stern (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_133535_Facebook (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240306_112422_Stern IC (resized).jpg
IMG_0285 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240303-210941 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider doublestack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4309 1 year ago
Quoted from davegauth:

As a follow up for operator looking to install Leaderboards on location.
Summary first: I'm going with Option 1 below. I like the idea of making additional signage/advertising that can be rotated on the display. Different leaderboards can also be rotated on the display. Being able to turn on and off wby themselves is also a big plus. One twist I will try is to use an HDMI splitter so 1 account can run 2 displays. I'll grab a couple of TV's on Prime day too...
Option 1 - Setup a Leader Board using Yodek (Sign Service, using Rasberry Pi) - 1 free Screen, Can get a Rasberry Pi included with yearly subscription, can turn Tv on and off at set times. Because it is a signage service, you can do a ton more than just.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Quick-Start-Yodeck-Insider-Connected-Leaderboard-Operator-Set-up-Guide.pdf
Option 2 - Using Android TV This link shows how to use the ONN stick or box connected to your TV. I do not know if this can turn on and off your TV, or if the APP will automatically launch on start up.
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Quick-Start-Android-TV-Insider-Connected-Leaderboard-Operator-Set-up-Guide.pdf
Option 3 - Just use a Smart TV and use the/a web browser app in it to display the website. This works, as I tried it on my home TV - but it's cumbersome as you will need to turn the TV on and navigate to the Browser APP every time you turn it on.
Option 4 - Use a Fire TV stick or a Tv running Fire TV and download the Simple Tv Display app($20). This is supposed to automatically boot and default to the web page. Not sure if the Fire Tv's cna be set to turn on and off by themselves at set times though. A big consideration is Amazon prime day is just a week away and all the Amazon Fire TV devices and Tv's will probably be available for a big discount.

Regarding option 4.

This will work better than I expected. That app will self boot after a startup or power cycle. If you put your monitor/TV on a timer this can be a complete package on location.

Also do not put auto scaling as a default setting on the app. On my TV it cut off names and scores.

This really is the easiest low cost method I've found for operators on location at this point. Any other ops out there that want to share any tips or strategies with leaderboards, please post them up.

1 week later
#4349 1 year ago
Quoted from davegauth:

My insider pro account seems to be having some issues - can not see my machines or locations on the pro tab. Probably temporary, but just a heads up incase others are having issues right now.

Quoted from PinballHaven:

Same, all day today. There was a planned outage last night I think?

Same here, and I don't know if it is related but one of my locations all of the machines went offline and wouldn't reconnect until I went into the settings and did a new setup for wifi. Very odd. Didn't have time to check other locations.

#4352 1 year ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Glad I'm not the only one having issues with IC today. Went to a properly connected location and it logged me in after a very long delay (like 30+ seconds) when its usually instantaneous. It recorded my scores while I was playing on the website, but no achievements that should've been earned.
I guess there are some issues with the maintenance that happened today.

Yea I noticed the lag logging in to IC as a player too.

#4389 1 year ago
Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

I run 7 games on location. One place I get 100% the other is 90/10 split. Make a couple grand with it and sell it for close to what you paid. It’s a damn good business

It’s all location dependent and it hasn’t always been what you’ve been experiencing currently.

In 2013 routing pins was pure novelty.

Good times and bad times like everything else.

#4417 1 year ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Portrait kiosk mode and player that can output in vertical mode (or get a monitor that supports that kind of format). Having the player doing it means any tv will work. (Tho CEC support for power management helps)

What are you running flynn? The yodeck?

4 weeks later
#4516 1 year ago

Has anyone installed an IC kit on a stranger things pro with the UV kit installed? I noticed the apron from the UV kit has a hole cut horizontally on the right side and possibly is ready to have IC installed.

I haven’t received the kit yet, just curious if anyone’s done it.

#4518 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Yes. That horizontal cutout is for the IC kit so it can fit with the UV.

Great, thanks!

1 week later
#4545 1 year ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Just to update. I borrowed a friends firestick, bought the app and had an old 32" tv to hang at the bar... in testing this setup is working! Only pain is you have to be on site to change the URL when the leaderboard updates, which isn't a huge deal. You change the url via the app settings w/ the firestick remote. Going to try and hang this tv tonight!

It works and also auto loads the app from a power reset or outage. You just have to update the URL monthly or whenever you change the leaderboard. Also one $20 fee gets unlimited usage across multiple fire sticks, for a few locations it does work out nice.

1 week later
#4589 1 year ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Does anybody know if there is a way to publicly display the insider leader board as a URL without the need to have to log into an Insider Connected account first?
Back story - I've just purchased the 'Simple TV' app for Amazon Fire Stick and I'm attempting to have it display the Insider Leaderboards of a location I operate. My plan was to set up a plug and play system for that will automatically display the latest leaderboard scores when the location switches on the monitor (with firestick) along with the games each day. I've copied the location's leaderboard URL from the Pro section of my Insider account and placed this into the Simple TV App as the page I want to display, but I've hit a snag - the Stern website is redirecting the URL to a log in page each time the monitor is switched back on, which is a problem.

I use the exact same setup in one of my locations and it does not require a login for me. I have it on refresh every hour.

3 weeks later
#4675 1 year ago
Quoted from davegauth:

Operators/Pro - I'm still seeing the disconnect between game counts on the main page and game count in the per game breakout.
I have not followed the clock and data posting enough to see if there is any correlations.

Yep it’s still present. I can’t find a correlation to when their clock restarts. Almost appears to be mid day, if it was just an hour or two off at midnight we wouldn’t notice it.

The main page which shows plays today totals per location appears correct, when you open up the location the numbers are then all off on plays per machine on the current day.

#4678 1 year ago
Quoted from davegauth:

Watching it a little more. It appeared as though the detailed play screen seamed stopped updating play counts as of around 3-4 pm. When midnight came it looks like everything reset; however, the detailed screen didnt reset to zero. All the games still show a lingering count associated with them.

Definitely odd since they had this running reliably for quite some time.

#4714 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I just had two different games on my location pop up with left right flipper button and left right flipper EOS operator errors. Like 10 total. Anybody else seeing this? I'm doubting two separate games lost ability to detect flipper button presses at the same time.[quoted image]

I get those as well. Has to be just an error, I’ve never had an actual problem with eos on any the games it reported errors on.

#4725 1 year ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Game came with version 1.21. It had this error and sound glitches. Updated to 1.23 and error went away and sound was fixed so I was thinking probably a bad download. But wondering if this error is what you guys are talking about? Game played just fine as if there weren't any errors.
[quoted image]

I’ll still get the actual tech alert on the screen like that along with the IC alert. If your trough is fine and confirming that through the switch test, just ignore it. It’s all good!

Quoted from OutlawTorn304:

Are the play counts still all screwed up? Mine are showing weird numbers that I don’t think are correct.

Yea it’s still a mess.

#4729 1 year ago
Quoted from davegauth:

But.. It also looks like it hasnt updated ANY play counts in the past 5-6 hours either.... hmmm

It’s way jacked now. I had plays from yesterday that stayed on todays count.

Still there as of now. At this point if IC can’t get this right, I have some doubts about anything working in the future.

1 week later
#4771 1 year ago

We have an operator account. It shows as PRO when I log in. It costs money, I'm not sure what your point is? I do not pay for insider plus. My player / home account is free and it does not say PRO when I am logged in there.

We use a pro account for location and it costs nothing.

His point is that we are not charged for pro accounts right now but most of us foresee it coming, and that the only paid feature of IC is insider plus.

4 weeks later
#4845 1 year ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

Why are my 28 days numbers less than my week numbers
This is a new ish location
[quoted image]

Because it’s never worked right since launch. We just got the daily working properly again, the 7 seems correct as well.

#4860 1 year ago

It appears to be daily is day zero, 7 day is days 1 through 8 working backwards in the calendar, and then 28 day is days is days 9 through 37 perhaps.
Horrible programming for a simple count, for sure.

I think you are correct. Its tough to figure out as we cant go through the data unless we log it ourselves and look at it.

A calendar day 1 monthly reset for the 28 days count would be at least a start, optimal would be letting us set what days the count starts/stops at.

5 months later
#5205 6 months ago

I believe there is a scale to fit option you need to turn to “off” in the app.

2 weeks later
#5243 6 months ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

but you don't want some money man to mess stuff up and when you have $8K games with + $1K DLC addones adding an $5-$10/mo per game online fee is to much.
and per player fees?? well you don't some accounting person to over rule people who say that game modes that only paid users can use must be locked on even in tournament play is an bad idea.

I can’t understand anything you just typed.

#5247 6 months ago
Quoted from Joe_Blasi:

for the price they want per game they should not charge golden tee like fees for online access.

Ahh ok I’m with you then.

1 week later
#5261 6 months ago

Looks like a prompt to download a stern insider app while on the site.

The link takes you to the AppStore and appears to not be available due to region.

#5264 6 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

As I understand it, it is in beta, and this means you can only get it if invited and via TestFlight (Apple's managed app test program). It's probably a mistake to put the app pointer on the main website at this stage.

Ahhh that makes sense. I’ve heard of test flight but don’t have it installed.

#5274 5 months ago
Quoted from Powersoft:

Why do you constantly need to sign in? Got the QR in my wallet. So fairly easy to access. Friends made a screenshot and have as a favorite photo. And login to website with password managers is as easy as it can get… you can place a link directly on your phone as it were an app. Site opens passwordmanager does the rest..
But yes an app is fancier and easier to use then a website….

I log in over 20 times a day to check on locations.

1 week later
#5335 5 months ago

Why are people buying $200 IC kits when there are no home leaderboards and then complaining about it?

If you stop buying the kits until they offer the features you want, maybe that will send the message….just a thought.

#5337 5 months ago
Quoted from EJS:

That’s a small complaint compared to the people who want the achievements and don’t care about leaderboards.
Most who care about this will just buy 1 kit to kick off their home team and then just buy MicroSD cards and run cable etc
200 for a kit is cheap compared to a lot of aftermarket parts, upgrades. I won’t mention toppers cause those almost cost more than most EM machines now.

I agree, it’s just still surprising that years after IC has been out that people are still buying kits and are shocked there are no home leaderboards.

#5339 5 months ago
Quoted from EJS:

Yeah…I mean the programming for leaderboards is there…it can already differentiate a home machine from a location machine. Just a little tweak from Stern and it could be done I bet. Perhaps they are trying to foster the competition at location machines.
Heck you could run TOPS tournaments at home. Though those were never connected I don’t believe (been awhile)

I don’t think tops are connected, but hey what a great way to integrate those into IC so people could see tops tournaments in their area in the new soon to be launched app!

Regardless you can definitely run a tops tourney at your house.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,399 (OBO)
$ 27.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

€ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 575.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Bling

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
New York, NY
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
HurryUpPinball

€ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 375.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinMod Industries

$ 154.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider doublestack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected?tu=doublestack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.