stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider duderegular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 2 years ago

Podcast on their site is up with George Gomez as well.

#38 2 years ago
Quoted from Zambonilli:

Pretty disappointing first crack at connectivity honestly. This feels like a knee jerk response to Scorbit and not stepping back and finding ways to make the game more engaging for the player with no constraints. For example, why QR codes and not some sort of wireless connectivity like bluetooth or NFC? Another example, why not have a rich app that lets you see how you drained and helps you learn how to not drain the same way. Doing an awkward QR code dance for leaderboards and a personal scoreboards is a bit of a let down. Hopefully, this is just a v1 and they're thinking of more but pretty me too offering to start.

Did you listen to George discuss it on the podcast? It sounds like it does quite a bit more than Scorbit. I think Scorbit is awesome by the way.

#66 2 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

how many gonna play with glass off

He addresses this in the podcast as well. He said there will be some achievements that will be "Verified" as coming from location games. The podcast has a ton of info. Highly recommend folks check it out.

#74 2 years ago

I understand some concerns or skepticism, but I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Stern is leading the industry for a reason. I think this is a big step forward and I have high hopes. Looking forward to seeing more details as they are available.

Also in the podcast he gives some nice hype for the upcoming Keith game in September.

#300 2 years ago

If there is anything that can generate a ton of feedback its that dirty ol topic called CHANGE. Folks want change and innovation. Innovation and change are presented and people are angry.

The most successful pinball company of the last 20+ years has been working on this technology and platform for a significant period of time yet random internet folks already know its crap. Makes perfect sense.

#305 2 years ago

#355 2 years ago
Quoted from Darscot:

I just think operators would have been far more likely to get on board if they just had to print out a sticker and connect the pins online. I don't pretend to know a lot about operators but I have never heard tale of one that likes to put unnecessary money into a pin.

They want the game to recognize you as a player so they need to have the reader as well.

In the video just posted today, George even addresses the games with unique aprons and that they will have a solution.

These "gotchas" folks are coming up with are addressed already in most cases.

#362 2 years ago

George explains why they made the decisions. For speed. For ease of use. Some folks just want to argue. Thats fine. Enjoy.

#464 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Did Gomez say you can update code over the internet?

George said something along the lines of code updates being the least exciting part of this platform. I understand that as it will be a feature.

#506 2 years ago

You can also likely simply screenshot your qr code and put in your camera gallery or camera roll.

#511 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

:
I signed up for the basic Stern Insider program and I don't see a QR code coming up on the Stern website.
It appears that you have to pay $39.00 for an upgrade in order to get that code, which will not be happening in my case.

Because it isn't live yet....

#625 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

You are giving Stern WAY too much credit.
They could do all this stuff but there’s nothing in their history that suggests they will. Everything you mentioned used to get looked at with pre-release location testing. They certainly aren’t going to make physical changes to existing games based on the data. Maybe some software tweaks but that’s not likely either. This is all about marketing the existing product, not improving it.

Come on man.... You haven't seen software improvements?

I had Stranger things very near launch and had direct emails with Brian Eddy. I sent him audit logs and feedback. The code changed a ton over time and now the game is sought after.

4 months later
#2442 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

So do you think Stern will keep supporting this and keep the servers online? Would suck to invest into upgrading pins with it and then have it obsolete in a couple years. Disclaimer I love it. I want to upgrade my Avengers and Elvira at some point.

Yes. It is a major effort for them and will be a focal point going forward. They have been diversifying their products for years.

#2516 2 years ago
Quoted from Biju:

Thanks--the reason I'm asking is because I'm having a difficult time believing I can't make these myself. The only piece I think that's proprietary is the game code update and the micro-SD card they install which I'm guessing you can image onto another card. The QR codes aren't "real" by typical standards so you'd just need to pass a non-code into the node board as I highly doubt the reader itself is doing anything other than passing a code to the board.
Perhaps someone has already tried this and I'm missing the obvious.

The SD card gets formatted during install. It doesn't have anything on it in the kit. Hence the folks using a switch to bounce between games with one QR reader component. You can get away with a generic WiFi dongle and microsd card.

#2538 2 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

Where is everyone ordering IC kits. Have JP, Munsters LE and Batman 66.... thinking of giving a try.....

Got one through Flipnout. I had emailed them right when it was all announced and received the kit a couple weeks ago.

#2588 2 years ago
Quoted from John-Floyd:

I did specifically request a 16gb card when I spoke with Cust service. They Stated that 2 games need 32GB USB Cards (Rush and Elvira) . I told them that in the Gomez video they show a 16 gb card, but for my replacement card they sent me another 32gb and said it should work just fine - LZ for example, can use either a 32 or 16. I have a new CPU headed my way (if they have extra ones for warranty issues), but maybe I should go out and pick up a 16GB card just to try and rule it out. I find it hard to believe I have a faulty reader as I did get it hooked up once (after literally 50+ tries haha) But as stated, it could easily go unnoticed during QC check since it isn't being used at that time. maybe a 16 would do the trick - I'll pick one up to try. I'd love to save Stern and GAP the hassle of extra work/ inventory if possible. I appreciate any tips to get this thing setup - thank you!

Hopefully the new card sorts you out. It could be an issue with the tiny solder joints used on the microsd card slot though.

2 months later
#2993 1 year ago
Quoted from LeMansFan:

Please excuse what may be a dumb question as I am borderline computer illiterate.
I know that there's some sort of cable that needs to go from the IC reader to one of the node boards (node board 8 I think). I do have the official instructions, just not here with me now. I just want to know if I have that cable already, or if I need to make a trip to Best Buy. It's a cable that looks like the type you'd plug into your modem. I have a bunch of Cat 5e cables just sitting around. Will those work for this application? Does it matter what color they are? I think I have them in black, yellow, and blue.
Thanks in advance.

Should be fine yes.

#2999 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

Has anyone else had issues getting Wi-Fi to work when connecting to a network without a password? I am trying to hook up my Rush Pro, but it always says “unable to connect”. When I add a password to the network, it connects fine.

I thought I read somewhere that open networks won't work. It needs a secured network as far as I know.

1 month later
#3100 1 year ago
Quoted from Anony:

That's too bad, I assumed it could all be handled by a software update but maybe not.

Its all part of the spike system with the QR reader being another node board. I think its all spike 2 lcd games most likely. Maybe an outside chance of spike 1 games, but doubtful.

1 week later
#3127 1 year ago

I don't see how to set this up for my home account. Is it only for pro accounts right now?

#3146 1 year ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

It’s under the “stern events” tab.

Ya I saw that. That is a cool thing to jump into a global leaderboard for sure. I was referring to running one at my house for my connected machines. Having a little daily competition would be cool.

I do have the iScored setup, but tying directly to the machines is a really cool deal. I am sure it will come to home users at some point.

#3200 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

If you remove a retro fit kit from a game when selling it, is it ok to remove the micro sd card or does that need to stay in and just remove the scanner and dongle?

I removed the card and had no issues.

#3218 1 year ago
Quoted from Soltic:

Hmmm, strange, my son and I made it on the board the first day it was running on our home machine…
It was fun that day but being that the board doesn’t at least differentiate / track basics like code version or who’s running 5-ball games kinda takes away any desire to bother w/ it.
Am I being too pessimistic?

Creating your own personal leaderboards right now is not available to home owners. Home owners can participate in the Stern world wide leaderboards.

#3245 1 year ago
Quoted from PoMC:

There's not a way to unregister a game from the game Settings? Got a Godzilla on a temp trade and it's still registered to the original owner I guess...not the guy I traded with (he's 2nd owner at least).
If there's not a way to unregister from the game itself, well, then there needs to be. No way I can track down some random original owner and ask for it to be unregistered.

Not that I have seen. It currently is only available in the account page for the original registration. Probably have to email Stern about it until they change that.

3 weeks later
#3459 1 year ago
Quoted from UnnDunn:

I feel like if you can access the operator menu, you should be able to un-register the machine no questions asked. Maybe give a 7-day period for the original registered owner to block it via email, but if they don't respond, the change should go through automatically.

Someone posted that you can unregister a game through the in-game service menus, but it probably requires very recent code on it. I think I saw it in the Godzilla thread.

1 week later
#3550 1 year ago
Quoted from Jazman:

Ok, so if Home Team doesn't require you to scan the code, can you you just add the wifi adapter yourself to get the connected features? The WiFi adapter they are including in the kit is $22 at Amazon. I can't see a reason to need anything more than that for home use. The scanner is irrelevant and doesn't warrant the $200 price tag (at least not for me).
So, can someone from Stern comment about whether I can do that? I will plan to watch the video they sent to see if they say anything...
EDIT: Since it looks like it needs to enroll you once with the scanner, guessing it would still be required. Seems like they could just do it by letting you enter your login credentials when setting it up the first time...

Unless things have changed, pretty sure insider connected doesn't work on a machine unless the MPU can see the scanner and its associated node board.

3 weeks later
#3825 1 year ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Right, I want to sign up again but theres nowhere I can find to click to do so. Its not in their shop and clicking my membership does nothing. I swear I'm not a boomer I've searched all over but it seems like theres nowhere I can renew or even sign up again.

I thought someone else mentioned that they auto-renew.

3 weeks later
#3969 1 year ago
Quoted from Nikko:

Thanks guys - appreciate it! He "Unregistered" so I'll give it a try tonight after work. If I remember correctly I have to scan a code in the Service Menu under IC for me to add it to my game room, correct? Then it should walk me through the rest of it?

Yep, then you go on the insider website to confirm the game. I think it emails you the link also. Then its there in your account.

#3979 1 year ago
Quoted from sirlonzelot:

Did the all access membership have beta code support ? Like to test the new Godzilla code

I have never heard of that.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

5,980 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
9,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ypsilanti, MI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
Chrome Candy

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
Chrome Candy

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
Playfield - Plastics
The Electric Playground

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 79.99
$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Kingston, OK
€ 168.00
Lighting - Backbox
Watssapen shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider duderegular.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=duderegular and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.