.

Quoted from epthegeek:

I loved both those games, and neither one ever got a decent follow up. Le sigh.

Burnout Paradise was TERRIBLE compared to the prior Burnout game. *edit* A terrible BURNOUT game. It's a great Need for Speed game.

#680 2 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

I think it was Burnout Revenge, and that was my favorite one. I never got tired of wrecking cars. Burnout Paradise was all too much and required way too much thought. Just let me wreck shit.
It's like the difference between Gears of War and that new strategic one. Who the hell wants to think that much when you're playing a video game?
Oh...and sorry to continue this off-topic discussion. Back to Stern now...

This is exactly my point. Like....the entire series was more or less about causing the most carnage as possible, and then they just turned it into Need for Speed Beach Edition. Burnout in name only. Other people may have enjoyed that, and they probably thought that was a way to get more people interested, but....well..I'll just leave this here and be done:

"For example, despite the success of Burnout Paradise, EA — who purchased Criterion back in 2004 — tasked the developer with creating a new entry in the Need for Speed series. Flash forward to EA's press conference at E3 2010, where the publisher announced Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, a back-to-its-roots title featuring some of that much-loved Burnout style and panache.

Read More: https://www.svg.com/145261/whatever-happened-to-the-burnout-games/?utm_campaign=clip"

#682 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

How unhappy were you to think Burnout Paradise was terrible.

I love how the assumption is that I'm somehow flawed because I didn't like that they chose a direction that was so far away from what the prior games were that it was no longer the same game.

Are you even serious? I'm sorry, do you love every single game you touch? Are you simply a sheep that follows reviews and everyone else's words, and you have no personal taste in games? It's not like I didn't give it a fair shake. I bought the original release, and then I bought the remaster. Neither me or my wife liked Paradise, and we played the hell out of Revenge.

They got their money twice from me, so I'm more than allowed to be honest about how I feel about the game.....especially without moronic comments like the one you just made.

*edit* I'm pretty bloody sure I still own both physical copies as well.

*edit 2* You don't see the irony in the fact that they made such a good Need for Speed game (that wasn't titled Need for Speed), that they ended up making ACTUAL Need for Speed games?

#698 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

Yeah what made Burnout out great was you didn't have to listen to all the screaming pubescent boys trying to prove how tough they were

Both a blessing and a curse, really. The game felt a *little* backwater due to that lack of communication...but you're not wrong there. Overall I agree it was more of a positive than a drawback, just because people are douchebags. I've been in GTA Online and holy crap what a garbage heap that is. And even my kids will openly talk about how bad COD is. My older son plays competitive Overwatch for his high school team (made it to 2nd round of National finals for their league) and he bags on COD all the time due to how ridiculous the "community" is.

4 weeks later
#1011 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Will I pay $0.004 for the extra cheese?

How do you do that exactly? Dremel down a penny?

#1014 2 years ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

Nah, it's just a penny from 2019

Burn! Well done.

#1175 2 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Tried to sign up.
Typo'd my email and didn't notice because my old man vision is blurry these days.
Finish the process.
Don't get the email.
Go back and re-read the "we sent you email" page. See the mistake.
Try to sign up again with the proper email.
"Username is taken".
RIP.

Usernames must be more than 5 characters.

Uh...yeah.......well..... f...r...a....x.........1...2....3.....4........F-----

#1187 2 years ago

Wouldn't be the first time LOL.

I figured something else out that will no doubt irk someone, somewhere.

#1193 2 years ago
Quoted from JStoltz:

xXx--69--FRAX--69--xXx is still available, can't believe you didn't go with that!

This is pinball, not Xbox Live. ;0

#1210 2 years ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

May be complications with apple wanting a cut of all their subs. Same deal with xbox and others

At some point consumers are going to have to realize they're part of the problem for going along with Apple's BS. Epic tried to remedy this issue, but made a poor case, and positioned their argument badly after agreeing to the contract and then violating it.

The solution is......per the courts... "Don't use Apple, unless you're cool losing 30% of your revenue, because that's not stifling anyone else from NOT charging 30%."

#1223 2 years ago
Quoted from Smack:

If I had to guess this is to support some of the badges you can earn such as, play Godzilla in Rome which was shown in the presentation. There were also planned badges for events like Expo. Geolocation would identify you at those locations, some of which time specific like Expo.

Time to spoof my GPS!

#1351 2 years ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

+ an new SD card
+ the node board
+ E-net cable
+ others

sd card, 5 bucks for 32 GB
Ethernet cable 5 foot CAT6 1.69 from Monoprice

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Discos Pinball Mod Shop

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 385.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Richmond, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Union, KY
$ 26.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Land O' Lakes, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

$ 3,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 35.50
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 125.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
PINBALLPICKERS

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frax.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=frax and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.