Screenshot_20220705-225627_Brave (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240303-160259 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240303-160308 (resized).png
IMG_7516 (resized).png
Screenshot_20240302-195526 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1031 Notes directly from Stern's presentation to Stern Army members. Posted by chuckwurt (2 years ago)

Post #1043 Additional notes from the Stern presentation. Posted by Smack (2 years ago)

Post #2423 Stern Splitter for IC on Batman 66 and other amazingly loaded games! Posted by NeilMcRae (2 years ago)

Post #3320 Methods for leaderboards on location. Posted by davegauth (1 year ago)

Post #4641 Info regarding which chipsets in the dongles are likely to work. Posted by TrixTrix (1 year ago)

Post #4880 Sharing QR readers still works after Apr 20 2023 IC update Posted by ChrisBardon (11 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtrimberger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#638 2 years ago

Some further thoughts for discussion:

1. As a primarily home based pinball player with a 10 and 13 year old the family competition for all of the minor high scores on our pins gets pretty fierce. I'm looking forward to printing off some Qr codes for the kids as well to try for more of the new awards

2. in regards to the above discussion on problems with parity in a TOPs tourney, would a golf-like handicap system be doable using insider connected? Basically if you're a really good player you're awarded your score on the screen, those of us who are mere pinball mortals get extra points which adjusts the better we play on average.

3. Speaking of the 10 year old, she loves these new arcade games (batman and minecraft) that award a card when you play well. You can then use the card to start a character the next time you play with better skills, weapons, tools etc. (these games are damn expensive btw, steer your children away).

Something similar could be used in pinball so that Xaqery Dwight sullivan could finally make his RPG pinball game. I roll up to the pin with my Level 80 (start deeper in the game) Rogue (longer ball save) with Twin Daggers of Venom (opponent has slowed flippers).

5 months later
#2724 2 years ago
Quoted from Cdonnerusmc:

Once stern releases the Stars wars LE apron and Batman 66 LE apron I'll have all the spike 3 Limited Edition machines online. (Other than the Beatles) ‍♂️ Can't wait to see how this evolves, seems like a lot of possibilities now that they're online. Feel free to add me "GameOverLC" and if you're ever in Lincoln City Oregon hit me up.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Is this lineup in Lincoln City?!?!?!? If yes, definitely need to get out there now.

3 months later
#3306 1 year ago
Quoted from gblack:

It looks like they are starting to add stuff for home users. If you go to https://insider.sternpinball.com/account/machines and click on a machine it now shows high scores. It used to just show code version. This isn't going to work for a leaderboard display, but it shows they are storing that data on home machines as well. My assumption is they are close to rolling out leaderboards for home.

A couple weeks ago during the Godzilla IC stream on Dead Flip I asked Jack about IC leaderboards for home and he said not "yet" with what seemed like some optimism/emphasis on "yet".

1 year later
#5967 24 days ago

So is the way to play this somewhat like a “entry card” type format?

I have 3 pins at home with IC. I put up a score on GZ today that is very good for me so I’m going to leave that one alone to work on scores on my other 2 pins.

My Iron Maiden scores tend to be ok, they should help boost ORs state average as I think my scores are better than average for most OR players and it’s a relatively common routed game here so we’ll need to put up some good numbers to keep the average up.

Finally I have a BM66 which seems rare around the state, both routed and owned. That would seem to to be the pin I should try to work the most on cause my score will actually carry some weight.

Anybody else working on their own home or location strategy?

#5976 23 days ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

I like the idea, not the implementation
It should be each game has the top 5% highest scores, bottom 5% lowest score form an upper and lower average bound for each game title. That is set to a 0-100 point scale. When you play a game, your best score is a point value from 0-100 that would correspond with where you rank. Your best individual machine score gets sent to the state, those add up and are divided by the total state players that played.
That way each game has roughly equal weight, even though games like BKSOR and TMNT score way less than games like Godzilla. Because right now why bother playing TMNT? It'll add basically nothing to the total state average.

I read think I'm reading into the rules a little differently and in a way that all their titles contribute.

"Your team's score is calculated based on the average daily high scores of the players on each title in your state"

So all the TMNT high scores, per player, per day are averaged together then added to the score

Reading it as you do: TMNT scoring is low so will contribute little to the overall score when combined with the likes of Godzilla and Jaws
Reading it another way: If you're able to somehow blow up TMNT then your contribution from TMNT for your state will be relatively greater than another states giving your state a small but potentially important advantage
Reading it a third way: The best option would be to find the best combination of rare IC pin (BM66, Aerosmith, BKSOR) AND potential for high scores (BM66). You're looking for the pin that you can score high on that may be hard for another state to find, therefore relatively elevating your scores higher than another state. I believe BM66 has the most potential for this.

Or you could just score 3 trillion and wreck the whole thing.

#5994 22 days ago

Wow, some of y'all "You can't make me have fun and I'm going to make sure you know it!!"

I think we just play it for what it is. Stern will gather a ton of information and tweak it for their next event. They're going to need to hire a Phd in statistics to keep us happy though it seems (TBF would be a cool job). If we all play along realizing these things might not be perfect than I'm confident Stern will continue to adjust their system.

They could have just accepted Eric's score and then made a note that at the start of the next round they would throw out all scores for the states that advanced and start over or start a system where those at the upper and lower side of the statistical mean were thrown out.

I've found it fun to watch and it's given me another reason to play all my pins in a single night.

#6013 20 days ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

All good Richard, it is all in good fun and I ike the discussion. He played the game and is good enough to work out a way to score massive points.. That is what every comp player does. Stern have sorted the scoring imbalance.
There are some amazing players in this hobby. I think it will happen again before the end of the comp!

Yup, all this likely did was piss off Eric so that he now goes and blows up BM66

#6054 17 days ago
Quoted from hypnotoad:

Notice to all GA players. Don't play Batman 66 today.

Conversely, if any of you from Florida near... checks map... Brunswick, GA can drive north and do us all a favor and put in crap game us other states would be greatful.

Quoted from chuckwurt:

Looks like the score is legit. On location on a B66

How'd you figure this out btw?

Edit: NM, simple as looking for the only 2 IC Batmans on location in the state and then looking at the scores.

I was hoping you had a way to see the IC high scores in each state. We could then figure out how our own high scores compare to the rest of states and determine if we're helping or hindering. I'm 99.9% sure where I land on that.

#6059 17 days ago
Quoted from Mleiter:

Isn't it an average of all Stern games? Not just Batman '66?

Reread your previous post with the rules description. It's average of high scores of each title each day added together. So a pin like BM66 has huge weight because of its points available. BM66 is additionally unique because IC versions are rare so less chance of low scores bringing down a really high score.

#6064 16 days ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

That's what I've been doing. Just playing pinball as normal. It is what it is. Hence my mocking of the weird shit people are doing to try to win.

That's fine as well.

I don't think any of us are playing that much differently other than I'm playing my BM66 more in the hopes that my pitiful high scores contribute to the overall score for OR. It's also made me play Stern machines more this month so success to Stern for that I suppose.

Mostly its just been fun to strategize a system and imagine where this might lead for IC moving forward.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99,999.99
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 210.00
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Shelby, NC
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Interactive
$ 299.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 22.95
Playfield - Plastics
RGP Models
Plastics
Machine - For Sale
Carmel Hamlet, NY
$ 50.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dtrimberger.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=dtrimberger and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.